Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This was the last straw

Yeah, sometimes I think places don't want fat people...Like when the tables are too close to the booths, or have the turn-style to get in.

I think sporting events just want as many seats as possible so their seats are always sooo little! WTH? Most sports fans are fat! :Dancing_wub:

So, yeah, there are tons of reasons, but that was my last straw.

I haven't been to an amusement park since then, either.

I have had so many "a-ha" moments, and have wanted the band for about two years now. But one just happened today, which is why I mention it here.

I started at a new company about three weeks ago. Today was our "new employee lunch" for our group. I'm in downtown Minneapolis, and we had to walk through the skyways to get to the restaurant. Probably a half mile at the most. By the time we got to the restaurant, I was lagging behind the group, sweaty, and mortified. My back hurt, and I was pretty much ready to cry. I just kept cursing myself because it's MY FAULT that I can't even keep up on a walk to lunch. And of course, the entire way there, I'm PRAYING that we're not squeezing into a booth, or worse yet, we don't have to sit in chairs with arms.

I had to subtlety wipe my face with my Water napkin, and suck on ice to try to cool my body temp so I'd stop sweating.

On the way back, I was more sore, sweat even more, and now I'm back at my desk... after applying powder on my face to combat the shiny, red face. My back hurts, I'm terribly embarassed, and I just basically make myself sick. I used to be this athletic person... maybe not THIN, but at least in shape.

It just made me angry at myself, and more determined to kick my own ass at the gym tonight.

Yeah, sometimes I think places don't want fat people...Like when the tables are too close to the booths, or have the turn-style to get in.

I think sporting events just want as many seats as possible so their seats are always sooo little! WTH? Most sports fans are fat! :Dancing_wub:

So, yeah, there are tons of reasons, but that was my last straw.

I haven't been to an amusement park since then, either.

The fatter I have gotten, the more I've realized how much it sucks to even make PLANS to go out to eat... I'm always worried I won't fit wherever we go. And I keep wanting to take the step-kids to an amusement park or a Water park, but then I stop when I realize that there's no way I'll fit on any rides.

It's sad when your kids' lives are negatively affected because of your "disability".

My last straw came when I couldn't get a job after moving to Atlanta, and felt a lot of the reason was because of my weight. When you go in for a job interview having beent old on the phone you are a "perfect candidate", but are suddenly all worng when you get there and are being interviewed by a room full of "Barbies", it's kind of hard not to think your weight has something to do with why they won't hire you.

My last straw after thinking about WLS for a while, is when my father died this last christmas, kidney failure due to diabetes, and thats where I am heading. I have been diabetic for 10 years and my numbers are getting higher and totally out of control. So I have seen the surgeon, tomorrow the dietician and now I just wait for the date.

My mother suddenly became very ill in October and was in the hospital for 2 weeks and had major surgery. To this day we don't know what caused it but my sister and I realized if it was us it would have been impossible to get around. My mother is thin and healthy and she had a very difficult time. I had been researching the band for 2 years and fighting with insurance. I had to accept that insurance would not pay for it and got a loan and was banded 11/20/07 which was about a month after my mother got out of the hospital.

I was thinking about this yesterday in the shower. The thing that really scared me was that I was having problems attending to my personal hygiene, like on the toilet and in the shower. I have only told my husband this, as I was so horrified at myself. :lol:

I was also maxed out at size 32 clothes, the largest size carried at most of the stores around here. I weighed in at 432 lbs at surgery time. I have lost 125 lbs. and have no weight-related, anxiety-inducing fears any more. I still have a ways to go, but will still be thrilled even if I never lose another pound. As long as I don't gain.

Kat

I was thinking about this yesterday in the shower. The thing that really scared me was that I was having problems attending to my personal hygiene, like on the toilet and in the shower. I have only told my husband this, as I was so horrified at myself. :thumbs_up:

I was also maxed out at size 32 clothes, the largest size carried at most of the stores around here. I weighed in at 432 lbs at surgery time. I have lost 125 lbs. and have no weight-related, anxiety-inducing fears any more. I still have a ways to go, but will still be thrilled even if I never lose another pound. As long as I don't gain.

Kat

Kat, you sound a lot like me! I, too, was concerned with my personal hygiene - SO EMBARASSING to admit! I, too, am maxing out at stores, wearing a 30-32. Congrats on your overwhelming success! You're an inspiration!

Several a-ha moments ~

I went to an amusement park and couldn't get on one of the rides with my husband because we weighed too much combined. I went to a baseball game and ached for hours afterwards because my ass was too wide for the seat. I found my size 28 pants getting tight and knew that going a size up meant that I wouldn't even be able to shop at Lane Bryant anymore. I started getting painful, itchy rashes between my fat rolls whenever it got hot.

My husband and I went to a restaurant and we had to ask to switch to a table because the table at the booth dug painfully into my stomach. I went for a GYN check-up and the PA scolded me so severely for my weight -- and told me that I should not even consider getting pregnant until it was off -- that I cried in the parking lot. I flew to a wedding and had to ask for a seatbelt extender for the first time. I thought I looked pretty cute at the wedding, but when I saw some photos I burst into tears -- who was that huge woman with the protruding gut and double chin? Surely not me!

All of these made me start researching WLS. I never seriously considered GB but when I learned about lapband it was like "yes, that sounds like it could be for me!"

Last straw ~ seeing 300 pounds on the scale. Within a month of that I had scheduled surgery.

Edited by GreenChrysalis

I have always been a pretty "thick" girl, but over the years the weight has been creeping and creeping. I had recently resorted to putting a belt around my middle tire, pulling my pants up as high as they would go and putting on another belt and covering with a fitted top to accent the "girls." Well, it was getting harder and harder to pull this off. I was in my room stuffing, stretching and pulling when my five year old daughter walked in and said "Oh Mom, you are just so FAT, look at you! Do you see me, I am skinny and you are just... oh! Here let me help you." I stood there horrified when she came over to me and tried to pull my pants up for me. First of all, I had never heard her speak like that and I was so embarrassed. I could not even say a word. We were on our way out of town and my husband and my daughter always swim. Usually I sit and watch them, but due to our earlier conversation I was feeling down about myself and went to the room to relax. When they came back from swimming my daughter came and sat beside me and was looking very upset. I asked her what was wrong and she told me that she was sad because I never swim with her it is just always her dad. I didn't even realize that she noticed. That day I decided right then and there I had to do it as much for her as myself! Best decision I ever made. I had toyed with the idea for a long time, but that was definitely my last straw!!!!!!!

Mine was meeting with an old highschool boyfriend that I'd started talking to online after 20 years then him never trying to contact me once after I couldn't fit into the booth at the restraunt.

It really hurt. It wasn't even a romantic thing. We were both happily married with kids but it was like he thought I was too fat to even be friends with.

I know, I know I don't need those kinds of friends and I was the one that broke up with him in HS for being a jerk back then too. But it still hurt enough to give me that final push.

Mine was the second I realized that my weight was robbing my daughter of her childhood.

Because of my weight I am too embarrassed to go anywhere. We stay home most of the time. My daughter is so outgoing and loves to be around other children. We went to an indoor playground and it was so hard to be on the floor with her to play, and when I would get up I would be out of breath just tugging away at my clothes to make sure that nothing was hanging out.

I know what kind of mother I can and WANT to be to her, but the weight--coupled with embarassment and anxiety--keeps me from doing those fun things.

Two days after this specific incident I attended a free seminar by Dr. Geiss, and made my initial appointment the next day.

I am looking forward to beginning this journey...

Mine both happened around my wedding 2 years ago. I had been thinking about the band for over a year, but I thought I wasn't quite at that point yet. I didn't want to try to lose weight JUST for the wedding--I didn't want to be one of those brides that has to have everything perfect for just one day. And the wedding was great, but I didn't keep my weight steady, I gained, and my dress was tight. But that wasn't the last straw. First, I saw how my father was trying to walk at my wedding. He was only 62 then, morbidly obese for most of his life (much more than I ever have been) and his knees are nearly shot. He can barely walk. I didn't want to ever get to that point.

Then, when we returned from our honeymoon, we went to another friend's wedding. When I saw the pictures of myself from that wedding, I was appalled. I couldn't believe how fat I had gotten. I was depressed for about a month after that, and then I decided to seriously look into the band. My insurance was going to start covering it in a few months, so I couldn't have any of my preop appointments before that, but I went to a seminar, and was banded 3 months after they started coverage. Best decision ever!

Mine was having my orthopedic doc tell me that my knee would be replaced this year if I didn't lose...4 months out and I am down 55 pounds!! ^_^