Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hello to everyone, happy Easter and welcome to all the newbies! I am just back from my trip to Vegas to visit DS and family and had a very nice time. DS and DIL house is lovely, up in the hills of Henderson and brand new. My step daughter and her hubby joined us for 2 days. We had never met our SIL before (they were in Spain for 4 years when he was in the Navy). Their work schedules have prevented them from visiting us since they've been back. I had to pay to use the gym at the Rio and so I made sure I used it each and every day that I was paying for! I also jumped in the pool and did my Water aerobics every day as well. Most of the time we met everyone for a big dinner every night (usually a buffet), but I just ate the Protein -- crab legs, salmon, sliced turkey, etc. The other foods don't even tempt me anymore -- except for the Desserts. I managed to limit these temptations to mostly a "bite" here and a "bite" there and did have some low fat frozen ice cream a couple of times. Won't know for sure until I weigh in on Tuesday, but hopefully I didn't gain any weight. I walked more than normal, so that probably helped also. Long, your pic is beautiful -- you look gorgeous, bet you found some great clothes on your shopping trip. Julie, so glad you are doing better, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and hope you can go home soon. As someone else said, your health is what matters, there will be lots of other Easters and holidays with your family. Just take are of yourself and get well. Don't forget that positive thoughts are important when you are ill, although it can be hard to be positive when you are so sick. Apples, you are so wonderful -- and thoughtful -- what a beautiful, generous soul you are. Cheryl, Phyl gave you great advice -- I usually eat about what Phyl does -- usually a small egg beater omelet -- I use Morning Star Sausage Crumbles (only about 1/4 of the serving size) and a slice of 2% Borden American cheese. For lunch usually a piece of fish or homemade salmon patty or a small grilled chicken breast with soured green Beans (or small salad) and the same for dinner. I love fruit and have a small bowl of mixed fruit (fresh strawberries, melon, mandarin oranges, etc.) once a day. I also eat a non-fat yogurt and a low fat,, sugar free pudding as a snack at night because I don't drink milk which helps me get some Calcium in. That's usually between 800 to 1100 calories a day depending on what protein I've had. I track all my foods on thedailyplate.com which I know Janet recommends -- it's a good way to be accountable for the foods we put in our mouths. Someone asked how we figure out how many calories a day to eat -- I use thedailyplate.com for that as well - you put in your current weight, height and how much you want to lose per week and they will give you the number of calories you should eat for that formula. It's easy and it's been very accurate for me as I've averaged 2 lbs. per week since my surgery. I also exercise 3 to 5 days per week. Oh, I almost forgot -- I was worried that no one would notice my weight loss -- I hadn't told my DS or DIL that I had the surgery or that I was losing weight -- when they got to the airport, they couldn't believe the difference -- my DS showed me a pic he had of me when I was in Hawaii just a week before my surgery and then took a new pic of me and showed me the difference just to prove it to me. I did look so much better! LOL. Just one of those moments we all need. It gave me a boost for sure. Linda

Long........I did see your pics.......your looking good, girl! How was everyone's Easter? I ate way too much..........no Easter candy, but lots of bad carbs like corn. Anyway, it's back to journaling tomorrow.

I am so glad I finally came back to this site for help. I have stayed away for awhile because I was so mad at myself and afraid to face up. You have all given me such good advice and I am getting my book back out. My book doesn't have alot of information that I think would help me. Keep sending me helpful hints as you think of them. I will be checking on here everyday for information. Hope you all have a wonderful week.

Cheryl

Please send me help too! I have been stuck at 45 lbs. for 6-8 months and not feeling motivated! I need a quick something to jumpstart this again. I know my band is tight enough because I get things stuck. I had a fill on 2/9/09 and since then so much gets stuck, even my meds! Anything will help! Please reply!

Thank you so much Phyl for replying to my post. It is people like you who take the time to give ideas that makes this support site work. I will listen to your advice and see where that gets me. I also have some friends I work with that insist on me going to lunch with them everyday. I try to come up with excuses and then I give in. They eat Mexican, Chinese Italian etc. Not only is it destroying my diet it also is hurting my pocketbook. I also have been ordering iced tea with lemon and take very few sips but I am drinking before and after meals. Is that all y ou eat for lunch is salads? Do you ever drink your Protein drinks anymore and how much Protein are we suppose to be getting at this point. What kind of exercising are you doing? Thanks,

Cheryl

The gals gave you some great ideas for eating out. You can usually find something on the menu. Lately, at Mexican restaurants... I look for something ala carte... yesterday... beef tostada... small, protein, lettuce, tomatoes... it was a good choice. Or I will look for a small taco, and not eat the tortilla... I like Carne Asada tacos. A couple of places I go to has them for $2-3. And at that price, you get plenty of meat, a little chopped onion and cilantro.. plop some salsa on there and you're good to go! Love it! Soups are another good idea, or chili.

Protein drinks... rarely use them anymore.

My exercise all winter has been Water aerobics, and I'll be able to do that as we travel north because we're stopping at friends for several days... they have a pool. Then I'll be making the switch to Wii Fit exercises, and probably looking for something else, too, when I get home at the end of the month.

I agree with Cheryl, Phyl. What you said in your email to Cheryl was just what I needed to hear, too. I had gotten very lax. One thing I had forgotten was so important was to drink my 64 ounces of liquid a day. I drink the Crystal Lite instead of Water. My having lost 40 pounds gave me the "big head." Now i'm humbled again. Thanks for being here. Betty

I use Crystal Lite, too, or a store brand of the same... Wal-Mart, Target, Albertson's... they all have their own brand of the same thing in lots of flavors. Once a day, I have Benefiber in it, to fill my Fiber needs. Can't taste it at all.

Please send me help too! I have been stuck at 45 lbs. for 6-8 months and not feeling motivated! I need a quick something to jumpstart this again. I know my band is tight enough because I get things stuck. I had a fill on 2/9/09 and since then so much gets stuck, even my meds! Anything will help! Please reply!

For a quick "jump start", I'd suggest you try the "Five Day Pouch Test". Google it... it's back to basics. Start out with liquids and gradually progress back to solid, but mostly protein. Are you able to get all your protein in or are you too tight?? It is possible you are not losing because you're not getting enoug calories... Are you journalling?? You have to be able to get your hard protein in. Give us an idea of what you are eating in a typical day. And are you exercising??

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group but I have been banded since July 08. I am teetering on 50lbs loss and feel anxious about it. Meaning I have eaten crap these last couple days because I am scared. Did or does anyone have this problem? Is there a weight goal you were scared to be at? Does anyone of you journal your food? Any suggestions on an easy way to do it or at least a format I can follow?

Yes, I have had that problem for the past several days. I was banded Sept. 30, 2008. That sick thinking overtook me -- I have lost 40 pounds and have 30 (not 20 like I said earlier -- my bad) to go -- so I figured I could do it "my way." Well, my ego got in the way and I gained back 3 pounds. By turning to this group, my head is on straight again, thank goodness. Someone suggested reading your literature again from the doctor -- that's a good idea. It will give you a sense of order and suggestions. I keep a count of my Protein grams and calories every day. All of my food is either fat-free or very low-fat, so I don't have to count fat grams any more. It's so simple when I read suggestions -- drink 64 oz of liquid a day -- one-half hour before meals and one hour after meals -- eat Protein first -- no bread, rice of Pasta for me, which I don't miss -- no carbonated beverages (I haven't had one since my surgery). My problem has been lately I've been eating sugar-free and non-fat or low-fat foods, but in quantities that are ridiculous. I just ate them until I had that stuffed feeling -- the feeling that settles any uncomfortable emotions I might be having. I've had to regroup and limit stress as much as I can. Well, anyway, this was supposed to be a "quick" reply. Sorry. Keep coming here and reading. There are some great mentors I'm finding out. So I need to try to give back as much as I'm getting from all of you.

Betty

187/147/117

9/30/08

Dr. Woodman, Memphis, TN

The gals gave you some great ideas for eating out. You can usually find something on the menu. Lately, at Mexican restaurants... I look for something ala carte... yesterday... beef tostada... small, Protein, lettuce, tomatoes... it was a good choice. Or I will look for a small taco, and not eat the tortilla... I like Carne Asada tacos. A couple of places I go to has them for $2-3. And at that price, you get plenty of meat, a little chopped onion and cilantro.. plop some salsa on there and you're good to go! Love it! Soups are another good idea, or chili.

Protein drinks... rarely use them anymore.

My exercise all winter has been Water aerobics, and I'll be able to do that as we travel north because we're stopping at friends for several days... they have a pool. Then I'll be making the switch to Wii Fit exercises, and probably looking for something else, too, when I get home at the end of the month.

I use Crystal Lite, too, or a store brand of the same... Wal-Mart, Target, Albertson's... they all have their own brand of the same thing in lots of flavors. Once a day, I have Benefiber in it, to fill my Fiber needs. Can't taste it at all.

