Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hi Guys- I am looking for some support. I was banded on March 10 after having my surgery moved from Dec due to my Dr. health etc. So I had a big reunion for my improv group from college that was very importnat to me. I bout a ticket in November thinking I would have lost some weight and I just e-mailed them and told them I can't come I feel so ashamed. But other than the firsdt 10 pounds I have lost 0. My first fill is on Monday. I now feel like this is a big joke and I am never going to get on top of things. I am so ashamed that I am letting my selfconsciencsness (my spelling sucks) stop me. But I am 100pds heavier since they last saw me. On top of it all , oneof my friends who will be there is a super big celebrity and I was so pysched to see him and get him to come visit my students- I have kept my surgery a secret form all but family and close friends - I am alone in a condo in Utah while my family skiis- I am supposed to get out there with them, but putting on gear only makes me feel fatter- boy I am really feeling sorry for myself- I am embarrased that I am so weak-

Martyh, don't feel discouraged. I lost the majority of my weight on pre-op diet (16 lbs). 2nd week post-op, even though I was still on liquid diet, I only lost 1 pound. In the third week, I even gained 3 lbs. Then I lost all 3 lbs in the fourth week. You were in a time period called "banister hell" . Don't feel bad that you didn't lose any weight before your first fill. A lot of people even gained 1 or 2 pounds during that period and it is okay. Are you feeling any restriction after the first fill? I had my fill yesterday and I definitely felt some restriction. If you do, I am sure the band will help you starting to lose weight again. Do you exercise? Try exercising at least 3 times per week.

Edited by EmmaWang

Thanks for the support. I have not had my first fill yet. Happens this Monday, the day after Easter. I do exercise and am proud of myself for getting back on skiis for teh first time in 6 years. It is the SHAME that I feel that is so profound...and the fear that this is not going to work. I read how successful you all are and that helps but it is the fat girl voice in my head that is taking over right now.

I will wipe my tears and stop cying but i needed to go somewhere with this pain and dissapointment. Thanks for listening.

Marthh, I completely feel your pain. I don't like friends that I haven't seen a long time coming over to visit coz I would see how shocked they are to see my current size. I also avoid going to my school reunion coz I felt bad about my appearance. But things will get better. We will achieve our goal weight gradually if we don't give up. We will enjoy all sorts of parties and meeting with old friends once again. Since you haven't even had your first fill yet, don't worry about the weight loss right now. Do something nice for yourself on this Easter weekend and hopefully enjoying the holiday as much as possible.

Edited by EmmaWang

Thanks for the support. I have not had my first fill yet. Happens this Monday, the day after Easter. I do exercise and am proud of myself for getting back on skiis for teh first time in 6 years. It is the SHAME that I feel that is so profound...and the fear that this is not going to work. I read how successful you all are and that helps but it is the fat girl voice in my head that is taking over right now.

I will wipe my tears and stop cying but i needed to go somewhere with this pain and dissapointment. Thanks for listening.

Martyh, I feel you pain. I only wish I had had the surgery at your age before I started having so many health issues. You will start losing steady as you get fills. I usually go 3 to 4 weeks without losing then I drop 3-5lbs. We are all different when it comes to loss. I like the saying"Slow and steady wins the race". That's why my ticker is a turtle in the weeds. You will lose......just keep journaling your food and exercising. Tell that "fat girl voice" to SHUT UP!

Martyh don't be so hard on yoursels. Remember how long it took us to gain the weight. Probably years and years. I know is frustrating but the band is not like gastric bybass its alot slower. I am losing alot slower than alot of people but I am losing. I have been banded for 4 months now and am only down 23 lbs. There are days I am down about how slow its going but I get on this forum and everyone is so supportive and amazing. Lets all stick together get this done.

Long, Thank you for sharing your first two fills with me. I am glad I am not the only one who got aggressive first fill. LOL. But occasionally I got this "congested" feeling in the chest" and sometimes my lower abdomen had this feeling of bloating & pain (bearable). Well It felt like when I was having my period and it is definitely not the time of the month for me yet. I don’t know if this symbols that my fill might be too tight?

I hope you have a great Saturday going into the mountain and shopping at the outlet.

