Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Laura, packing and unpacking is exercise! Sounds like a plan for your guests.

Julie, you seem to be feeling better. Good.

Great, I had no idea about your DH. Glad he's alright. Hope he doesn't have to testify.

I need another fill. First one didn't do squat. I called Doc's office and they weren't going to schedule me till end of Sept. at first till I spoke up for myself. It doesn't have to be my Dr. It wasn't the last time. I just asked if they were going to leave me hanging by my fingernails again and they moved it up 4 weeks. Amazing. Now just pray my insurance company will get the referral for the fill approved and done right away. I was so surprised to have no restriction after the first fill last Tuesday. I tried eating just meat to see how much I could eat. I stopped at half a pound of hamburger. I should definitely have felt restriction but I could have kept on eating. So I'm doing my modified Atkins to keep losing but I'm getting no help from my band.

It's only by the grace of God and the support of my fellow bandsters that I'm doing so well.

I go to my regular Dr. Weds. Going in for bloodwork tomorrow. Hoping for a good report on my cholesterol, blood pressure and sugar. I'm off 3 medicines. Woo hoo. I'd like to drop another one. Two more #'s to half-way. (35 lbs) and 5 more to onederland.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

Hey girls.

Nothing new to report today really. Same old.

Doodle~ Thank you so much! Keep praying gf! A paper due tomorrow and a final on Wednesday and then I'm done for two weeks! Cannot wait for graduation in December. It is sure hard to go to school full-time and work full-time!

Laura~ That menu sounds good for an afternoon! Enjoy your visit. Hope your dad is doing better every day.

Janet~ I think that you started the car curse this week! I hope to God that I don't encounter any problems with mine. I have the worst luck with cars.

Apples~ Glad you had a great time. Sorry that your band is so tight. That stinks because you don't need to lose now, you need to gain!

Charlene~ I just thought it was so cool that my buddy has already walked 1800+ miles. I really want to do it one day, but I doubt that I will find 5-6 months of my time to do it in. I asked him if he would ever do it again if I wanted to do it one day? He said "probably not".

If~ Hopefully your next fill will help. I go and get my first fill on Monday. Kinda nervous, but I need this bad boy filled so bad! I can fit way more than I should be able to right now, and I'm stuck at -38. I'm happy with that for now until I get filled. Looks like you are well on your way! Congrats!

Julie~ Hope you are getting better and better every day. Sounds like you are doing great! WTG!

Great~ Geez louise! Your poor DH! Did I miss this when it happened? Hopefully everything will go smoothly for him. Glad the dietitian could give you some additional support as to what you have been doing so well all along. That cushion will probably feel good. I'm so happy for you!

Kath~ Glad you're back. Hope everything continues to go well for you also. You and doodle have been through so much with your DD. Hang in there.

Ok all, time to finish this paper! Late enough?! Looks like another late night. For some reason I do my best work in the wee hours of the morning. Weird I know!

TTYL, good night~ Meredith

You know when you are gone for a few days, it's difficult to read and catch up on everything.

We got back from Arkansas late last night and I had to work today. I did not do great with food while I was gone, it's hard when I'm traveling. I'm also able to eat more now so things are slipping down very easily. My DH's family doesn't eat healthy either and that doesn't help. I did have the opportunity to cook for them Saturday night and fixed a relatively healthy meal. We had chicken fajitas with salsa fresca, guacamole, corn and black bean salad and minimal amounts of fat. I made everything from scratch. The guac was the highest fat item I made.

I'm back on track today, but I still can eat too much. I get my first fill on Saturday, so I'm really hoping it will help. I got this band to help the Portion Control and I full expect it to do what it said it would.

Meredith, good luck with your test.

I can't remember much else so I'll have to catch up with everyone tomorrow. Have a great night.

