Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hi All - Lots of stuff going on around our house and I've not been on the computer much in the last few days.

I had my eye surgery on Saturday - laser treatment for "acute angle closure glaucoma" in the left eye. It went okay - I have the post-op check on Thurs to see if the problem was corrected. They will do the right eye in a few weeks. This has been pretty scary, as it can develop into a big problem w/o warning, and vision can be lost in a matter of hours if it is not treated surgically very quickly. Becky - I have macular degeneration also (threats are coming from all sides!!), but I don't think it is the type that is treatable with surgery. They are getting to know me pretty well at the eye clinic, though!

I had my first fill on Friday - 3 cc in my Realize band. It's going pretty well, I have not had any hunger issues, and have been satisfied with my 1/2 to 1 cup of food per meal. Love my Protein and vegies so that has not been a problem. DH and I have eaten out several times in the last few days and I've been able to order a healthy meal and bring home at least half for another day (or days!). I am down 22 pounds and feeling like that is a pretty good loss to date.

Apples, I hope the blizzards did not keep you snowbound at home! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow morning as you are leaving for the sunshine state... I hope you have a great time - and use your sunblock.

Lori - that class sounds like fun. I'm so glad you told that VOICE where to get off! If we all did that more often we would be a lot better off and have a lot more fun in life...

Where is everybody at (Tues) night. All my kids and grandkids were in and out all day today. Was good to talk with everyone but man a person sure gets used to the peace and quiet when they move out. I am gettin in trouble with Protein Bars. Im starting to treat them like a candy bar:cursing:.My weight is staying at 56 or 57 lbs but I got to get this moving again. I stay at 800 -1000 calories a day but the daily plate says one day too many carbs and one day too many fats so I got to re check myself. JoAnn you are doing very well. Congratulations!

My kitchen plans are coming along. Picked out either hickory or maple cabinets. He likes hickory so will pro go with that. Got all appliances picked out. Getting a convection oven and a convection microwave (can't wait for that) this time and a french door frig with an ice maker on outside. Can't do without the outside ice maker any more and I hate my side by side. Everything is piled up in the frig all the time. Tomorrow will go order cabinets, then on to pick out some floor. I don't know whats wrong with me but I haven't been exactly right with my weight plan since Xmas. I got the weight off that I gained but for some reason I can't concentrate on loosing. I am doing well with maintain but need to push this loosing issue.

Beckyo

Hi Janet and everyone. I am relatively new to this site. Last summer I was waiting for insurance approval and was reading entries everyday and then got very ill and had to put surgery off until now. I'm excited because my surgery is scheduled for Jan. 27. I just started my pre-op liquid diet today and it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. I am well stocked with Iospure, Carnation Instant Breakfast, sugar free Jello and pudding, etc. I had major back surgery ten years ago and since then have continued to shrink in height from 5'4" to now 5'1". I had lost 100 lbs. 20 years ago on my own and kept it off about 6 years -- I was single and my son was out of high school and I didn't have to cook for anyone. I had plenty of time to go to the gym and I worked out at least 2 hours every day. Then I remarried and had to start cooking for my hubby and three young step kids and didn't have time to keep up with the exercise. So I gained back that 100 pounds plus a few more. And because of the hight shrinkage, I'm actually much bigger even though I'm not that much heavier. I need the lap band tool to limit my food intake cause I do love to cook and eat. Once I researched the lap band, I decided I've spent 56 years of eating whatever the heck I wanted and now I can handle limiting my food. I also have a 2 year old granddaughter and I want to be around to see her grow up. Thanks for the menitoring site - it's inspiring to read your stories -- you've all done so great -- I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you better.

Where is everybody at (Tues) night. All my kids and grandkids were in and out all day today. Was good to talk with everyone but man a person sure gets used to the peace and quiet when they move out. I am gettin in trouble with Protein bars. Im starting to treat them like a candy bar:cursing:.My weight is staying at 56 or 57 lbs but I got to get this moving again. I stay at 800 -1000 calories a day but the daily plate says one day too many carbs and one day too many fats so I got to re check myself. JoAnn you are doing very well. Congratulations!

