Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

Hi All.

My surgery day was similar to many of those posted. Arrived @ 5:30am for a 7:30am surgery -- the first person in the chute for the day. Never been to SW Washington Medical Center but was impressed by the new building and (mostly) friendly staff.

Had nasty heartburn after, but minimal other symptoms - some pain but not much. The heartburn was vicious :frown:. The surgeon found & repaired a hiatal hernia.

Was released by 1pm after meeting the post-surgery criteria -- Water consumption, peeing, walking, breathing.

All in all...not a bad hospital experience but one I wouldn't want to repeat.

Monday went good. We got to the hospital about 4:45 am, and waited. Got up to the day surgery waiting area, with signing in and my number. Lisa came up before she went to work, and mom and day were close behind. I went back to my curtain about 5:40 am, got changed in to the ICU gown, you know the one where people behind you can go "I C U"!!!

Lisa, & mom cam back and visited then about 6:30 I wanted Ray back there since we were getting down to business. He came back and the parade started, the IV, Heparin Shot in the tummy, belly getting drawn on, twilight shot, and the OR Nurse taking me to the bathroom to potty so I would not have to have a cath! I was all for that!!!

About 7 am we went to the OR....only after they let me get one last kiss from Ray! It was about an hour to get ready before they started on the procedure. He got called very often from the OR to let then know the progress. When it was done, Dr Scott came out and talked to Ray to tell it is all went well. As I have talked about before my doctor has been doing SIL - Single Incision Laporscopy for about a year now. He one incision went in thru my belly button, the port is attached right above my belly button. Hopefully the fills will be easy. I got out of recovery, and in to my room, about 11:00am. By that time, my parents & Ray's parents were there, when they wheeled me toward my room, I say the best image I could..Ray was sitting in my room.

Every one came in I was doing well. we visited for a little bit, and once the moms saw I was good, they started to leave, Ray and I tried to nap. He had to leave about 1:45 to go get Logan. My sister came up about 2:00, we spent some time together, she was the only one of the other 3 kids, who came or even called. I decided to get out of bed about 3:20 to walk and potty, I did really good, I did not get back in bed until about 9:00pm. Lisa came about up about 4, and Pete left about that time since I was not alone, and so she cold miss some of the traffic going home. Ray & Logan got up there about 5:30ish, and ate dinner. It was so nice seeing Logan although I could not cuddle him as I would like to. Lisa headed home about 6:00, and Ray's Tina came in...I was being tag teamed on visitors and it was nice. I begged for a tray...the ice chips were not cutting it, so I was able to have broth, juice, tea, and some frozen Italian ice. They all hung out for about an hour & half, and 3 more laps around the floor. They started heading out about 7:45, and passed Holly in the parking lot...we had some time together, I was feeling tired, but just did not to be alone.

About 9:00, Carlos came and tucked me in. He was my tech for the night. I can not tell you how nice my night guys were. David & Carlos, the guy I had earlier in the day Chris was good as well. I sang there praises to there boss. They kept me taken care of and comfy. I slept from about 2-4:30am, Lis came back up before she went to work.that was nice. I got up after she left since I did not have the leg things any more I had some more freedom, and was allowed to go down stairs. I was able to meet Ray at the door when he came that day. I felt so good. Now I just had to wait on the barium drink & x-ray. It was done about 11:30, I got to see it that was cool I saw the band and the port. So about 4 hrs later I got discharged I was pacing like a caged cat!!!

We left the hospital at 4, got Logan from school, and then home for dinner, left to TKD, then to target to get my drugs. We got home about 8:30 and wound down about 9, I was able to sleep in the bed last night, and have slept alot today and showered so I feel a little more human! Now I am going to get ready to go to a Parent/Teacher conference in the stinking RAIN!!!!

Would I do it again....Yes and once it all starts working in the way it should and the weight is going away it will really be worth it. Thanks for all the positive thoughts and prayers. Just keep them coming. The Journey is just beginning!!!!

Wow, Mis, you really did a lot on your first day home already!!

I was also banded Monday. Got there at 540 for 740 surgery. I too got the heparin shot and all the ivs and everything else all set up. Had to wait about a half hour after that was all done of my doc to get there. Once he was there it went fast. He came in to see me for a minutes and then I was off to OR. When I woke up couldn't believe it was all over already! LOL

They wheeled me to my room and gave me ice chips. my mouth was sooooo dry. They felt wonderful. I really wasn't hungry for anything else.

