Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

Hello, here's my story :rolleyes: (I wrote this all yesterday, 5/13/09)

I started getting ready for the surgery Monday night. I tried to do things that I knew I wouldn't want to do right away after coming back from the hospital. I scrubbed a bath/shower that needed to be cleaned, unloaded & loaded the dishwasher, cleaned the kitchen, (TMI) DTD with hubby lol. I also had to wash our sheets so I could sleep on freshly washed sheets, per my instructions. I also had to take a shower with a hibiclens sponge and then take another one in the morning. I only ended up sleeping 2-3 hours so the showers weren't that far apart but oh well.

I got to the hospital at 8am with surgery scheduled for 10am. (I wasn't early just for fun, they asked me to come that early) lol I signed a couple of papers at the admissions desk and then sat in the waiting room for about 5-10 minutes. Then they took me back to a small pre-op room with a bed, chair and tv. The nurse asked me to get all the way undressed and put on their stylish gown, gray skidproof sockies and blue surgery cap. She had me hop on the bed and asked a bunch of questions and I had to sign another paper. She also collected a urine specimen (to make sure I'm not pregnant I think). About this time my friend Becky arrived, which helped pass the time. (I had driven myself there because hubby needed to be home with the kids.) The nurse came back in and gave me a shot of heparin in the belly and it really didn't hurt or sting, thank goodness. She told me that they would be taking me down to the OR about 10:30 (so I guess it got moved back a little) she also started my IV and gave me some medicine to calm my nerves a little. That stuff was great, it did calm me down and made me mellow. They gave a little light up pager thing to my friend and sent her back to the waiting room until the surgery was over. They wheeled me down to the OR and transferred me over to another bed, put the mask on my face and I was out.

I woke up in a recovery room and coughed a little from the breathing tube they had put down my throat during the surgery. I remember looking at the clock at seeing 11:30am or noon. I honestly don't remember much from the recovery room, just that they told me everything went really well. I think I might have cried a little as I was coming out of the fog, I don't know why, but I'm pretty sure I did. Other than earlier in the day when my surgeon came to say hello, I never even saw him at all.

They wheeled me to my room, which was a double room and already had a lady in there. My roommate had a lot of health issues, I felt so bad for her. She had gastric bypass in 1999 and then a revision and she came in to have a hernia repaired for the 3rd time. After being in the room for awhile, I wondered where my friend was and called her cell phone. She, my husband and my 17 month old son were waiting to come to my room, but no one let them know that they could come up. That was kind of annoying...but I understand they get busy.

They came up to visit and my son seemed a little scared by the IV, oxygen in my nose and leg compression thingees. My daughter was at school, thank goodness, I think she would have been really worried about me. After they left, I tried to take a nap and nodded off a little here and there. My roomate got discharged so then I had the room all to myself. :thumbup: I got up a little while later to go to the bathroom and walk the halls.

I spent the evening dozing off and on, getting woken up constantly for vitals, blood sugar testing (even though I'm not diabetic) and once, around midnight, I woke up to find housekeeping stripping down the other bed in the room and cleaning that side of the room. Really, at midnight??

As of right now, I am still waiting to be discharged. I actually kind of wonder if they forgot about me...I was able to get the IV unhooked and took a shower. They also wheeled me downstairs to do the swallow test to make sure the band was in the right place (it is). They have not allowed me to eat or drink anything, other than a small amount of water...it has been 36 hrs since i ate!! I don't know what is going on but I am not having any problems so hopefully they will let me go soon.

Banded May 7, 2009 by Dr. Alae Zarif at Atlantic General Hospital in Berlin, MD.

Worked a twelve-hour night shift upstairs on the orthopedic floor, with nothing to eat or drink after midnight, then took the elevator downstairs and met my hubby in the surgical admissions lobby. :cursing: I saw Dr. Zarif during my shift and he couldn't believe I was there. I told him I was staying up all night to save money on anesthesia.

-Got admitted.

-Got undressed and into a gown.

-IV started (on second attempt thank-you). :cursing:

-Pre-op antibiotic through my IV.

-Shot of Heparin in my belly.

-Off to surgery at 9:45.

