Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico for a Canadian

well said Angi. The band is for life. who says the American border will be forever open to us Canadians. It is getting more difficult to cross since the American government has been shifting more and more to isolationist policies. Not faulting the US, they have the right to protect their borders but I have to think of my future. Doddie

Well I have spoken with my doctor (who is very supportive and willing to learn how to do fills) and we think it would be best to explore Dr. Woodhead. The thoughts are that he is a hour plane ride away so if anything does come up access will be easier. My doctor thinks he could handle most issues but he would like to work with Dr. Woodhead just due to proximity.

So next step is a visit with Dr. Woodhead

:thumbup:

Well said Angi. Dr. R. Woodhead is a reputable doctor and right in our own backyard. Why anyone would want to go to Mexico and take a chance on the after care is beyond me. But what the hey, their life not mine. All we can do it point out what can happen. Doddie

Well I have spoken with my doctor (who is very supportive and willing to learn how to do fills) and we think it would be best to explore Dr. Woodhead. The thoughts are that he is a hour plane ride away so if anything does come up access will be easier. My doctor thinks he could handle most issues but he would like to work with Dr. Woodhead just due to proximity.

So next step is a visit with Dr. Woodhead

:thumbup:

Hey good luck with meeting Dr.Woodhead, I hope he's willing to work with your doc so you can get this show on the road. Keep us posted! What region do you live in if you don't mind my asking?

good luck with your surgery. i had mine in mexico. no complaints. just be careful in mexico. Tijuana has the drug cartel battles going on. some shootings and stuff. not a good time to go out walking around town or shopping. stick with your driver, hotel and doctor...

I just got back from Tijuana not too long ago and I think that the problems with the drug cartels are exagerted. Unless you are a Mexican cop, judge, crime jouranlist or drug king pin, which I am assuming you are not, this wont really impact you.

I was hesitant when I went there initially, but really by the end of my stay I felt safe.

Travelling to TJ is just like going to any other large North American city. Stay in the tourist areas and try to stay out of the bad ones.

The bell desk at the hotel where I stayed was really good fo getting cabs and giving me tips about how to get a cab back to the hotel.

If you use a clinic in Mexico they all have hotels that they work with. At the hotel I stayed at all of the front desk staff spoke english and were very helpful.

Andrew

Your doctor has good common sense and made the right choice. He will be able to work with Dr. Woodhead so you will get good care. My port is on its side and it takes Dr. Woodhead a bit of time to get the fill in so your GP would need access to his knowledge if yours should be on its side. No big deal really, it can be corrected easily but I chose not to. Doddie

Hi JAC

I live in Calgary and was Banded by Dr Ortiz Feb 11th last week .How do I claim back from AB health?? Should I have asked for a reciept etc from the OCC? ?

Thanks Nicole

Hi JAC

I live in Calgary and was Banded by Dr Ortiz Feb 11th last week .How do I claim back from AB health?? Should I have asked for a reciept etc from the OCC??

Thanks Nicole

I will PM you the infomation.

Andrew

Hi JAC

I live in Calgary and was Banded by Dr Ortiz Feb 11th last week .How do I claim back from AB health?? Should I have asked for a reciept etc from the OCC??

Thanks Nicole

Nicole,

I know Andrew sent you a private e-mail with all the information. If you have more questions, let me know. Also, consider joining our Calgary Lapbanders Yahoo group. We try to get together every once in a while and it is good support for each other.

Julie C

Nov 6/06

258/192/158

I was banded by Dr Ortiz in Mexico in Novemeber. He is an excellent Dr and woudl highly recomnd him.

I have since had my fill done in Auburn Washington and have NO regrets.

Travelling 2 hours to get to them ievein in an emergency is probably quicker than seeing a Dr in the emergency room at LGH!

Yes a two hour wait may be a LGH or any other hospital but what if you have serious band issues and have to be hospitalized. the band is for life, you won't always be in good health to travel to the states and don't count on the medical in Canada to help out. They take the position that if you are in a hospital bed in the states, you won't get priority here. But as I don't know your financial stability maybe you can pay $100,000 per day in the states. My choice and recommendation is to stay in Canada where you get health care for life not matter how serious because I don't have the resources to pay my own way. Insurance remember does not pay for related issues or if anything in your health has changed and a fill is a change. Also again, most insurance companies expect you to pay up front then apply for refunds. Too scarey for me to go to a foreign land, good luck to you. Doddie