Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

To all you lovely ladies on this thread - How do I begin to say thank you?? I have read all of your words of advice and wisdom and am writing them all down, literally. It is so easy to forget once you get into every day life after post band that you can slip right back into unhealthy eating habits! I am thinking of doing the pre op diet like you guys have suggested and I am also like you said DE JUNKING my house!! I guess my downfall came when I saw a friend of mine at work that had had the band Oct 07 and saw she basically was eating what she wanted and still lost weight so I figured I could as well.....what a misconception that was on my part!!! I cannot eat what I want and lose weight even with the band bc I am not made that way....maybe she is but I am not. I suppose I needed to hear it from you guys to reassure myself that this is definitely a change I am gonna have to make FOREVER...not just for a few days or months....but for the rest of my life. Who ever said that surgery is the easy way out really has no idea, do they???? This is still the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life...I have been through divorce, lost a parent, etc etc...and still this is at the top of the list of difficulty!! This is with me every single day...I cannot wish it away, cry it away or hope it away....its here and I have to accept that this is what I have to do to stay healthy PERIOD. I know it is better to come off slower than faster....so I have to take it one day at a time right??? Again, thank you each and every one for your words of encouragement and wisdom and I am definitely coming back every day I can to this thread to check in and get that encouragement I so desperately need! Thank you all....Have a blessed holiday!

Michelle

Thanks to all of you for the support and friendship you have given me. I just joined FB a couple of weeks ago so I am in the process of sending out my friend requests. I am going to get a friend to come over and help me take a new pic of me and post it so you an all see the face that goes with these posts lol. I was thinking I have not taken a new pic yet of me so I need to get on it.

Happy 4th Everyone!! Never forget our troops and their familes

Hi everyone! I too am very thankful for our troops who are keeping us safe and free every day. Moochie, you got some great advice from the girls and I'm so happy to hear your positive thoughts afterwards. You are doing great, the trick is to stop comparing yourself to other people. We are all different, lose weight differently, eat differently, etc. It sounds like you're ready to get back to the program and continue to make it work for you. Good luck and know that we are all here for you and will be supportive of you every day as often as you need. We had a lovely 4th, although it was cold and rainy here in Iowa. I think our high was 67 -- and it sprinkled as we sat outside watching the fireworks. Also watched the show from D.C. on tv - what a great show that was! It was just DH and me for dinner as I had to work until 4:00. We grilled chicken and DH had his potato salad and I ate my green Beans and watermelon. It was great. JoAnn, I'm like you, nothing seems to be too tempting to me anymore. At work sometimes there is food or sweets and I used to not be able to resist them, but lately, I don't even care. It's so weird -- maybe it does have something to do with getting closer to our sweet spots. Whatever it is, I'm grateful to have that extra bit of self control. Everybody have a wonderful Sunday. Linda

Linda - you have lost 77 pounds according to your ticker! I think that also has a lot to do with the difference in your "temptation level." You know this works and you know how to make it work. You know you can turn away from those foods, and that's just what you do!

My quilt guild had the summer "picnic" last week. It was a very interesting experience for me. The only Protein on the table was deviled eggs and some pieces of salami and cheese on toothpicks. There were a few salads, but mostly with lots of mayo. LOTS of Desserts. I had one deviled egg (2 halves), a little spinach salad with strawberries to which I added very small amount of balsamic viniagret (wow-sp!), 3 crackers and 2 of the toothpicks, each with 1 cheese cube & 1 chunk of salami. I was SHOCKED at how much food was on the plates of everyone else! and the fact that everyone went back for a second, equally loaded, plate of food, and then a plate filled with a sample of each dessert! I had dessert - tiny sliver of pound cake - sweetened fruit was on the table for the pound cake. I just did the cake because I knew that would satisfy me. I left cake on my plate. Point of all this - I would have eaten the two overflowing plates of food and a plate of Desserts before banding. In fact, I'm sure I did just that last year at the same function. The feeling of control was SOOOO wonderful. Esp since the control did not feel like control. I ate exactly what I wanted. The old saying - "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" is only part of the equation. Nothing feels as good as being in control of your appetite and your consumption of food - and your LIFE! It does not matter one whit what other people say about "the easy way out" - or other criticisms of your decision to be banded. It is your life and you deserve to be in control.

I love my band...

Edited by JoannMarie

Moochie - GOOD FOR YOU! I love your spunk, girl - and your attitude! You will do this your own way - just as everybody has to. We are all proud of you and cheering for you. Come back every day - we just love a winner (loser!)!

This looks like a great site. One of the best on lapbandtalk. I'm Cheri, and I had my band on June 18. I'm going to have to learn how to do all the fancy graphics you guys have. I'm a teacher and you know we're the last to learn technology--we're too busy teaching the basics, like reading, writing, and arithmetic. So far I've lost at least 20 pounds. Now that the swellings down I'm currently not feeling much restriction but I'm following the post-op diet closely cause I don't want to gain the weight back before my first fill. I happen to really like meat and Atkins shakes so I'm keeping my Protein high and my carbs low. I get my milk by making iced decaff lattes with Splenda during the day. They really see me through between meals and help me get my 64 oz of Fluid. I also started a blog as soon as I found out I'd been approved for surgery and the date had been set. It's really been helping me cope with the food addiction aspects. If you'd like to read it you can find it at IF YOUR STOMACH OFFENDS YOU, TIE IT OFF

One idea from my blog I'd like to share was commented on by one of your leaders. I've copied it here.

In an earlier blog I said that we ought to hold marathons and walkathons and start wearing purple ribbons to build awareness of this life-threatening disease and to offer support for those who suffer from it as well as dollars for research to help prevent and control it. It worked for breast cancer. I would bet more people die from this disease. In fact, obesity is a risk factor for breast cancer (and heart disease, strokes, colon cancer, diabetes and more). Breast cancer used to be an unmentionable disease. Now we all proudly wear pink ribbons. Let's get obesity and all food addicitons out of the closet and into the light of day so that no one ever has to feel guilty about seeking a medical solution for this medical condition anymore than they would getting treatment for breast cancer.

Why purple? Because those of us with this disease are all wounded hearts, because that color hasn't been used yet, and because we, too, are God's children. That makes us royalty.

1 Day - I'm so glad to hear you are so upbeat these days. You have had your share of down days and it's so good to see things going right for you. I've been enjoying your notes on Facebook. I can't wait to see the new picture. Keep looking up!

Cheri - I've been enjoying your posts on another thread and also your blog. I highly recommend to those on this thread that you check out Cheri's blog. She is a very smart lady and has an uplifting message. We are all about uplifting here because we deserve it! I am so glad you are joining this thread, as we all try to learn from each other and support each other. You are proof it does not take a lot of lapband experience to teach and support another person. Most of this work is in our brains and hearts, not our stomachs, and you have the ability to reach brains and hearts. Thank you.

Edited by JoannMarie

Ok, so it has been 9 days since my surgery and I am really feeling pretty good now. I go to my Dr. tomorrow for my post-op check up. I cannot wait to get these ratty looking pieces of tapes off! I was told DO NOT rip them off a million times. They really do look gross by now. Especially since I always wear black, and the little black fibers are sticking to the sticky!

Here is what I need everyones opinion about today:

I am following my pre-op diet, but only sticking to 800 calories or less. I've been STRICT. I mean following this to a "T" and measuring everything. Well, today I really really slept in, so I was super hungry when I woke up. I am usually measuring 4 oz of my Boost which equals 120 calories per time that I eat. However today, I drank the whole 8 oz., which fit with out any pain. Do you think this is okay for me to do as long as I stick to my under 800 calories plan?:(

It is days like this when I am most thankful for all of you and your expertise! Thank you sooo much!

JoAnn~ Way to go on your selections at the picnic! You must be so happy and proud! I now totally understand what you mean about watching everyone else eat a ton of food and thinking "wow"! I was like that yesterday as I watched my family eat. It's kinda gross, even though I know thats how I used to eat!

ifyourstomachoffendsyou~ I was banded June 26th, so this will be an adventure for us to go through together! Great!

Laura~ I hope you are having a wonderful time with your niece and sister! It sounds like you are already having a good time! Enjoy.

Have a wonderful Sunday evening everyone. I will CBL this evening to see whats going on.

Love all of you!!!!!

~Meredith

1 Day - I'm so glad to hear you are so upbeat these days. You have had your share of down days and it's so good to see things going right for you. I've been enjoying your notes on Facebook. I can't wait to see the new picture. Keep looking up!

