Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat people in movies

What I hate more than fat chicks being made fun of in movies is skinny chicks being told they are fat in movies. For instance, the girl in Devil Wears Prada. She was a size 8 but everybody kept telling her she was fat and needed to lose weight. By the end of the movie she could fit into a 4 or a 6 or whatever and suddenly she was accepted. Give me a fricking break! yeah, love the message that was sent to all the little girls out there.

I loved Bridget Jones Diary, but if you read the book she was considered "plump"... sorry, she wasn't fat in that movie. She was just a normal sized person.. maybe what 145? if that! Or that one lotion commercial to "get rid of fat dimples". At the end a girl who is roughly 115 pounds jumps in the air with this little patch on her leg that elliminates cellulite.. WTF??! she had no cellulite. Why not get a chubby girl who has a little. To me, these things tell young girls that if you are a size 8 then you are too fat or a size 10. Hell, a plus sized model is usually a 10 or 12.. WHAT?! Again, this gets the wrong point across.

When I was between the weight of 200-250 I was my most comfortable. Guys hit on me all the time.. I was super confident... I got my husband.... I flirted all the time... I had MUChO confidence. I got more picked on when I was 125 than I ever did at being plus sized. It wasn't until I started having major pain that I hated being fat. The back pain. Arthritis, etc. But, I could get to 200 right now and be very happy with that.

In a weird way I prefer myself heavier than super thin. I like being valuptiuous (sp) and have my goal weight as 200 lbs. Any lower the "girls" will just be pancakes! Now I'm sure my surgeon and my doc would probably find this too high but if at my age I feel good at that weight that's what my goal is. If it's harder on my body as I get older I may try to drop it a bit but unless I have total plastic surgery which I really don't want to put myself through or pay for I'm not going to be in Playboy at any weight. Even with airbrushing!:wub:

I couldn't be my own boss, I would have to watch myslef to hard, because I would keep catching myself slacking off. I would hate to have to fire myself and ruin a 26 year relationship...with myself.

Seriously, I wouldn't be good working at home where I have tv, and internet, and pajamas, and a cell phone. I am too easily distracted.

The worse part about working at home is there's always work and you can't escape it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wub: When you go to an office etc... you can:smile2:

Good point! In the Devil Wears Prada he looks at her, like wow! And then she beams and says, "Size 6!" And, when they're picking out clothes he pulls out a poncho because in an 8 she's sooo fat...

Steams me all the friggin time.

Exactly! that's what irritates me.. my husband said they were making fun of people in that line of work, but that one scene in particular made it "not funny".. it was serious. She made it serious when she said all that. They were clearly saying a size 8 and above is not pretty and that's not fine with me, especially when it was marketed for young teens.

Luluc- was that line from the movie? i think it is.. that one secretary lady says it I believe.. yeah! ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!

Luluc- was that line from the movie? i think it is.. that one secretary lady says it I believe.. yeah! ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!

yes the secretary (emily blunt) LOVED her in that movie,

another line - "you get to go to paris with all those clothes (she's in the hospital after getting hit by the car) and you eat CARBS"!!

I don't think it's all that different from ugly people or stupid people being made fun of...however, I don't think that's good either.

I'm not talking about sparing feelings, I'm talking about raising the dignity bar just a tad. How dignifying is it watch a fat girl in a cheerleader outfit wiggle around? That's why I cringe. Large panties - fine, but it's the idea that it puts in people's head.

I actually dated a guy (not for long) who asked if I wear granny panties. He mentioned, "like in Shallow Hal." Ugg.

That's what I don't like - when people think that's what fat people are like. The reason that they think that is because for the most part all you see of fat in movies/commercials is a joke.

As a fat person, I don't think being the butt of a joke ALL THE TIME is funny. Even blondes get a break.

What about us fat blondes? :thumbup:

What about us fat blondes? :thumbup:

Then you're really SOL - The upside is, you don't know that you're SOL.

Sorry...couldn't resist.

I didn't mind The Devil Wears Prada... never thought about it til this thread. I do have issues with Shallow Hal, and the one's where they wear fat suits however.

Okay, I'm going to say this and I know some of you will be upset. But, there really isn't anything wrong with Shallow Hal. It has a moral to the story. Hal is given a gift to see inner beauty instead of what's on the outside! After receiving this gift, Hal begins to see the inner beauty of a extemely overweight girl and loves her even with the weight.

Unfortunately the extra large panties ARE part of being fat. Are you telling me that none of you wear/wore "large" panties? I know how big mine were. At somepoint during this weight lose process you/me will have to STOP being the victim. We will never get past our food addictions if we constantly allow ourselves to be upset about others pointing out the truth about being overweight.

The comedy in the movie is at him loving the girl with his "tunnel" vision. Not caring what others think in the end. Yes, there is a sad part, but true; People can be amused with overweight people.