I had some pain but not a lot at first. After about 4 hours it kicked in though and I started hitting my little button to release the meds. That was very effective. I think I got up 2 times to walk. Didn't have a lot of gas pain but a little in the shoulder. Just mostly sore in the left shoulder.

Around midnight I think they cut off even the ice chips because of the upper GI thing that would be done in the morning. I think I got up once during the night to walk. Slept off an on.

After the GI thing I got my ice and Water back and they finally even brought Breakfast which consisted of chicken broth, lemon jellow, orange juice and a sf popsicle. I ate a few spoonsful of the broth and a little of the Jello but that's it. Just wasn't too hungry.

I walked some more (they were actually impressed with how much I was walking), and around 11am my hubby Warren came. The doctor had just released me and so after signing the papers and getting dressed and stuff we were able to leave about noon.

Warren dropped me off at home and went to get my prescriptions filled. I decided which chair would be most comfortable for me and parked myself there for the rest of the day, except for getting up to walk numerous times and doing a few other little things.

For the most part the whole thing went quite well and easy. I haven't been too hungry yet but I'm sure that's coming. Getting use to the way I have to take pills and Vitamin and stuff now is the main thing I'm trying to get used to.

I was banded on Tuesday, March 24. I don't remember much at all. I remember putting on the gown and having the IV put in my hand. They put the stockings on my legs. I had to take some meds with a baby cup of Water. Then the doctor and nurses came to talk to me. I got hugs and kisses from my mom and best friend just before I was rolled into the OR. I remember seeing the people in there, but then I was out.

Next thing I know, I was waking up in recovery with an oxygen mask on, and the nurse was telling me to calm down and take deep breaths. I'm claustrophobic, so I had her take the oxygen mask off and she put the thing in my nose. I was a bit nauseated so she gave me something in the IV for that. They rolled me down to x-ray for the UGI and everything was fine. They then rolled me into a room where my mom and friend were allowed to come in. The nurse walked me to the restroom. After that she took out my IV. I put on my clothes and went home. No problems at all!

I checked into the hospital at 5:30 a.m. They rolled me back to the OR a little after 7:30. I was out of surgery in less than an hour...even with a hernia repair, and we were home before 1 pm...and I live 1 1/2 hours from the hospital.

I have been a bit sore, but the pain medication has been great! I sleep a lot...hope that's normal, but I am able to get up and move around quite a bit.

I am so excited about being banded! I know this is going to work for me. I am very glad that I made this decision.

I'm excited that I finally get to post on this thread! Haha.

I had surgery on Monday March 23. I had to be at the hospital at 7:45 for my 9:45 surgery. Got there and did all of the pre-op junk. Weighed in (which I was nervous about) and dropped 12 pounds on my pre-op diet, so that made me feel better! Then I peed in a cup, changed into my snazzy gown and then got the heparin shot (which stung a bit). Then I was wheeled to the OR.

Once there, I had my IV put in, and the anesthesiologist and my doc came in to visit, ask if I had any questions, etc. Stayed parked with two other patients there for about 30 minutes. Anesthesiologist came back to me around 9:30 and said it was time to go! Gave me drugs (which I guess kicked in mighty freaking fast), and wheeled me into the OR.

I remember getting onto the table, and putting my arms out on either side of me, and then a nurse putting socks on my feet and that's seriously all I remember. I don't remember having to count down or anything... huh.

Next I knew, I was in recovery. I halfway remember trying to be woken up and I felt like I was having a bad dream, but then I was right back out I guess. Apparently my room wasn't ready and I was in recovery for over 2 hours. I didn't even notice. I thought I was there for like 20 minutes. First thing I asked was how many incisions I had (I was worried because on the surgery board in the OR my surgery said lap-band, possible OPEN, so that freaked me out!). Nurse said 6, and that I did great so I was like "whew" and went right back to sleep.< /p>

Woke up a little bit later and was told it was time to go to my room finally! Got there and my mom came up. I got some pain meds and pretty much went right back to sleep after I talked to my mom for a few minutes.

