Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

unsuccessful lapband results

Hello everyone, I am a 44 year old woman who had lapband surgery in 2002. Initially, I went in weighing 290 pounds - I lost 80 pounds... Starting in 2004-to today, I gained most of my weight back. Also have had 3 lapband fills. I am so disgusted with myself. I now weigh 265 pounds. I'm so embarassed to see my doctor again. Is anyone experiencing what i have experiencing now?

Dont be embarrassed to see your doctor. I was told when I had the surgery in August that this would be a continual process (getting fills) I have already had 4 in 6 months. Go see the doctor - if you are not comfortable with your original surgeon go find anohter one.

Hi:

Half of the battle is admitting that you have a problem and coming up with a plan to solve it. I would start with scheduling a fill and put yourself in a positive spirit. Being negative, ashamed, embarrassed is not a good way to start. Why not say "I messed up, but I'm going to change starting today". You could start by increasing your exercise before you get a new fill.

Good luck.

Sue

First of all congratulations on the weight loss you did achieve - that is no small matter. It has to be very discouraging to have gained a good portion of it back. I never lose did the you were able to, and I gained some of mine back too.

Do you still feel restriction? If not, maybe all you need is a simple fill. If you do feel restriction, but have gained the weight back due to eating 'band friendly' but high fat, high sugar foods, maybe a plan like Weight Watchers would help you get back on track.

All I know is that you've already made huge strides - please don't beat yourself up.

Hi Zagagirl, You are not alone in how you feel but no matter what, you are still less than when you started so that is a positive.

I had surgery 4 months ago and I had the same thought as you, too embarrassed to admit to my doctor that I hadn't lost the weight but as someone pointed out to me (thanks Pammie!!) that's the point of the surgery to get the fills until you find the spot that works for you. I'm booked in for my 3rd fill on Saturday.

Don't give up - book a fill and you'll soon be back on the plan, take it one step at a time and keep coming on this site for motivation.

Hi Zagagirl,

maybe 3 fills just didn't do it for you...good luck

You're not the first one of his patients to gain back weight and you won't be the last. Just go in, be honest, and start over. You were a success once and you will be again.

I bet you take care of everyone else before you take care of yourself. I bet you have a beautiful garden that blooms to the delight of all your neighbors. In the airport you're the person with the big smile that chats with folks in the long security line and makes the wait more tolerable.

It's time to think about yourself, first. Go see the Doc. Or better yet get a new one and make a fresh start. Visit this site often and create a support group that cares for you and wants to help you succeed.

I don't know you, yet. But feel free to contact me. Im to be banded next week. You were such a success Im sure you have tips to help the newbies.

Share your passion and sensitivity. :biggrin2:

Amanda,

Beautifully written. I will be getting banded with you next week. Best of luck.

To the OP......think of yourself and be confident in what you can accomplish and everything else will fall into place.

Hi zaga,

I just registered here today, not sure how long ago you posted comment. Well, you have a friend in me sounds just about like my situation. I was banded in Nov. 2004 and it was the best decision I ever made. I lost the weight WAS a success story and now almost 4 years later I'm inching or rather running back up, I'm about 203 now. I came here to find support from others like me and looking for the initial support I received from these type of online chats. I have been eating terribly drinking soda wine basically anything; I have restriction sometime I know I can use a fill so thats my first step and them I'm gonna start new. Looking for a support partner. Could this be you? Oh btw I'm changing doctors too. Yeah somewhat from embarrassment but also I moved and its a little far.

I would go back to your surgeon. These things can happen. I would suggest seeing if you have stretched your pouch out first. Then I would have a good fill and be on my way. You can take that off in a years time. You can do it.

Hi zagagirl...You're definitely not alone. I'm starting over after three years, and I'm committed to it. I had to find a new surgeon because mine left town, but once I did I went in and started all over. I've been banded for three years, and am back at my starting weight. I posted that here and got so many emails from people that have struggled through this. I was ready to give up. But I picked myself up and I'm back on the wagon. I haven't eaten Haagen Dasz in over a month...(I'm an ice cream snob, and couldn't stay away from the good stuff) I'm in the midst of an adjustment balancing act right now, I was too tight, now back to too loose, but am going back in two weeks to get a little more back in. You can do this. It's embarrassing, I know. You are probably like me and assumed you would drop every pound right away and never gain it back...well I found out that I have to fight to get it off and then fight harder to keep it off. Let me know how it's going, we're in the same boat.

OMG Don't feel bad!!!

I assume that you needed a fill, and did not know it at the time and it wasn't never filled properly. Thus you were able to eat food that would have been difficult to eat with a proper fill. (I know when I am not properly filled I can have a mardi gras with food if I wanted to.)

Go Back To Your Doctor And Get That Band Filled Girl! Remember you are WORTH the success.:wink2:

Hey thanks for the vote of confidence, I plan to make an appointment Monday for a fill. I know I defiantely need one I can drink with food and ALL fatty habits I had pre-band. How would I know if I had a slippage or stretched my pouch? I think someone called it. Would I need an xray?

Thanks Again

I've not logged onto this site in months because I'm about in the same boat. I had surgery 1 1/2 years ago and lost 80 pounds the first few months then the past 6 nothing. I have had 6 fills and so I went and got a very tight one and that does make all of the difference in the world. Now mind you I can't eat much and that usually draws up a lot of negativity from every one but at this point I'm at the to each his own type attitude. I'm finally losing again after 6 months.

Why don't you try another fill and just jump back on the wagon. My band so far as never, ever let me gain one pound back so I'm really betting your not tight enough. I'm no expert but have been through this for almost 2 years.

Don't, don't don't beat yourself up. Be proud that you took this step, be proud you've still lost weight and be proud of yourself. You deserve it whether you think so or not.

PM me anytime if you need someone to talk with.

Hugs,

Sherri