My kitchen plans are coming along. Picked out either hickory or maple cabinets. He likes hickory so will pro go with that. Got all appliances picked out. Getting a convection oven and a convection microwave (can't wait for that) this time and a french door frig with an ice maker on outside. Can't do without the outside ice maker any more and I hate my side by side. Everything is piled up in the frig all the time. Tomorrow will go order cabinets, then on to pick out some floor. I don't know whats wrong with me but I haven't been exactly right with my weight plan since Xmas. I got the weight off that I gained but for some reason I can't concentrate on loosing. I am doing well with maintain but need to push this loosing issue.

Beckyo

Becky

Yep - Peace & Quite - I hear you girl on that one.. I love it when I am with DS & Family but after they are gone - I love the quiteness again... I use to think it was so funny that my parents had this routine - how they did everything at a certain time - well now I get it -- It's funny we do become our parents :0)

French door refrigde ?? I have sidebyside - counter depth so it's small and even with just me & GS things are crammed in there.. But I didn't want the fridge sticking out farther than the cabinets..

Yep those Protein Bars are great for Protein - but not good calorie wise and they are like candy bars - You don't need them really - you should be getting all your nurtrients from real food not those bars - I have a few in my fridge (pure protein choc in the fridge is like a candy bar) but rarely eat them - I don't find them that filling and I may take them when I an on a trip - but other wise - I want real food for 200 calories - I am still a volume eater - My volume had decreased tons but I still want real food -

So quit buying them - anything that I like too much I get rid of - I bought some sf (splenda) wafer cookie OMW sweet great fantatistic - just like the real thing - 4 like 110 c - but the problem was I ate more than 4 - so last night they when in the trash... I would eat 4 - go back a while later eat 4 more - and before you know it half the package is gone and I just bought them on Sunday.

Focus on the eating healthy issue - and just cuz it's a Protein Bar doesn't mean it's healthy - those things have tons of sugar in them and can be high in fat too.

I never counted fat or carbs - I focused on Grams of protein and caloires only during my weight loss phase - I did watch carbs but still had them in limited amounts - but again didn't count carbs in veggies - since I am a ww girl - I really just limited my starches...

Gotta say that there is a lot of work in our weight loss phase - it is work - no way around that - but it's laying the foundation for maintenance... It's very easy to get complance after losing 50 lbs - You are feeling so much better looking better - hell when I was 198 in a 14 - I though omw you look good - well now when I look back at those pictures ya I look better at 198 than at 250 but I look and even feel better at 138 - but most of all at 138 I am healthier than at 198..

So - keep on with your food diary - keep making healthy choices - and if some of those healthy choices are becoming a part of the old you (protein bar being candy) cut them from your diet and replace it with something else that you aren't going to over indulge in...

Hi Janet and everyone. I am relatively new to this site. Last summer I was waiting for insurance approval and was reading entries everyday and then got very ill and had to put surgery off until now. I'm excited because my surgery is scheduled for Jan. 27. I just started my pre-op liquid diet today and it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. I am well stocked with Iospure, Carnation Instant Breakfast, sugar free Jello and pudding, etc. I had major back surgery ten years ago and since then have continued to shrink in height from 5'4" to now 5'1". I had lost 100 lbs. 20 years ago on my own and kept it off about 6 years -- I was single and my son was out of high school and I didn't have to cook for anyone. I had plenty of time to go to the gym and I worked out at least 2 hours every day. Then I remarried and had to start cooking for my hubby and three young step kids and didn't have time to keep up with the exercise. So I gained back that 100 pounds plus a few more. And because of the hight shrinkage, I'm actually much bigger even though I'm not that much heavier. I need the lap band tool to limit my food intake cause I do love to cook and eat. Once I researched the lap band, I decided I've spent 56 years of eating whatever the heck I wanted and now I can handle limiting my food. I also have a 2 year old granddaughter and I want to be around to see her grow up. Thanks for the menitoring site - it's inspiring to read your stories -- you've all done so great -- I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you better.

