Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I won't/don't miss about being Obese

I will not miss the helpfulness of family and friends.

Last night, I went to dinner with a friend at a restaurant owned by a friend. We had sat down to eat and I was sitting on the edge of my seat while talking to her, which is something I often do. This was a chair with arms, but it seemed fine to me. Suddenly, the friend who owns the restaurant comes behind me, taps me on the shoulder and offers me another chair -- this one without arms. "This one will be a lot more comfortable for you," he said.

He was as discreet as possible, but I was mortified. To make matters worse, I was having dinner with an extremely fit friend from out of town whom I had not seen in a year. I was already very sensitive about my weight and this did not help.

I am humiliated again just by telling the story.

I'm brand new here and just starting to get things going.

Things I won't miss:

The "WOMEN'S" and "PLUS SIZE" sections in every store.

Wearing all black all the time (it's slimming right?).

Being jealous of all my very thin friends.

Sucking my stomache in.

Getting tired too easily.

And the most I won't miss just happened a couple days ago. A kid in my daughter's Kinder class told her "your Mom is fat", and it seriously almost killed me. :)

Lana

I teach first grade. At the beginning of the year, after about a week, one of my angels promptly told me I had a double chin--while I was in the middle of teaching a lesson. I thanked her for pointing it out to me and kept on going. From the mouths of babes.....:tongue2:

And Shangefan

I understand where you are coming from. I went out to lunch with two thin friends in September and the restaurant was a little hole in the wall with tables crammed in (college town and we were attending class that day). My friends were only being kind to me when they pulled the table toward themselves so I would have more room to sit down. :blushing: It was embarrassing for me but I hid it well. Two weeks later I was sitting in a Lapband seminar.

Edited by debbut

A kid in my daughter's Kinder class told her "your Mom is fat", and it seriously almost killed me.

I'm sorry -- how awful.

Last night, I went to dinner with a friend at a restaurant owned by a friend. We had sat down to eat and I was sitting on the edge of my seat while talking to her, which is something I often do. This was a chair with arms, but it seemed fine to me. Suddenly, the friend who owns the restaurant comes behind me, taps me on the shoulder and offers me another chair -- this one without arms. "This one will be a lot more comfortable for you," he said.

He was as discreet as possible, but I was mortified. To make matters worse, I was having dinner with an extremely fit friend from out of town whom I had not seen in a year. I was already very sensitive about my weight and this did not help.

I am humiliated again just by telling the story.

Ouch! Sometimes well meaning friends are the worst!

I teach first grade. At the beginning of the year, after about a week, one of my angels promptly told me I had a double chin--while I was in the middle of teaching a lesson. I thanked her for pointing it out to me and kept on going. From the mouths of babes.....:tongue2:

I went out to lunch with two thin friends in September and the restaurant was a little hole in the wall with tables crammed in (college town and we were attending class that day). My friends were only being kind to me when they pulled the table toward themselves so I would have more room to sit down. :) It was embarrassing for me but I hid it well. Two weeks later I was sitting in a Lapband seminar.

Even though these are painful experiences, it only helps to reinforce for us that we did the right thing by getting the band and continue to motivate us so that we can throw these "kind" gestures and not so kind comments away and never have to hear them again!

Stuff I won't miss about being chubby:

• Asking to be seated at a table versus a booth
  • Being squished on aircraft seats
  • High blood pressure
  • Limited sex positions
  • Buying bras online cause they're never large enough in stores
  • Being winded when climbing stairs
  • Always being the fattest chick in the room

Edited by VickieSH

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! it;s so nice to know other poeple 'get it'! here are some of the things I won't miss (bear with me there are a lot!)

-wearing regual breif panties and they look like a thong:bored:

-bra extenders

-Lane Bryant

-only picking out cute clothes for my sis-in-law cuz they fit her and not me

-the looks skinny girls give me because they don't get why my hott hubby is with ME.

-the pretty face comments.

-losing 20lbs and not being able to tell.

-people giving me dieting advice when I didn't ask for it.

-Childern asking me if I have a baby in my tummy

-needing momentum to get out of chairs or sofa

-not being able to see my belly button under all my fat rolls

-swimming fully clothes because I won't go near swimsuits

-always sitting with a pillow in front of me to cover the fat rolls.

-finding random peices of food stuck to my body when undressing beacuse they fell down my boobs and i didn't notice. (soooo not sexy)

-being refered to as the 'bigger girl' when people describe me.

