Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

Hi Lyd. I am glad you feel wonderful! Thats great to hear. You can have egg salad? I thought everyone is on a two week liquid before the "mushy" stage. I guess it depends on the dr.?

Just one week of full liquid diet..I put the egg salad in the blender and just added a few peices of the egg white into before I ate it. I had thick strained Soup and cream of wheat before I even left the hospital. How are you feeling?

I am feeling better. Still having difficulty sleeping, feels better to sleep in the recliner. I can have thick creamy Soups and Protein shakes/smoothies. Nothing requiring chewing for another 8 days. Then its stuff "through the straw". When I was in the hospital (24 hours) I was on Clear Liquids only.

Hi Lyd- glad you are doing so well :)

I am not allowed anything I can chew for 2 weeks. I've been happy with slim fast Protein drinks- had enough Jello and broth to last me the rest of my life! I have good restriction for now, but I expect it will lessen as the swelling goes down. Does your Doc. allow mushies right away?? I am actually nervous to eat "real" food.

~Steph

• My boyfriend and I arrived at Davis Regional Medical Center at 6:15 am and we were surprised to see my Pastor walk in right after us. It wasn’t long before I was called back to the pre-op room where they started my IV and got me ready. As soon as I was ready, they let Todd and Pastor Will come back to talk to me.
  • I remember being rolled into the operating room and seeing a lot of guys standing around in there. The anesthesiologist said he’d stay right with me the whole time.
  • At around 10:15 am (I think), I was rolling into the regular hospital room (coming out of my “sleep”) and saw Todd and my Mom waiting for me. Even though the nurse said I would not remember, I do remember Todd saying, “Honey, they took out your gall bladder by mistake. They have to take you back to put it back in.”
  • I was sort of “in and out” for a while after I got to the room. I do remember my best friend Sheila calling and talking to Mama…and I talked with her, even though I don’t remember all I said.
  • I was up and walking down the hall by 1:30 pm and it was much easier getting out of the bed than when I had my C-sections.

Jodi, I noticed you had a hyatial hernia repaired...I have one the will be repaired as well. Did it make your recovery harder/longer? Kimberly

My surgical date was January 5, 2009. I arrived at the hospital at 5:45am for a 7:45am surgery time. Everything went according to schedule - taken to operating area, vitals taken, medical history reviewed, socks put on, IV attached, etc. Just then the anesthesiologist came in to introduce himself. He looked at my mouth and told me that he may have to put in the breathing tube while awake because my mouth area was too small. Now, I have had surgery in the past and never heard this before. (I told him that along with no way will the tube be put in while I am awake). He somewhat backed down, but still did not rule this out. The anesthesiologist assistant came in after and told me that she saw no problem as they perform around 15 lapbands per week and that she is the one that will be putting in the tube. Apparently, the first anesthesiologist was new. I was ready to get up and leave.

My surgery went well with the exception of having had a previous surgical scar that was in the exact spot the tube for fills would need to go. They had to dig a little deeper to open up the area, which took a little longer and no one told my boyfriend who was freaking out. The doctor had told both of us the surgery would take approximately 90 minutes, however they did not come out until 11:45am.

I got to my room and had another shot of Heparin(sp?). This would prove to be a problem later. I was told that I would probably be kept overnight. After my xray and other tests were performed, they decided to release me that evening.

I am home and doing well with the exception of the area of the Heparin shot. Apparently some gas got in the area and I started getting sharp spasms in the area. Pain medication did not stop this! I called the doctor and was told what had happened and how to treat it. I am doing much better and looking forward to getting out and walking in the fresh air.

Take Care!

