Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low carb wine?

A questions for all of you wine drinkers. If I go out, I usually will have a vodka/diet coke. Since I now do not drink carbonated beverages and do not like vodka with anything else, I think I will go with a glass of wine. Can anyone recommend a good, low carb wine? Thanks

ooooh, i treat wine like butter. if i indulge, i want the good stuff. i have wine a few times a wk - i don't necessarily count them as "liquid calories" because i work out hard 5/6 times a wk & it balances out. it also has not slowed my weightloss down - again, because i feel i'm eating well & exercising.

i am interested in the responses - if there "are" low carb wines; i wouldn't mind trying, but again....I REALLY like the good stuff.

A 5 oz. glass of wine has about 5g of carbs. The fruit sugar is broken down as the wine ferments and the bi-product of the fermentation is alcohol (and gas) Since wine isn't distilled like hard liquor, there is some remaining carbs. Alcohol is not a carb, btw.

Here's the thing, though. That 5 oz. glass of wine is going to have at a minimum 110 calories and 13 grams of alcohol! Your body processes alcohol before Protein, carbs and fat, which is not a good thing. Think "beer belly".

If something has calories it must be a Protein carb or fat. I believe alcohol is considered a carb. It is not a protein or fat. I am not sure what you mean by the body processes alcohol first. Could you explain?

i had a LONG talk w/my surgeon about wine prior to surgery. he knows i'm a trained chef in europe and cooking & wine is an integral part of my life. i'm in a "new age of cooking" now - experimenting low cal menus. wine is carbs - plain and simple. here is the nutritional breakdown of a 4oz glass of red table wine:

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 4 oz <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><HR color=black SIZE=7></TD></TR><TR><TD class=facts_main colSpan=2>Amount per Serving</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><HR color=black SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Calories 85</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 9px" align=right>Calories from Fat 0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><HR color=black SIZE=6></TD></TR><TR><TD align=right colSpan=2>% Daily Value *</TD></TR><TR><TD>Total Fat 0g</TD><TD class=facts_main align=right>0%</TD></TR><TR><TD>Saturated Fat 0g</TD><TD class=facts_main align=right>0%</TD></TR><TR><TD>Monounsaturated Fat 0g</TD></TR><TR><TD>Polyunsaturated Fat 0g</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cholesterol 0mg</TD><TD class=facts_main align=right>0%</TD></TR><TR><TD>Sodium 6mg</TD><TD class=facts_main align=right>0%</TD></TR><TR><TD>Total Carbohydrate 2g</TD><TD class=facts_main align=right>1%</TD></TR><TR><TD>Dietary Fiber 0g</TD><TD class=facts_main align=right>0%</TD></TR><TR><TD>Protein 0g</TD><TD class=facts_main align=right>0%</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><HR color=black SIZE=7></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Vitamin A</TD><TD class=facts_main align=right>0%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR color=black><CENTER>Est. Percent of Calories from:

<TABLE width="90%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Fat 0.0% Carbs 9.4% </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Protein 0.0% </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

do i advocate drinking - absolutely not...it is something i treat myself with - and keep in mind constantly to assure i'm doing a "BALANCE" of good eating with exercise.

If something has calories it must be a Protein carb or fat. I believe alcohol is considered a carb. It is not a Protein or fat. I am not sure what you mean by the body processes alcohol first. Could you explain?

there are different types of carbohydrates. Fiber is a carb, but is not processed by your body the same a sucrose. Alcohol is a by-product, along with gas, from the fermentation of carbohydrates.

Take sourdough bread for example. True sourdough does not require yeast to make it rise. It's the bacteria that consume the flour that makes it rise. The result is alcohol (what gives the bread a sour taste) and gas (which causes the bubbles and rising.

The only digestible carbs are starch and sugar.

As far as what order food is digested, alcohol goes first, carbohydrates are digested next, protein is digested next, and fat is the last to be digested.

Digestion starts in your mouth. Your saliva starts breaking down food first. The food goes to your stomach where it is mixed with digestive juices and then the stomach proceedes to store the food and digestive juices begin to work. Alcohol is not digested, it passes through into your intestines. Carbohydrates (that are not alcohol or fiber) are processed faster than protein and fat. Protein takes longer to process than carbs, and fat takes the longest of all.

