Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hello,

I am considering the band but am unsure if it is right for me. I am 30 years of age, 5ft 4in and 221lbs. I do not have any health issues but am unsatisfied with the extra weight. Would the band be right for me also would I be able to get my insurance co. to cover the cost.

Thank you

Mesha - As Phyl said - 1st place to check is with your insurance carrier as to weither or not they will cover the surgery - #2 Know that our bands are only tools to help us get healthy - It's not the magic cure all to our issues with food - it doesn't make our food choices nor does it exercise for us. There is alot of work involved - it's not the easy way out that so many think it is - You will do 75% of the work and your band will do 25% once you get to your sweet spot.

What a great site!!!!!! Why did I not know of this lol. I just joined last night and found so many beneficial idea's here. I was banded Sept 18th 2008 and have done very well thus far. I just relcoated to NewYork and hopefully either this Friday or next going for my 3rd fill. I have had to struggle through this process as the states I lived in could never get things right for insurance, so I had to wing it. Everyone of you who has posted here have inspired me so much. Thanks a million. I went to bed last night so over whelmed with the support I see everyone giving out. I couldn't wait to get back on here this morning. I have a ways to go but I just try and look at it where I came from of 500 to be at 376 today. I lost over a 100 on my own before the band. My 38th b-day is coming up in August the end so gives me more to play with hahaha, and I have set a new goal for myself with that alone. Wish me luck and once again thank you for this thread.:confused:

Welcome Gurliegirl !!!

Congrats on your accomplishments !!! You are doing really well.

Yes LBT is a great site - I was luck to find it prior to being banded - I learned so much prior to seeing my doc - he was so impressed with all the knowledge I had prior to being banded.

I would say that the support that I have gotten from this site and all my friends here is what has helped me get to goal and in maintenance too...

Look forward to chatting with you...

FDBAGPIPE - Sounds like gas pains - GasXstrips and walking helps

Rose - I am lucky that my gym is like 2 blocks from my house and I come home from work change and hit the gym. It's not a meat market kind of gym - just regular pple are there - and I was so deterimned to lose this weight that I just went and did my thing and didn't worry about what pple thought - now I have a trainer that I pay so that assures that I am going to show up at least twice a week :wink2:

I like it - I don't know if I would exercise at home - plus I don't want a treadmil in the middle of my living room :thumbdown:

Julie - Yes drugs are very good - Please know you are in my prayers..

Sharon where are you - how are you doing??

Kathy - What's up with you - were are you today Virgina - Texas - Oregon :mad2:

Good Morning Gang - CBL :sneaky:

Healthified" Spinach and Rice Casserole 72% less sat fat • 43% fewer calories • 61% less fat than the original recipe—see the comparison. A favorite casserole gets a star makeover. Substituting brown rice for white provides whole-grain benefits while reduced fat ingredients trim the fat but keep the flavor. From eatbetteramerica.

Prep Time:20 min

Start to Finish:1 hr

makes:8 servings (1 cup each)

2teaspoons olive oil3medium carrots, chopped (1 1/2 cups)2/3cup chopped celery1medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)1clove garlic, finely chopped1 3/4cups water1can (10 3/4 oz) condensed 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup2boxes (9 oz each) Green Giant® frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained1 1/2cups uncooked instant brown rice1teaspoon Italian seasoning1/2teaspoon pepper1cup diced cooked ham3/4cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (3 oz)1/4cup grated Parmesan cheese

1.Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. 2.In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add Water and soup; heat to boiling. Add spinach, rice, Italian seasoning and pepper; return to boiling. Remove from heat; stir in ham, 1/4 cup of the Cheddar cheese and the Parmesan cheese. Spread in baking dish. Cover with foil.3.Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Let stand uncovered 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Nutritional Information 1 Serving: Calories 220 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 15mg; Sodium 780mg; Total Carbohydrate 26g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 3g); Protein 12g % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 180%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 25%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1 Vegetable; 1 Medium-Fat Meat; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2 MyPyramid Servings: 1/2 c Dairy, 1 tsp Fats & Oils, 1 oz-equivalents meat & Beans, 1/2 c Vegetables

Just call me Apples today :0) - I'm hungry !!!! I perusing healthy recipes :0)

Hi Janet & everyone - Just checking in. I'm back in town for Easter, then will be traveling again next week. No real change with weight loss. Seeing the doc on 4/13. Anxious to find out what's next.