I've been reading these posts for a while now and I guess its finally my turn! The entire time I was going through my surgery day, I kept thinking about what I was going to write on my post to this thread! My surgery was scheduled for 10:45 and I was supposed to be at the outpatient surgery center at the hospital at 9:15. That meant that I had time to get my daughter up and dressed for school and drop her off. My husband and I dropped her off at school and then we went through a drive through so my husband could have breakfast. We made it to the hospital at 9:00 and was checked in. I didn't have to wait long before I was called back. I was VERY nervous and afraid I was going to have a panic attack, so I answered everyone's question of "How are you" with "I'm very nervous!" I had two wonderful nurses who got me ready for surgery by putting on leg pillows, my gown, getting my IV in (she numbed it with Lidocaine first) and gave me a lovenox injection in the stomach for blood clotting (didn't hurt a bit, but the medicine burned a little...I've had flu shots that hurt worse), and an antinausea patch behind my ear. They called my family back and my mom and husband sat with me until it was time. I didn't get to go back until 11:30 because they were running behind. While I waited, they gave me the Verset (happy medicine) and that helped me calm down ALOT. Normally, that knocks me out, but the nurse slowed down the IV drip so she could still get me to walk to the bathroom for a last minute pee. They took me down to the OR and there were about 5 people waiting for me. One of the nurses started rattling off a bunch of directions for me to get into the other bed (bend legs this way, hold this, scoot here, put feet here, etc). I put my hand up and said, "Whoa!! You just gave me way too many directions at once. I've already had my happy medicine and I have no clue what you just said!" She laughed along with everyone else in the OR and helped me over. I was OK then. As soon as I was on the table, I felt my head begin to spin. Then they put the mask on me and told me to take 5 deep breaths. I only remember taking 2 breaths and saying, "Take good care of me". The next thing I knew I was being wheeled out of OR to the recovery room and I felt about a level 2 pain in my stomach and the nurses were saying, "You did absolutely great!" I asked if I got the band and they said yes. Once they got me to recovery, they began asking all kinds of questions about pain and nausea. I had some of each, but no big deal. They immediately offered liquid lortab which I accepted. I drank it and had some pain in my chest like I swallowed an air bubble, but I am now convinced that was more from the gas pains, not the band. They gave me a bottle of propel fitness Water (they had grape or lemon and I chose grape) and I was told to sip on the for a while so they could make sure things were going down. They called the family back and shortly after, my mom left to go to work. They gave my husband all the discharge instructions. The doctor came in and talked to me and said that the surgery was only 30 minutes and was very easy. My liver was a little enlarged, but not too fatty and they were able to put the band in with no problems. He put in a 10cc band and said it was a little snug, but as I lose weight, it will be fine. I was taken to the bathroom to pee and then they let me sit in a recliner until I was ready to go home. I wanted to wait for a while to see how the water went down and then when I thought I was fine, I asked to change clothes and go. I was home by about 2pm. I've been up walking frequently, taking my meds on schedule, and sipping on my fluids. I didn't want anything yesterday except the water they gave me and this morning, I'm trying Jello and that's pretty good. I have an OnQ pain ball in my pocket that is putting meds in my abdomen until tomorrow sometime. The worst thing has been that the doctor wants me to give myself shots of Lovenox at home. I was hoping I lost enough weight pre-op to not have to do it and I did (I lost 5 pounds during that week), but he wanted me to do it just in case. I just gave myself a shot this morning and it was fine. All in all, I'm glad its over and the soreness will go away and I'm happy to say that all my pre-op fears were silly and everything went better than I could have hoped for! Now if I could just burp and fart, I'll be OK. :thumbup:

Hello all,

I had my surgery on the 13th and all has gone fairly well. I still feel bloated from the surgery. I'm trying to get up and walk as much as possible. I have been having some gas pains or indigestion but I guess that is due to swelling. I am taking clear liquids to make sure I don't get dehydrated but have not really pushed the Protein Shakes. Only liquids for 2 weeks per my doctor. I do not have an appetite at all so that has not been a problem.

I have been lurking on this site and it sounds like alot of good suggestions. :yikes:

Had my operation 1/19/09 (Monday) at Southern Surgical Hospital in Slidell, LA.

My mom flew down to be with me.

We left the house at 5:40am for the 6:00am appointment. Once we got there receptionist checked us in. Shortly after that, a lady called me and another person, to the back and showed my mom where the family room was. (They even gave her tickets for a free meal while she was there, but turns out she never got to use them.)

When I got in back the nurse, Kathy, begin to prep me.

Disrobe, Gown, put all your stuff in a locker. The foot wear was uncomfortable to me for some reason because the seam in the bootie was right between my toes and I could never get comfortable.

IV, Scopamine patch, Nausea injection, shot to calm me down and took vitals. They also, put foot pumps on my feet to keep blood flowing. The bed was uncomfortable to me, but the people were really nice.

I asked the nurse when we would begin and they said that they were just waiting on the doctor to arrive. Within a few minutes he showed up. It Is now 7:30AM.

The doctor speaks to me and asks if I have any other questions. I said I just wanted to thank him for doing this on a day that would have been his off day. He smiled and walked away.