Ljv52 - Welcome to our little family !!!! Congrats on your 1/27 date !!!!

OMW you kept your weight off for 6 yrs - That's fantastic-

I hear you on the diff between being single & 1 kid opposed to having a family to cook for... I know that for me only having my GS to cook for instead of a family is easier - I still cook 2 meals most nights but heck I did that alot prior to being banded cuz I eat diff than he does - I didn't alway - but I like tamale pie he doesn't so - he had tacos from the hamburger meat and I used mine to make tamale pie..

For me now is about me and my health and you are like the rest of us we want to be around for our Grandkids -

Again Welcome - Please stay with us... This is a really great group - even if I do say so myself :tt2:

Hugs - Janet

-------------------------------------------------------

Good Morning Gang.....

Just cking in as usual :rolleyes:

Hi all! I want to thank you all for sharing your wisdom and experiences with the rest of us. I don't post often, but I do read this thread daily and it is both informative and inspiring to me.

Today though, I have a question for you. I'm about one month out of surgery and started eating solid food day before yesterday. I have enjoyed what I feel is good weight loss since surgery...18 pounds the first month, and I've consistently lost weight each week since my surgery on 12/16/08. I've also taken measurements and have lost a significant number of inches.

Now I'm at the point where my scale seems to be stuck and my weight hasn't changed in the last 4 or 5 days. I'm exercising 4 days each week with increased intensity and eat between 800-1000 calories a day, meeting or exceeding my Protein goal of 68 grams as well. Fortunately, I also am experiencing a feeling of fullness on the small amount that I am eating, so I'm wondering how the fill I have scheduled for 1/23/09 is going to help me if I'm already satisfied on my dramatically reduced portions. Finally, I just finished my TOM, so I don't think that is the cause as I lost while on it.

Am I being silly to be concerned this early? I guess it's that voice inside my head that whispers "you're going to fail at this too" that still haunts me.

I sure would appreciate any feedback or suggestions you have to offer!

Hi all! I want to thank you all for sharing your wisdom and experiences with the rest of us. I don't post often, but I do read this thread daily and it is both informative and inspiring to me.

Today though, I have a question for you. I'm about one month out of surgery and started eating solid food day before yesterday. I have enjoyed what I feel is good weight loss since surgery...18 pounds the first month, and I've consistently lost weight each week since my surgery on 12/16/08. I've also taken measurements and have lost a significant number of inches.

Now I'm at the point where my scale seems to be stuck and my weight hasn't changed in the last 4 or 5 days. I'm exercising 4 days each week with increased intensity and eat between 800-1000 calories a day, meeting or exceeding my Protein goal of 68 grams as well. Fortunately, I also am experiencing a feeling of fullness on the small amount that I am eating, so I'm wondering how the fill I have scheduled for 1/23/09 is going to help me if I'm already satisfied on my dramatically reduced portions. Finally, I just finished my TOM, so I don't think that is the cause as I lost while on it.

Am I being silly to be concerned this early? I guess it's that voice inside my head that whispers "you're going to fail at this too" that still haunts me.

I sure would appreciate any feedback or suggestions you have to offer!

Hey Lucky this is going to be quick - cuz I am on my way to the gym

Congrats on you weight loss - eating healthy and exercising:thumbup:

#1 rule - don't weigh in daily - our weight fluctuates too much - pick one day a week (I used the day I got home from the hospital) and weigh that day and only that day's weight counts

Just this morning I weighed 138 - tonite 140 - now come I we know I didn't eat 7000 calories - anyway the fat doesnt metabolize that fast anyway...

Your weight loss is going to flucuate too- some weeks you might lose 1 lbs - then the next week 1/2 lbs then the following week 3 lbs - Heck I know some pple (Phly) who can lose 4-5 lbs in one week then not lose another pound for a whole month

We all lose weight differently - as long as you follow your rules - eat healthy and exercise the weight will come off -

Taking your measurements is great - cuz there are weeks when you might not be losing - but your body will be shrink none the less.

My weight lose was all over the board - .5 one week - then the next week 2 - then the next 1.5 - but I only weighted once a weeks.

Just ask Becky - I was alway telling her to stay off the scales...

as the the fill - you may not need one on the 23rd - there are pple who don't get fills right away - there was a girl in my doc's office who went 6 months without one - just the band being in place can be enough for some - so count your blessing (that you have restriction)

Ok I gotta go - Trainer today - Arms - I will CBL:wink:

Thanks for your response Janet and your warm welcome. Day 2 of my pre-surgery diet went well. The V-8 Soups are fabulous -- I've tried both the Tomato and red pepper ones and I was so surprised they were good!

Hey Lucky this is going to be quick - cuz I am on my way to the gym

Congrats on you weight loss - eating healthy and exercising:thumbup:

#1 rule - don't weigh in daily - our weight fluctuates too much - pick one day a week (I used the day I got home from the hospital) and weigh that day and only that day's weight counts

Just this morning I weighed 138 - tonite 140 - now come I we know I didn't eat 7000 calories - anyway the fat doesnt metabolize that fast anyway...

Your weight loss is going to flucuate too- some weeks you might lose 1 lbs - then the next week 1/2 lbs then the following week 3 lbs - Heck I know some pple (Phly) who can lose 4-5 lbs in one week then not lose another pound for a whole month

We all lose weight differently - as long as you follow your rules - eat healthy and exercise the weight will come off -

Taking your measurements is great - cuz there are weeks when you might not be losing - but your body will be shrink none the less.

My weight lose was all over the board - .5 one week - then the next week 2 - then the next 1.5 - but I only weighted once a weeks.

Just ask Becky - I was alway telling her to stay off the scales...

as the the fill - you may not need one on the 23rd - there are pple who don't get fills right away - there was a girl in my doc's office who went 6 months without one - just the band being in place can be enough for some - so count your blessing (that you have restriction)

Ok I gotta go - Trainer today - Arms - I will CBL:wink:

Hi Janet,

Thanks for your words of wisdom. It has been so much fun to get on the scale everyday....while there was daily loss that is! But perhaps you're right and I am at the point where I should consider weighing on a weekly basis. I'll give it a try!

I am so thrilled that I was banded and finally feel like I have hope! Each day is a new day for me and the victories of fitting into "new" old clothes from my closet is such an incredible feeling. I love shopping in my closet. I've also got tons of jeans (size 10-14) that I saved for many years because I always had hope that I'd get back into them. With my band and my new lifestyle I know I'll be back in them soon!

Have a blessed day!

Emily

Hi indiogirl,

i was banded 3-28-08 at 247lbs and i have only lost 43lbs.i try to stay at 800 to 1000 cal a day. I have about 4 fills. I was at 6.4 last fill took me to 7.2 doc said he doesn't want to see me for 3-4 months. I still get hungary and not moving the scale. What's the problem???? Please help

Hi Janet and everyone -

It's been a week or so since I have been able to get to this site. Can I take a minute to say that I am really in the dumps about this lap band thing, weight loss, etc. I have been losing the same 2-3 lbs since October.

My doc won't give me a fill because he says I have enough restriction and I need to be better at choosing the right foods and eating within my limits. I know he's right about making the right decisions, but I'm just struggling so much. I know it's got to be 90% me and 10% band but OMG I am having a hard time.

Thanks for letting me say what I needed.

Kathy

Hi Janet and everyone -

It's been a week or so since I have been able to get to this site. Can I take a minute to say that I am really in the dumps about this lap band thing, weight loss, etc. I have been losing the same 2-3 lbs since October.

My doc won't give me a fill because he says I have enough restriction and I need to be better at choosing the right foods and eating within my limits. I know he's right about making the right decisions, but I'm just struggling so much. I know it's got to be 90% me and 10% band but OMG I am having a hard time.