I love reading the posts. Wish I could contribute more, but you all are great. Thanks for keeping this thread going.

Kathy

Hi girls, I'm a bit better today. Dr was in a bit ago and said that all cultures are coming in clean.. My bloodwork is good and other numbers are falling in to normal ranges... If this continues he may introduce liquids next week and watch what happens. I still get the idea they don't know exactly what has happened...only that it is a big mess.....AND NOT THE BAND!!!!! Now that they are giving me nourishment in IV some of the terrible cottonmouth has subsided. This is good.... I'm starting to settle in I guess, as things are calming down...

I read someone hit onderland....congrats to you.... I'm glad to have all your posts to keep me with something to read... Keep doing what you do, I;ll be listening...

Better go get my walk in.... Take care....Julie

Hi Janet & everyone - Just checking in. I'm back in town for Easter, then will be traveling again next week. No real change with weight loss. Seeing the doc on 4/13. Anxious to find out what's next.

I love reading the posts. Wish I could contribute more, but you all are great. Thanks for keeping this thread going.

Kathy

Kathy - I am glad you haven't given up - If I were you I would start a thread - who is super tight in the morning and can eat whatever you want in the evening and see how others are dealing with this situation. I think I have read where others have this problem too..

I haven't looked at the whole forum lately - mostly just have time to post here - my lucky #7 and the 50 thread everynow and the and FB - there not enought hours in the day :0) but I know I have read that others have this issue too..

There is a lady nannook (something like that - look on the sleeve forum/thread) she had problems too - she had her band removed and went with the sleeve..

Hi girls, I'm a bit better today. Dr was in a bit ago and said that all cultures are coming in clean.. My bloodwork is good and other numbers are falling in to normal ranges... If this continues he may introduce liquids next week and watch what happens. I still get the idea they don't know exactly what has happened...only that it is a big mess.....AND NOT THE BAND!!!!! Now that they are giving me nourishment in IV some of the terrible cottonmouth has subsided. This is good.... I'm starting to settle in I guess, as things are calming down...

I read someone hit onderland....congrats to you.... I'm glad to have all your posts to keep me with something to read... Keep doing what you do, I;ll be listening...

Better go get my walk in.... Take care....Julie

Julie

So glad to hear you are doing better today.. Do they have any ideas as to what happend and how this happend???

Remember - we are here for you - prayer are being said for you - Hugs Janet

Hi everyone!

I just got my very conservative fill and I am doing fine. I was able to sip Water in the office and I had some Soup and some yogurt. I don't feel full, but I realize that I have only had liquids today due to my fill. Liquids tomorrow and then solids on Friday and I will be at home then-just in case I PB.

Julie - I hope you continue to have better days ahead of you.

Have a good night everyone:smile:

Good Evening Ladies...and any men that lurk. I had a great day. Have not seen my LB doc since early Nov. when I was at goal. As I've talked about previously, for some odd reason my body did not want to quit losing when I put the brakes on and more than doubled my calories. I again increased my calories and I am now up to 2000-2500 cals a day. It's absolutely difficult to fit it all in. But, for some reason that is what my body needs to maintain. Well, long story short...I was sooooooooooo worried that my doc was going to kick my butt and be ticked at me for being almost 20lbs under my goal.

Needless to say, my appt. went fine. I am still within a normal weight range...on the low end but he was not concerned. Asked me if I was happy...yep. Said he was happy and said that he was impressed by me. Whew...I worried myself sick over this.

Time for me to quit worrying and get on with life.

Janet...your recipe sounds so good. Problem I have is that I cannot swallow rice without knowing it's going to cause me troubles. I can eat wild rice so I am going to try that in your recipe.

Julie...happy to hear you are doing better. A little package is on the way to you. Something to occupy your time and just a way to let you know I care.

Great advice Phyll and Janet to the new girls. It's always nice to have a soft place to fall and just fit in. That's what happened to me with you girls. I lurked for awhile with this thread and then knocked and came in. You guys were so welcoming and continue to be who I come to. Love ya!

Good Evening Ladies...and any men that lurk. I had a great day. Have not seen my LB doc since early Nov. when I was at goal. As I've talked about previously, for some odd reason my body did not want to quit losing when I put the brakes on and more than doubled my calories. I again increased my calories and I am now up to 2000-2500 cals a day. It's absolutely difficult to fit it all in. But, for some reason that is what my body needs to maintain. Well, long story short...I was sooooooooooo worried that my doc was going to kick my butt and be ticked at me for being almost 20lbs under my goal.