I was wheeled back to the OR. The assistants asked to scoot over on a new table. They kept telling me to breath in the oxygen mask and I did. Then they put in the sleeping agent and that is the last I remember until I was being told to wake up. (Guessing it started at 7:40am)

By 8:15am the doctor was out talking to my mom and telling her everything went great. About that same time I remember a nurse telling me to wake up. She said that band was in and they also repaired a herina.

Next I remember they told me they were waiting for my turn to go to a new room (I am guessing it was the recovery room.) I felt ZERO nausea, but my belly felt like I did a thousand sit ups.

Once in the recovery room they brought me some ice chips. (they were sooo good) The nurse got me 30ml of Liquid Loritab. With in a few minutes I wasn’t feeling pain anymore, except for in my left shoulder, which I realized was just gas.

Once the Loritab worked its magic, I was eager to get walking. I knew from this forum that the key to getting out that gas was walking.

When the nurse seen how ‘awake’ I was she asked me if I would like to walk. Mom came back about that time and I said I would love to try. They sit me up in the bed and I was READY TO GO.

Walking made an amazing difference.

By 11:00am I was getting discharge instructions and proving I could still pee. J

By 11:30am I was in a cab headed for the pharmacy.

The hospital had called in the prescription, and they said they would have it ready. When we pulled up in the cab, of course they didn’t have it ready. So I asked the cab driver to take me and mom back to my house and we would try again later. The lady at the pharmacy said it would be about 30 minutes.

Once back at the house I waited 30minutes and called RiteAid again. They said that they needed my drivers license number. I gave it to the lady over the phone and I told her what happened last time I was there. I asked her when I should leave, she said I could leave immediately because she was prepping it right then.

Called the cab again and drove to RiteAid. Stood in line for sometime as the person behind the register traded pleasntrys with a customer over ringing up bubble gum in front of the store or in back, as 5 people waited in line behind her. (Grr)

Once I got up there, she told me that is wasn’t ready yet. I about lost my mind!

I went and sit down. 2 minutes later they started paging my name to come to the pharmacy. I walked up and got back in line. (sorry this was a bad experience)

At long last I got my pain med and went back home with mom.

Its 8:50pm now and I feel good by all accounts, except a chill I had earlier.

More news to come,

Yesterday morning I awoke at 4:00am (couldnt get back to sleep) for my surgery @10:30AM. I went to admissions and they couldn't find me:scared2: I told her that I got pre-registered on Friday so I know I'm in there. She asked for my name again, and asked which hospital. I was like.duh and gave her the name of the hospital. I was at the WRONG hospital:tongue_smilie: I was directed across the street and I finally got admitted. I waited for only about 5 minutes when a lovely lady called me in. She told me that there were 2 cancellations (who would do through all this work and trauma and cancel on the day of surgery:confused3:?? Anyway, it worked out for me as I turned out to be the only procedure that day:thumbup:.

I was given my robe and instructions, along with my IV and I was ready to go. The nurse told me that the Dr. was waiting for me (NEVER heard that before.lol) and the process would be much quicker. I was happy to hear that:tt1:

So I was wheeled upstairs and given "happy mecidine" to calm my nerves, and boy did it work. I was so relaxed, it was wonderful. Another lady with another Dr. wheeled next to me having the same surgery, we wished eachother luck and I went on my way.

In the room, there were 6 people helping me. Then the anestheseologist told me to take 5 deep breaths. I remember taking 2 then waking up in recovery.

Unfortunately, I was awakened to someone calling my name out very loudly and vomiting:frown: which as we all know is something to avoid. I was still REALLY out of it, but was trying to do what I was told. Problem is, I was shaking, shivering, not breathing well and couldn't move. Bless those people who are equipped for these type situations. After vomiting and other issues, I was given a sedative, and then I remember waking up in admissions, where I started. By the way, the nurse told me about the vomiting and other issues, I vaguely remember any of it.

As I woke up my blood pressure was low which caused everyone (but me, I was drugged up) concern. After taking my BP 4 more times with no change, I insisted that I had never had an issue with my BP and could it possibly be the machine. She doubted it but tried another cuff..VOILA..BP was fine (my DH took a huge sigh of relief). She kept me another hour and checked my BP another 4 times, it was fine.

I was discharged and went straight home while DH got my pain meds. By the time he got back, I needed one and went to sleep. I feel great EXCEPT the soreness in my abdomen and by the port. I have a very hard time getting up, but once I am up, I can walk with no problems. More to come...right now..just glad the pre-op diet and surgery are over!:thumbup:

Hi Colorado ..glad to hear you are okay now...whew...what an ordeal you had. It seems they were very aggressive in their use of anesthesia and meds whereas I had the complete opposite. I wasn't given any sedatives period...then I was given anethesia but not enough to keep me asleep during the part whre they take out the breathing tube. :tongue: That was scary but I was very alert when I was taken to recovery.

We have amazing bodies that constantly strive for Homeostasis - the state of health and recovery.

Now let's forget about that and move forward to a healthy living style!

Best wishes to you!

My surgery was originally scheduled for 4pm on Jan 16. It was rescheduled 3 times the day before and day of surgery. I ended up having the first incision done at 2:10 as they called my family in the waiting room to let them know. Surgery was scheduled to last 45 min to an hour. By the time my family came back from lunch at 2:45 surgery was already complete and I was in recovery. I remember asking the nurse what time it was and she said 3:15. I woke up feeling a little nautious but not much pain. They gave me medication for the nausea and I was great after that. I didn't get any pain medications until they made me drink at 5:30. Once I could drink I was discharged by 6pm and home walking around Target by 7pm. I am very grateful to have had such a wonderful experience with my banding!!!!! I wish everyone else could have a nice easy process as well. I am doing well post op and have had to force liquids as I am not hungry. It feels weird to not be hungry but I am just glad the band is working already. Good luck to the rest of the people who are going to be banded!

SoOverIt- thank you for the positive thoughts, they are much appreciated!

Blueeyes-WOW, what an easy recovery KUDOS! Hope things are still going well.

Here is my update-3 full days out of surgery and I feel MUCH better! I am still sore at the incision and port sites but not nearly as bad. I can get up without any help and without much discomfort. I am finally attacking my Protein (UGH) but it is not easy! I am looking forward to eating my protein rather than drinking it:laugh:

I feel the promise of a healthier and thinner me and it feels wonderful. Good luck to all future and recovering banders!!:thumbup:

Hi all

Had my surgery on yesterday, I never did go to sleep so since I was first case, 7:30 am I got showered and dressed at about 4:30am. I called my aunt for a ride to the hospital at 5:00am got to the hospital at about 515am. Since I work at the hospital in the admissions office; I decided to leave my coat and bag there, thank God I did because I found out that my surgery had been pushed back to 8am and my paper work wasn't done like the first cased were. So I had to be registered then I went up to pre-op area. Once in the back the nuse instructed me to undress and put on the gown after what seemed like a year the nurse finally came in took vital signs, asked all the important questions then what seemed like another year I finally was rolled backed to pre and hold. Once back there my nurse check my Id, started my IV and asked the same questions again. Then the anesthesiologist Dr. Farreri came in asked some more questions about me and anesthesa, checked my ID and explained what was going to happen before and during surgery. About 7:15 Laurie White My Doctor's assistant came in to check on me and to tell me that Dr. Meilahn wouldbe there soon. The anthesiologist came in several times looking to see if the Dr. had come in to see me

finally at 8:10 Dr. Meillahn came in check my belly ask questions. The anthes nuse came in to get me gave me my happy shot and off to the operating room we went. Once I was on the table I don't remember anything. The next thing I remember was being in the recovery room and my nurse telling me it was over and everything was fine. I apparently had a hiatal hernia that my Dr. or myself did not know about so he had to repair that and take out two leasions so all n all things worked out for the best. So I was out about 10-1030am. I was settled in my room at 12noon and I was very, very sleepy, got pain meds from nurse. My mouth was ver, very dry wanted to drink a glass of Water, but a slipp relieved it very temporary. My main problem was mouth dryness. my belly felt fine and I slept for a long time. Later my nuse got me up to the chair and sat there and slept, walked to bathroom sat until I voided and back to bed to sleep. I woke up made some calls, nurse came in got me upa gain to walk the hallway did without incident, ate some broth without incident. back to bed waited for doctor he gave the ok for discharge. I was discharge at 9pm when my brother came to pick me up from NJ my mother's house where I will be recup at. All and All I feel fine no major discomfort. Can't stay up long, have been walking around, holding my new nephew. The visting nurse will be here today and my Lovanox has arrived. So will see how it goes.

Soon I hope the pounds will be comeing off.:thumbup:

Good luck !!!

Kim

Hi Kim,

Glad to hear your surgery went without incident! Here's to a speedy recovery :cursing: