Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which celebrity do YOU think needs the Lap Band?

Okay read #92 through #95 and Celebs are free for us to rant and rave about because they're being paid to look as they do and act as they do and we're basically the ones paying them and we're in Rants and Raves so that's what we do, plus when you're pms'ng we need this instead of ice cream!

I was sad when I saw Queen Latifa (sp) going down the "commercial diet route", I liked having her as she was as a plus size woman roll model. That's just my personal opinion but when I see these women do this, especially the ones that don't need the money or exposure like Queen L. it bums me out. Plus what are the odds of them putting it back on again and yo yoing which is the worse thing you can do to your body. Whether they like it or not they're roll models for a lot of impressionable people.

I think one of the best roll models is Elle (not sure if I spelled her name correctly) but she is that blond plus size model. I think I'm rambling again but she actually speaks out on the aspects of being healthy and not pencil thin and being a good roll model to young girls who really need them at this point in our world! brandyII (not a spokeswoman but does tend to play one on forums at times)

Hah, that's okay. It's sounds like. "Nik-kick-e"

It's just a nickname, not my real name lol.

Ohh I didnt know about the suntan lotion.

Yea, I'm darker then my dad too.

They don't like the beach? That's kinda good I guess, hah.

And for some reason on my previous post I put /indian?

She's not indian. Shes german.

Lol :lol:

I have to take my daughter to the bariatric surgeon in a sec but how do you mix up Indian and German? Did I spell bariatric wrong????

Just curious:shades_smile: I'm in my cool shades now brandyII

Niki,

I'm sticking with that so don't think me a control freak but I'll screw it up all the time.

She's 19 and is on the five week pre-op liquid diet phase and I have to bring her once a week to get weighed and get her blood pressure taken and pick up the packs of Medifast. She lost 12 pounds her first week and this is a partial second week because I have to go out of town for a funeral tomorrow. She's not getting the lap band, she's getting the gastric bypass. Can't do what he mother did it would be copying! No but this is what she really wanted to do and she's over 18 so I letting her make her own decision. Anyway she's been pretty syched about it but doesn't like to go on forums even though I tell her they're nice she still won't. Well maybe she will one day.

Have a great day and I'll talk to you later gator, brandyII.:lol:

Niki,

I'm sticking with that so don't think me a control freak but I'll screw it up all the time.

She's 19 and is on the five week pre-op liquid diet phase and I have to bring her once a week to get weighed and get her blood pressure taken and pick up the packs of Medifast. She lost 12 pounds her first week and this is a partial second week because I have to go out of town for a funeral tomorrow. She's not getting the lap band, she's getting the gastric bypass. Can't do what he mother did it would be copying! No but this is what she really wanted to do and she's over 18 so I letting her make her own decision. Anyway she's been pretty syched about it but doesn't like to go on forums even though I tell her they're nice she still won't. Well maybe she will one day.

Have a great day and I'll talk to you later gator, brandyII.:blushing:

Wow, 5 week liquid diet? Yikes!

12 lbs her first week? thats awesome.

That's cool your letting her make her own decision. :lol:

Yea, she doesn't know what she's missing.

LBT forums are like, the awesomest thing ever.

[:

Okay read #92 through #95 and Celebs are free for us to rant and rave about because they're being paid to look as they do and act as they do and we're basically the ones paying them and we're in Rants and Raves so that's what we do, plus when you're pms'ng we need this instead of ice cream!

I was sad when I saw Queen Latifa (sp) going down the "commercial diet route", I liked having her as she was as a plus size woman roll model. That's just my personal opinion but when I see these women do this, especially the ones that don't need the money or exposure like Queen L. it bums me out. Plus what are the odds of them putting it back on again and yo yoing which is the worse thing you can do to your body. Whether they like it or not they're roll models for a lot of impressionable people.

I think one of the best roll models is Elle (not sure if I spelled her name correctly) but she is that blond plus size model. I think I'm rambling again but she actually speaks out on the aspects of being healthy and not pencil thin and being a good roll model to young girls who really need them at this point in our world! brandyII (not a spokeswoman but does tend to play one on forums at times)

I agree on the role model thing. I think Queen Latifah is gorgeous!! I appreciate her wanting to do something healthy for herself by losing weight. Of course, we don't know the whole story on a lot of these people either. We don't know their medical history and what risks they may have to deal with if they don't lose weight.

I think you are thinking of Emme!! She is amazing. She is one of my favorites! I wish we saw more of her and others like her.

What did you all think of the Dove campaign? I personally loved it. It got a lot of negative press. They did interviews with random men on the street (women too) and they really criticized the women on the billboard. They said they didn't want to look at all that fat, rolls and cellulite. The thing is, those women were all 'average'. Argh!

~C

Nikkiiii, (I lied I changed it again)

You're right and without people like you this forum would not be as awesome!!!

She's almost 20 and starting her 3rd year in college and it's been a tough last few years on the girl it's really our only choice at this time. As long as we have insurance coverage on her we're going to use it!

She lost a total of 19 pounds now for two weeks, she's really showing me something. As you can see after a few of my failures I'm down 2 whole pounds now yippee!!! She's much stronger and braver than I'll ever be! brandyII

I agree on the role model thing. I think Queen Latifah is gorgeous!! I appreciate her wanting to do something healthy for herself by losing weight. Of course, we don't know the whole story on a lot of these people either. We don't know their medical history and what risks they may have to deal with if they don't lose weight.

I think you are thinking of Emme!! She is amazing. She is one of my favorites! I wish we saw more of her and others like her.

What did you all think of the Dove campaign? I personally loved it. It got a lot of negative press. They did interviews with random men on the street (women too) and they really criticized the women on the billboard. They said they didn't want to look at all that fat, rolls and cellulite. The thing is, those women were all 'average'. Argh!

~C

Turler,

You're right. I got the impression that Queen L. was suffering from diabetes possibly.

You're also right about Emme, I guess I confused her with Elle McPherson? I think Emme might have cancer. I don't remember all the details but I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Now I'm not sure if I know of the same Dove campaign. I remember it was average women who were older. But not on billboards, just in ads. That reminds me of that show that Carson Kresley (sp) had about women accepting their bodies and at the end of the show he'd take a picture of them in just bra and panties or covered with something and put it up on a bill board but everyone was so positive on the streets. Could have been editing but still proves how much self hatred we have for our own bodies no matter what size we are really. :blushing: healthy self acceptance brandyII.

Brandy I think you're right, healthy self acceptance is what we're after, no matter what size. That's SELF acceptance, not necessarily public acceptance, because I dont know about "real" role models. Average women yes, we cant all look like supermodels and shouldnt feel we have to try to. But I have a problem with decidedly overweight people becoming our role models instead. I mean back to Queen L, she's really quite overweight (but I never said she wasnt gorgeous or sexy!). That's not healthy either. We dont want to be teaching young girls to try to look like emaciated catwalk models, but we cant go too far in the other direction and start saying that "big is the ONLY beautiful" when its just plain not the healthiest state to be in.

Its something that comes up all the time here and it disturbs me, which is why I responded harshly to a post way back in this thread about size 16 being too small for a Lap Band. I cant be bothered gong back to find the poster's name, she got the sh*ts about it, but it happens all the time. People complain about how they get discriminated against because they're fat and yet they turn around quick as a wink and make disparaging remarks and assumptions about thinness.

Like, since when should a thin woman not be a role model? Its not freaking unhealthy to be thin. Its unhealthy to be anorexic or bulimic, or jsut living obsessivly to stay thin, but last I checked, if someone was born thin and utterly gorgeous looking, they're just lucky, not sick, and they're not necessarily unworthy role models. Yet we descend on them like a pack of hyenas.

To go the complete opposite way and start saying that Queen L (for example) is the epitome of health, to me that's stupid. The Dove campaigns are trying to accomplish self accpetance for women, whatever their size and that's commendable, but in the one in Australia anyway, there's no thin women in it. Which is ridiculous as plenty of people are thin too.

I dont particularly respond to an advertising campaign including cellulite. I have to have the "fantasy" of the product I'm buying achieving miracles, lol. On a conscious level I know it wont, I know the pics are airbrushed etc. But why the heck would I buy something to make me look the way I already look?

Edited by Jachut

Only slightly off topic: Has anybody seen Carie Otis since she became a "plus size model" (which probably translates as weighing more than 80 lbs)? She looks fantastic, much better at a real size than at artificially-thin model size.

Brandy II - working nights, I see lots of late night TV and not too long ago I remember "Em" did have cancer. I think she's ok now, though.

plain,

Thanks, get some male input in here about women of size, I'm still reading Jachut's post....brandyII I'm not familiar with Carrie Otis so I'll have to look her up on the web. I saw Emme on one of those CNN type shows, I forget which one but she was talking about cancer and had lost her hair and it was at the growing back phase, but seriously Plain jump with your "male" perspective on this issue.