I was all grumpy for the week before surgery because I really didn't want to stay in the hospital overnight (my surgeon requires that you do). But in the end, I am definitely glad I stayed! I didn't hurt much but I did get pain meds every four hours.

Basically I timed everything with my ice chips. I got them every four hours. So every four hours I'd buzz the nurse and ask to get up and walk. I'd do a lap or two around the floor and then go to the bathroom. I'd also get my ice chips and pain meds. The walking helped with the gas but made my stomach hurrrrt (I assume sore muscles from poking and prodding).

The absolute WORST thing for me were the "hose" to prevent blood clots. They made my legs itch like crazy!

Anyway, I was discharged the next day after seeing my surgeon. He said I did well, and that I had an extra incision to repair a small hernia.

Now that I'm home, I felt like poo for the first two days. The gas was gross. Not in my shoulder but in my chest. Still kind of is. I feel a lot better right now though. Hopefully it will last. I definitely have not been able to drink much though. The first day home I managed like 2oz of Protein Shake and then about 6 oz of Water. 2nd day I managed about the same. Today (yeah it's like 3am) I've already had 2oz of Protein shake so things are looking up! My stomach has started with the crazy gurgling noises.

Good luck to everyone. All in all it was a decent experience. The gas seems to be the worst for me and I'm hoping that subsides soon!

Here is my story. I was banded on March 2nd 2009. My surgery was scheduled for 3pm but the day before it got bumped up to 11 am. My boyfriend is a worry wort so i did not tell him about the time change. I did not want him sitting for hours so I told him i wanted to go in about 7. with him still thinking i was having surgery at 3. he dropped me off and went to work for a "few hours". after i knew he was a good 2 hours away i called and told him i was going in. he was schocked.. He would not have been good waiting for so long.. he worries too much.. So all went perfect.. Dr Arron Hoffman at Buffalo General Hospital in Buffalo N.Y. is the best. 6 days earlier i had my period and thought it was way over with but the blood thinners caused me to bleed more late that afternoon. All i wanted to do was get cleaned up and look good when the boyfriend got there. This is where things got ugly. i just needed help getting up was all. I could do the rest. I asked a nurse to help she said she would send someone in. 2 hours later i was in tears and struggling to stand and wheel my iv to the rest room myself.. i was a mess and all i wanted was to be clean and settled when he got there to see me and say goodnight before he left me to the dogs for the night. the same nurse finally came in as i said after 2 hours. At the same time the boyfriend walked in as i was struggling to walk to clean myself.. i asked him to give me a private minute.. after he left i told the nurse all i needed was her help..and she smarted back and said " well i am here now.. when i laid back down all i had to do was touch the boyfriend fingers through the bedrail as he sat in the chair and all was well. i was there for 26 hours and got ice chips from them only 1 time.. meds were not to be had until they were damn good and ready.. i almost have tears in my eyes typing this.. i hope anyone who has to spend the night at a hospital never feels like the peice of crap i felt like that day.. my boyfrind told me if i would have let him be there he would have taken care of me.. i wish i would have

Here is my story. I was banded on March 2nd 2009. My surgery was scheduled for 3pm but the day before it got bumped up to 11 am. My boyfriend is a worry wort so i did not tell him about the time change. I did not want him sitting for hours so I told him i wanted to go in about 7. with him still thinking i was having surgery at 3. he dropped me off and went to work for a "few hours". after i knew he was a good 2 hours away i called and told him i was going in. he was schocked.. He would not have been good waiting for so long.. he worries too much.. So all went perfect.. Dr Arron Hoffman at Buffalo General Hospital in Buffalo N.Y. is the best. 6 days earlier i had my period and thought it was way over with but the blood thinners caused me to bleed more late that afternoon. All i wanted to do was get cleaned up and look good when the boyfriend got there. This is where things got ugly. i just needed help getting up was all. I could do the rest. I asked a nurse to help she said she would send someone in. 2 hours later i was in tears and struggling to stand and wheel my iv to the rest room myself.. i was a mess and all i wanted was to be clean and settled when he got there to see me and say goodnight before he left me to the dogs for the night. the same nurse finally came in as i said after 2 hours. At the same time the boyfriend walked in as i was struggling to walk to clean myself.. i asked him to give me a private minute.. after he left i told the nurse all i needed was her help..and she smarted back and said " well i am here now.. when i laid back down all i had to do was touch the boyfriend fingers through the bedrail as he sat in the chair and all was well. i was there for 26 hours and got ice chips from them only 1 time.. meds were not to be had until they were damn good and ready.. i almost have tears in my eyes typing this.. i hope anyone who has to spend the night at a hospital never feels like the peice of crap i felt like that day.. my boyfrind told me if i would have let him be there he would have taken care of me.. i wish i would have