Needless to say, my appt. went fine. I am still within a normal weight range...on the low end but he was not concerned. Asked me if I was happy...yep. Said he was happy and said that he was impressed by me. Whew...I worried myself sick over this.

Janet...your recipe sounds so good. Problem I have is that I cannot swallow rice without knowing it's going to cause me troubles. I can eat wild rice so I am going to try that in your recipe.

Julie...happy to hear you are doing better. A little package is on the way to you. Something to occupy your time and just a way to let you know I care.

Great advice Phyll and Janet to the new girls. It's always nice to have a soft place to fall and just fit in. That's what happened to me with you girls. I lurked for awhile with this thread and then knocked and came in. You guys were so welcoming and continue to be who I come to. Love ya!

So glad your appt went well! Sure a lot better than my last one went!!

:smile::mad::)

My sharp-tongued PA was having a PMS day, I think. You are doing GREAT!!

So glad to have you here...

you are a valuable contributor to this thread!

Hi everyone!

I just got my very conservative fill and I am doing fine. I was able to sip Water in the office and I had some Soup and some yogurt. I don't feel full, but I realize that I have only had liquids today due to my fill. Liquids tomorrow and then solids on Friday and I will be at home then-just in case I PB.

Julie - I hope you continue to have better days ahead of you.

Have a good night everyone:smile:

Claudine - Glad your fill went well - it can take a couple of days for it to settle in - I was fine at the doc's office but then a day or 2 later couldn't drink my coffee in the a.m.

I hope that this fill gets you to your sweet spot - It helps so much - but it's still work..

Hugs - Janet

Apples - 2000 calorie is normal calories for a normal person - remember we aren't dieting and omw girl you are super super active. Am glad you are relaxing about the whole issue - that in it's self will help.. I think about what I eat - I don't go hog wild on anything - I eat pretty much what I want - I just focus on eating healthy and I do say no to those candy bars at the check outline and I don't let anything in my cart that I can't control..

I can't tell you the last time I saw my doc (well it was when I made the commercial) but I haven't been to his office since I think maybe May 08 - I guess I should make an appointment - I am due for another blood test - but I'm not a doctor person - I don't go unless I have to - I may call in the next few weeks and ask if they want to see me..

On the receip - I'm not big on brown rice - I like the wild rice idea...

You are my mentor :wub: You are such a wonderful thoughtful woman - I just don't know where you find the time to do all that you do - do you sleep :mad:

So glad your appt went well! Sure a lot better than my last one went!!

:smile::mad::)

My sharp-tongued PA was having a PMS day, I think. You are doing GREAT!!

So glad to have you here...

you are a valuable contributor to this thread!

Phyl - you crack me up - I know that you will have a great come back for her once you go back home and see them again..

Phyll and Janet...I FEEL the luv!

Yep...I sleep. I'm a true believer that sleep has a lot to do with body chemistry, weight loss, moods, etc. I have always striven to make sure I have not been sleep deprived.

Phyll...I have a feeling that sharp-tongued PA would be in for a "Phyll ass kick'n" if she got too far out of line!

Buddies, just checking in........nothing to report other than this cortisone injection helped my back , but I am so hungry that I want to graze all day long. I don't think a fill would help. I think I am scheduled for one on the 16th. I sure hope I lose a few by then.

Julie, I am praying for you.

Orea, you are in my prayers too.

good morning!

Apples so glad to hear you are relaxing about the weight issue. Listen to your doc, you are doing just fine! And I bet look awesome. Are we ever going to see a picture of you???

Claudine, glad the fill went well. You have to be on liquids for 2 days after a fill? Poor thing, hope it goes well for you!

I am actually getting a small unfill today. Since my last fill which I think feels fine during the day, I have had some reflux at night. I mentioned it to the fill nurse and she suggested I get half the last one taken out and see how that goes. I'm scared to death as I am losing so slowly now and felt I really needed that last fill as my portions had grown. For those at goal, did the last 20 or so really come off slowly? I just panic that I won't lose anymore. I think I got so spoiled at the rate I was losing that now when it's slowed down so much I get scared and the old thoughts of, 'see I knew you'd never lose it all' come racing back in this sick head of mine.

Well I am off to work, then volunteer at the hospital, then my unfill, then home to get ready for the church small group that meets at my house tonight. WHEW!! I need a nap!

good morning!