Hello from the Ocala National Forest!!!! For some reason the option to just post is gone so have to quote in order to talk with you guys. We are fortunate and have wireless in our cabin. I actually think we are pulling wireless out of the lodge since we are pretty close.

Our trip was long. We only got 2 hours of sleep, at the airport at 4am and flew out at 6. Got to our cabin at 5pm....slept really good last night. I fly quite often but only twice now since I've had the band. Both times I have gotten EXTREMELY tight. Having a tough time getting nourishment today. Hoping it eases by tomorrow. Making salmon patties for dinner and will try to get a little in me.

This resort we are staying at is right up our alley. Half cabins and half campers. Have met a few people already. Did a day trip today to two surrounding communiities. I think our month will be a good one. Was 30 degrees this morning. Did manage to sit and read in the porch for awhile today though. Got up to 58.

Just thought I would check in. Other than the too tight band, life is good. We are so ready to destress (the process has already started). Sorry for those of you who are struggling. The band can be a lot of work. Just keep focused on your goal......don't let food ruin that for you. You have the perfect tool to help you deal with food issues.

Just try to make healthy choices and keep impulse foods on the shelf at the store!

Hey Janet, you hit the nail on the head with me. I have been running around getting my kitchen stuff done.l A french door refrigerator is with a freezer on the bottom but the top opens like french doors and the whole top is frig except there is ice maker and Water in door. Gives much more room in frig. there are 3 doors. bottom and two on top. Cool huh! I am getting hickory cabinets ceramic tile floor (I think) and a darker granite counter. ( don't know whether to get white or stainless appliances) My son has stainless and has fingerprint problems but they sure are pretty. Yes, I do need to get rid of Protein bars if I am not using them properly. I think I am doing okay on diet part but haven't been walking as much since weather outside has been bad. Am going to join gym as soon as I get over there. I am finally able to eat meat pretty well now. Its been since mid Nov since I had a fill and I might need a tweek but we will see. I don't like to be as tight either. talk to ya later.

Beckyo

Hi Janet,

Thanks for your words of wisdom. It has been so much fun to get on the scale everyday....while there was daily loss that is! But perhaps you're right and I am at the point where I should consider weighing on a weekly basis. I'll give it a try!

I am so thrilled that I was banded and finally feel like I have hope! Each day is a new day for me and the victories of fitting into "new" old clothes from my closet is such an incredible feeling. I love shopping in my closet. I've also got tons of jeans (size 10-14) that I saved for many years because I always had hope that I'd get back into them. With my band and my new lifestyle I know I'll be back in them soon!

Have a blessed day!

Emily

Emily...

How cool that you have the smaller sizes to shop in your own closet - the smallest in mine was one 14 and a couple 16's...

Yep the 1st week I lost like a pound a day - but it did slow - but if you average my loss over a year - it was 8.33 per month x 12 = 100 lbs gone..

Pple just get discouraged when one day the scale says you gained 2 lbs - I won't like and say I didn't jump on the scale on days other than my weigh in day - but the weight on those days didn't count...

Hi indiogirl,

i was banded 3-28-08 at 247lbs and i have only lost 43lbs.i try to stay at 800 to 1000 cal a day. I have about 4 fills. I was at 6.4 last fill took me to 7.2 doc said he doesn't want to see me for 3-4 months. I still get hungary and not moving the scale. What's the problem???? Please help

DCD

Hugs Sorry for your struggles but you have lost 43 lbs and you need to be proud of that:thumbup:

For me my band doesn't keep me from getting hungry - hunger is normal - My band makes me get full on a smaller portion of food - it's normal to be hungry 3-4 hrs after a meal

And I can tell you that even when I am physically full - I am still mentally hungry and I crave more food - just like a druggie craves more drugs or an alcohlic craves another drink - it's all in our heads.. Head hunger manifest it's self into physical hunger and we really truly don't know the diff

Head hunger is my addiction talking to me - telling me I'm hungry and even to this day - for me it feels like true hunger even though I know my stomach is full..