Joann

I am feeling really good these days of course I am struggling with my sweet tooth but I am trying to take everyone advice and incorporate more fruit.< /p>

Question for anyone on the board this evening I go to the Dr tomorrow and he is going to ask me how I am doing which is really well but when it comes to food on some days I can each a whole chicken breasts and others not so much. This is how my Dr likes to measure my food intake. I am not much of a food journal person so I am not sure if I should get a tiny fill or leave it alone what do you all think? I usually have a 8-16oz cup of coffee in the morning with half and half and splenda then about an hour later I have some type of Protein or oatmeal then for lunch I have Soup or tuna, chicken or egg salad or sometimes I split lunch with my mother (we work together for the same company different departments). dinner is usually a little of whatever it is I cooked it is funny I used to eat from a salad plate but alot of the time I eat from a small cup because the salad plate looked to big to me. So I am not sure if I should get a feel or not.

1Day - here are a couple of the criteria my doc uses:

Are you eating more than 1 1/2 cups of food per meal?

Are you hungry between meals?

Have you stopped losing weight?

If you can answer yes to those questions they would consider you might need a fill, and probably would have a few more questions for you.

It sounds to me like you are not eating more than 1 1/2 c per meal. It sounds like you are just eating 3 meals, so no Snacks? Not hungry between meals? Are you losing weight? If you are scheduled to see your doctor I would go ahead and see him/her - and ask him/her if you need a fill. I am scheduled in late August - I'll keep the appointment, but I don't know if I will have a fill. I'm still within the first year, tho, and they like to check me every 2-3 months at this point. Consider getting a small notebook and a calorie book that also counts Protein, carbs, fats, etc. I just write in the food & approx amount, calories and Protein. It only takes a few minutes, and I know on those days I don't lose I am still on track. I know lots of ppl like the tracking websites, but I'm trying NOT to be on the computer 24/7, so the notebook works best for me.

Meredith, I would not worry about the 8 oz of Boost as that is still just one cup. It's a liquid, and as a liquid, it's not going to be held in the pouch, but will go on through to your tummy so it's not going to stretch the pouch. I also don't think the rules about liquids after a meal actually take effect until after you are on soft foods and mushies. Sip, sip, sip on that Water all day. Keep to the guideline you have been given about 800 calories a day. You will be fine. (In fact, you ARE fine, girlfriend!)

Edited by JoannMarie

1Day - here are a couple of the criteria my doc uses:

Are you eating more than 1 1/2 cups of food per meal?

Are you hungry between meals?

Have you stopped losing weight?

If you can answer yes to those questions they would consider you might need a fill, and probably would have a few more questions for you.

It sounds to me like you are not eating more than 1 1/2 c per meal. It sounds like you are just eating 3 meals, so no Snacks? Not hungry between meals? Are you losing weight? If you are scheduled to see your doctor I would go ahead and see him/her - and ask him/her if you need a fill. I am scheduled in late August - I'll keep the appointment, but I don't know if I will have a fill. I'm still within the first year, tho, and they like to check me every 2-3 months at this point. Consider getting a small notebook and a calorie book that also counts Protein, carbs, fats, etc. I just write in the food & approx amount, calories and Protein. It only takes a few minutes, and I know on those days I don't lose I am still on track. I know lots of ppl like the tracking websites, but I'm trying NOT to be on the computer 24/7, so the notebook works best for me.

Yeah i don't want to me on my computer 24/7 either so I think I will try to notebook thing as well. Isn't 1 1/2 cups a food at a meal alot? do you eat Snacks too or just your main meals? I was just wondering I know each Dr is different but I am just curious.

Joann,

I first read quilt guild as guilt guild and I wondered why in the world you would want to belong to that. I guess I really have guilt on my mind as some of my posts on other threads and in my blog show. Some of the OA and other weight loss meetings I've attended really would qualify as guilt guilds. I remember from other 12-step recovery groups the saying, Don't should on me." and "Don't should on yourself." And I would add, "Don't should on others." Maybe I'll do tonight's blog on that. Thanks for the recommendation to my blog. You can click on this link to read it. Posts go back, I think, to June 9.

IF YOUR STOMACH OFFENDS YOU, TIE IT OFF

Linda - you have lost 77 pounds according to your ticker! I think that also has a lot to do with the difference in your "temptation level." You know this works and you know how to make it work. You know you can turn away from those foods, and that's just what you do!

My quilt guild had the summer "picnic" last week. It was a very interesting experience for me. The only Protein on the table was deviled eggs and some pieces of salami and cheese on toothpicks. There were a few salads, but mostly with lots of mayo. LOTS of Desserts. I had one deviled egg (2 halves), a little spinach salad with strawberries to which I added very small amount of balsamic viniagret (wow-sp!), 3 crackers and 2 of the toothpicks, each with 1 cheese cube & 1 chunk of salami. I was SHOCKED at how much food was on the plates of everyone else! and the fact that everyone went back for a second, equally loaded, plate of food, and then a plate filled with a sample of each dessert! I had dessert - tiny sliver of pound cake - sweetened fruit was on the table for the pound cake. I just did the cake because I knew that would satisfy me. I left cake on my plate. Point of all this - I would have eaten the two overflowing plates of food and a plate of desserts before banding. In fact, I'm sure I did just that last year at the same function. The feeling of control was SOOOO wonderful. Esp since the control did not feel like control. I ate exactly what I wanted. The old saying - "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" is only part of the equation. Nothing feels as good as being in control of your appetite and your consumption of food - and your LIFE! It does not matter one whit what other people say about "the easy way out" - or other criticisms of your decision to be banded. It is your life and you deserve to be in control.

I love my band...

JoannMarie, I'm sure you're right. I also think that journaling my food and keeping track of calories in vs. calories burned by exercise helps me to stay on track as well. I work too hard exercising to blow it all by eating the wrong foods! I've noticed the same thing at my bunco nights -- I used to pile on the food and eat my way through the whole evening. Now I pick very carefully and eat only certain foods (I make sure I take some things that I can eat so that I don't feel deprived), but I do notice how much others are eating. I love my band too! :(:thumbup:

Ok, so it has been 9 days since my surgery and I am really feeling pretty good now. I go to my Dr. tomorrow for my post-op check up. I cannot wait to get these ratty looking pieces of tapes off! I was told DO NOT rip them off a million times. They really do look gross by now. Especially since I always wear black, and the little black fibers are sticking to the sticky!

Here is what I need everyones opinion about today:

I am following my pre-op diet, but only sticking to 800 calories or less. I've been STRICT. I mean following this to a "T" and measuring everything. Well, today I really really slept in, so I was super hungry when I woke up. I am usually measuring 4 oz of my Boost which equals 120 calories per time that I eat. However today, I drank the whole 8 oz., which fit with out any pain. Do you think this is okay for me to do as long as I stick to my under 800 calories plan?:(

It is days like this when I am most thankful for all of you and your expertise! Thank you sooo much!

JoAnn~ Way to go on your selections at the picnic! You must be so happy and proud! I now totally understand what you mean about watching everyone else eat a ton of food and thinking "wow"! I was like that yesterday as I watched my family eat. It's kinda gross, even though I know thats how I used to eat!

ifyourstomachoffendsyou~ I was banded June 26th, so this will be an adventure for us to go through together! Great!

Laura~ I hope you are having a wonderful time with your niece and sister! It sounds like you are already having a good time! Enjoy.

Have a wonderful Sunday evening everyone. I will CBL this evening to see whats going on.

Love all of you!!!!!

~Meredith

Hi Meredith, You are doing so great! Congratulations on your success so far. My only question is, did your doctor limit your calories to 800 per day? In reading your post, I'm not sure if your posting to question the calories or the amount of liquid. JoAnnMarie is right -- the liquid amount is not too much, like she said, the rules about liquids don't apply until after the liquid stage is over. I know you're still swollen, but if you are hungy and still only eating 800 calories, it should be fine to increase your calories. Have you checked what your calorie budget should be on one of the many helpful programs on the web? Daily plate will figure it for you - you put in your age, height, weight and how much per week you want to lose (2 lbs.) and it will give you your calorie budget for the week. I've had good success with varying my calories -- some days 800, some days 1100, some days 1200, etc. I know Janet recommends doing that as well. Not sure if you are asking about calories or amounts. I'm only 5'1" and I remember my calorie budget when I first started was around 1300 or so and I lost 2 lbs. per week on using the calorie budget as figured by thedailyplate.com

Joann,

I first read quilt guild as guilt guild and I wondered why in the world you would want to belong to that. I guess I really have guilt on my mind as some of my posts on other threads and in my blog show. Some of the OA and other weight loss meetings I've attended really would qualify as guilt guilds. I remember from other 12-step recovery groups the saying, Don't should on me." and "Don't should on yourself." And I would add, "Don't should on others." Maybe I'll do tonight's blog on that. Thanks for the recommendation to my blog. You can click on this link to read it. Posts go back, I think, to June 9.

IF YOUR STOMACH OFFENDS YOU, TIE IT OFF

I went back to the beginning of your blog and read it in its entirety. You are fabulous! Your blog seems to speak directly to me (and I'm sure thousands more) and I thank you for sharing your feelings, your thoughts and your beliefs. It is truly empowering and so very helpful. I will be a faithful reader. I wish you all the very best of luck in your lapband journey. :):(