Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Glad you're back, GREAT... and with no "bear" experiences this time! I sure can relate to the being cold! That's what happens when you lose 100+ lb of insulation!!

36_1_26.gif

Hello everyone!

I haven't been on the computer in over two days! It kinda felt good, but I have been so busy this weekend and I missed reading about what all of you have been up to. I'm down a few pounds though, so thats good. I read everything that everyone posted, but it is just so much to keep track of, and it is getting super late here. Almost 2 am! I will post more tomorrow. It seems like I have so much to do in such a short amount of time. Deadlines for a procrastinator are the worst, but its the only way things will get done here!

Ok, I'll CB tomorrow. Way past my bedtime. Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

XO~ Meredith

Just checking in this morning. Nothing new to report except the my band is working alot better. I am still eating too fast. DH and I are both working on that. We had a birthday party for DGD yesterday. She was one. Yes, I had a piece of cake, but it did not go down good. That is a good thing.

Have a great day!

Good Morning All !! Now maybe I'll have time to post !! I've had a super busy wkend.

Laura~~~ so sorry to hear about your dad. I understand about being home and feeling bad about leaving your mom and dad, maybe you and your DH can go down on the wkend. I can also relate to the ups and downs of an illness, my MIL and mom both had cancer, in fact my MIL moved in with us so we could take care of her and take her to her treatments. One month she was improving, the next month, not so good. Hang in there and just know that we are all keeping you and your family in our prayers !!

Great~~~~ Glad you had a good time on your trip !! I love to go camping and looking at nature, or some of it, not so much the animals !! I hope, next yr, that we can go to my sis in Utah and go to Yellowstone !! We had plans to go this yr but the economy got in the way !!

My busy wkend started Friday when I got off work,about 3 wks ago, I ordered 60 pds of tomatoes, WHAT WAS I THINKING !!!! I make my own salsa and my DD1 wants to learn how to preserve veggies. So Friday night, I put up 7 qrts. of salsa. Sat.morning, I had to take my DGS to a town about 35 miles from home so he could ride in a parade with his mom. It was a watermelon festival, supposed to have the sweetest watermelons in the world. They were good, but I don't know about the best in the world. Got there at 9:oo a.m., stayed all day in the heat, got a bad sunburn, and left around 5:00p.m. He was so tired, he feel asleep on the way home, and slept until 8 that night and got up. I was already in bed so DH had to stay up with him. But that's o.k. cause DH has weird sleeping habits, so they stayed up till 1:00 a.m. After church, my DD1 and DGD came home with us to eat lunch and can her salsa. We put her 14 qrts. up, or I should say my DH and I canned her salsa, but she tried !! This is a girl that does not cook at all !!! But anyway, my DH and I finished last night at 11:30 !! We got about 27 qrts for myself and 14 for my DD1, so happy it's over !! So this morning, I'm relaxing !! Hope everyone has a really good wk and I'll catch up with you guys next Friday !! Sharon

Hi everyone~

Boy, it's great to be home! Nelson is back in summer camp this morning. It's the last week of camp, so had to get him there. I literally just sunk into DH's arms and cried when I got here. I had held all my emotions in all week. It's so tough watching your parents get old/failing health. I know many of you have been there, done that. I guess it never gets easy. In a weird sort of way, I am more worried about my mom, than my dad. She is taking this stuff so much. She appears really together and strong, but breaks down a little when she gets away from his room. He was transferred last night to Duke Medical Center. I hope it was a move up, though teaching hospitals can have some down sides too. I hope the meeting of the minds can figure out what is causing this. (before he needs dialysis and/or kidney transplant). I told my dad that I would give him a kidney if it came to that. He almost cried. The 3 of us will likely fly to Durham NC for the weekend.

Charlene~ Glad to hear your band is working better. Mine is working overtime. I can barely eat, but I am not complaining right now. I think with all the stress that if I were able to eat, I would be overeating.

Great~ Glad you had a good trip. Sounds gorgeous! Although I haven't really been a camper since my Peace Corps days. I did have to pee behind an airplane hanger yesterday when leaving NC, as we left before the airport opened and I had a 3.5 hr flight in a teenie tiny plane with no potty~! Does that count as roughing it???:thumbup::wub:

Janet~ I am so proud of all the exercising you have been doing! I hope you did some for me. I need to get back on track. You guys continue to be such an inspiration.

Meredith~ yo, what's up? Glad you took a break from the comp. I need one of those. Hope things are going down for you. That happens all the time for me. I will have a plateau for a couple weeks and then drop 5-6 like I did this past week.

Welcome to all the new faces and those who just had surgery. Thanks again for all the kind words and thoughts.

peas~~~

Good Morning Gang...