When was your last fill - how much can you eat per meal - what is a typical daily food/menu (what do you eat every day) are you exercise - do you have restriction when you eat hard Protein... Have you had your metabolizm tested.

If you are really only eating 800-1000 calorie you reall should be losing - maybe you need to go 800-1200. Are you keeping a food diary like on daily plate or fitday...

Hi Janet and everyone -

Kathy

Kathy Hugs GF

Your doc hasn't given you a fill since we met in December has he??

Do you have restriction?? It's not what your doc says - its about how much you can eat at one meal - You told me when we met that you could eat a regular steak - did you tell this to your doctor - can you still eat a regular steak - if you can then HELL NO YOU DON'T HAVE RESTRICTION...

Yes we both know that your choices aren't always the best (martini's:tongue:)and that since you travel/eat out so much it's harder - but it's still doable if you had restriction (well execpt for those liquid calories)

You need to go get a steak or any hard protien - go to his office and eat the G Blessed piece of meat infront of him - tell him - Oh this is a good choice how come I can eat the whole damn thing if I have enough restriction...

Do you have any Fill Centers around your area - go there and get a fill - and I would say 75% is up to you and the band is 25%..

But ya either way - it's work... But you saw how much I can eat and we ate the same thing for Breakfast that morning... I have restriction and you don't.. Plan and simple

So you really need to find a fill center or another doctor ...

Hi Janet and everyone -

Hello from the Ocala National Forest!!!! For some reason the option to just post is gone so have to quote in order to talk with you guys. We are fortunate and have wireless in our cabin. I actually think we are pulling wireless out of the lodge since we are pretty close.

Our trip was long. We only got 2 hours of sleep, at the airport at 4am and flew out at 6. Got to our cabin at 5pm....slept really good last night. I fly quite often but only twice now since I've had the band. Both times I have gotten EXTREMELY tight. Having a tough time getting nourishment today. Hoping it eases by tomorrow. Making salmon patties for dinner and will try to get a little in me.

This resort we are staying at is right up our alley. Half cabins and half campers. Have met a few people already. Did a day trip today to two surrounding communiities. I think our month will be a good one. Was 30 degrees this morning. Did manage to sit and read in the porch for awhile today though. Got up to 58.

Just thought I would check in. Other than the too tight band, life is good. We are so ready to destress (the process has already started).

Sorry for those of you who are struggling.

The band can be a lot of work. Just keep focused on your goal......don't let food ruin that for you. You have the perfect tool to help you deal with food issues.

Just try to make healthy choices and keep impulse foods on the shelf at the store!

Hey Apples - I will have to look up Ocala Nat Forest I don't know where in the heck it's at - I thought you were going to Florida for the sun and warmth..

I have flown twice since being banded - and am lucky - no changes in my restriction

Glad to hear you are unwinding - destressing

Good Advice as always !!!!

-----------------------------------------------------

Ok gang cking in - I was talking with a lady I met here on LBT - she went for her 1st constulation 1/13 her doc is pro bypass she wants a band - we have been corresponding for a few months and have talked on the phone once before - well she called tonite giving me an update... Found out we have alot in common - same age - had kids at the same age

Ok it's almost 8 and I haven't eaten yet - so going to eat my dinner - chicken carrots rice... And will talk to you all tomorrow

Hi it looks like you are on your way and I saw a post where you were only at 21lbs loss since being banded - look at you now eh?

So I have a question about being too tight...I just got filled yesterday and I have never had this much restriction before. I can eat/drink very slowly which is something new since I was banded in late August 2008.

I think I finally have a good fill but I am afraid it might be too tight...is that possible? What is it supposed to feel like when you have good restriction?

I started at 255lbs

Current: 227lbs

Goal: 145lbs

Any suggestions on any part of your journey will be helpful.

Thank you,

Cher

Hi Janet - I see the doc next week. I'm going to force myself on him to give me a fill! Thanks for the support.

Kathy