-feeling like a line backer

-crying in dressing rooms because nothing fits

-feeling like it's my fault that I misscarried twice.

-reffering to skinny people as skinny people as apposed to just... people

-the panic attack when you try something on and it get's 'stuck' when you try to get it off...

-flooding the bathroom when I get into a tub full of Water

-feeling I'm a skinny person in my head then seeing the awfull truth on a daily basis.

-my family ALWAYS saying "have you lost weight?" when they see me ever if I GAINED weight.

-poeple rolling their eyes at me when I order a salad, like I'm not allowed to like salad cuz I'm fat...

Anyhow there are a ton more but those are some of the bigger ones! I can't wait untill I get bannded!!!!!

i feel the sameee! bein called the bigger girl always when being described...having friends that talk about other big girls that are actually smaller than me....the salad thing yeaa i have that happen at school alot they look at me like i shouldnt be eating that....deffinalty understand the stuff falling down my shirt =/ and also swimming fully clothed that and always wearing sweatshirts and pants even in the summer...i cant waittt to finally be happy with what i look like and not have the problems!:thumbup:

just thought of another one... i won't miss all the bloody unsolicited weight loss advice that strangers and so called friends and family dole out.

btw, i can't believe no one's posted on this for a couple months. i guess other threads took precedence.

and how about this one - this morning I went for some pre-op testing and for the second time in a month, the nurse couldn't find a vein because my arms have gotten so fat. I won't miss this at all, hopefully the next time I have blood drawn my veins will show!!

When I got in to the Access paratransit van to go to work this morning, the driver said, "I have an extension if you need it." I've also been referred to as being "full," and just plain "too fat" to sit in the back with other passengers in cabs. The thing that hurts is that I know it's true. But not for long!

Debbie

I've read every post and agree with nearly all of them. For me personally, I will not miss..

~Taking hundreds of pictures of my kids and hubby and making sure I'm in NONE of them. My kids will have almost no pictures of their mother for the first 10 years of their lives :scared2:

~Not wearing tank tops/sleveless in the summer

~LANE BRYANT

~Macy's plus sized dept.

~Taking hours to make sure my hair and makeup are perfect, only to get dressed and realize I am fat and unattractive

~BEING SAD

just thought of another one... i won't miss all the bloody unsolicited weight loss advice that strangers and so called friends and family dole out.

btw, i can't believe no one's posted on this for a couple months. i guess other threads took precedence.

I swear that's the worst! Who do people think they are? And another thing, some of the very worst offenders are people who are overweight themselves. My dad's been heavy all his life and he never misses a chance to comment on someone who's heavier than he is. I think it's his way of letting himself off the hook - being able to say to himself "Yeah, I'm fat but look at that person!"

I will not miss:

buying big clothes

sweat rashes

legs rubbing together

squeezing into plane seats

back aches

wearing too many clothes in summer

people staring on the beach at me

I won't miss needing a "Bucket" to get my BIG HINEY UP IN THE SADDLE of my horse! LOL! AND I ALREADY don't miss having to take the steps ONE AT A TIME! Came down the stairs the other day and when I got to the bottom, I realized I walked down like a normal person (not sideways while holding onto the rail as I have for the past 5-6 years!)

Things that I wont miss...

-the "rainbows" in my underwear because im so fat i sweat all the time all over my body

-the feeling that everyone is looking at me wherever i go because i am so fat

-not being able to sit through an entire swim meet for my daughter

-having to excuse myself and asking ppl to move because i am too fat to squeeze through a grocery store isle,movies etc without th other peron moving

-my world revolving around food

-being embarrased to go out with friends and sitting at home by myslf all weeknd and being so depressed i dont even shower

-the waddle

-crying ecause im not who i really want to be

-feelinng powerless

-feelin unworthy

-feeling fat

-tight cloths

-lane bryant

-wearing stuff off the clearance rack because fat girl cloths are expensive

-wondering how many x's wll i need this month

-dreading christmas because of the pictures and the gifts...ppl always assume when your fat that you must like it cuz its in your size..which by the way they always guess way too small or way too big

-my dip in the couch..ill need a new one

oh there really are so many things i cant wait for my journey to really begin!

I can't wait to take a picture and actually be able to see my eyes. Now when I smile my cheeks and eyelids meet and I have slits for eyes. And, of course I will not miss all the things listed before my post!!!!!!