Eva - Exercise = Physical Activity - I was part of a lapband conference last year in Vegas hosted by Allergan - they stated we should replace the word diet with eating healthy and the word exercise with physical activity. The only reason I don't is that exercise is one word and physical activity is 2 words - and if you haven't' noticed I shorted almost every word I can.

As obese ppl we don't like to exercise or really do much as far as physical activity goes (hell just vacuuming the house caused me to break out in a sweat at 250) Any type of physical activity is too hard on us when we are carrying around 100+ lbs Exercise has the same bad connotation that diet does... Heck doc Oz states that you just need to walk what is it 30 min a day.. (maybe more I don't remember)

I personally go to the gym cuz it's 2 blocks from my house - and it what I need to get me to do it - I could buy a treadmill and do it at home - but would I - well the weights no cuz I don't have room for a weight and it's a proven fact that we need to do weight bearing exercise as it helps our bones & core strength which we need in our later years so that we don't fall ;0) - but again it doesn't have to be weight's per say but Soup cans anything can be improvised on

Heck some of us can't do physical stuff as we have bad knees - backs etc - this is where Water aerobics is great - you are moving and that's what counts - they even have exercise tapes/dvds for pple to do sitting in a chair with bands and hand weights.

I have never been one to increase my food intake due to my exercise - I bank my exercise calories - an this is what that article is talking about - pple who burn 500 cal then go eat 500 cal - well ya the exercise just got canceled out by the food that they ate. But exercise/Physical Activity is key in losing weight and becoming healthy.

This whole band thing and why we do it - is to get healthy and it's a lifestyle change - were as obese chick's we sat on the couch and ate way too much food and all the wrong kinds of food (more food - less physical activity = obesity)

Losing weight is math - less calories in that what we burn - so if you want to lose the weight you gotta eat less calories that what you burn up in a day...

So it doesn't matter if you go to the gym or an exercise class - all that truly matters is that you move and as the weight comes it - it gets easier and easier too move. 2 yrs ago I could not have been in my yard in 110 degree weather in full sun working all day - I would have died. Today I can do it..

I have a gardener and pool guy - ya I could do those things myself now a days - but I don't find it that enjoyable and I don't want to spend every weekend doing yard work - I rather shop or spend time with my friends - now if I didn't work I might do those things - but as it stands now - I have only 2 days off and most of the time that's not enough time to get all the things done that I want to get done.

So - you are right - you don't have to do a formal exercise program - all you have to do is some type of physical activity.

What is important is that you move

Doodles - if I worked in the heat all day I doubt I would go to the gym either - Sounds like you have a physical job - mine is sitting at a desk all day in the a/c - so I have the energy to do it (well maybe not the energy after a stressfully day at work) but I do find that I feel so much better after I have done it - endorphins are great things... I want some salsa !!!! I have never canned or jarred - I remember my Mom doing it once- don't remember what though.

Laura - Glad you are home - Hugs GF I feel your pain - I have been there... You are lucky to have your DH to lean on.

Great - Glad you didn't get eating - We (phyl & I) talked about your bear visit when where were in Canada.

Charlene - Cake is ok especially at your GD 1st bday :0)- it's not off limits - we just can't do it daily that's all - and heck I am going on 3 yrs and I still can eat too fast..

Well gang don't mean to leave anyone out - but I gotta get towork...

CBL Hugs

Hi everybody, just got caught up on all the posts... Laura, I'm so glad you are home and feeling the security your husband and home bring to you... It's important right now so you can stay strong for your parents.. Yes, it's very hard to watch your parents start to fail... My 76 year old mother has been going downhill since a mild stroke in 6-07... however she doesn't recognize the changes in herself.. I'm the only daughter and it falls on me to keep track of her... I get very tired some days..... Keep the faith and hopefully your dad will be on the mend soon and you can relax again... Bless you for offering up your kidney to him.. must have made him very proud.....

Doodles, you're a busy gal with all that canning... I don't do it anymore.... used to all the time, but it was such a chore and I never enjoyed it... So, I just quit... but the salsa sounds good.....

Charlene, glad you and DH are doing well.... and you should eat cake at your granddaughter's birthday.... Sorry it didn't sit just right....

We enjoyed our weekend for the most part.. The party for our soldier friend, Abby, was great.. She was so surprised to see us and just screamed when she saw "Bubba" (my DH)......... Those girls just thought of him like a second dad.... Her father was there that night and he came up to DH and thanked him for taking care of his girl in Iraq.... DH got all choked up and it meant a lot to him.... Anyway the party was nice..... However, the night in a motel was not the greatest.. I hurt so much so at 12:30 I took pain meds and then laid awake for hours trying to relax.... We got up and on the road by 9:00 so I slept in the car some and all afternoon when we got home... I am some better today and have decided to just try to work through the pain and see if it gets better... Laying around doesn't seem to help much.. I was to a funeral with my mother this morning and now need to tackle some laundry and plan some supper.. It should finally be hot today and the next few so maybe that will perk me up a little, too....

