Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TLBC Clinic- Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi All:

Just checking in.

I am now at 16 weeks. As of last Friday, I am at a 21.2 lbs loss since banding day. :cool2:

I am happy with my 1 lb average loss per week. :)

I'm still eating only 1 cup (mostly protein) per sitting every 3-4 hours whether I am hungry or not. I find that I am rarely hungry.

I wish I could have done this well without the $18,000 band. I don't notice any restriction even with a 3cc fill. It is the fear of stretching out my pouch, wasting the $18,000 & the consistant loss, that are keeping me on track this long.

How are the rest of you doing? :sad:

Edited by *Love*
typo

Hi Love;

I am doing OK.. I really need another fill as I find myself grazing for food.. usually bad food :) I have 4 year old twins, so snack foods are all too easy to find in my house...

I have lost weight, but I still want to feel more in control.. Right now i have 5cc in my band.. I have alot of first bite syndrome and have pain, but it subsides and I can eat. I am going to do a fill maybe tomorrow or Friday (i do remote fills at my work)

Good to hear from you and congrats on the loss!

I really need another fill as I find myself grazing for food.. usually bad food :) I have 4 year old twins, so snack foods are all too easy to find in my house...

I find I can only keep away from those treats is if no one eats them in front of me, and better yet, not have them in the house at all.

Can you get rid of those troublesome Snacks & replace them with healthier options? Maybe fruit, applesauce, Peanut Butter, almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, hard boiled eggs etc...

I have lots of healthy Snacks too, but for school lunches I have to pack stuff that doesn't have nut etc.. So there are granola bars, oatmeal cookies.. Those are temptation enough..lol

So there are granola bars, oatmeal Cookies.. Those are temptation enough..lol

Those are not bad choices as long as you don't eat more than one per day. I just buy the healthiest versions you can.

(low in fat & sugar, with Protein if possible) or make your own so you know what's in them.

Congratulations love on your weight loss. Steady as she goes is a great way. You obviously are eating the correct amount, thus no feeling of restriction. If you were overeating you would feel pain. Trust me the experience is not a nice thing to go through.

Goober grazing is my archilles heal. The band won't help grazers other than prevent the overeating at any one given time. Are your children old enough to make their own lunches? My DH loves potato chips and cheezies. We have a cupboard only he can reach into where we store them. Yes I have found a way to get up there but the effort is so great that I lose interest. LOL Another hint I have found. Make lunches just after you have eaten and have a full pouch.

was everyone satisfied with TLBC? I am looking into going there. I am a northerner and its about a 9 hr drive to get to Toronto so I'm worried if I have any complications that I have to make that drive to get any help. Anyone else live far from Toronto? I have been talking to Dorothy from TLBC and she seems super!

I've been very, very happy with my experience at TLBC.

However, I live nearby and just 5 minutes from my office.

Hi: Dr. Yau is a very reputable surgeon that I recommend highly. The TLBC has good support for people from the Toronto area but their PR needs some work for long distance patients. I am from BC and initially, as I was so far away, I felt alone and stranded with no one to help me. Every tweak felt like an emergency. Now that I have the band for almost two years, I am more relaxed about it. I joined a support group out here started by another bandster. At first there was only 3 of us now we are up to 14 +. Aftercare is so very important. Fills and defills are only a small part of the process. Initially you may need reassurance concerning the band fairly frequently. TLBC has been working hard to improve and their Slimband website is a prime example. You are doing the right thing by checking out the clinic on the web, but you are most likely to get a better perspective by attending a group that is sponsored by the TLBC. By attending the meeting, you will get a variety of opinions.

For what it is worth, I would select TLBC or the SWLC which to me has great support groups. Hope this helps. ;)

was everyone satisfied with TLBC? I am looking into going there. I am a northerner and its about a 9 hr drive to get to Toronto so I'm worried if I have any complications that I have to make that drive to get any help. Anyone else live far from Toronto? I have been talking to Dorothy from TLBC and she seems super!

Edited by Doddie63
typo

Hi, I live 8/9 hours north from Toronto and my Dr here does all my fills and when he is away the nurse practitioner does my fills. I have been very lucky and I have not been charged for any fills. Most Dr's can handle problem,but I stayed in T.O for 1 week before coming north. Didn't have any problems and have not lost any weight since May??? Send me PM if you want more info.

Mame

I have trouble getting anything down in the morning and after my coffee I can eat anything I have 6cc in a 10cc band? Not sure what the problem is, hoping another fill will do the trick. Very disappointed with the whole process. Some days I feel like I should have just flushed a big chunk of my savings you know where.

Chubba, I am sure you have read on the website many have severe restriction in the morning. Hopefully some will post solutions. I have severe restriction at dinner time. I can only get down 4 oz max.

I would suggest you look carefully at how you are ingesting your calories. For instance, are you using a bariatric Protein Drink in the morning. Then solid Protein every 3 - 4 hours. Contact your clinic and ask to speak to a nutrionist and have her/him look over what you are eating and the times. Try tracking for a week to get a good picture what is happening then seek the help.

I suspect, you are just not getting enough hard protein such as nuts, chicken, fish etc. in a timely fashion.

I can't preach exercise, because I have never been conisistant with it. Mentally, it is good for me as well as health wise with blood pressure, diabetes etc. but as for actual calorie use it is pretty small amount.

I am a turtle and loose only 1/4 to 1/2 lb per week consistantly. This week is the first week I have stayed the same but because I track I was able to see that my average calorie intake has increased from 1400 to 1800. Try tracking it is very revealing what you think you have eaten and what you actually have eaten.

As for fill see your fill nurse for advice. I find keeping a loose fill is more beneficial for me because tight fills encourage me to eat "easy" food.< /p>

Keep in touch with me by e mail if you wish. I am no nutritonist, but I am a good "listener".

Hello all I have just joined this forum. I have enjoyed reading all your blogs for the past several weeks before my surgery. I was just banded on Thurs 10/23 at TLBC with Dr. Yau so far all is going great EXCEPT for this pain I have in my left shoulder. It’s absolutely debilitating and the meds don't relieve it. I have tried walking and anti gas tablets does anyone have any other advise or experienced anything similar. Please tell me this will go away.