Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TLBC Clinic- Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Until the clinic (now slimband, I think) starts giving some explanations as to what is happening in that organization, I truly cannot give my reference to anyone thinking of banding. I gave a reference to a lady in Vancouver and she has had nothing but difficulty which put me in a pretty embarrasing position. Dr. Yau in my opinion is still the surgeon I would recommend, but it appears the supporting management are letting him down.

What a blow! Jill was the only one at TLBC that I have dealt with that I could talk to! And I have been waiting over a week to hear back from her. I guess now I know why I haven't.

That is a real shame as she was a really great representative for them, as they are growing so quickly that they don't seem to be coping as well with after care.

I guess I'll be calling the clinic tomorrow to find out where I stand now that Jill has left.

Mary

What a blow! Jill was the only one at TLBC that I have dealt with that I could talk to! And I have been waiting over a week to hear back from her. I guess now I know why I haven't.

That is a real shame as she was a really great representative for them, as they are growing so quickly that they don't seem to be coping as well with after care.

I guess I'll be calling the clinic tomorrow to find out where I stand now that Jill has left.

Mary

please post any news you get for the rest of us.

I called TLBC (or slimband as they are calling themselves now) and I asked to speak to Jill. The girl on the phone went quiet and then said "she doesn't work here any longer". I said "I hope she is okay", again the total quiet and no comment! It's like she died and they don't want to say anything.

I really liked Jill and I hope that she left for her own reasons and not because she was in any way pushed.

I spoke to the new nutritionist Jody Hill and she also wouldn't say anything about whether Jill was all right or not (I know, none of my business, but you would think they'd have agreed on something to say about a well-loved member of their staff).

I explained that Jill was in the process of referring me to the hospital at Yonge and Elginton for a metabolic rate and Jody had no clue who that would be and suggested first that I'd have to pay for this (Jill had said that it is covered by OHIP) and then suggested that I see a naturapath! I told her that one of the ways a friend convinced me to spend $16,000 on this op was that I had likely spent more than that over the years on various alternative doctors that hadn't helped anything but to make my wallet thinner! So I am not going that route ever again. She asked that I give her some time and she'll get back to me.

I also asked her about the rumour about the 3 year limit and she assured me that patients that had their operations when TLBC promised "Life time" care, would be still covered. I understand that they don't want people in and out after three years and I also want to have this weight off in under two, but if in four years I have to have a de-fill for a medical reason etc, I was promised it was covered. Apparently it still is.

So I am very sad to hear about Jill and once again, their bizarre way of dealing with things. I'll let you know if I get any help from Jody. I have to agree with you dodie, I think Dr Yau is first rate but his clinic is a bit funny.

Mary

Marivan: I sure hope they live up to their committment. I have never abused the fills due to the long distance I am from the clinic. But I would like to have coverage if my band needs replacing or removed. I shudder for the individuals that only get 3 years coverage. Who covers the cost of a band replacement? Do they have to pay the $16 K again? I already had my port adjusted free and there is very little information out about when and if a replacement is required in ones lifetime. I am 65, so it is not too important, but what if you are in the 20 or 30's. When lifetime was guranteed, I never thought of the future but now if I were to do this again, I would insist on a contract for life that would replace the band free.

As for Jill, with her qualifications she will be a breeze in for any position she likes. She also has/had her own business as she is not only a nutritionist but also a trained chef. I wish her well and "slimaband" has screwed up big time by loosing her. Any business world I was in before retirement made every effort to entice good employees to remain on staff.

I'm now self-employed because the day of a company treating their employees fairly is pretty rare. That's why those companies get their names on those lists of the 10 best companies to work for! They still know how to treat their employees.

I don't know what their position is for future replacements for the newer patients, but it was said to us that we had follow-up for life and I'm counting on them being there for me.

Mary

Hi Mary and Doddie;

Geez I've been reading about Jill being gone and it isindeed sad. I sent a test email... and I've had NO reply... not even... "she no longer works here"...

They could at least say something like " she's gone on to pursue other opportunities" or something pleasant sounding. She deserves that!

I am with you two, when I had very positive dealings with Jill. When I had my complication... she WAS THE ONE who steered me to the right person to get some action...

I wonder how we could contact her???

JILL, IF YOU ARE OUT THERE LURKING, send us a P.M. so we know YOu're o.k.

:)

I'm really dissapointed with TLBC. I had Dorothy who was my consultant and I found her kinda frustrating to deal with. Then I later found out she was no longer working there. They wouldnt tell me why she was gone either. Its kinda suspicious that Jill is no longer there as well.

TLBC made a bunch of promises to me and then tried to recant on them. they also told me they HAVE a fill nurse in Sudbury closer to me than Toronto so I asked for the name and info about who and where they are and now I'm being told they dont have one established yet !! So they lied to me again and I am scared as hell about my future dealings with them. If I would have known about all this B.S I would have looked into the Mississauga clinic instead

They are going to find that they are losing patients if they don't smarten up, that's for sure. It's the strange way that once someone is gone, their names are never mentioned again that is bizarre.

I hope you get a fill person in Sudbury soon. I find it a hassle and I'm only in Lindsay (near Peterborough), so it would be a really full day or two day's trip for you.

Let's hope that they take note of people's concerns and make some positive changes.

Mary

I wish her well and "slimaband" has screwed up big time by loosing her. Any business world I was in before retirement made every effort to entice good employees to remain on staff.

Doddie,

How do you know that she was a valued employee to them? Perhaps you loved her but they could have had problems that are none of our business as patients. And I agree that most businesses will do anything to keep good employees and perhaps this is not the case here. When my favourite personal banker left, it was none of my business where he went either and I was owed no explanation. When my favourite nail technician left, it wasn't any of my business either. I appreciate you had a good relationship with her but if she left on her own then it would have been her duty to tell her patients she was leaving and if she was walked out the door then of course nobody will ever tell you why? Just another way to look at this.

Jane

Hi eveyone, been reading lots on this site and learning a lot. I've made the decision - I am going for the surgery! Now I just have to decide where and when.

Previously, there had been almost nothing but positives about TLBC/Slimband but now I'm starting to have second throughts. I really like that it is so conveniently located to me and they do seem to promise you all sorts of after care support - but they can "say" anything right?

So I guess I'm asking - what have you received? Particularly those who live in/near the clinic? What services have you used or been able to access? Other than fills, what do they do for you after the surgery? Are the support groups or other follow ups?

Thanks everyone and congrats on all your progress - I look forward to beginning my own journy soon!

I was banded a year and a half ago at TLBC and have been extremely happy with everything. Dr. Yau is highly experienced and very skilled at this procedure. Nancy's fills are perfection. Quick, easy and painless. The clinic itself is pristine.

I believe that if you have been reading negative comments, it is likely because a great many people here on this board were banded there, and we can all be nit-picky at times about small matters - stuff about their rebranding, the website, personnel, etc. It is a business afterall. Please don't let this deter you from a first rate clinic.

My office is about 5 minutes from the clinic and I can't tell you how convenient it is for me to sneak in for a quick fill or a chat.

When I read about the experiences that people have with other surgeons and clinics (specifically excluding SWLC which is also very good), I feel grateful that TLBC was available to me.

I've been very happy with the surgery I had at TLBC (I think Dr Yau is first rate) and the follow up. If it is convenient to you, that may be a big consideration. It's helpful if you need an emergency de-fill or want to join in their boot camps etc. I checked our Dr Yau as well, and he is a very experienced bariatric surgeon, not just in lap band. Don't expect a relationship with him though, I met him for five minutes before going to the operating room as he explained a few things and haven't seen him since.(nor did I expect to) But he is available should you have an emergency.

I just want to say to Jane, that I don't recall Doddie ever saying she felt she needed an explanation from TLBC why Jill had gone. We are lamenting that she has left, and TLBC does themselves no favours by not having some sort of cheerful thing to say if you happen to ask for a member of staff that is no longer there. It isn't exactly like your bank teller, in that our relationship with our fill nurse or nutritionist (especially if they've been a big help) is quite personal. So if, in my case, you are in the middle of her arranging something and she's gone and no one knows what you were arranging, then it is entirely different.

It was just weird that I didn't know she was gone, I called and the pause on the other end of the line was quite uncomfortable. I didn't ask why she left, nor do I expect an explanation, but they have to know that some people will miss her and hope that she is well.

Mary

My comment to Doddie was more about her comment that TLBC screwed up by losing her and not trying harder to keep her. The part about being owed an explanation was simply my own input and not as a reply to her. My relationship with my financial planner is as important as my relationship with my nutritionist is so I think it was a very good comparison. One is managing my investments and the other is managing my diet.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that if Jill left on her own, she would have definitely let her patients know she was leaving. It's pretty evident to me that her leaving was not her choice and it was most likely a business decision that was well warranted even if the patients don't like it.

Jane

Edited by jane.c

Jane, I hear you and agree somewhat with what you are saying but I disagree on the comment "none of my business". Sorry but in fact it is. I paid for aftercare and I should have been advised that Jill had left and been introduced to the new person. I was not instead it was kept quiet. I have had nothing but problems communicating with the staff since day one. Jill and the head nurse were the only ones that responded in a timely manner with solutions. I also will say that on Jill's first day while waiting for the Manager took the time to go over my menu and explain to me what I could do better. It also was Jill who set up the remote boot camp. No one else made any attempt.

I also recommended the clinic to a friend. Unfortunately she too has had nothing but problems with the staff not communicating.

I also add that after 40 years of business and hiring over 200 people, I think I can claim I have the experience to know a good employee when I see one.

Again I hear what you are saying that a business is not required to give explanations, but most successful business will introduce the new employee by way of news releases. Silence only creates a cover up scenario.

Oh, I did communicate with Jill (thanks to someone sending me her e mail address). All the clinic had to say was Jill had moved on and this "person" is replacing her. Nothing more need being said.

My comment to Doddie was more about her comment that TLBC screwed up by losing her and not trying harder to keep her. The part about being owed an explanation was simply my own input and not as a reply to her. My relationship with my financial planner is as important as my relationship with my nutritionist is so I think it was a very good comparison. One is managing my investments and the other is managing my diet.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that if Jill left on her own, she would have definitely let her patients know she was leaving. It's pretty evident to me that her leaving was not her choice and it was most likely a business decision that was well warranted even if the patients don't like it.

Jane

Edited by Doddie63
one last thought