-I remember the anesthesiologist picking up my IV port in the hallway on the way to the OR and then, entering the theater, saying "Are you starting to feel those meds yet?"

-Woke up in recovery with a sore throat and sharp, tight, waves of pain in between my stomach and chest and the nurses gave me a LOT of morphine and Dilaudid.

-Convinced recovery room nurses that I was going home instead of upstairs and they transferred me to the outpatient recovery area.

-Being the first outpatient Lap Band patient at AGH, the outpatient nurses offered me ginger ale and questioned my liquid pain meds. I set them straight.

-I sipped some Water and waited for the nausea to subside. Too much morphine!

-I was Dr. Zarif's first patient to not stay for 23 hours observation. (I didn't want to spend another night in the hospital.) I think he was nervous about it, but I insisted and I did fine. No post-op barium swallow either.

Couldn't have had a better experience!

Ok, here goes. I was banded on 5/15/09 at Mercy Hospital in Chicago. Day of surgery got to OutPatient Surgery Center at 7:30. I waited until about 8 when they called me into the room where the wonderful and very caring nurse Donna did all the preppings, heprin shot was given in my stomach area (to which she said most people feel less pain there as opposed to behind the arm :cursing:)

Then my surgeon Dr. Rosett came in and asked me a bunch of questions, I told him I was scared to which he replied "So am I!!" LOL that broke the ice for me.

The anesthesiologist came in and asked all his questions and then after that I was wheeled to the OR. I then got really nervous:scared2: but they (the OR nurses) were all great. Then the anesthesiologist gave me something to "Relax" and after 3 secs of that setting in I asked him to hide some for me for later LOL and that I wanted to buy stock in it as well, LOL!!!

2 mins later he said he was putting me to sleep and I asked for a good movie (like I was on a flight or something), I just remember everyone laughing and I was out!!! :cursing:

I woke up about an hour or so later to the WORST pain, I was all mad because they woke me up and they asked what my name was and I shouted it out all pissed off! The nurse gave me morphine and it wasn't enough, she had to ask how much could be given and was given the go to give me more. After that it was all good. She told me I was an expensive date because of all the martinis that she had to give me to calm down, LOL! She was great and also very attentive, sat by me until it was time to go up to my private room. About 45mins I was taken to my room and was in and out of it for a bit. I got up to walk and that hurt like hell, but tolerable. Then I just laid in the bed all day. I wasn't allowed anything to drink or anything liek ice chips until the next day at about 4pm!! I took the barium chest xray at about 9 so not sure what the hold, but I was pretty damn hungry at that point I was crying. Not sure if it was really a mental thing because of all the commercials or what, but after a while my stomach was really hurting.

I didn't have any pain from the gas until right before my discharge. Right in my left shoulder, man I cried so bad!! It felt like someone had stuck an icepick right in my joint and was wiggling it around! I still get it mildly at night, but other than that the gas hasn't been too much of a problem unless I eat too fast, then it feels like I gotta belch and it wont come out!

Day 4 post op and I just got back to work, everything has been pretty good except these super painful hunger pangs that are really bad, but Im learning how to keep them under control day by day.

So yeah that's it! :cursing:

I was banded on May 18th...here's my story!

I didn't have to to do any sort of pre-op diet, so all I had to do was stop liquids and food by midnight the night before. I had to be at the hospital at 7:30 for 9:30 surgery. My husband waited with me and came back with me when i had to a few paperwork things, then we were sent to the surgery waiting area. I only waited about fifteen minutes and then was called back, by myself at first. I went to the bathroom, changed into my lovely and all too exposing from the back gown, and then they nurse put on my surgical socks. She did great putting in my IV, I didn't feel it at all. What was humorous was with every person that came to talk to me (nurse, anesthesiologist, etc), I guess they are required to ask me, "And what are having done today?" And they would ask in a way that you knew they knew the answer but were required to ask. My surgeon stopped in to see if I had any questions and they let my husband come in for the last couple of minutes. They put some Pepcid (to battle stomach acid) in my IV drip and put a nausea patch behind my ear.

Not long after that, they gave me the "happy medicine" and started wheeling me off to surgery. All I really remember is the nurse saying it might be cold in there. After that, all I remember is waking up in recovery. My stomach was very sore...I could feel the gas in me and feel all the incisions, but I was still so sleepy that I was kept dozing off. After a while they wheeled me into my own room and my husband and mom joined me in there. The nurse encouraged me to use the morphine button as needed, especially when I had to get up to go to the bathroom. Getting out of bed was a pain, just because they had to unplug everything that I was attached to, but I knew I needed to get up and walk as much as I could. The nurse also gave me a little plastic breathing gauge thing that I was supposed to use ten times an hour, to help expand my lungs and make me cough up any phlegm in my lungs. I didn't really have any gas pain that day, but it did really hurt to breath deep and cough. The nurse gave me that shot in the stomach that was supposed to really sting, but I honestly never felt it...she did it close to one of the incisions, so maybe that helped. I also got to have ice chips and eventually a teeny bit of broth.:thumbup:

By that evening I was sitting in a chair instead of the bed, and my surgeon popped in right as I was going to take a walk in the hall. He was very happy i was doing so well, so he said I could go home if I wanted to. I did, but it took forever for the nurse to get my discharge papers together. So I didn't get to leave until about ten o'clock that night, but it was nice to go home and sleep in my own bed.

So that's my story...not too exciting, but a really great experience in terms of surgery!

I was banded by Dr. Wilkenfeld on May 19th, 2009.

I worked the previous night, 7p-7a, and left work at 0430 after turning over my patients to the charge nurse. I ran home, took a shower to get the hospital buggies off me, and got ready for the ride to Houston. Good thing I knew where I was going. I drove, hubby snoozed.

We found a good parking spot and in we went. I was greeted by a wonderful nurse with a great sense of humour. He only took one stick to get my IV in. That's a big plus as I have sucky veins. I've had as many as 12 sticks at one visit to try and start and IV and two of those were in my feet. Just another one of the joys of me...

I'm laying here in this little room and the woman behind the curtain next to me won't stop whining... I'm hungry, my back hurts, why am I waiting so long and (wailing) I'm hungry! Geebus, lady, can't wait till they get you into surgery and put you to sleep... I'm kinda cranky myself and I was at WORK all last night. They came and got her pretty soon after.

Then anesthesia came to see me and started giving me the fentanyl. Boy, did it burn. I think the tip of the catheter was near a valve. He diluted several times and that eased the sting. After that, the meds kicked in and I didn't care about it burning.

Then Dr. Wilkenfeld stopped by and said hello. Kind of amused me to see someone wearing a brown leather belt with surgical scrubs, but whatever.

I got wheeled into surgery and asked to inhale with the mask and the next thing I know I'm in recovery. And it's not terribly comfortable. I had gas stuck behind both shoulders and looked like was about to give birth! I was moved to step-down recovery pretty quickly. After I could drink and pee, they let me go home. Glad I had a pillow with me to put between me and the seat belts... OW!

After I got home, my best friend came over to check on me. She ran to the store and got broth stuff, sugar free popsicles and GasX strips and sugar free mint lifesavers... also helps with gas. My husband went in search of dulcolax suppositories, also good for getting gas out the bottom end.

Let me tell you, I have NEVER had that much pain after surgery. I would rather have had back surgery again, and that was also an outpatient procedure. I paced, I cried, Anything I could do. I only slept at about 10 minute intervals until late that night when I got a whole hour in. It was awful.

Things are better now. My only problem was a reaction to the Dermabond that made my skin feel like it was on fire. It had to go, or at least as much of it as I felt safe in taking off. My skin is still red around the incisions.

My follow up is tomorrow and hopefully things are progressing as they should. I return to work tomorrow night. I've been tolerating liquids, mushy foods and small pieces of reguar food chewed to smithereens before I swallow.

Here's wishing all of us luck and success on our journey.

Actually, my story includes my immediate post banding experience.

I was banded on May 27, 2009 by Dr. Hilario Juarez at St. Luke's Hospital in Phoenix. Things went very smoothly, from admission to pre-op prep to surgery. The hours after the surgery were the hardest. Perhaps because the doctor repaired a hiatal hernia during the surgery.

I remember being wheeled into the operationg room and thinking what an impressive place. Within 10 seconds of being put on the operating table I was out cold. I woke up the recovery room and asked where I was at. Someone said the recovery room and I was out cold again.

I came to in my hospital room with family nearby. I asked if my sister was able to get ahold of my girlfriend and update her. She said yes, and I passed out again until about 10:30 p.m.

My vitals were monitored often during the night so someone was constantly waking me up to put in a new anti-biotic on the IV or to take my blood pressure and test my blood surgar.

Finally, by 10:30, I was in pain, not a lot, but it was pain, from the incision where the port was installed. Getting up was difficult at best.

Finally, around 4 a.m. in the morning, one of the night nurses came in and told me to get up and start walking. That actually felt good and I made several trips around the floor.

My medications were cut into small pieces and I was told to take one at a time, wait 3 or 4 minutes, then take another one. That amounted to a long and tedious time to take my meds.

I was discharged by mid-afternoon.

It is now Saturday evening, about 7 pm. I am at home and the cat does not understand why standing on the port is not allowed. Ouch! My girlfriend helped stock up on healthy liquids at Trader Joe's after she picked me up at the airport in Albuquerque.

I had Cream of Wheat (very liquidy with soy milk) for Breakfast. I ate slowly and realized when I was full and had to stop. The discharge instructions said to take two tums daily, so I took the tums and the gas gone down a bit. Had a bowl of cream of Tomato Soup for dinner. Beats the splash of apple juice at the hospital.

So, all in all, making adjustments to how I eat, and I am feeling better each day.

John

Starting weight of 303, BMI of 43.

I got my band yesterday at 0815 (or somewhere around that time). No clocks in any of the rooms, so really not sure.

I arrived to the hospital on the edge of late. They whisked me straight back to the prep area. I had a super chatty nurse, Shannon, who kept my mind occupied with trivial things (blessing in disguise I'm sure). The doctor came in for about 1 minute, read my chart and disappeared. Shannon set the IV (painless) and gave me the heparin shot in the tummy (also painless). She also brought in a huge syringe of antibiotic. I told her she MUST be joking if she thought she was going to give it as an injection. Ahh.. it goes in the IV - not so bad after all. Next comes the anesthesiologist, Dr. Oh. He told me all the things he has to tell me then changed topic to my rapidly peeling tan. So far, so good. Into the operating room we go. They lift me (YIKES) and move me to the other table, strap my left arm down, and I'm out.

Wake up in recovery. First question - was it done laporascopically??? Answer, yes. Second - it hurts, and I want to cry for unknown reasons. Nope, don't want hubby back there yet. Drugs for pain, then I'm ready for hubby. Get me dressed and out the door! Loaded into car, and away we go. It's a 2 hour drive home. For unknown reasons, the hub decides to take the longer more scenic, more mountainous and curvy route. Excuse me hon, but did you hear them discussing the nausea that may come? I didn't say a word and just kept my head down and my eyes closed. Ok, whatever the reason for the leisurely drive home, we finally make it home. Super sore throat, sore tummy, bad headache, but I survived!

Today, sore throat is finally gone. I slept on my side by firmly wedging pillows in behind and in front of me.

Good luck to those that are preparing for a future band!:wub:

I had my surgery on Tuesday, June 2, 2009. I am home now on my second day post op. I am still in a lot of pain. I did not know that I would be this uncomfortable, because I never had surgery of any kind before. I have over 200 pounds to lose. I feel confident that I made the right decsion and I am already seeing results from the pre-surgery diet that I was on and the fact that i know that I am not going to gain thta weight back. I'm nervous about starting full liquids. I have not tried them yet today. I can start, but I am still sipping ice.

had surgery on June 1. Can't tell you much, don't remember much...lol. The best thing was that surgeon has a procedure of sucking as much of the expansion gas back out so I had none of the gas pain. Don't remember the operating room, don't remember waking up until they were moving me to a regular bed and asked me if I could move myself..oh, yeah, right..two shots of oxycodone the first day and that was about it. Loved having the overnight stay which was unexpected. They threw that one at me right before the put the happy drugs in the IV. My response was fine, but somebody is driving me home. I didn't have a ride back for the next day. Guess they figured it all out. I slept most of the night the first night and most of the next day once I got home by medical transport.

