Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico for a Canadian

Hi Julie, I am in Airdrie and going to Dr. Ortiz with my girlfriend on September 8th - who do you see for fills? I have a friend who goes to Dr. Mitchell but doesn't care for him due to a couple of unpleasant fill experiences in the office. I know of someone who goes to Dr. Botha and adores him - do you have any advice?

Also, is there anything more you can tell me about your experience with Dr. Ortiz and the clinic - really, anything at all about your whole experience would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Sincerely

Jenny

One other thing, I also lived in Airdrie when I went to see Dr. Ortiz. Last fall we moved to Calgary.

Also wanted to mention one other thing. I had a goal when I got to the category of just being "overweight" that I wanted to start my own business. Well, I resigned April 30 and have now started my own home and auto insurance brokerage. I don't think my boss would have cheered me on to lose weight if she would have known I was going to quit.

I can't believe how much more confidence I have and I feel like I can be a successful business woman. Always before I felt like I could not be successful in business because I could not be successful at losing weight. Now I feel like I can conquer the world.

Julie

Julie, awesome to hear from you! Could you please give me more information on the May 9th meeting as I am very interested in coming!

It's Friday, May 9, 5:30 pm, at Open Sesame, 6920 Macleod Tr S. We usually all order what ever we want, or share whatever we want, and then just visit for a couple hours. Nothing really formal. The person who has been banded the longest I think was done in September 2006 and we have people who are newly banded and still on liquids, people who have not been banded who are investigating, and all stages in between. We welcome anyone who comes. There are no size 4's among us, so we tend to be pretty noticeable. Both you and your friend would be very welcome.

Julie

Hi Julie, unfortunately I won't be able to make this Friday's meeting but will joing the Yahoo Group and my g/f and I will definitely make a meeting at a later date - that would be awesome!

Julie, is there anything you recommend we bring with us?

I went to Dr. Ortiz as well and highly recommend him and his team. They are very skilled and seem to really care about what they do. No worries! You are very lucky to get a partial refund, here in BC we are on our own.

bandiva: Did you know you can claim you band on Income Tax? I am from BC and telephoned CRA and was told it is a deduction and where to find it on the tax form.

bandiva: Did you know you can claim you band on Income Tax? I am from BC and telephoned CRA and was told it is a deduction and where to find it on the tax form.

Doddie,do you just claim it under Medical expenses or is there a specific thing? I will need to know for when I file next year.

Thanks!

Yes you claim it under medical expenses. If you go to the CRA websie and type in medical expenses, it will explain which line to claim the surgery and pre and post op expenses. Be sure and document everything. If you get an accountant to do it for you probably will be easier. We are trying to do it on our own so will see what happens this year. There is a clause that states a claimant must justify why they could not get their surgery closest to home. I went to Toronto, so I think the band will be allowed but I am not sure about parking and travel costs. We shall have to wait and see.

At the time I got mine, I was not aware of Dr. W or Dr. L and local GP did not know of anyone doing the band but did gastric bypass. We have been advised to appeal if turned down.

How are you doing living with the band?

Thanks for the info! I'll keep my eye out for filing next year. I don't bother to track my mileage to Dr.W for my fills .. not sure why lol just lazy I guess but I'm going to claim the surgery itself for sure!

I'm doing pretty good with my band, I have my good and bad food days and that seems to be the biggest struggle for me lately - making good food choices but other than that, I wouldnt trade it for the world :)

PS Read you blog. Don't worry about the weight gain. As you record your weight, you will see your body's pattern for weight loss.

IE. My weight is less at the start of the month and as the month goes by, I gradually gain weight. Then at the start of the next month, I am down to the original weight plus some. Never fails. I have kept weekly records since pre op days. Seems my body likes to replace the fat with Water. Don't know the science of it all, but I think you will find how your body treats weight loss.

The secret is to keep upbeat and don't let the scales get you down. I find I have to weigh weekly even though I know I will show a gain. This keeps me trying even harder. Good luck

Edited by Doddie63
typo

PS Read you blog. Don't worry about the weight gain. As you record your weight, you will see your body's pattern for weight loss.

IE. My weight is less at the start of the month and as the month goes by, I gradually gain weight. Then at the start of the next month, I am down to the original weight plus some. Never fails. I have keep weekly records since pre op days. Seems my body likes to replace the fat with Water. Don't know the science of it all, but I think you will find how your body treats weight loss.

The secret is to keep upbeat and don't let the scales get you down. I find I have to weight weekly even though I know I will show a gain. This keeps me trying even harder. Good luck

Thanks Doddie! Your encouragement is always much appreciated. I have started to notice that I can go weeks without much happening -maybe a lb or two up or down and then it's like BLAM 6 lbs or whatnot I think that's going to be how things go for me for some reason. It's better than no weight loss! I too have to weigh every week just to keep in track (I actually weigh myself almost everyday but official weigh day is only once a week).

Thanks again for the encouraing words :) *hugs*

What health insurance travel insurance did you have? Health insurance if some thing went wrought ! THank you Louise

two by two: For me when I went to Toronto, I had the Canadian MSA to cover me. I did not leave the Country. I was never in fear that if something went wrong I would not be looked after.

Ah, a like mind. I also chose to go to Dr. Ortiz after much research. I live just west of Edmonton, AB.

I am very interested in the information you seem to have re: repayment from Alberta Health Care. Can you fill me in on how you achieved that and also, if you don't mind, who you are seeing for after care in Calgary.

I was banded on Aug. 4th, so I am still on liquids, but overall, feel like a million bucks. Only lost 20 pounds so far, 12 on my own, pre-op, but haven't been hungry yet.

Thanks for any help you offer. Maureen

I live in Calgary and was banded by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. It was a great experience for me. I have now lost 65 pounds, and although it has been slower than what I wanted, I can not complain about now being considered just overweight as opposed to morbidly obese.

I chose Mexico because it is much closer in proximity to me than Toronto and because I had a surgeon lined up here to do after care. I knew that if there were any problems following surgery, the surgeons here could look after me. They are limited in the number of lapband surgeries they can do, but the aftercare is provided privately, meaning that we pay for each fill. If we needed to have a revision or replacement surgery, it would then be covered by Alberta Health Care.

I chose Dr. Ortiz after investigating many clinics and doctors. I actually called to the maker of the band and asked questions. Unfortunately because of legal issued, the band maker could not answer many questions except to say that Dr. Ortiz was a licensed band surgeon and had been a proctoring doctor for many years. I figured that is he had been teaching other doctors how to install the band that his skill level must be pretty good.

I also looked at how much money you would get back from Alberta Health Care. You get back almost twice as much from AHC if you go to Mexico than to Toronto. I know that is not a great reason, but it did make it more cost effective. The clinic there also includes all your hotel costs, so the only thing I had to pay for was food (not much since you are on shakes prior to surgery and Clear Liquids following) and my air fare.

Check out Lap Band Surgery in Mexico - Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center for more information.

Julie C

Nov 6/06

Dr. Ortiz, Mexico

258/193/150