MeltingAway - I am so sorry your experience was so troublesome. I would DEFINATELY let your doctor know what happened - and do it right away while the memories are still fresh. He is the one to talk to the hospital about how badly his patient was treated. Also - be sure to let the patient relations office know - they will probably send you a questionnaire based on your stay, and you should be BRUTALLY honest about your experience.

Only if you let them know will they be able to re-train and / or correct the staff who treated you so shabbily.

Hang in there, girlfriend - now that you're banded the good part begins! And it sounds like you have an awesome boyfriend...:crying:

We did it! The waiting is over. Me and my husband, chris had our surgeries on March 24th. Mine was at 8, his was at 9. My mom took care of us - if you're wondering. That's always the first question I get. :biggrin:

The day of went pretty smoothly. We had to be at the hospital by 6. That morning we had to take a shower and use the wash the hospital provided. We got to the hospital and we had to dress in the gown. Start the IV- which is apparently very difficult. It turns out that I have tiny, rolling veins. I've never had any surgery before so I didn't know my veins aren't very cooperative. We had to wait a little bit and then we were rolled in- this is the last thing I remember. I fell asleep before I even left my room. Next thing I know I'm waking up in the recovery room. We had the patch for nausea- so I didn't feel nauseous at all. The nurse told me to breathe heavily for about 30 seconds and then it was fine. We had to do the barium swallow - which is like a chalky liquid that you swallow. There's an xray that you can see how the liquid goes down. This was cool bc I saw the lapband right after surgery. After the swallow, I got dressed and the hospital gave me an icepack and a pillow. Here I waited for my husband to go through all the same steps. Then we got to go home.

The first day was tough. We were very sore. It felt as though we had done a thousand crunches. We didnt drink our shake when we got home. We were just a little too scared. We didnt want the shake to come right back up. The second day was a little better. The most painful part is sitting down or getting up. Our incisions were big deep purple bruises. We didn't have stitches- they used derma-bond. I got 5 incisions, chris got 6. The biggest one is where (I think) the port is- If i'm wrong, please correct me- all you who are already banded. This one hurts the most.

The next day, we took a shower, that wasnt fun. haha. But overall we're improving. We're taking laps around our house (bc the dr. wants us to walk 30 mins a day). Oh and having a sneezing or coughing fit is the worst! LOL.

Overall- the process was very smooth, no problems at all. My husband Chris has lost 40 lbs since March 3, and I've lost 27 lbs. We're able to be much more active now.

HAPPY LAP BAND DAY TO ME!!!

So today was my surgery day, yes i am crazy im online lol,

ok so I got to the hospital at 7:30 went to the restroom then went to check in, then sat till 8.

My nurse ICY came out and basically told us what happens and how they will get mike right when im ready to leave, and then I had to leave him there in the waiting room:( I proceeded to get dress in my gown, sox and cape! Got on the scale and was told my goal was 239 and i was 218!!! So she was super happy for me:rolleyes:

We go over to my recliner and I sit down, they ask the million questions gave me the shot for blood thinning, and took an anti nausea med and this nasty lil drink. Then i got my IV. And she did a bolus, meaning a bag of fluids as FAST as possible, so within 20 min that drained into me.. here comes the potty breaks lol. So after meeting with the surgeon, nurse, anestisiologis, i got walked back by the anesthsia guy.

Got in the room and it was big bright clean, and the surgery table looked fantastic, very comfy!!! Got up on it, and scootched back then laid down. Looked at the clock saw 9:45.. listened to them talk, then did the memorization, and next thing i know is "Nicole, Nicole, wake up..." So then I woke up.. and I forget what they said lol, but i asked dr baggs about my Liver, and he said it was beautiful, and so was my gal bladder. Then i ask if i can go back to sleep lol.

Then the wait begins.. the xray dept decided to close, so from 11-1 they werent there so I had to wait... Then at 1:30 they put me in a wheel chair and got me to that, made the nasty shake and took about 4 sips ,and was done with that, went back down to post op and they put me in a recliner, and i sat there tillo 3:30 when Dr baggs had gotten out of his bypass surgery. He Okd Water so I drank my 2oz andthen saw my pictures and xrays, and you can SEE THE RESTRICTION!!! WOO HOO, yes our drs put a fill in it right off the bat! So then i got dressed and got checked out!

My things that I recommend, stay close by! Im at the Four Points at the Sheraton, and then Stay afterwards, I could not imagine driving home right now!!! Be as happy as possible! Even if in pain...Hot blanket is my friend right nowm, and tea! Only thing i like.

Pain: isnt as bad as my Csection at points.. The pain with a C is lower though, this oneis more up top and hurts to breath sometimes... Feels like a knife is stabbing u, or maybe ur getting punched in the gut... I just went to the store andf got brothYUM, and i took some gasx and its helping with the pain also....

Well thats basically what i remember!!! God Bless everyone! And Talk to you all on POST OP:D:lol:

My surgery went as described above. The second day (that I've just completed) was the worst.... but not bad at all. Some gas (used Gas X). The pain medication seems to make me sleepy... and so I fell asleep often. For a short time, got the chills. It, too, went away. I'm not at all hungry. Ate, or better yet, sipped some broth, liquids, etc... I'll begin thicker liquids for the next week or so. My post visit is in 2 weeks.

I had a similar experience to everyone else, except I found it really hard to wake up from the anesthesia. When they got me up to take my chest x-ray, I told them immediately while still at the bed that I was really dizzy. By the time I got to x-ray, I thought I was going to throw up. I tried to stand again for the x-ray and started dry heaving. That sucked more than I can tell you. They took me back to my room and gave me some anti-nausea medication and tried again in an hour. I was scared that my band moved with the dry heaves but the doc said it looked okay. I was there much longer than I anticipated, but everything went well and my husband was a total trooper. Each day has gotten better and better and I can tolerate more liquids. I wasn't even the slightest bit hungry for the first few days. I have to agree that gas is the worst! I go back to work Monday and really look forward to being fully healed and able to exercise.

Had my surgery on Monday April 6th, in Concord Hospital, Concord NH. My Surgeon is Dr Goldenberg, great guy. The surgery took longer than expected because a part of the band fell off inside and my doctor replaced the whole thing. I have a 14cc band. The first day I was a little sore in the hospital but I managed to get up and walk around. I was given liquid Vicodin for pain and it worked well. I came home yesterday and had one bout of nausea, I took compazine for it and it helped. I feel much better today and tomorrow I start on the Protein Shakes. I was surprised that I gained 15 lbs of fluids in the hospital from all the IV's lol Im looking forward to the future. Right now I weigh 297 and my goal weight is 210. I look forward to meeting and talking to all of you.

John

I had my surgery on Wednesday, April 8th at noon. The actual surgery was perfect, according to my doctor - Steven Patching in Sacramento, CA.

They expected me to be home that evening, but I had some issues.

My blood sugars rose sharply and I could not swallow anything without sharp pains, not even a tiny sip.

They had to put me on an IV with glucose to get some nourishment into me. By 7pm I was admitted to the hospital and they started giving me Insulin to control my blood sugars - I had never taken Insulin before.

The gas pains were horrible and I could still not take anything in.

Because they wanted me on my back they had to bring in a CPAP machine to help me with my breathing/apnea - I do not use one at home since I sleep on my side. But the CPAP had me swallowing more air into my stomach and I was in even more pain.

My poor wife was trying to sleep in the chair in the room or on the floor or along side me on my bed - housekeeping could not find her a cot.

The next morning - Thursday (my sons 11th birthday) - I was still having sever pain when my Dr. came to see me at 7:30 am, but I was able to take a few sips, but not enough to survive on, so they kept me on the IV. My Dr also told me I was the first of his Lap Band patients to ever spend the night.

Spent the whole day doing the "take the tiniest sip, rock back and forth holding my stomach, stand up, sit down, stand up and walk a bit" dance. The hole process was a 25 minute production for one tiny sip. NOT GOOD.

I was beginning to really regret my decision to have the surgery.

Then came the morphine. It knocked me out for an hour or so at a time and I was starting to be able to sleep on my side, so no CPAP. They wanted me to take the Loratab Elixir (it will do the trick, sir) but that required swallowing so that was out.

With the help of the Morphine I was able to sleep off and on for about 7 hours which helped quite a bit.

On Friday I was feeling a bit better the walking was helping to get some of the gas out but it was still an ordeal. My Dr order an Upper GI with 100ml of the clear contrast stuff.

Oddly enough, after the Upper GI, I started to feel a lot better. I started to be able to drink more than a sip or two at a time and by noon I was able to swallow about 4oz of chicken broth in about 30 min. I asked the nurse to contact my doctor and get me out of there.

And now I am home, unable to sleep because the gas is still hanging in there though I feel it moving all around. This too shall pass.

I am not longer regretting the surgery and I am looking forward to the new me.

-BSG

Had my surgery Thursday, April 9th, at Magee Women's Hospital in Pittsburgh! Dr. Corcoulas is AMAZING!

I was scheduled for 1:30PM surgery, so I had to be there at 11:30AM. She requires that all her patients spend the night.

Between 11:45 and 1:15 I met with the anethesologist, his assistant, 2 nurses, my surgeon's assistants (she had back to back surgeries all day), and a few other people. I was given the stockings that inflated to help prevent blood clots and the Heparin shot in my tummy.

Next a nurse came and started my IV. I hadn't been allowed liquid past 10:30 PM the night before and it was now 1:15 and I was really dehydrated, so she had a rough time starting my IV. She eventually went to the next arm and it was a lot easier there. They gave me Parvadal (spelling?!) to help calm me down. At promptly 1:30 they wheeled me to the OR. I vaguely remember having a mask put on my face, but that's it.

I woke up in the recovery room around 3, and asked constantly for my mother (who was upstairs in my room already). They said that I could see her soon! I felt REALLY nauceous so they put something into my IV and I fell immediatly back to sleep. I woke up at 5:45 in my own private room (thank God!). I also remember waking up surprised that I had a catheter! I'm thankful I had it because the IV was running at high since I was dehydrated and I kept peeing like a racehorse! It didn't hurt being in or coming out!

I felt pretty good upon awakening. I had pain at the 5 incision sites, but the Morphine Pump REALLY helped! That thing was a lifesaver! I did have severe gas pains, but I was permitted to walk at 9:30, which did help.

I had my mom and brother visit. Then my best friend came (I was soooo happy to see her) and my 2 other friends to visit me! It was realy nice to see them.

After they left I had a nurse help me take a few laps around the ward (me and a few other Bariatric patients were on the 4th floor-Orthopedic-floor). I got really lightheaded and nauceous so they came and changed my fluids and told me to rest.

I had a fitful first night tossing and turning. I ususally sleep on my tummy, but that proved impossible. I did eventually sleep and was woken up at 10AM for the Upper GI and to be discharged. I woke up with EXCRUCIATING pain in my left side. My port was on the right and I had been burping and walking, so my surgeon, after the Upper GI decided to take my temperature and check-in. I had a fever of 100.6 and was very lightheaded and still in a lot of pain so she decided to keep me another night. All day I was in a huge amount of pain. Most likely from gas. I did keep walking and it did eventually help. Woke up that night at 1:45AM and 4:45AM in a cold sweat and came sooooo close to throwing up. Thank goodness for the awesome and caring staff who every time immediatly got me anti-nausea medicine.

This morning I woke up feeling better. FINALLY passed gas (through the back door, if you know what I mean lol) and felt A LOT better. Still have some gas pains on and off but the Gas-X chewables/strips really help! The liquid Percoset I've only taken twice today (early morning and around 4PM).

Overall they figured that the extreme pain was due to gas and a possible infection at one of my port sites. I've always been suceptible to infecion, so they gave me a few round of antibiotics in my IV. The nurses and everyone was GREAT. So friendly and never lost patience.

When coming home DO:

1. Bring a pillow to hold against your tummy..it really helps

2. Have Gas-X chewables/strips ready!

3. Have medicine cups ready to ration your jell-o/drinks

I can't wait to start becomming the new me!!!!!

First of all - CONGRATS on your surgery and new life style....I can't wait.

What causes all the gas pain ? The anesthesia ??