Not sure about a congested feeling or bloated feeling. I have never felt that. Might want to call and ask at your docs office. Too tight for me means reflux at night and getting stuck more often on food. Hope you get settled in with the fill soon. I think aggressive fills have helped me lose so much so quickly but you need to stay on top of them and proceed with caution and stay in contact with your docs office.

Hi Guys- I am looking for some support. I was banded on March 10 after having my surgery moved from Dec due to my Dr. health etc. So I had a big reunion for my improv group from college that was very importnat to me. I bout a ticket in November thinking I would have lost some weight and I just e-mailed them and told them I can't come I feel so ashamed. But other than the firsdt 10 pounds I have lost 0. My first fill is on Monday. I now feel like this is a big joke and I am never going to get on top of things. I am so ashamed that I am letting my selfconsciencsness (my spelling sucks) stop me. But I am 100pds heavier since they last saw me. On top of it all , oneof my friends who will be there is a super big celebrity and I was so pysched to see him and get him to come visit my students- I have kept my surgery a secret form all but family and close friends - I am alone in a condo in Utah while my family skiis- I am supposed to get out there with them, but putting on gear only makes me feel fatter- boy I am really feeling sorry for myself- I am embarrased that I am so weak-

Marty, RELAX!! You are doing great! You've been banded less than a month and are down 10 lbs. That's great! The first 6 weeks they say aren't for losing weight, but for healing. The weight loss really doesn't kick into high gear until after the first couple fills. If you are lucky it will just take a fill or two, but some folks take more than that. We are all different. But this too shall pass and youwill get on a losing path. I know how hard it is to want to socialize when you are feeling so low about your weight, maybe you can start small. But it is really important to start getting involved in things, etc. as you lose it will get easier. Where in Utah are you? I lived in Sandy for several years. We could see the Snowbird tram from our front window.

Hi all,

Well my family and I missed the tornadoes in TN by 6 miles. Thank goodness!!!

I got another fill this past Tuesday. It was with the doc for the first time since after my banding in Sept 08. He is much more aggressive than the nurse. I have been sort of scared. I hope I am not too tight. The nurse always put in .2-.4 CC but the doc put in .8. I'm glad since I have only lost 2 lbs since being of January but since Tuesday alone I have lost 6 lbs. Of course that's what happens when you can barely get 3 Protein shakes down in a day. Today I ate a small sausage patty for lunch and 2 chicken wings for dinner. That was tough and slow but no PBing. I'm taking it slow because I know in a week or 2 there is such a big difference in the swelling or whatever it is that happens and then I can eat so much more. I needed that to get back on track and lose some weight.

Janet, what commercial did you do? And your before and after look great.

Long, do you have any pictures of you before and after? I'd love to see them.

Ms Bubba, I hope you continue to get better.

Apples, I PMd you and hope to see your pictures.

Also how did everyone decide what goal weight was right for you? The only reason I said 135 is because that is what the physch doc told me I should shoot for. Well I'm 1/2 way there now and it's only been 6 months. take care.

Niecey

Hello everyone. I am fairly new to this site and this support group is exactly what I was looking for and hoping to find. I am getting banded at the end of may, or beginning of june depending on my surgeons schedule. I will find out the date for sure on may 7th when I meet with him to go over my paperwork.

Anyhow, I am finding that I am not nervous about surgery, but rather more nervous about this not helping me! I too am a "food addict" am I am terrified that I will be the exception to the weight loss that everyone else is experiencing. I am 5'6" and am 275 lbs.! Disgusting! I am 26 years old, a hairstylist and full-time college student. I have struggled with my weight since I was about 16 years old. I am READY for this change and I know that this is definately the right move for me. I have done a lot of research and I know what to expect. Since so many other diets of mine have failed, I am terrified that this one will too. I feel like this is my only hope for getting control of my life and my eating habits. Can anyone offer me any words of wisdom?

Thank you,

Meredith

Hi Marty,

Wanted to put it out publically that what you are feeling and doing is exactly what most of us have went through. Many of us have been successful but I do not know anyone who did not doubt their choice and hide when they were at their heaviest. I used to run the other way when I saw people I had not seen in a while and I never went to functions-ever. I even stayed home from family functions because I was so embarrassed. When I was first banded, I spent many nights frustrated to the point of tears. Banster Hell is the toughest time and depending on how aggressive your Dr will be, sometimes it takes a few fills to get restriction.You need to tell your Dr how you are feeling and ask him to be a bit aggressive. I did at the beginning and it worked. You will get there and you can do it! Pull yourself up by your bootstraps and give yourself the well deserved credit for getting the surgery and start believing in yourself! It takes time- like everything else. One day at a time. Keep reading and educating yourself. Know that we are all on your side and here for you. Good Luck Monday.

Hello everyone. I am fairly new to this site and this support group is exactly what I was looking for and hoping to find. I am getting banded at the end of may, or beginning of june depending on my surgeons schedule. I will find out the date for sure on may 7th when I meet with him to go over my paperwork.

Anyhow, I am finding that I am not nervous about surgery, but rather more nervous about this not helping me! I too am a "food addict" am I am terrified that I will be the exception to the weight loss that everyone else is experiencing. I am 5'6" and am 275 lbs.! Disgusting! I am 26 years old, a hairstylist and full-time college student. I have struggled with my weight since I was about 16 years old. I am READY for this change and I know that this is definately the right move for me. I have done a lot of research and I know what to expect. Since so many other diets of mine have failed, I am terrified that this one will too. I feel like this is my only hope for getting control of my life and my eating habits. Can anyone offer me any words of wisdom?

Thank you,

Meredith

Welcome Meredith....write this down "I will succeed" and hang it on you frig, you mirror, in you car and repeat it to youself many times a day. I think everyone of us had the same feelings as you are having right now.

Sounds like you've done your homework and you know what to expect. Best thing you can do for yourself is to be well-informed ahead of time. Take care, good luck and keep us up-to-date on you surgery date and how you are doing post-op.:drool:

Hello everyone...Nice to see so many new people on here. It's a great place for support and a good kick in the butt when needed.... Welcome..

I'm still the same today.....Dr said again, CT on Monday and then food......Can't even imagine how that will be anymore.... I did ask about my band this morning. He said that when the time is right we will re-start the fill process.. He also said that he still doesn't know what happened to me, but I have incredible adhesions in and around my organs..... Why me, I just don't know!!!!!! I'm now getting hospital bed bachache.....I try to walk it off, but it just comes back... Maybe only a few more days.... Keep your fingers crossed for me...

Taking care and have a Blessed Easter..............Julie

Hello everyone...Nice to see so many new people on here. It's a great place for support and a good kick in the butt when needed.... Welcome..

I'm still the same today.....Dr said again, CT on Monday and then food......Can't even imagine how that will be anymore.... I did ask about my band this morning. He said that when the time is right we will re-start the fill process.. He also said that he still doesn't know what happened to me, but I have incredible adhesions in and around my organs..... Why me, I just don't know!!!!!! I'm now getting hospital bed bachache.....I try to walk it off, but it just comes back... Maybe only a few more days.... Keep your fingers crossed for me...

Taking care and have a Blessed Easter..............Julie

I am praying for you! You have a Blessed Easter too!

Thanks for the kind words, Niecy. You asked about photos. If I figured this out right here is a before and current. I am down 115lbs in the current.

Julie, sounds like you are feeling somewhat better. I've been concerned for you because you sound so depressed. I pray you get to go home soon.

Long......you look ONEDERFUL!!!!!!!

Julie...sending "hugs" your way. Thanks for keeping us updated. I think of you often throughout the day.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend and wishing you all a Happy Easter!

Long, the picture is wonderful......You should be so proud of yourself.... Congratulations.....

I am a bit depressed today..... It's getting to be a long time and I hurt and I want to quench my thirst in the worst way. And it's Saturday. Things slow down here on the weekend's.. Haven't had any company and only a couple calls, so the time has been so long... Only so much laying around before I get agitated. I've walked the halls and done what I can, but it's still what it is.....boring... Hoping for better tomorrow.... Nurse promised me a backrub later when I'm ready for bed..

Thanks for thinking of me, I'll be okay, just having a bad day..... take care... Julie