I can tell you this though. I really was never an unhappy "fat" person. I hold a very good job and am not overlooked for promotions and never have been. I have several friends, skinny and heavy. And I've never been treated like a "fat" person becasue I've never hated myself nor my weight. I've always been happy heavier as well as skinnier. Which leads me to one of my favorite quotes: "Attitudes are contagious. Is yours worth catching?"

I'll end on that and want to tell all of you. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! YOU ARE SMART! YOU ARE WORTH IT!

So, I think there is no need to get your panties in a twist (pun intended). :tt1:

Edited by StartinOver

Okay, I'm going to say this and I know some of you will be upset. But, there really isn't anything wrong with Shallow Hal. It has a moral to the story. Hal is given a gift to see inner beauty instead of what's on the outside! After receiving this gift, Hal begins to see the inner beauty of a extemely overweight girl and loves her even with the weight.

Unfortunately the extra large panties ARE part of being fat. Are you telling me that none of you wear/wore "large" panties? I know how big mine were. At somepoint during this weight lose process you/me will have to STOP being the victim. We will never get past our food addictions if we constantly allow ourselves to be upset about others pointing out the truth about being overweight.

The comedy in the movie is at him loving the girl with his "tunnel" vision. Not caring what others think in the end. Yes, there is a sad part, but true; People can be amused with overweight people.

I can tell you this though. I really was never an unhappy "fat" person. I hold a very good job and am not overlooked for promotions and never have been. I have several friends, skinny and heavy. And I've never been treated like a "fat" person becasue I've never hated myself nor my weight. I've always been happy heavier as well as skinnier. Which leads me to one of my favorite quotes: "Attitudes are contagious. Is yours worth catching?"

I'll end on that and want to tell all of you. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! YOU ARE SMART! YOU ARE WORTH IT!

So, I think there is no need to get your panties in a twist (pun intended). :welldoneclap:

I really enjoyed reading your post. And I quite enjoyed Shallow Hal.

StartingOver,

I think it's great that you have such confidence in yourself as a fat person and/or a thin person but a lot of us for whatever reason don't. We're trying to get past it but it's not easy as we all don't come from the same place as you. People are judged every day by their looks, size, color, whatever and if you have confidence in yourself it does make a big difference but doesn't necessarily wipe away all the injustices in the world that others still face. brandyII

Then you're really SOL - The upside is, you don't know that you're SOL.

Sorry...couldn't resist.

OUCH!!! Good shot!

My panties are large, but they're not "granny panties". I wear thongs and love them! Are they larger than "normal"? Yes, but so am I.

What I didn't like about Shallow Hall, and the same problem I have with the jokes on fat people, is not that they don't exist, but that they are so overly exaggerated. Fat people don't usually try out for cheerleading, the fat girl wouldn't break the metal chair and then eat the rest of her meal at a different table.

The idea in the media is that we put food above our pride and self esteem, and the real fact is, for people like me, we eat in private and try our best not to eat like a pig in public. I don't go on first dates and order 3 lobsters...or the one pound burger, etc. I don't reach over the table and pick at the food on my companion's plate.

Why does the truth have to be twisted and distorted in order for it to be acceptable? Why does seeing someone's inner beauty mean that the outer beauty be so hard to see? The point in Shallow Hal is fat = ugly.

I am NOT ugly, and I resent that the public is urged to see that I am, just because I'm fat. Inner beauty is great, I'm not knocking it. But fat does not equal ugly, and I get grumpy when the movie/tv show I'm watching pushes that theory.

My panties are large, but they're not "granny panties". I wear thongs and love them! Are they larger than "normal"? Yes, but so am I.

What I didn't like about Shallow Hall, and the same problem I have with the jokes on fat people, is not that they don't exist, but that they are so overly exaggerated. Fat people don't usually try out for cheerleading, the fat girl wouldn't break the metal chair and then eat the rest of her meal at a different table.

The idea in the media is that we put food above our pride and self esteem, and the real fact is, for people like me, we eat in private and try our best not to eat like a pig in public. I don't go on first dates and order 3 lobsters...or the one pound burger, etc. I don't reach over the table and pick at the food on my companion's plate.

Why does the truth have to be twisted and distorted in order for it to be acceptable? Why does seeing someone's inner beauty mean that the outer beauty be so hard to see? The point in Shallow Hal is fat = ugly.

I am NOT ugly, and I resent that the public is urged to see that I am, just because I'm fat. Inner beauty is great, I'm not knocking it. But fat does not equal ugly, and I get grumpy when the movie/tv show I'm watching pushes that theory.

You go girlfriend!!!! Maybe I'm old fashioned and don't wear bikinis anyway but I hate thongs, what about skidmarks:lol: Or is that TMI brandyII

You go girlfriend!!!! Maybe I'm old fashioned and don't wear bikinis anyway but I hate thongs, what about skidmarks:lol: Or is that TMI brandyII

TMI? Why yes, yes it is!