I, too, don't get much exercise... I was doing pretty well until all my medical set-backs... So, yes, the more activity I get the better, but I've heard that intentional exercise is what is the best for us... something that gets the heartrate elevated for a little.. That's my goal, to get a little intentional exercise at least 3 or 4 times a week... Just can't do it yet!!!! So, I'm settling for just not sitting as much each day...

Hey, Great, glad the bears left you alone again this time... I always envy people who like to camp and be outdoors so much.. Just never could get into it...

Meredith, hope you get all your stuff done... My mother is a champion procrastinator.... If it can be put off to the last minute, she'll do it!!!! Has always driven me crazy as I'm the opposite... Very organized, make lists, and that sort of thing.... But it just takes all kinds to make this world go... I'm sure you'll do just fine...

Well, better change out of these good clothes and get something done.. You all have a great day....Julie

What a cute picture...

Laura - Hugs hope you feel better if not call your doc please

Good afternoon. Busy busy day for me today but got a lot accomplished.

For those that think I am outdoorsy, HA HA!!! Not at all, I am just trying as I know DH loves it. I'd much rather be in a fancy hotel, room service, etc. But I do love the outdoors just not crazy about tents and outhouses! But to have my whole family together this past weekend was priceless and the absences of the comforts of home was worth it.

Peas, sorry to hear your Dad isn't better. Hopefully he'll get the care he needs at Duke.

My busy wkend started Friday when I got off work,about 3 wks ago, I ordered 60 pds of tomatoes, WHAT WAS I THINKING !!!! I make my own salsa and my DD1 wants to learn how to preserve veggies. So Friday night, I put up 7 qrts. of salsa. DD1 and DGD came home with us to eat lunch and can her salsa. We put her 14 qrts. up, or I should say my DH and I canned her salsa, but she tried !! This is a girl that does not cook at all !!! But anyway, my DH and I finished last night at 11:30 !! We got about 27 qrts for myself and 14 for my DD1, so happy it's over !! So this morning, I'm relaxing !! Hope everyone has a really good wk and I'll catch up with you guys next Friday !! Sharon

Sharon,

Wow! That's a LOT of work! Sense of accomplishment when it's all done, though! I used to help my Mom do that every summer! And DH & I did it one summer... planted FOUR Tomato plants in our yard in OK and we had tomatoes coming out our ears! We canned a lot of them and also made salsa. We were both working, and we had so many tomatoes that about every other day we had to either make salsa or do some stewed tomatoes! But I have warm memories of that!

Hi everyone~

Boy, it's great to be home! Nelson is back in summer camp this morning. It's the last week of camp, so had to get him there. I literally just sunk into DH's arms and cried when I got here. I had held all my emotions in all week. It's so tough watching your parents get old/failing health. I know many of you have been there, done that. I guess it never gets easy. In a weird sort of way, I am more worried about my mom, than my dad. She is taking this stuff so much. She appears really together and strong, but breaks down a little when she gets away from his room. He was transferred last night to Duke Medical Center. I hope it was a move up, though teaching hospitals can have some down sides too. I hope the meeting of the minds can figure out what is causing this. (before he needs dialysis and/or kidney transplant). I told my dad that I would give him a kidney if it came to that. He almost cried. The 3 of us will likely fly to Durham NC for the weekend.

Glad you are home and hope things start looking up with your Dad soon!

I just had to share this photo of Grandpa and Nels. It's fuzzy and taken with my phone.. but priceless.

PRECIOUS!

Hey Gang

Whats up tonite - back from the gym - did lunges so I am going to be sore on Wed.....

Did I tell you all about french press coffee - it's great !!!!

Quite day - has Joann left for Korea??

Apples - You must be having fun with your Aussies :0)

Well, just checking in - CBL

Hey All,

I am stuck in a funk. I have not been able to get my butt in gear to exercise in a couple weeks. I just don't feel like. What do I do. I need a kick in the butt my friends.

Off the subject my son started his first day of high school today. I was okay but sad he is growing up so fast he will be driving in the next two years and High School is like the big leagues. So today he was getting on the bus and the two kids getting on in front of him jumped a kid on the bus.:unsure: It turns out they were involved in gang activity and it was a rival gang fight. OMG the police came and they blocked my neighborhood and everything. My son and the other kids were fine, those kids did not have weapons. I was so shocked this happen it is so scary to raise kids this day and age you have to worry about eveyone. I guess it shows you never know who leaves by you.

Hey All,

I am stuck in a funk. I have not been able to get my butt in gear to exercise in a couple weeks. I just don't feel like. What do I do. I need a kick in the butt my friends.

Off the subject my son started his first day of high school today. I was okay but sad he is growing up so fast he will be driving in the next two years and High School is like the big leagues. So today he was getting on the bus and the two kids getting on in front of him jumped a kid on the bus.:unsure: It turns out they were involved in gang activity and it was a rival gang fight. OMG the police came and they blocked my neighborhood and everything. My son and the other kids were fine, those kids did not have weapons. I was so shocked this happen it is so scary to raise kids this day and age you have to worry about eveyone. I guess it shows you never know who leaves by you.

1 day - Hugs on the school/gang problems - I wouldn't think you had that problem in GA - but I guess it's everywhere now.

Yep they grow up fast - before you know it they are grown..

---------------------------------------------------------------

Exercise - don't think of it in those terms - think physical activity - just move - don't think about it just put your tennis shoes on and go for a walk.. or turn on the radio or put in your fav cd and dance around the house.

I don't really thnk too hard about it - ya I try and talk myself out of it alot of the time - but when I walk thru the door - I just go put on my work out clothes and go - plus - how can i preach it to you all and not do it myself.. That's one thing I am not is a hypocrite - That's how I do it (just do it) and for me I know it's key - years ago i took dance 3 hrs 2x a week - I lost 20 lbs without even trying - just by doing the dance class - i didn't change my eating at all....

So tomorrow just put on the tennis shoes and tell yourself you are going to go exploring...

Good evening everyone.

It's late, again. I have gotten some work done, but not enough. I have still been living on "my salad" and crushed lentil Soup, along with some other basics like my boost for Breakfast. I went to hungrygirl.com and got a recipe for crab cakes so I think I am going to make those sometime this weekend.

Janet~ Boy oh boy, do I admire your determination and your exercise regimen. I too am having a tough time getting it in. I'm always so busy during the day time and then finally when I'm done with all of my "stuff" it is LATE! I know that this is not a very good excuse, but I am tired! Hopefully when classes are over for the summer I can get my butt in gear.

Laura~ So glad you and Nels are home. I love that picture. I know how you feel about just getting home and collapsing. My dad has been sick for most of my life, so I really understand how you feel. It is so hard to watch someone that you love so much go through all of these hard times with their health. I only hope that he can get better and recover. You are so sweet to offer your kidney. I would do the same for my dad. The bond between a father and daughter is just unexplainable. I will continue to pray for him and for your mother, as well as you and the rest of your family. Hang in there and keep us updated. Oh, and thank goodness I dropped those pounds! I was starting to get ticked! Being in bandster hell is not fun! Cannot wait until my fill!

Julie~ Sorry to hear that you had troubles sleeping. That stinks. There is nothing that I want to do more when I don't feel well.

1 Day~ GF, I am stuck in that same funk! I cannot stand it and I am frustrated. We just need to force ourselves. I am still kicking myself for letting his happen to me (getting fat). I have totally ruined my body. In fact, I am going to the Dermatologist so he can help me with all of these stretch marks and my new scars. My skin is so fair that I just have to do this. We will get there, it's just getting there is tough.

Phyl~ Hey girl. Hope you are doing well! Anything new and exciting?

Great~ Glad to see you home from bear country! I like camping, but would much rather like to be in a hotel also. That is unless I am at my cottage up north. To me there is nothing like being up north in Michigan. I just love it! Bears and all!

Doodle~ Geez! That is a ton of canning! I am not good in that department at all. I tried it once in high school with my ex-boyfriends mother. Not my forte, but totally wish it was! My grandma always makes strawberry jam and it is soooo good! Perhaps I will have to learn from her, but I don't think that she likes to do it much anymore. I'll find someone around here to teach me, and if not, there is always YouTube! Thats where I learned how to knit!

Charlene~ Glad your band is working a lot better for you now! That is great news! As for the cake, you are right, that is a good thing. I told myself that I wouldn't have cake until my birthday on the 29th of this month. However, last night at dinner I did have one bite of Tiramisu. Thank goodness it was only one!

Well, I have to get back to work. Deadlines! I have to get up early for work at the barn also. Supposed to be HOT! I feel so bad for the horses when it is so hot, so we give them a rinse off with the hose, and it is so fun! At least that is something for both the horses and myself to look forward to after a long day. Will check in tomorrow. Goodnight everyone!

~Meredith

P.S. I've attached (i hope) a photo of my sister showing her patient and her mother how to begin giving the horse a bath. Isn't she a little peanut? Also, a pic of my sis and the horse after the bath.