Trisha

Ok I finally have time to post this. It’s a book so kudos if you make it through! I read so many stories and drilled my best friend (who got the band years ago and has lost almost 170lbs) with questions so I would know what to expect. Unfortunately things did not go as well as I had hoped, but, I am definitely the exception, not the rule.

I was scheduled for surgery on Monday May 4th. I was excited and terrified at the same time. The week before my sister was critically injured during a routine medical procedure and she was still in intensive care, so I was afraid to have the procedure done since my family didn't need another person to worry about. However, my beautiful sweet sister had been one of my biggest supporters throughout the process I knew she would want me to get it done. I went for my pre-op appt on the Friday before and they told me it would be easy outpatient surgery. They would get me up and into a recliner as soon as possible, and once I peed and sipped some Water I could go home. I knew I had some trouble with anesthesia, but I was usually able to get over it after a couple hours. And my best Friend had told me that when she woke up from her surgery she kept asking the nurse if they put the band in because she couldn't feel anything.

So we ( me hubby and son) were up at 5:30 to be ready to get to the hospital by 7:30 for my 9:30 surgery. I was scared, but insisted I drive, as I love to drive my car, it relaxes me. I got checked at admin quickly and they had me go to the pre op waiting room. My Dad and Step Mom and my uncle arrived then. I was still scared, but playing with my son, who is just a year old, helped me calm down a lot. My Dad asked me if I was scared I said yes terrified, but I had to do this because I didn't want my son to be ten years old and having to wait on me because I am to heavy to walk or take care of him. The nurse came to get me and I got really nervous. Honestly, I was the most afraid of the IV. I am a hard draw, and they never believe me when I tell them which vein to use, they poke me 8 times then go to the vein I told them to originally. This nurse was great though and went directly to the vein I told her too. So one poke, and the IV was in. So I got my nausea patch and drank the stuff for the after nausea. And then they let my family in to wait with me. That helped me calm down too. And as quick as that, it was 9:30, my surgeon Dr Chae came in and met my family and asked me if I had any questions. I didn’t, I had met with him twice before and knew what to expect. So then I talked to the anesthesiologist about how I feel like I’m drowning when I wake up he said that may happen again, but they would take care of me. Then my family left and they gave me the happy shot, I remember I liked that shot a lot, and I noticed my vision got cloudy, but who cares, I was happy! Then I was told to scoot onto the other table, and they put a mask over my face, I remember the anesthesiologist said “Grandee you are going to feel short of breathe, then you’ll go to sleep” Sure enough I felt that then went to sleep.

I remember when I woke up clearly, as I woke up to myself saying “ow ow ow ow ow….” Over and over. I was in pain. Severe pain. Now let me say I have a pretty good pain tolerance. I had a c-section and it was a piece of cake. Broke my ankle 3 times and never took more than a Tylenol, but this HURT! The nurse kept saying she would get me something for pain, and as soon as she put it in my IV I was out again. I was in and out for the next two hours. The nurse kept asking me to take slow deep breathes as my o2 levels were dropping. I tried but I felt like I was drowning. And I was still in severe pain, chest pain, not the gas shoulder type pain, but Chest pain, like all my ribs were broken. Next thing I know I’m in my room, and my aunt is asking me how I am, I can barely breathe, and I’m to stoned to tell her. So a whole herd of my relatives were there and my hubby and son.

So apparently I had some problems with my lungs collapsing. And as long as I had the morphine pump thing, I was fine, but when that wore off, WOW. Later the nurse got me up to pee and walk, since I also had the wonderful gassy shoulder pain. I was so dizzy though walking was not good. So back in bed I went. I had an awesome Suite type room, it was huge and I was all alone, other than my best friend who spent the night there with me since hubby had to take the baby home. Next day the took the pump away and kept giving me pills that did nothing. I walked and walked, but the pain was still unbearable. And my oxygen levels still dropped if I went to the bathroom or anything. So back on the pump I went and ended up staying a second night. I was able to handle a little broth and some popsicles and ice chips. And I kept walking, finally on the third day the Dr offered me a fentanol (sp?) patch. I was sure that would knock me out completely. Then they gave me 2 oxycodone and that helped some. Enough that later that afternoon I got to go home.

The next day I wished myself dead repeatedly, could only get 6 oz of water and a Jello cup through the whole day. But it slowly got better. I still have a lot of chest pain and some bad swelling under my port site, but other than that I’m getting by. I’m down 21 lbs and would do it all over again if needed. For those of you that have complications keep telling youself it’s all worth it! :unsure:

One thing I have to say is that if you are in colorado or clost to, Dr Chae and Skyridge Hospital are awesome, the nurses were awesome, and everyone there was great!

weight.png

I was just banded this week. I arrived at the hospital at 8 a.m. for a 10:30 procedure. I was glad I had read some of the stories on this site prior to my surgery date. It helped prepare for what was to come. Overall everyone was very nice and the procedure went well. I think I panicked a little when I was in the OR and they administered the anesthesia. I remember thinking I can't breath....somethings wrong. I think I tried to reach for the mask on my face when a nurse who was standing beside me took my hand. This instantly calmed me and I held on tight. Next thing I know I'm in recovery. I immediately began moving my legs and deep breathing because I heard this helps recovery speed along. When I was brought back to my room I was exhausted. I asked the nurse if it was better to nap or to try and fight sleep. She suggested I take a nap. I think I slept for about an hour and I felt alot better when I woke up. I did not notice any immediate pain in the stomach area. The pain that bothered me was in my left shoulder and across the top of my back and neck. I was told this is from the gas and anesthesia. Anyway it is now 3 days post op. The shoulder pain was unbearable yesterday but is getting better. Today I went for a walk for 30 mins. and I am eating pureed. Everything is staying down and I am not having any reflux or vomiting. I am glad I took time off of work. It is an adjustment getting in food and fluids and my body is not ready for my regular daily routine.

Had mine June 1st, after 4 days of clear liquids-which was tough. The surgery was fine. That afternoon, I was instructed to walk--which I did, and was hunched over in pain. I had a "pain pump", but when I used it I got nausiated--so I did my "laps" in lots of pain. That night I told the nurse--and she gave me a shot of anti-nausea meds. That helped that night and the next day. By the time of my discharge, I lead the floor in laps!!--trying to do it right (we kept track--kind of motivator etc). More painful than I expected--mostly at the receptor. My Doc requires that I continue on clears for 2 weeks after surgery--very tough. low low enrgy, low low concentration and memory. Feel anxious, irriatable, and uncomfortable 95% of the time. When I drink liquids, half of the time it irritates my gut--especially if it is Protein and or juice. I have lost 15 pounds since 4 days before my surgery (total of 9 days).--Not the healthy way.

I see my Doc on tues for my first post op visit. Then at least I get to start Vitamins etc. But then still another week with clears?

It is tough. I guess in September I will be better off.

Edited by baycoastal

Hi, this is my first visit to Lapbandtalk. I had my surgery yesterday on Friday May 23 also. At the hospital I felt horrible gas pains, which I didn't expect would be so painful, but by night time after gas X and meds, i was feeling much better. After reading the previous threads I realized that whew, my doctor/nurse did not mess around with getting me out of there. I couldn't even see my hand infront of my face because the anestisia was still in my system and they were already trying to get me to blow into a tube deal and got me dressed right away and sent me straight off the bed to the restroom and then straight to get an x-ray. i know that my doctor is one of the best, so i didn't even question it, but at the time i really felt like i need a little more down time to get adjusted. all in all, i am glad that at least i was able to get home at a decent hour.

Hi There, This is my first visit here too. I got my lapband done on Friday, June 5th. 2009. You know I am from TX too and I was suprised that they getcha in and out of there as fast as they can! And then to read others stories of staying all day into the night sleeping/resting...? What and why were we treated so different? I had my surgery in Hurst. How about you? I have over 110 pds. to loose and I am grateful that I was able to have this done. However, I had no idea of how painful it would be. I have had 2 c-sections and 2 other surgeries and never suffered like this. I have incredible pain in my shoulder, under my left breast, and pain in my belly. I am also running a low grade fever of 100.2 at night. This is day three and I am trying to stay as grateful and positive as possible. Some of the symptoms I mentioned have gotten better but new ones have popped up. Like when I go from sitting/laying down to standing I feel like throwing up. I have had nothing to eat but Clear Liquids since Thursday. Have you experienced any of this? Take care. Kris :thumbup:

My surgery was scheduled for 7:30 a.m. on June 4th, so I had to arrive at 5:30... Finally got to the surgical pre/post patient treatment area. Pee'd etc. and then the Anesthesiologist came to set up my IV, and then he gave me a calming drug as they wheeled me in to the OR. I came to, getting a nebulizer treatment, apparently I started wheezing during the procedure... they were telling me "you are banded now", but I asked again, and they said "YES, and you are doing Great!"

I finally got up to the ward for post-surgical patients. They were giving me shots of Insulin... once when they tested my blood sugar and it was over 200, I was upset a little, and asked if they were giving me glucose!!! They said of course not. The surgeon cleared that up the next day when he asked about my blood sugars, and I told him about the bizarre spike, considering I was NOT eating, and he told me they gave me steroids in the OR, must have been to treat the asthma attack during the procedure. That explained THAT mystery. Anyway, the first afternoon, I got up to pee, finally (when I told a nurse that was my first time since 6 a.m. she said, yeah, you pee'd you just did not know it!!!) and went back to bed. When I got up to go again, I felt MUCH better up, so I asked them to take me for a walk, so we did a couple of walks after my trips to the bathroom. I was very very thirsty, so those mouth swabs came in handy. I did start to feel pre-nausea feelings and had my visitor let the nurse know, they brought anti-nausea for my IV, but I ended up having dry heaves anyway, wow, that was pretty miserable. A little more nausea came later, but did not develop into heaves like the first wave did, and it passed. I have had no issues with it since.

I got NO sleep in the hospital that night, NONE.

The next morning, they took me for my upper GI at 8:30, and it was all clear. I want back to my room, and they let me stay up, so I sat, and walked around, and never went back to bed until I was home in my own bed, later that night... so anyway, finally when the radiologists, surgeons, etc consulted, they brought me a tray of liquids. Let me tell you, that warm 8 oz of chicken broth was the most fantastic thing I have ever had!!! I was not hungry, but thirsty, and probably needed something warm and filling in my tummy. I had no issues with gas or pain, and only used the pain med button on my IV when i was going to move around, or if it had been a long time between using it, to prevent any pain. I have had no issues with pain!!! I felt some burning around where the port turned out to be located, but nothing since I was in the hospital still.

A shift change for the nursing staff went through in the evening, and I was dressed and ready to go when they cleared me to leave after tolerating stage 2 liquids (protein drink with milk) and it was kind of a hassle to have to get permission, and a lactaid sent up from the pharmacy so I could have the Carnation pouch with lactaid milk, since no one has the answer to whether the lactaid milk has active lactase, and can neutralize the lactose in the powdered milk they add to the Carnation. puh

Anyhow, the new shift of nurses thought I was a visitor, since I was visiting with my roommate while waiting to leave!!! They said I looked great, and did not even look like I had surgery the day before!!!

If anything, getting up and moving around probably does more good than anything.

Also, for two days before the surgery, I only ate the fruit part of my prescribed diet, melon, and pineapple, and the day before, only pineapple, and some Carnations late in the day, with lactose free milk and lactaid, of course, and I think that may be why I did not have gas. I decided not to have the meat with salad part of my prescribed pre-op diet, since lettuce, and cucumber, can cause gas. I wanted to rule out all sources of gas.

My surgery day was June 4th, 2009, but it was actually my third surgery---my second port replacement. Has anyone else had problems with their ports?

I think my surgery went well, but my surgeon (who was finally doing the third surgery for no charge) NE"VE"R came back to check on me after surgery. In fact, he left his outpatient facility and never returned...the nurse told me he went to lunch, then he was "in a meeting"...then she told me I could leave WITH NO DISCHARGE INSTRUCTIONS.

needless to say I'm trying to stay positive through this ordeal, but after regaining all the weight I had originally lost, It is hard!

thank you for your support.:grouphug: