Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Congratulations...you are on your way with the rest of us!!! It is a great relief when it is done. Remember after surgery walk walk walk....

sharon:)

E glad they were able to fix the problem and you can get on with your recovery. I need help I am two weeks out of surgery and busting my butt at the gym and my weight has not moved in a week. What gives.

need advice and support

I need help I am two weeks out of surgery and busting my butt at the gym and my weight has not moved in a week. What gives.

need advice and support

I've read this a million times on the boards and you really must take it to heart. Remember, the first 6-8 weeks post-op are for HEALING, not for weight loss. I know you get impatient (trust me, i'm the world's most impatient person), but you've got your whole life to be sexy and slim!

You're only 2 weeks out, concentrate on healing first. Once you have a fill you'll start losing more. You probably shouldn't be "busting your butt" at the gym, as if you put a strain on your band or the muscles it's attached to while it isn't healed (and after two weeks, yours DEFINITELY isn't healed) you risk a port flip, dislodging the band, slippage or worse. You could end up having to have the band removed!

So take it easy for now, you've just had major surgery. Let your body heal, and leave the butt-busting for a few weeks. The weight WILL come off, in it's own sweet time.

Cheers,

Annie.

Annie - I totally agree, my DR is insistant that first 4 weeks are rest and walking, maybe the eliptical, nothing else. I am not even bowling, maybe I'll get back for the last week.. I also have an exercixe ball that I sit on while at the computer. easy and you don;t even know you are using your muscles. But as for busting my butt, no way. still feel lots of pulling at port site and internally from hernia repair. and no lifting of anything over 10#

And what the heck is a body bug???

A BodyBug is a $400 or so machine that attaches to your body and monitors your calorie usage. You connect it to your computer to upload your information, and it performs all sorts of tracking functions, and shows you how many calories you were using while you were watching TV, playing competitive volleyball, doing the watusi, etc. They look interesting, and I'm up for buying any gadget to show my commitment, but I'm a Mac person, and their software doesn't yet exist for Macs.

Today's my One Month Bandiversary!!!

And, yes, I use expressions like "Bandiversary" now!!!

And what the heck is a body bug???

I gather a body bugg is something a bit like a pedometer on steroids -- you attach it to your upper arm and wear it all day, and it basically tracks how many steps you're taking, kilojules you're burning, and i think it does things like heart rate as well. The website is BODYBUGG :: HOW IT WORKS (i think), you can get more info there. They are quite expensive ($400+) but most people who have them seem to love them.

Not 100% sure on any of this, they're not available in Australia so i don't have all the info. But check it out if you think it's something that could work for you!

Nothing wrong with getting all the help and support we can -- after all, that's why we have the band, right? :biggrin:

thx for the support I am just doing the eliptical and the bike at the gym but for an hour 30 & 30. Do you think it is too much to soon. It just seems that everyone else that I read has lost substantial amount of weight by the time they are going into their third week. I am just frustrated and impatient. Sitting on the ball is a good idea thx

Erika, sorry to hear you had to have surgery again. I didn't get on the site yesterday so I had no idea until today. I know you're in good hands with Dr. H. So far things are going well for me, for the most part. I've had some gas pains the last 2 or 3 days that have lasted all day long and not sure what's up with that. I've also noticed during the nite when I roll over in bed I've noticed some pulling sensation on my insides like stitches pulling or something. My DH says I need to call the doctor office and tell them, so probably will. Anyway, keep us posted and hope you're feeling better soon.

thx for the support I am just doing the eliptical and the bike at the gym but for an hour 30 & 30. Do you think it is too much to soon. It just seems that everyone else that I read has lost substantial amount of weight by the time they are going into their third week. I am just frustrated and impatient. Sitting on the ball is a good idea thx

I gather the elliptical is fine, but (according to my surgeon) the bike is a no-no. Puts too much pressure on your abs, and you can dislodge or flip the port. I have to wait 8 weeks post-op before I could ride my bike again - and I'm having serious withdrawal symptoms! I don't do exercise bike, but i'm a BIG road-bike fan. Maybe try swapping the bike for the treadmill, at least for another 2 weeks or so.

You've just paid a s**tload of money for surgery, don't jeopardize it by doing too much, too soon!

I am feeling down today. I started getting this sharp pain in my left side, and it is not where the port is. It is like I am getting a horrid side ache. :biggrin:

I have been feeling down about the weight loss. I was banded march 21 and have lost about 8-10 pounds. I am happy with that, but afraid this was is not going to work for me. I have been heavy all of my life, since childhood. I have never had any serious weight related health problems, I can walk with out losing breath. my favorite thing to do is hike in the spring and summer. my highest weight has been 350+; my surgery weight is 317. I just want to lose weight for my self-esteem. I am self-pay, and I am trying my hardest to stay focused. I am just winging right now. My Dr. said that some people do not lose weight before their first fill, so I am going by that. my first fill will be 4/21. I am glad to have found this thread. thanks to everyone.

Bratz don't get discouraged it is still early yet. But I do understand how you feel I was banded on the 19th and I have only lost 10lbs total but I still feel I did the right thing cuz I was only getting fatter tring to do it on my own. My self-esteem is in the toilet. So we are kinda feeling about the same today. But it is nice to have this link to others in the same boat.

Good luck

((((Bratz & lbs))))

We've all had or will have those days....maybe even weeks....but the most important thing is STAY THE COURSE! Don't let the blues push you off this great path we've forged for ourselves and lapse back on to that muddy trail that got us here!

Bratz, I still get those side pains, too.....it feels like a cramp or a "stitch"....don't know what it is, but I can't help but think that "This too, shall pass."

We've ALL been through a lot this month and in the months leading up to our surgeries. Now is the time to take a breath, relax, heal.....and picture ourselves where we want to be.

Tell yourself EVERYDAY....and I'm serious about this...."I deserve this. I will achieve this. I AM a successful bandser. I WILL see my goal"

WE WILL, I SWEAR!

Bratz, I too had those pains the other day and thought I would die each time I got one. When I went to bed they stopped and I haven't had them since. I just chalked it off to more gas. I have had gas in more places than I care to mention the last week.....Kathy

Awww, hugs to everyone feeling down in the dumps today. It will get better!

I am on day 4 post-op, and I finally feel human for the first time! The soreness factor is way down, and I fell like I can move around alot easier. My biggest problem right now is trying to take in enough fluids. I find myself forgetting to drink for hours at a time. I will have to work on that. Any hints on what worked for you guys?