Eva

Eva~ Thank you so very much. Totally stressed right now and just finished a paper. I cannot believe that I'm still awake! Anyhow, we are in the same boat. I get my fill on Monday and I am really hoping that it will go well. I am also finding that food slips down much too easily and then I am hungry a short amount of time later. I have been eating about 4-5 ounces of chicken or fish and then salad. Lots and lots of salad. I figure that that is the least harmful thing that I could be eating. I also have been making sure that the dressings are low in calories and fat. I love the Balsamic Breeze Wishbone spritzer. Anyhow, i cannot wait until I can feel that restriction! I'm feeling not very good about my not losing weight in almost a week, so I think that tomorrow I am going to do all liquids and perhaps some cottage cheese. I'm really going to take the time to measure things and use my newly discovered will power to only eat small amounts and stay under 800 calories.

Ok, way past my bedtime!

Meredith

Morning......... Yeah, girls, I hear you about the restriction issue... It's been almost a year since I was banded, but I had that unfill in April... I was just starting to get some restriction then and poof it was gone.. Then all the recovery time and having to get healthy... They finally started to refill my band and poof, another surgery.... So, now it's about time to think about another fill and I'm a bit scared to do it... But I sure have no restriction and can eat.... Most days I do okay just limiting my intake, but some days are not so good..... Like yesterday..... Had to bake Cookies for DH and his lunches for work... Well, I chose the wrong kind because I love them and have now eaten way more than my share should have been.. Put them in the freezer and am hoping that out of sight will mean out of mind!!!!! I should schedule a fill, but I'm nervous.... mylast incision is right over my port area and I've had a couple bad experiences with fills that hurt....when she couldn't really feel and had to dig around... I guess I need to be brave and get it over with.... I'm feeling good for the most part and think I can finally start my walking tape again so getting back on the food "band"wagon would be great about now.... I need to see a weight loss again and know I'm not stuck here forever...

Meredith, congrats on finishing your paper... It's been a long time since college for me, but I hated doing that... Does this mean your life gets easier now??? Do you get a break between summer school and fall semester??

Apples, glad you had such a great time with your friends... and I'm sure it was so hard to see them go... But I'll bet harvest is looming on the horizon and things will start popping there pretty fast.. Just getting started around here.. We had 90's last week and now it was 65 yesterday... Had to wear long pants and a jacket to go to town.... Today should be 80 they say, but it got down to 45 last night... Too cold for August..

Laura, your menu sounds just fine to me.. Hope all goes well..... How is your dad today??

Eva, I hear you about the food... We have been to a number of functions lately where the food has been less than good for me... The last one (50th birthday party) left a lot to be desired... Mac and cheese!!! NOt my choice of something to serve at a party.... Now this Saturday we have another party, but it's potluck.... I can take something that is right for me... And of course some of those darn cookies I made so I get them out of my house....

Oh, baby is up so I gotta go, but Janet, I hope you are settling into your new office space.. Change can be so hard sometimes... Especially when it seems to take us backward instead of forward... You'll be back in your element soon.... glad you are back in "band" frame of mind again.. I know how hard that is... I'm trying to get back to mine.....

Talk to you all later maybe after I get DH and baby off... My side is still hurting this morning so I must have done too much lifting the little one yesterday.. Need to be careful today... The Water mess in the basement got a bunch of clothes I had waiting for a rummage sale... Now have to wash them all... I'm about half done... Hope to finish that today... Take care all... Julie

Mornin' Girls

Meredith....just want to take the time to tell you how much I admire you for working full time and plugging away at school full time also. What a load! I almost killed myself working full time and doing a full load of school between the age of 17-20. I guess I didn't notice so much then but when I think about it now, don't know how I did it.

All of you not feeling restriction...get in there and get your fills but don't over do them. It should be a step by step process. Watch what your band is telling you. I know with me, the fills took about a month to kick in. I expected instant gratification. (I think that instant gratification factor is what got most of us to that obesity stage).

I know that with me it took breaking the habit of grabbing and eating. I MADE myself get into the habit of planning my eating for the day and MAKING myself stick to it. Even when I was on the road (which I am a few days a week). If I worry about not having things available that are band friendly, I make sure I have pre-planned things with me. I am at the stage where I have no embarassment about pulling out MY food and just do a little explaining that certain foods don't work for me. We have social situations at least twice a week. Most times there are foods that I can eat and if not I either wait to eat or pull out my own. My band, my choice of what I feed it. The social situations do get easier. I know that I felt moments of panic and didn't even want to go. Now I welcome any situation.

Julie....I love harvest season. We do not have wheat so we do not start till about the middle of Oct and go through the end of Nov. Sometimes a little earlier. Crops look good right now. Got a nice amount of rain over the weekend and think that it saved our A$$.

Sorry about your cookie issues. Have you ever thought of making DH suffer? Just buy the little pre-packaged sweet treats for his lunch. (Little Debbies, etc.) Or, get him to switch over to throwing an apple, pear, grapes into his lunch box. That way it's not there for you to be tempted. I am not a sweet eater but LOVE chips, etc. During my first few months of weight loss, I could in no way have them in my house. I would fill that void with low fat popcorn. A great sweet snack is sugar free Jello with a tablespoon of fat free cool whip. Give it a try when you have those urges.

Better dig into to it all. Behind because of the Aussies but was worth it. Memories that will last a life time. Have mega-bookkeeping to get done today, laundry, guys to feed, flowers to tend to and a co-op picnic tonight.

You all have a great day!!!!!

Hey girl, you have done great. I am 60 (a young 60) and my ht and starting weight is the same as yours, i feel i have done well so far, i am down to 212 and dropped a little in sizes, please tell me your story and journey, i want to know all you did, all you ate .. I have a bad hip and it is hard to exercise. Please let me know how you did it. My goal is to be down at least 30 more pounds and 2 sizes smaller by xmas. Any help you can give would help. I will be glad to give you my personal email if we need to. Also, please tell me how to post before and after pics and how to start a thread.

Thanks, t-rose (dee)

Good Morning Gang...

Welcome Dee - My secret - following the rules - eat low fat mostly sf and limited starches - Protein 1st then veggies then starches - Eat slowly - chew and no drinking with meals

During my weight loss phase I kept my calories between 800 - 1200 and varied them daily - and I exercised 4-5 days a week by walking on the treadmill.

Food - Dannon lite & fit yogurt - weight control oatmeal - egg beaters - tons of fish and I still eat tons of fish. I still eat alot of fish - but I also have chicken, pork and beef.

I made a lot of what I call one pot wonders - protein of choice - veggies - Tomato sauce - seasoning (go back to page 1 and read forward to find the recipes.. and I took these to work for lunch for the week - eating 1 cup.

Snacks - sf pudding - fudgesicle - 100 cal snack pac popcorn -

I really just followed all that I had learned in my previous attempts to lose weight - You know in WW they say this isn't a diet - it's a lifestyle change - well I finally understood what they were saying - our normal eating is what got us fat in the 1st place - it's not about dieting its about eating healthy and exercising - I am not on a diet and never have been through this whole process - I am just eating healthy - I have treats now and again - I live life - but I just do my very best not to over indulge.

I feel 10 yrs younger and have tons of energy.. Don't know why I wasted so many years being obese and trying to tell myself I was ok with it...

Sharon - It sound like your DD is in a rehab - I have had same problem with DS - He's ok at the moment - and I pray for his continued success in beating his addiction - he's gained like 80 lbs - but I rather have him fat than on drugs - if I have to pick between 2 evils - I would choose food any day.. Drugs are the reason I got my GS back when he was 11 and have had him ever since..

If – I am glad you stuck up for yourself and demanded an earlier appointment – our bands are only tools and the tool isn’t going to work unless it’s maintained …

Eva – I have a hard time with food when away too – especially fast foods – I was never a big ff eater to begin with. The last car trip to see DS I did take my own popcorn to much on in the car

Great – Yep those little tweaks make all the diff in losing just 5 lbs over a period of time.

Courts – there will be delays after delays – Hopefully the guy pleads out and your dh doesn’t have to testify…

Laura – Glad your Dad is doing better – Your menu sounds fine.. Especially the tequila :)) – I have only had bander company – so it was easy to cook and when DS & Family is here – I just cook what they eat and meat and veggies are always band food..

Julie – So glad to here you are feeling more like yourself – On the fill issues tell your doc to numb you up before they start sticking you – that’s what my doc does..

Charlene – How are you doing

Meredith – you are doing great and yes salad is a good filler..

OneDay – Thanks Girl

Apples – I know how hard it is to catch up – TTYL.

Well gang I got to get to work – I will cbl Hugs !!!

Good morning,

Well today is another one of those days. Just got home from work, leave in a bit to get my gray covered in my hair and then have to take that bad tire in to get fixed at costco, will shop some there. I hope to be home in time to take a short nap. I get up at 4am and try and take naps 2 days a week on Tues and Thurs sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Tomorrow is hospital volunteer day. Thurs is get Grandma's RXs, stop by her place and lunch with a friend. Friday is camping again! Lookout for bears.

I just made a knee dr appt for my knee to get it looked at. It's bothering me more and more and I am starting to think about getting it replaced. The knee cap or something is starting to cave in too. Also this new health insurance the gov't is trying to push through is scaring me and I'd like to get it done by who I want and when I want so am thinking of sooner rather than waiting. The soonest appt was Sept 2nd so I have time to compile all my questions. Phyl, any pertinent ones I should ask?? Your surgery is soon isn't it?

Bubba, do you have to make Cookies? Can't he take store bought ones or some fruit or something instead? Explain how difficult it is for you to do that and I'd think he'd understand. Of course, our guys love our baked goods but DH has learned to go without pretty easily. Plus he really didn't need to be eating them either.

Janet, how's that new 'cube' doing? Sorry you had to go through that, I know it's gotta be tough.

Any idea what happened to boos and bochs??

I just made a knee dr appt for my knee to get it looked at. It's bothering me more and more and I am starting to think about getting it replaced. The knee cap or something is starting to cave in too. Also this new health insurance the gov't is trying to push through is scaring me and I'd like to get it done by who I want and when I want so am thinking of sooner rather than waiting. The soonest appt was Sept 2nd so I have time to compile all my questions. Phyl, any pertinent ones I should ask?? Your surgery is soon isn't it?

Hi, Great.... My surgery is one week from today, 8/25. We went to a joint replacement class a couple of weeks ago so I wrote down a bunch of questions at that time. So when I had my pre-op appt last week I was prepared with a list! Things I wanted to know were: type of anesthesia used (there is a trend towards epidural/spinal blocks with light anesthesia and I like that), type of hardware used (titanium, ceramic, ??), post-op pain control, home or rehab for PT after discharge, etc.

Hi, Great.... My surgery is one week from today, 8/25. We went to a joint replacement class a couple of weeks ago so I wrote down a bunch of questions at that time. So when I had my pre-op appt last week I was prepared with a list! Things I wanted to know were: type of anesthesia used (there is a trend towards epidural/spinal blocks with light anesthesia and I like that), type of hardware used (titanium, ceramic, ??), post-op pain control, home or rehab for PT after discharge, etc.

So nice to have an "in-house" nurse, Phyll. If I do not catch you b/4 your surgery, wishing you good luck with it and a speedy recovery. I realize that it is tough work after the surgery but just think how good you are going to feel not to be restricted by that knee any longer.

We have a friend that is due in Dec for his second hip to be replaced. He's 50. He stated that the pain after surgery was well worth it to be able to not have the constant pain he felt b/4.

Anyway, Phyll, peace and love and all that stuff and will be thinking of you as you prepare for this surgery. XOXOXO:wub:

Yes, my DH would do without and didn't ask for the Cookies in the first place.. I like making things he likes, just shouldn't have made the kind I did because I like them too much.. Usually I bake things he likes that aren't my favorites... He is one of those who can eat like there's no tormorrow and still lose a pound... He is 5'11" tall and weighs only 158 pounds... He's healthy and active and needs to eat as he works so hard and is always on the move.. He usually puts on a few pounds over the winter and then takes it all off come spring... He does love fruit and meat and eats lots of both, but likes some sweets, especially for his lunches.. and I do buy the boughten, ready made things often... He likes Honey Buns and such.. If I am in a mood where I start looking for something to eat I'll eat them, too.... I figure I'm the one who needs to control things, not him.. I don't bake just for him often,, but I do love to cook and bake and entertain.. Don't know how to stop that without stopping being myself... I don't want that... I did make an appointment for a fill for Monday.. As I said, I'm aprehensive about it.... I've had so much go wrong medically over the last few months that anything makes me nervous.... But, I'm going to bite the bullet and go in... They only do fills on Mon and Tues... So that's the soonest I can do.... Okay, enough about cookies and such... I'm just about done with my laundry and will take all these "fat" clothes to our local Family Resource Center.. I called and she said they really need the large sizes so want all that I have to offer... I'm so glad to not need them myself anymore and really wish no one did, but am glad to be rid of them anyway..

TTYL................ Julie

Oh Julie...hope you don't think we were judging you on the cookie thing. I know Long would not be judgmental either. I think we have all been there with the "favorite" foods in the house. Heck, Janet proved that the other night with her icecream!

Maybe this next fill is what you need. I know the temptations are not as strong when a person is hanging around that sweet spot. I, too, am a person that loves to bake and cook. It is difficult to cut something out that a person loves to do. I find it very difficult to cut down on amounts I cook in the winter with just DH and I. I despise throwing food away...I just freeze in individual sizes for DS to take home to his freezer. Win/Win situation.

I have a solution with those Cookies in the freezer. Have DH go to freezer and lick each one!

Oh Julie...hope you don't think we were judging you on the cookie thing. I know Long would not be judgmental either. I think we have all been there with the "favorite" foods in the house. Heck, Janet proved that the other night with her icecream!

Maybe this next fill is what you need. I know the temptations are not as strong when a person is hanging around that sweet spot. I, too, am a person that loves to bake and cook. It is difficult to cut something out that a person loves to do. I find it very difficult to cut down on amounts I cook in the winter with just DH and I. I despise throwing food away...I just freeze in individual sizes for DS to take home to his freezer. Win/Win situation.

I have a solution with those Cookies in the freezer. Have DH go to freezer and lick each one!

LOL. Love your solution. Probably wouldn't work with me since my DH and I swap spit anyway. Maybe you could give all the Cookies to your DH right away and tell him to hide them or share them at work or something. I had to ask my husband not to eat treats in front of me all night long. He's a sweetie so he hid all his treats from me, actually washed all his ice cream down the sink, and leaves the room once in a while. I don't ask him where he's going. He's actually lost weight, which he needed to do.

Laura, how's dad?

Apples, what did you mean when you said it took a month for the fill to kick in? Do you mean you couldn't tell you'd had one and felt no restriction for a month? Don't know if I could deal with that.

Meredith, I might have to go back to school at the age of 57 in order to keep my job or get one should my school fold or the vendor taking over next year only wants to hire their own people. I love philosophy, but I don't ever want to have to write another paper on it. I never want to have to write a paper period. I'm a creative writer, a write-out-loud stream-of-consciousness writer (as those of you who've read my blog can tell.) I hate the kind of writing college classes require. Mine would be post-grad but you still have to do the formulaic crap with bibliographies and footnotes. Blech. Do it while you're young.

By the way Great, don't believe the propaganda that you won't be able to pick or stay with your own Dr. if the new health plan passes. The new plan is based on being able to keep your present plan and Dr. unless you want a better plan because your employer's plan is so bad or non-existant.

Definitely no judging here, was just trying to offer solutions to the cookie munchies. I'm not one that loves to cook so that's easy for me to say too. But do like to bake Cookies. My solution would be to bake raisins in cookies then I won't touch 'em! :sad: