Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat people in movies

At somepoint during this weight lose process you/me will have to STOP being the victim. We will never get past our food addictions if we constantly allow ourselves to be upset about others pointing out the truth about being overweight.

I don't think that by finding a movie distasteful that suddenly means that I find myself the "victim". I don't. It means the jokes they make are inappropriate... a movie where they make fun of a race or a gender I don't find funny either... again, it's distasteful.

These types of movies don't display the "truth" about being overweight, they demonstrate what people think about fat people.

You go girlfriend!!!! Maybe I'm old fashioned and don't wear bikinis anyway but I hate thongs, what about skidmarks:lol: Or is that TMI brandyII

LOL...maybe a little TMI.

I usually don't have a problem, but I gotta say...my daughter is almost 11 now and I never stopped buying baby wipes. I love them. They beat Charmin hands down.

As for the thong - I love them. My best friend's sister-in-law is chubby like us, and we found out that she wore them. So, we were like, "HUH? Fat girl thongs - no way." But, we were at Lane Bryant and decided to buy a couple to see if we liked them. The SIL swore by them. I loved them so much, I tossed my old ones and bought all new thong undies.

I still have my low riders for when I wear my low riding jeans. Thongs and low riders DON'T MIX.

Ok, I cannot believe I am going to ask this, but I really just have to know. Don't thongs make you feel like you have a constant wedgie? I would be afraid of constantly walking around digging that thing out, if you get my drift.

I hate low riders too, maybe my belly is too big and I want it covered but I feel really weird wearing those and have always hated Lane Bryant for forcing me to wear them. If I wear the ones that are higher waisted then they're too big in the butt and legs! Not really angry but you know what I mean, brandyII

Edited by brandyII

Ok, I cannot believe I am going to ask this, but I really just have to know. Don't thongs make you feel like you have a constant wedgie? I would be afraid of constantly walking around digging that thing out, if you get my drift.

Actually, no...just the opposite. I was very surprised. I guess when your underwear is a wedgie, there's no reason to pull it out. I still wear the old undies during housework, or to sleep if I'm wearing just a t-shirt and THOSE give me wedgies.

One thing about the thongs is that I can only get them from LB. They're the only ones with enough wisdom to know that you need more material in the front to cover the belly - even if you don't want it in the back to cover the @$$. Other places don't use enough material and my belly fat hangs out from underneath.

:biggrin: Attractive, eh? TMI?

Although, to be honest, as I'm losing weight I need to get more. I've updated the sizing of my shirts and pants, but my bras and undies are sliding around on me. My boobs have extra material bunching up on top and around them, and my panties are sliding constantly to the left and right, and are so very uncomfortable!

Anyone else dragging their feet about updating their drawers?

yikes - i'm still not a fan of the thong & probably never will be; but have gotten the "girl's" re-fitted. my bras just started to go vacant (if possible being double D) going from 34DD to a 32D.

i've read all about ya many "apples" out there - but i am one big "pear". small arms/ small waist-tummy...thighs & hips are NOT my friend.

one comment about shallow hal - i stopped from commenting about it, because i did not see the movie completely through. it was not funny. i have no problem w/humor off colored (race/gender/size)...just be well written; this movie didn't provide any entertainment whatsoever in either category & i'm not overly sensitive to being overweight....it was just a poorly written script - acted out obnoxiously.

My panties are large, but they're not "granny panties". I wear thongs and love them! Are they larger than "normal"? Yes, but so am I.

What I didn't like about Shallow Hall, and the same problem I have with the jokes on fat people, is not that they don't exist, but that they are so overly exaggerated. Fat people don't usually try out for cheerleading, the fat girl wouldn't break the metal chair and then eat the rest of her meal at a different table.

The idea in the media is that we put food above our pride and self esteem, and the real fact is, for people like me, we eat in private and try our best not to eat like a pig in public. I don't go on first dates and order 3 lobsters...or the one pound burger, etc. I don't reach over the table and pick at the food on my companion's plate.

Why does the truth have to be twisted and distorted in order for it to be acceptable? Why does seeing someone's inner beauty mean that the outer beauty be so hard to see? The point in Shallow Hal is fat = ugly..

Yeah. Yeah. Yeah!!!!

I don't think that by finding a movie distasteful that suddenly means that I find myself the "victim". I don't. It means the jokes they make are inappropriate... a movie where they make fun of a race or a gender I don't find funny either... again, it's distasteful.

These types of movies don't display the "truth" about being overweight, they demonstrate what people think about fat people.

Amen! I hate movies like that whether they are about Fatties, Aneroxics, Black, white, Mexicans, Asian, Male, female, gay, *insert any other label here* it's a false image they are providing and I think it is just stupid and distasteful.

Shallow Hal tried to have a good message and I love Jack Black, but The movie was , as flipflop stated, just distasteful. I think the same thing about anything done recently by Carlos Mencia, college frat movies, etc.

I am a movie snob. Be intelligent or atleast clever and don't rely on stupid sterotypes and making fun of people to entertain your viewers.

I think, unfortunately, the images of fat people in movies are more accurate than we realize. For example, the fat people always have bits of food on them when they eat and they gobble down their food. I would tell myself "fat people don't eat like that!" Except I do gobble down my food. Plus I always end up with crumbs on my chest and I carry around stain wipes because inevitably I end up with a dab of food on my shirt.

So the pictures in the movies aren't 100% accurate -- they are an exaggeration for effect -- but it's an exaggeration of something you see in real life but we don't always notice about ourselves.

I am. However I think the time has come - I was walking through the house and next thing I knew my 'drawers' were around my knees!

Not too sure about 'the girls' though...I seem to lose weight stomach and butt, but leave the upper half alone. I swear I'm going to topple over...

In another show, Ugly Betty. they say that she is fat. America is not fat at all she is freaking beautiful. I'd kill to be the size of her in that show!

I think, unfortunately, the images of fat people in movies are more accurate than we realize. For example, the fat people always have bits of food on them when they eat and they gobble down their food. I would tell myself "fat people don't eat like that!" Except I do gobble down my food. Plus I always end up with crumbs on my chest and I carry around stain wipes because inevitably I end up with a dab of food on my shirt.

So the pictures in the movies aren't 100% accurate -- they are an exaggeration for effect -- but it's an exaggeration of something you see in real life but we don't always notice about ourselves.

Agreed. But a big girl does not order six lbs of food on a first date, break the chair shrug and get another chair and continue stuffing their face. Nor is it usual to see them in a itty bitty bikini ( I guess some do but not around here anyway )

Just like I have never seen a group of bulemic blondes throwing up togethor in one bathroom like I have seen on tv. I think if you have a good movie you don't need that sterotypical crap. It's just unintelligent, to me.

I'm kind of surprised at you, I think that happens with all people but they make fat people out to be slobs intentionally. I know plenty of people who are messy or eat quickly and they don't have to be fat to do it. I think it's a stereotype:thumbdown:brandyII. And I'm actually lucky if I'm wearing a low cut shirt the food will go straight down the girls and no one would ever know:lol:

Edited by brandyII