For a quick "jump start", I'd suggest you try the "Five Day Pouch Test". Google it... it's back to basics. Start out with liquids and gradually progress back to solid, but mostly Protein. Are you able to get all your protein in or are you too tight?? It is possible you are not losing because you're not getting enoug calories... Are you journalling?? You have to be able to get your hard protein in. Give us an idea of what you are eating in a typical day. And are you exercising??

I've never heard of the five day pouch test. I will Google it. Thank you. Also, I've been forgetting to take my Benefiber. That's because some of the sugar-free stuff I have eaten gave me the runs, but I'm off of that stuff now.

I don't know how to change my name from Spayneuter, but please call me Betty. Thanks. I wish we all lived near each other so we could get together. I live in Germantown, TN. Where do you live?

I've never heard of the five day pouch test. I will Google it. Thank you. Also, I've been forgetting to take my Benefiber. That's because some of the sugar-free stuff I have eaten gave me the runs, but I'm off of that stuff now.

I don't know how to change my name from Spayneuter, but please call me Betty. Thanks. I wish we all lived near each other so we could get together. I live in Germantown, TN. Where do you live?

What is country style sausage (for the 5 day ouch test Soup recipe)?

Hello everyone! I hope all had a wonderful Easter. Since I am a few weeks away from surgery, I considered this to be my "last meal". Did anyone else look at food like this before their banding? Since I looked at it this way, should I question my choice? I don't think so, since I have battled this food addiction for so long. I was happy when it was over because now there aren't any "eating" holidays for awhile now, thank goodness! I go to the doctor tomorrow to get my letter to submit to my insurance company. I am excited for that, and thankful to have completed yet another task in preparation for my banding. I have my psych appointment next week as well.

I just cannot tell all of you how helpful you have been, and how thankful I am for all of your postings. It means a great deal to see that people care about and support one another so much. This would be hard to do if I had to do this without this thread and all of you. No one really understands unless they have been through all of this.

For the last few nights, I have found myself dreaming about my banding. I wake up very excited and am finding it so difficult to wait! That is how I know I am ready.

The food journaling is such a great way of keeping track of what you put into your mouth. A few years ago, I lost forty pounds on the MMR Liquid Protein diet which included one real meal a day. I journaled every day for a month and lost weight. As soon as I stopped, the weight crept back on. At first, it really helped me to weigh EVERYTHING so I knew exact amounts. I found that if I didn't weigh what I was eating, I would underestimate calories.

What do all of you think about whole wheat tortillas or wraps? Do you have problems with those?

Thanks again everyone!

Meredith

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend. My sister came to town visited my family and me. We did a lot of shopping and spending time together. We also walked 4.5 miles everyday. I was pretty proud of myself for keeping up with her and not tiring first:tongue2:

Hello everyone! I hope all had a wonderful Easter. Since I am a few weeks away from surgery, I considered this to be my "last meal". Did anyone else look at food like this before their banding? Since I looked at it this way, should I question my choice? I don't think so, since I have battled this food addiction for so long. I was happy when it was over because now there aren't any "eating" holidays for awhile now, thank goodness! I go to the doctor tomorrow to get my letter to submit to my insurance company. I am excited for that, and thankful to have completed yet another task in preparation for my banding. I have my psych appointment next week as well.

I just cannot tell all of you how helpful you have been, and how thankful I am for all of your postings. It means a great deal to see that people care about and support one another so much. This would be hard to do if I had to do this without this thread and all of you. No one really understands unless they have been through all of this.

For the last few nights, I have found myself dreaming about my banding. I wake up very excited and am finding it so difficult to wait! That is how I know I am ready.

The food journaling is such a great way of keeping track of what you put into your mouth. A few years ago, I lost forty pounds on the MMR liquid Protein diet which included one real meal a day. I journaled every day for a month and lost weight. As soon as I stopped, the weight crept back on. At first, it really helped me to weigh EVERYTHING so I knew exact amounts. I found that if I didn't weigh what I was eating, I would underestimate calories.

What do all of you think about whole wheat tortillas or wraps? Do you have problems with those?

Thanks again everyone!

Meredith

Meredith...you sound sooooooooooo phyched for this surgery. We've all been there and dreamed of what life would be like after banding. You sound like you have your head wrapped around what to expect.

CONTINUE to weigh and journal your food. It is very important to have a handle on what you are putting into your mouth and what your portion sizes are. I am ten month out and still weigh my Proteins and keep a running total in my head of the grams of Protein I am getting per day. I have had LOTS of energy every day and I attribute it to getting all my nutrients.

I think we all went through the "Last Supper Syndrome". Just be sure to follow your pre-op diet given to you by your doc. Prepares your liver for sugery and also prepares your mind for the liquid diet after.

As far as the wraps go...I am not able to tolerate them. Too Gummy. I do not eat ANY white carb except for a little potato once in awhile and did not eat any of them until after I reached goal. I am sure there are some bandsters that can tolerate them but not on my menu. Any breads bother me except hard crunchy garlic toast, Wasa crackers or rusks. When I was in the weight lose phase, I just stayed away from white carbs.

Good luck to you and keep us informed. I think I can speak for all of us that we want to her from you at every stage of your journey. This IS a great place for support and you should never feel intimidated by ANY question you need to ask. Take care of yourself. "God helps those who help themselves"!:smile:

hi everyone, I'm still here, but I'm starting to lose my grip a little.....Today is my day to have a CT to check on things... Haven't had any food or drink for 2 weeks and then they bring me 2 big glasses of gunk to get down......not going down very easy...... My spirits are just deflating...... I asked to be weighed today..... Last time I weighed at home I was 300.4................after I was here a couple days it was 312.........wow....that;s a lot of fluid....... Today was 298.6..........Guess I should be happy.......I am.....just........................???????

Thanks everyone for the good wishes and cards and prayers... It means a lot....Talk to you again later when I know how this test comes out.....Take care...Julie

Hi Phyl,

I had a 20 gram Protein Bar this morning. Wondering what I am having for lunch. Just curiosity what happened to Mrs. Bubba? Is she alright?

Please send me more hints. Are there certain fruits you stay away from everyday? Do you ever drink milk?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Cheryl

Hi, I had my surgery 3/12, my starting wt was 207. In the first two weeks I lost 12 lbs, since then I have lost NOTHING. I have cut my calories from about 2500 a day to 750 a day- i walk 40 mins (2 miles) 3 or 4 times a week. I dont understand. I have had no problems eating, nothing uncomfortable, I had my surgery on a thrus and went back to work tues.

Anyone else having problems like this? I sent my doc an email with what was going on and he said i was coming along fine...how can that be??? all these other people are doing so well. He said maybe i need a fill- if i eat any less i think i could pass out.

The other thing is i am so incrediably tired. On the weekend i sleep all the time (ex- bed at 11, wake at 1pm, nap 3 hrs during day and sleep by 11.30). I have a hard time staying awake at work.

can anyone give me advise, opinion, am i being a drama queen???

Hi Phyl, I had a 20 gram Protein bar this morning. Wondering what I am having for lunch. Just curiosity what happened to Mrs. Bubba? Is she alright?

Please send me more hints. Are there certain fruits you stay away from everyday? Do you ever drink milk?

Hope everyone is having a great day! Cheryl

Hi, Cheryl,

Mrs. Bubba had some complications following her surgery. I believe she said they nicked her liver. Typically, the liver, in those of us who are obese, is quite enlarged. That's one of the reasons they want us to kind of "crash diet" prior to surgery. Apparently, there is a dramatic difference in the size of the liver if we lose weight prior to surgery. My doc wanted me to lose 10% and/or get my BMI under 60... you see, I am 5 ft tall and I was well over 300#. I didn't quite lose the 10%, but I did get my BMI below 60, barely, prior to surgery.

The liver is a challenge for the surgeon when they do this surgery because they have to actually move it, from what I understand. If you have the "stomach" for it (sorry for the pun), watch a video of the surgery online and you will begin to understand. Nicking the liver is a very rare thing, but after watching the surgery, I can understand how that could happen.

12_4_44.gif 12_4_39.gif 12_4_41.gif

Fruits: I have to admit, I very rarely eat fruit. When we are here in the RV park, grapefruit abounds all winter. Lots of people have trees on their lots and we're always being offered grapefruit and lemons. Last year I did eat the grapefruit once in a while. But this season, I'm much "tighter" and I just don't include fruit because I don't know when I'd have it.. I'm pretty stuck in my habits of what I eat.

12_4_20.gif

Milk: We never have milk in our fridge or else I'd probably have Cereal for Breakfast sometimes. See... sharing this stuff has me thinking.... maybe I"m too rigid in what I eat! Maybe I need to mix it up a bit!! :blush::smile::tongue: Not to say I never have milk. I'll tell you how I get my milk... a couple of times a week I have a 16 oz sugar free, fat free latte at my favorite Starbucks (at home I have another favorite place). I think that's 140 calories for the fat free milk.

Hope this helps! Have a GREAT day.