Apples so glad to hear you are relaxing about the weight issue. Listen to your doc, you are doing just fine! And I bet look awesome. Are we ever going to see a picture of you???

Claudine, glad the fill went well. You have to be on liquids for 2 days after a fill? Poor thing, hope it goes well for you!

I am actually getting a small unfill today. Since my last fill which I think feels fine during the day, I have had some reflux at night. I mentioned it to the fill nurse and she suggested I get half the last one taken out and see how that goes. I'm scared to death as I am losing so slowly now and felt I really needed that last fill as my portions had grown. For those at goal, did the last 20 or so really come off slowly? I just panic that I won't lose anymore. I think I got so spoiled at the rate I was losing that now when it's slowed down so much I get scared and the old thoughts of, 'see I knew you'd never lose it all' come racing back in this sick head of mine.

Well I am off to work, then volunteer at the hospital, then my unfill, then home to get ready for the church small group that meets at my house tonight. WHEW!! I need a nap!

Hey Long...I don't know how it is for all but my last 20lbs came off the slowest. Try to be patient. That plateau will break and you will be "Yahooing" again. Try to be patient until that time. You WILL reach goal. Look how far you have come!

No, I haven't posted photos but if anyone wants to see the results just PM me with your email address and I will send them to you.

Hope everyone has a good day. I'm heading off doing farm and personal errands, have a appt. at the salon, need to drive 65 miles to hit Walmart and then this evening have our computer guy here to set us up with a new computer. Ready to throw this one in the trash!

morning all, I slept fairly well and have now had my shower and new bandages. Put on my own nightie today, jst for the heck of it. Doc was positive again today...... maybe I can try a few Clear Liquids next week.... I"d kill for a popsicle right now!!!!! Think my baby is coming to see me today....can't wait to see her!!! Need to try to curl my hair some, look like a hag.....but, too tired now...take care all..... Julie

Good Morning Gang !!!! Happy Hump Day !!! One more work day for me - then off to see DS & Family for Easter !!!

Buddies, just checking in........nothing to report other than this cortisone injection helped my back , but I am so hungry that I want to graze all day long. I don't think a fill would help. I think I am scheduled for one on the 16th. I sure hope I lose a few by then.

Julie, I am praying for you.

Orea, you are in my prayers too.

Charlene - I'm glad the shot helped your back - Gril you are doing great 7 lbs per month is your average weight loss - Keep it up !!!

good morning!

Long - Some seem to get reflux and what I have read it can be contributed to being too tight - Donna who's on my lucky#7 had an little unfill due to the reflux issue - I get a little heart burn sometimes but not often

As to the last 20 lbs - Well for me - the last 7.5 lbs took about 5 months - 7/24 145.5 - 12/10 - 138 - I was very forturnate that from 250 - 145.5 came off pretty regular - I only had 1 week that I didn't lose any weight.

The whole thinking this isn't going to work was in the back of my mind the whole time - and still is an itty bit now - will I keep the weight off - I gotta say for me I just kept up my healthy eating and exercise and my body found it's happy weight.

If you just keep doing what you have been doing - it will come off !!! You have done so well - in no way are you a failure and I Know that you will get to goal - I have no doubt at all - Keep your thoughts postitive - remember this is your new lifestyle and not a diet...

Hey Long...I don't know how it is for all but my last 20lbs came off the slowest. Try to be patient. That plateau will break and you will be "Yahooing" again. Try to be patient until that time. You WILL reach goal. Look how far you have come!

No, I haven't posted photos but if anyone wants to see the results just PM me with your email address and I will send them to you.

Hope everyone has a good day. I'm heading off doing farm and personal errands, have a appt. at the salon, need to drive 65 miles to hit Walmart and then this evening have our computer guy here to set us up with a new computer. Ready to throw this one in the trash!

Apples - Well I guess no cooking today :0) - You will be getting a pm from me - I want to see your before & afters :0)

morning all, I slept fairly well and have now had my shower and new bandages. Put on my own nightie today, jst for the heck of it. Doc was positive again today...... maybe I can try a few clear liquids next week.... I"d kill for a popsicle right now!!!!! Think my baby is coming to see me today....can't wait to see her!!! Need to try to curl my hair some, look like a hag.....but, too tired now...take care all..... Julie

Julie - So happy to hear you got your own jammies on - I know that will make you feel a little more comfortable and seeing you grandbaby will too. Hugs Janet