Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico for a Canadian

We live in Blaine, Washington in the summer, Arizona in the winter. My daughter lives near Tacoma. She, my husband and I are all Mexico bandsters. I know there are fill doctors around Vancouver, plus there is a clinic for fills in Arlington, WA. We had very good experiences in Mexico.

I would personally consider Mexico a very viable option despite having mine done in Canada. My wife is considering having the band and I would not hesitate to visit one of the more reputable clinics like Dr.Ortiz.

Andrew

I know many people have had excellent results in Mexico.

One of the most important things you have to consider if you go elsewhere for surgery, is aftercare.

Certainly you can save money initially by going to Mexico....just make sure you have someone in place to do your fills locally.

I was banded in April at TLBC - and have been back to them 9 times for fills (including one defill) so far. I anticipate going back for another tweek in the next few weeks, so proximity to aftercare is key.

Honestly, if you live in BC you need to think long and hard before you go elsewhere to be banded and this is why...

When I was researching where to get my band (was contemplating Dr.Kirschenbaum in Colorado cuz he's reasonably priced) I found out that there are only TWO doctors in the lower mainland Vancouver area. One of which will NOT do any other surgeons fills PERIOD (Dr.Leung) and as far as I know my surgeon (Dr.Woodhead) does not do them as well - he may but you have to have a consult of which he will then determine if he will - but if he won't now you're stuck with a band and no one to fill it. Alternately, you would have to drive to Washington to get fills and it's not cheap there you are looking at $150-200 per fill.

My 2 cents - go to one of the two vancouver surgeons - my surgeon, Dr.Woodhead in Delta for example, charges $14000.00 for the surgery anda $400 consult fee intitially HOWEVER he does not charge for the cost of fills or defills etc. All aftercare is covered.

So if you do decide to go out of country - make sure you have your fill place lined up first. As aftercare is the most important.

Also - note this comment posted by Doddie in another thread:

"Right on Alex R. After care is vital. I know as I live out in BC. No fill nurse or doctor will do fills for other clinic's patients. As a favor to my surgeon, a local surgeon is now taking care of me but I was in a real panic. Also, don't forget there are side affects you could experience such as erosion, slippage, flipped port, stuck food. You need to get to get a fluro or defill quickly. How quick could you get to Mexico? Some Colleges of P&S are dithering on whether or not GPs should do fills as a result, many GPs are declining to do the fills. So think twice no three times before going out of the Country just to save a few "bob".

Doddie"

Hi, I live in bc and and after months of research, my friend and I are going to Mexico on the 27th of feb.

we are so excited to be going. we are spending 2 nights in the hospital and 2 nights in a hotel near by.

one of the reasons we are going to mexico is we are self pay it is only 6800 in mexico and 14,k in vcr. There is one person in vcr that I spoke with and she goes to arlington wash for fills and it was no problem. as we live close to the boarder this is the route for fills that we are going to take.

good luck with your research and decision.

Hi: Angi thanks for telling it like it is. Washington State sounds wonderful and I do know two individuals that go down there. However, if you have any type of health issues such as HB pressure, medical travel insurance will not cover you. You buy the coverage but they will only pay out on physical injuries. So you could find your self in a foreign country and be bankrupted if you take ill. Also, what if you get stuck and are in severe pain. What then. Who do you call? Getting stuck happens frequently and sometimes if you have a loose fill, you can puke it out but sometimes you have to have an emergency defill. Then what? Don't forget the band and its care is for life.

It may be exciting to go to Mexico or wherever, but reality will soon set in. Good luck in your decision. We have tried to point out all the downside but yes, you are the one that has to make the final decision and I wish you well. Please come to the LGH for support meetings. You will be welcome. Doddie

I got my band in Canada in July 07,

I have had 9 fills to date, not had considerable weight loss like everyone else in the same time line....because I keep losing the FILL...

Suspected leak, so that being said I MAY have to have a re-surgery to replace the malfuntioning BAND.

THIS WILL BE COVERED by my Surgeon... he will do all fills, and emergencies for life... this was included in the price $16,000

I did contemplate Mexico too initially, then I thought gee what about fills and aftercare??? Its a long way to go if you have problems...

And the problems are RARE... but still you must think of every possibility.

Is your Mexico Dr. going to look after you for life??? probably not, even if they are top notch surgeons (many have Excellent reps. so I am not dissing them really)

So consider very carefully before you take the plunge.

Bandster life is the way to go for me, even with the setbacks that I've had.

I was 240, 199 at surg. date, now 184.... but being left to my own devices (and lack of will power)

I could easily have EATEN my way back up to 240 in 6 mos... I am being honest... I have regained my weight each time I dieted... Diets just don't work for the long haul.... And I am NEVER going to go thru this diet bullsh_t ever again.

Good luck to you in what ever you decide.

:thumbdown:

I live in Calgary and was banded by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. It was a great experience for me. I have now lost 65 pounds, and although it has been slower than what I wanted, I can not complain about now being considered just overweight as opposed to morbidly obese.

I chose Mexico because it is much closer in proximity to me than Toronto and because I had a surgeon lined up here to do after care. I knew that if there were any problems following surgery, the surgeons here could look after me. They are limited in the number of lapband surgeries they can do, but the aftercare is provided privately, meaning that we pay for each fill. If we needed to have a revision or replacement surgery, it would then be covered by Alberta Health Care.

I chose Dr. Ortiz after investigating many clinics and doctors. I actually called to the maker of the band and asked questions. Unfortunately because of legal issued, the band maker could not answer many questions except to say that Dr. Ortiz was a licensed band surgeon and had been a proctoring doctor for many years. I figured that is he had been teaching other doctors how to install the band that his skill level must be pretty good.

I also looked at how much money you would get back from Alberta Health Care. You get back almost twice as much from AHC if you go to Mexico than to Toronto. I know that is not a great reason, but it did make it more cost effective. The clinic there also includes all your hotel costs, so the only thing I had to pay for was food (not much since you are on shakes prior to surgery and Clear liquids following) and my air fare.

Check out Lap Band Surgery in Mexico - Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center for more information.

Julie C

Nov 6/06

Dr. Ortiz, Mexico

258/193/150

I had my surgery in Tijauna Mexico by Dr Kuri. I have absolutely no regrets. The doctors were very professional and have much experience and the facility was super being brand new two years ago.

I had my surgery in Tijauna Mexico by Dr Kuri. I have absolutely no regrets. The doctors were very professional and have much experience and the facility was super being brand new two years ago.

I'm curious - do you live in BC?

I don't knock going to Mexico at all - I don't have a doubt in my mind that they wouldnt be VERY capable surgeons with great facilities. BUT that being said - if you do live in BC just be prepared to have to possibly search long and hard or cross the border to get fills if you go out of Province for surgery. There are to my knowledge 2 (maybe 3 - one on the island) doctors in BC that do Lapbands/aftercare and they do not/will not take others patients (as stated in other posts) unless some sort of fill clinic has opened somewhere that I am unaware of. Sure you could go to Everett or Arlington WA for fills but what happens if you get stuck and need a defill asap (emergency even) you're going to have to deal with the whole crossing the border issues and what if for whatever reason they dont let you cross? All things to keep in mind, if you are willing to deal with those chances then best of luck in Mexico. Just be sure you arent sacrificing your health in aftercare to save a few bucks from the start. :mad: