Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hey guys~ Just a quick note. Thank you thank you thank you to you all for your thoughts and prayers! You have no idea how much it means. I was able to read the posts with my phone that gets internet while at the hospital. I tried to post once and then hit some button and it erased, so I decided to wait until tonight to post.

My Dad is hanging in there. So far they are still holding off on the dialysis. The kidney doc seems to think he will get past this and won't need it... but he won't know until the morning labs come in. Dialysis comes with its own set of risks. They are giving him steroids for a possible allergic reaction that caused this? and to also help the kidney. The only problem it is sending his blood sugar out of the ballpark! He has never needed insulin and is on a sliding scale now. He is doing better though- he feels and looks better. I know it's probably the steroids. They always make you feel better at first.

These are long days at the hospital. The good thing is we aren't really eating that much except meals. So I haven't been overdoing it at all. I have been tight, so haven't even been able to eat much when we do eat. I make sure and get a Protein shake in between. I haven't even had time to step on the scale! This is the longest I haven't weighed myself!

I am having a terrible time of missing my DH. I think because this is such an emotional experience anyway, it makes me that much more sad when I talk to him. I have to fight back tears when we talk & try not to cry in front of Nelson. We were all together for 2 weeks straight and the separation is tough on us all. : (

I wish I had time to comment on the posts. It will have to wait. Please know that I am reading them and send my warm thoughts your way.

More later...

peasout~~~

Laura, glad your dad is doing okay. I am sure it means a lot to him that you are there. Some say stress makes their bands tight and I'd say you are under some stress.

I had a nice weekend, fairly uneventful and sometimes that is good! Back to work tomorrow and then am meeting my daughter at the mall. FUN FUN!!

Laura-so glad things are looking up. Hope they continue to improve.

Julie, glad it went well. Major surgery takes a long time to recover.

Good to hear from you.

Cheri

Drive by post...

Laura...hang in there...thinking of you.

Just got home and taking off at 6am. Airport is about 5 hours away. Excited to see my Aussie girl again. It's been 10 yrs. Think I have everything ready in the house. I am waaaaaay too picky. Gotta change that. Busy but fun weekend and now a whirlwind of activities for two weeks. Not sure how much computer time I will have. Just want to tell you all to have a good couple of weeks. I am sure some of mine will be spent at Mall of America, the lake, taking my girl around to see friends from high school, etc.

Hope everyone stays healthy. Talk soon!

Laura, glad to hear your Dad is doing better. Don't worry about your band. Just take care of yourself. Long days in hospitals are hard on the caregiver. You are in my prayers

Well, another baby shower down and one more to go. Yes, I had a piece of cake.......Tres Leche.......and it goes down so easy with all that milk in it. I didn't eat anything else. By the time I brought all my stuff like crystal in the house my band was so tight I couldn't eat. So, I drank some hot tea and then I was able to eat some chicken. It seems like every time I lift anything heavy my band tightens. At least I have figured it out. I was worried I was too tight.

Okay, fellow banders, I hope y'all have a great week.

Good Morning Gang

Saturday went to gym did 3.5 miles burned 500 calories then came home started to clean up a spill in the garage then decided to wash down the front of the house - we that ended up in to rakeing and clean the decorative rock that around the plants (I have grass too) well raked and washed the gravel cuz more dirt was showing than gravel. Well that ended up being an all day project didn't come in the house til 5:30 - pooped.

Was going to go to the store yesterday to do my weekly shopping but was too tired.. I took a little nap then still went to bed at 9 last nite... The back of my legs and back are sore... I guess I forget I'm 54 - It felt good to be outside but I'm paying for it today and I have gym tonite..

I'm up early this morning guess I got all my sleep and I have my mamo today - ugh - it's not that it hurts but that they always seem to find something.. Last 2 yrs have to go back and get biospys... They all end up being nothing.. But still it's nerve racking..

Laura - glad to hear your Dad is holding is own.. Continued prayers..

Doodle - Hugs - those bad habits will be with us always - they don't leave - remember we are addicts.... One day at a time and today is a new day - you can't take it back but now just have to be mindful and don't order stuff like that or keep that brownie in the house...

Yesterday since I was worn out I wanted to eat - I ate veggies cuz I had already had a 100 cal english muffin and egg but still wanted to eat (being tired is always a big food trigger for me) If I had a brownie in the house - it would have been eaten - I know I am not strong enough - so I don't keep that stuff in the house...

Julie - Hugs yes we do try and eat our stress away - you need to slow down if you can - Your body is still healing - and like I said before we forget how old we are and we don't pop back like we use to..

Linda - Great advice - I too think that exercise is key in keeping food out of our mouths - I know how much energy it takes and calories burn by an hour of exercise and it's too much work to blow it by eating something stupid..

Meredith - how are you feeling - are you sure you don't have a bug - BC never make my stomach upset..

Long - yep uneventful weekend are a good thing Have fun at the mall

Apples Have fun w/your Aussies - and at the M of A - I loved the Nordstroms (they were having a great sale the weekend I was there) and Ann Taylor's loft - J Jill ..

Charlene - We had that cake at work a while back - it was ok but not my fav - to soggy ;0).. I find I am tighter after exercise...

Well gain - gotta jump in the shower - ttyl

Hugs..

Janet

Good Morning All !!! Had a much better day Sunday !! After Church, we went out to eat with my DS and new DIL, that by itself was a treat, ordered a 2 pc fish dinner / baked pot. / unsweet tea, ate half and took the rest home for supper. So yes, I hope I snuffed out those bad feelings, I don't know what was wrong but I hope I don't do that too often, I don't like those guilty feelings !!

Linda~~~ Thanks for the words of encouragement !! I will try that next time I start to feel that way again !!

If~~~~ Your not going to believe this but another bander and myself were talking about things that we lose and some things that we gain while we are on this journey. Hers was losing 2 chins, mine were gaining new confidence, and losing some things that I wasn't too happy about!! lol I will read your post when I get thru here , I try to read it as often as I can. Your good !!

Laura~~~ Glad to hear your Dad is doing better !!! Hang in there !! Is your sister there also ? I know how those long days in the hospital are ! My DH spent the first 10 yrs of our marriage in and out of the hospital !! So LOOOOng and boring!! I just hated it! Just know that we are all praying for your whole family !

Long and Apples ~~~ have fun with your DD's shopping !! I'm going shopping today also but I'm taking a 4 yr old, not sure how fun I'm going to have !! lol He has a Dr. app. to have a physical for school.

You guys have a good week and I'll catch up with everyone Friday night!!

Janet , didn't mean to ignore you, guess we were posting at the same time! My DGS and I went to see his Mom Sat. stopped at the store to get drinks and he wanted this brownie, and he doesn't even eat sweets, so I got it for him, thinking he would give it to his Mom. Well, it's always crazy there and we forgot to give it to her and it ended up at home with me !! So your right, NO MORE BROWNIES ALLOWED in my house !!! Thanks for your kind words, We are food addicts, aren't we !!! TTYL

Hi, I feel like I fell of the post wagon. I've been vacationing off and on for the past two weeks and boy am I tired.

I will need to catch up on everyone's posts and will do that tonight after work. Just wanted to say hi and note that I'm still around.

ee

Read two articles on the internet about ADHD and compulsive overeating yesterday on the internet. I knew i wasn't nuts. There is a big connection for about one/third of compulsive overeaters. We have difficulty with organizational skills which is why food plans and food journals and countaing carbs, calories, or points don't work for us. We have poor impulse control which is why we're on the see-food diet, we see food, we eat food. And we have poor self-awareness which leads to not knowing when we're hungry or when we're full. When we're busy with something that stimulates us we totally forget to eat which sets us up for ravenous hunger later, and because we don't sense fullness we eat till we're stuffed.

According to the authors of the study, ADHD people are the ones least likely to succeed on any form of food plan. OMW. Does that explain a lot. They suggest that we keep a variety of the food we should eat available at home and at work because we're the type to forget to pack a lunch. Evenings are our worst time because our projects are done. We need to find stimulating, adventurous things to do at night to keep us out of the food.

They don't even suggest trying to restrict the food because we're such failures at it, just stay on a maintenance diet of 1800-2500 calories/day. Well, I'm glad I've got the lapband so that I'll actually lose weight faster than a maintenance diet.(Though, frankly, I would lose weight on that because I ate more calories than that.) And so that on really ADHD days I've got a tool that will stop me from getting too badly into the food.

Well gals, it's me, formally Long2Bthin, they finally approved and changed my screenname. I put in for it the day I reached goal and jsut got notice today it changed. So now I am Great2Bthin.

I went shopping with my daughter today and first I got me a new 'goal outfit' at Ann Taylor Loft. I got pants, sweater and blouse so pretty!! And then we tried on mother of the bride dresses. Found one I really like at Dillards but just am not sure about buying one so early as the wedding isn't til next year. What if I lose more, what if I gain more, what if I find another I like, etc. etc. etc. And Dillards return policy is only 30 days. I can honestly finally say when I tried on that dress that I actually saw how much thinner I was. I jsut have a hard time seeing it most of the time, but haven't worn a dress in years so maybe it was because it was something different. My daughter said my butt looked great in the dress that dad would like it! LOL

Janet , I am worn out just reading all you did yesterday!

Apples, have fun with your Aussie friend!!

Arlene, never heard of the band tightening with lifting, I will have to pay attention to that.

Janet-OMW. You want to come and work at my house? LOL

IndioGirl:

I'm scheduled for surgery on 8/20. I'm 5'8" and right now at an all time high for me at 265. I've gained 14 pounds in the last 3 months due to stress at work.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Did you lose slow enough that your skin didn't sag or hang? I"m worried about extra skin...
  2. Did anyone have problems with throwing up?
  3. What Protein Bars have the most Protein and least amount of calories?

I am anxious and excited all at the same time. I want to get healthy and have energy. I'm in a new relationship which I think is going to turn into marriage. Starting "two" new lives..and life of being thin and healthy and being in love too!

Lisa in Memphis:tt1:

Hi everyone.

Laura~ Hope that your dad is doing better. Thinking about and praying for you and your family.

So, I don't really have anything new to report. Same old same old. I have been eating "normal" foods too. I had some chicken shish kebob and salad dressed with vinegar, oil, and lemon juice. Since I have practically zero restriction I eat about four cubes of chicken and then eat the salad until I feel almost full. I don't know exactly how many calories are in the salad, but could it be bad for me to do this? Not count or measure salad? I'm really terrified that I am going to stop losing by eating this stuff. EEK! I think its totally healthy, right? I just am nervous. I know some of you felt like this too. Perhaps I should just stop eating things that I don't know the exact caloric content until I get my fill? What do all of you think? Just curious.

Ok, well, time to relax. Check back tomorrow.

~Meredith

Hi everyone.

Laura~ Hope that your dad is doing better. Thinking about and praying for you and your family.

So, I don't really have anything new to report. Same old same old. I have been eating "normal" foods too. I had some chicken shish kebob and salad dressed with vinegar, oil, and lemon juice. Since I have practically zero restriction I eat about four cubes of chicken and then eat the salad until I feel almost full. I don't know exactly how many calories are in the salad, but could it be bad for me to do this? Not count or measure salad? I'm really terrified that I am going to stop losing by eating this stuff. EEK! I think its totally healthy, right? I just am nervous. I know some of you felt like this too. Perhaps I should just stop eating things that I don't know the exact caloric content until I get my fill? What do all of you think? Just curious.

Ok, well, time to relax. Check back tomorrow.

~Meredith

Meredith...there are just times when it is impossible to weigh and measure EVERYTHING. It is a good habit to be into. Teaches us a lot about portion size, etc. Helps us to eventually eyeball what we are eating. I now just automatically know portions sizes by looking or know my limits as to what to eat by how my tummy feels. I had some of the same feelings you are having when I didn't weigh and measure. It's a good habit but so is choosing everything that is healthy at this stage of the game and it will teach you to make more healthy choices throughout your life. It will all come together for you. I think that as long as you don't overdo the dressing put on the salad, Protein and lettuce/veggies are a very healthy choice. At first I did not like filling up my new pouch with lettuce as there is not a lot of nutritional value in it. But I always craved it so much so I would just throw a handful on my plate with my meat/fish/etc. During the weightloss stage, I used Walden Farms zero cal dressings. I really like the taste of them but have heard others stating that they did not. I still have them on hand for DH and he really likes them also. Worth a try! On those occasions when you cannot weigh and measure, try to eye things up. It's actually a good way to learn to guesstimate what you are eating. You will know when you get to the stage when you trust yourself with the amounts you are eating. My pouch has always been good to me. I have never pb's, don't really know what it is to slime, and it tells me when I am full. I get hungry every 2-3 hours but I don't mind that. But you will find out, as all of us banders did, that there are days that your band is lose and you could eat your lips and your fingertips off and there will be days that your band is tight and you WISH you could feel hungry. It's all a learning process and that's what us experienced banders are here for. I relied on everyone here for many months. It's important to plan any Snacks that you have and also important not to let yourself get too hungry and have the urge to binge. Make sense?????

Hey to the rest of the gang (man, that really sounds Gomer Pylish!). Had a VERY long day yesterday. Left home b/4 daylight and did not get my people home till after 10:30pm. Stayed up visiting until 1:30am. DH's butt will be dragging in the field today. Letting Aussies sleep in. They have been on an "around the world tour" for close to three months and are shot. We have made no plans and will leave it up to them what they want to do. I am sure DH will not take a break with the workaholism and I will be entertaining 24/7. Did insist guys come home for dinner (lunch) so at least DS has and hour today to get reaquainted with his big sis. It will all fall together and DH will just have to catch up with us when he feels he can pull himself away from the work.

Cannot remember who mentioned about lifting and band getting tight. Linda????? I have noticed this from the very beginning. That, flying and stress. Now, I KNOW I don't get stressed when I fly so I know my band just tightens on me and have to be very vigilant of my eating days b/4 I fly so I get enough cals and do not lose weight the days after flying. I try not to lift much anymore as to not tighten up my band. Fickle, fickle, fickle band! Just as I explained above to Meredith.

Laura......hope your dad is doing better. Anxious to hear. DH's mom has been on dialysis for over five years and functions quite well with it. Sad if your dad has to give up his pilots license but he will adjust if need be.

Great..........(seems weird writing that) Smart not to buy a MOB dress now. I predict that you will weigh less a year from now. The body goes through so many transformations after a person gets to goal. You will be happy you waited. A couple of months ahead of time should be sufficient time to find one. Keep looking and trying on different styles. By the time you need to make the purchase, you will know exactly what you want and what looks good on you. I love separates due to the fact that I am long legged and short waisted. They just look better on me.

Janet....sound like you had and "Apples" day on Sat. I tend to start a small project and it turns into an all day deal. Good example is the past week when I was getting ready for company. My house was basically already clean but when I started I didn't quit for three days and then started again on Sunday until I couldn't find anything else to do. I was cleaning, painting, hanging pictures, rehanging pictures, recleaning, etc. I swear I cause work for myself. And, as I mentioned the other day...I am way too picky about my house and am trying to make a stab at changing that. Would like to be a little more free and easy about that. Think it has to do with all the traffic we get through here and always having to have the house ready for extras just dropping in for a meal.

Julie....hope you are feeling better each day. You have been through the wringer and it will take some time. When we are so used to taking care of others, it is difficult to accept help.

Linda...I pray for your little grand daughter. I think of her often and think of what you are going through. Issues such as these are never easy and wear on a person. Take care.

Doodle...what a good granny to be the "mom" while your daughter is away. Damn all brownies. Funny you guys mentioned them cuz my Aussie daughter talked about my "special" brownies most of the five hour drive home from the airport. She was begging me to make some and I kept just putting her off and saying not sure. Well, when we walked in the door I presented her with a pan all for herself. We stuck them in the freezer and she says she will have only one a day. She is a police officer and needs to fit into her uniform when she gets home.

OK...know I left some of you out but not on purpose. Just a little brain dead this morning. 4 hours of sleep does not do it for me anymore and only 5 hours the night b/4. I am a believer in 8 good hours of sleep. Keeps life nice and mellow. Going to have to catch up this week.

You all take care and will check in when I can. Think we will hit a casino a few hours south of here this week and stay over one night then off to the lake for a couple of days and a weekend full of parties. (I love a good party but, no, do not always have a drink. Maybe have one drink once a week on the weekend.). I have to be quite careful. 1/2 ounce vodka, crystal light and Water and I am a PARTY ANIMAL. Can't handle much. Never had much tolerance for alcohol b/4 banding. 2 drinks and I would slur so for 30 yrs of marraige I have been the D.D. Don't mind a bit and parties are all about the cooking, visiting, games, etc. My friends love me cuz on girls night out, they have a built in ride home.

Gotta go plan dinner and supper. Need to make a blueberry dessert, making chicken strips on the grill, scalloped corn and homemade mac and cheese. Have no menu planned for supper yet.

You all have a great day! :smile2:

Edited by Apples2