:bolt: probably more than you wanted to know!

i had a LONG talk w/my surgeon about wine prior to surgery. he knows i'm a trained chef in europe and cooking & wine is an integral part of my life. i'm in a "new age of cooking" now - experimenting low cal menus. wine is carbs - plain and simple. here is the nutritional breakdown of a 4oz glass of red table wine:

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 4 oz <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2"><hr color="black" size="7"></td></tr><tr><td class="facts_main" colspan="2">Amount per Serving</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><hr color="black" size="1"></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left">Calories 85</td><td style="font-size: 9px;" align="right">Calories from Fat 0</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><hr color="black" size="6"></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" align="right">% Daily Value *</td></tr><tr><td>Total Fat 0g</td><td class="facts_main" align="right">0%</td></tr><tr><td>Saturated Fat 0g</td><td class="facts_main" align="right">0%</td></tr><tr><td>Monounsaturated Fat 0g</td></tr><tr><td>Polyunsaturated Fat 0g</td></tr><tr><td>Cholesterol 0mg</td><td class="facts_main" align="right">0%</td></tr><tr><td>Sodium 6mg</td><td class="facts_main" align="right">0%</td></tr><tr><td>Total Carbohydrate 2g</td><td class="facts_main" align="right">1%</td></tr><tr><td>Dietary Fiber 0g</td><td class="facts_main" align="right">0%</td></tr><tr><td>Protein 0g</td><td class="facts_main" align="right">0%</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><hr color="black" size="7"></td></tr></tbody></table><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>Vitamin A</td><td class="facts_main" align="right">0%</td></tr></tbody></table>

<hr color="black"><center>Est. Percent of Calories from:

<table align="center" border="0" width="90%"><tbody><tr><td align="center">Fat 0.0% Carbs 9.4% </td></tr><tr><td align="center">Protein 0.0% </td></tr></tbody></table></center>

do i advocate drinking - absolutely not...it is something i treat myself with - and keep in mind constantly to assure i'm doing a "BALANCE" of good eating with exercise.

Thanks for the detailed info. I, too, like to treat myself with a drink now and then. I include the calories when calculating my daily intake.

My understanding is the sugar intake is something to be cautious of as well. Like luluc, I enjoy my wine and account for it (most of the time) in my daily caloric intake. I'm not saying I drink wine everday, but I do 1-2 times per week. I also work out and it hasn't seemed to slow down my weight loss. Thanks for all the good info Jena!!

Salut!!

i had a LONG talk w/my surgeon about wine prior to surgery. he knows i'm a trained chef in europe and cooking & wine is an integral part of my life. i'm in a "new age of cooking" now - experimenting low cal menus. wine is carbs - plain and simple.

Yes, wine is a carbohydrate, however as I stated in my above post, there are different types of carbohydrates and your body handles each one differently. If you read labels closely, you will see that carbohydrates are broken down into sugar and Fiber.

In the last few years, a new type of carbohydrate has been studied. It's called "resistant starch" which is a type of starch that behaves in your body as a fiber. If your interested, give it a google! :biggrin2:

Yes, wine is a carbohydrate, however as I stated in my above post, there are different types of carbohydrates and your body handles each one differently. If you read labels closely, you will see that carbohydrates are broken down into sugar and Fiber.

In the last few years, a new type of carbohydrate has been studied. It's called "resistant starch" which is a type of starch that behaves in your body as a fiber. If your interested, give it a google! :biggrin2:

Yes there are different carbs - Didn't try to suggest otherwise. I probably read labels more than most, no need for me to google the breakdown as you suggest - because I'm sure your versed, people breakdown "carbs" differently.

3yrs in France learning under some great Chef's you learn more than "kitchen work". Nutritional testing is required. I believe the thread was asking if there is a Carb'less wine....That's new to me, and something I'd be interested in learning about. Since carbs make up less than 10% of my daily intake - that Fantastic Red Zinfadel at night after a LONG day on the ranch & gym is just what this body requires & thrives on.

Yes there are different carbs - Didn't try to suggest otherwise. I probably read labels more than most, no need for me to google the breakdown as you suggest - because I'm sure your versed, people breakdown "carbs" differently.

3yrs in France learning under some great Chef's you learn more than "kitchen work". Nutritional testing is required. I believe the thread was asking if there is a Carb'less wine....That's new to me, and something I'd be interested in learning about. Since carbs make up less than 10% of my daily intake - that Fantastic Red Zinfadel at night after a LONG day on the ranch & gym is just what this body requires & thrives on.

Luluc...I was asking if anyone knew if there was a wine out there (a good one) that has less carbs than others. What made me think of this is; I was visiting with a person about a year ago that has type I diabetes. She mentioned that her dr. had recommended she drink a certain brand of wine because it had lower carbs than most. I have no way to contact that person and thought maybe someone on this forum had some info.

Actually, the original author asked if there is a low carb wine that we would recommend. I pointed out that all wines have roughly the same amount of carbs, but when it comes to wine (and beer) it's the calories that will get you, rather than the carbs.

I suggested, to all, if they are interested in Resistant Starch, that they should google it. It's a very interesting subject. Although I'm sure the "your versed "[sic] people don't need to bother.