Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low carb wine?

Luluc...I was asking if anyone knew if there was a wine out there (a good one) that has less carbs than others. What made me think of this is; I was visiting with a person about a year ago that has type I diabetes. She mentioned that her dr. had recommended she drink a certain brand of wine because it had lower carbs than most. I have no way to contact that person and thought maybe someone on this forum had some info.

My dad is diabetic - and he "found" a low sugar Chardonay (believe from the Russian River Valley - CA). It was ghastly - awful. For me I'd prefer to have one glass a wk - than many of something that tasted like cardborad - If you can visualize that taste. It truly had a "I just drank tree bark flavor". Dad sticks to his one great Cabernet a wk, he's more particular than I am in wine - and he just works his blood sugar in other means.

Thanks Skinny Jill!!

The saliva breaks down carbs in the mouth. This is the first step of digestion. Alcohol is one of the very few substances that is absorbed through the stomach wall. If not, then it would take hours to feel the effects of alcohol. The food mixes with enzymes and Hydrochloric acid in the stomach. This starts to break down the Proteins. The food then moves to the small intestine where bile from the liver and enzymes from the pancreas break down foods into simple building blocks. At this point the molecules are transported through the intestinal wall. Carbs start digesting in the mouth. Proteins start to digest in the stomach and most fat breakdown does not occur until it reaches the small intestine where it can mix with bile. Alcohol is absorbed first and the carbs, proteins and lipids are absorbed in the small intestine. Fiber (cellulose) is not able to be broken down by our digestive system and thus is not absorbed into the intestinal wall. Our digestive sytem is remarkably intricate. It is really a wonder isn't it?

My dad is diabetic - and he "found" a low sugar Chardonay (believe from the Russian River Valley - CA). It was ghastly - awful. For me I'd prefer to have one glass a wk - than many of something that tasted like cardborad - If you can visualize that taste. It truly had a "I just drank tree bark flavor". Dad sticks to his one great Cabernet a wk, he's more particular than I am in wine - and he just works his blood sugar in other means.

Thanks Skinny Jill!!

I'm with you, Luluc. I would rather have a "nice" glass of wine once in awhile than to have the "tree bark" flavor. Brings back memories of high school and back country roads sneaking around drinking Boones Farm!

I would just drink a good red wine. It is the most healthy and you might as well drink something good. I have never heard of low carb wine but compared to white wine, red is pretty good for you.

Pinot Noirs tend be less in carbs than other wines.

wine is a part of my life - I do know that when I was a die hard adkins person -the adkins guru himself recommended a glass of a dry red wine a day and said that the people who followed that actually lost more weight then those that didn't. Now I don't know if he had any basis to say that - but it made me happy!:) I drink a glass (sometimes 2) of red merlot wine a day. It is my one treat and indulgance - I am not much of a sugar person, I try and make good choices throughout the day - and in the evening if I have done my exercise and ate well thorughout the day I have a glass of wine - and sit down and relax. You gotta do what you gotta do to enjoy life and live - one can't live on Protein Water for life! Cheers - btw my favorite wine is cheap chuck - or 2 buck chuck - which is actually called Charles Shaw and is only available at Trader Joes - an excellent wine - never gives me a headache - tastes better then most expensive wines - and I can get a case of it in Ohio for around 40$. Anne

wine is a part of my life - I do know that when I was a die hard adkins person -the adkins guru himself recommended a glass of a dry red wine a day and said that the people who followed that actually lost more weight then those that didn't. Now I don't know if he had any basis to say that - but it made me happy!:) I drink a glass (sometimes 2) of red merlot wine a day. It is my one treat and indulgance - I am not much of a sugar person, I try and make good choices throughout the day - and in the evening if I have done my exercise and ate well thorughout the day I have a glass of wine - and sit down and relax. You gotta do what you gotta do to enjoy life and live - one can't live on Protein Water for life! Cheers - btw my favorite wine is cheap chuck - or 2 buck chuck - which is actually called Charles Shaw and is only available at Trader Joes - an excellent wine - never gives me a headache - tastes better then most expensive wines - and I can get a case of it in Ohio for around 40$. Anne

I love two buck chucks! I'm a Flight Attendant and every time I head out to LA I bring back as many as my little suitcase will hold!!