Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico for a Canadian

I just don't have the money period. I know what it's all for but It's just not possible/ By the way where in ont do you live? I'm in Haliburton. The person you found in North Bay, who is it? Thanks

The person is North Bay is affiliated with the SWLC and will not do fills for any other patients from any other surgeons. They take the time to recruit these people and train them so why should they do other patients. My surgeon is always on the look out to find fill people all over the country to accomodate his patients. All I can is that I would think twice about going out of country, mostly because of the follow up that is required. I know I can move virtually anwhere in Canada and my clinic has a fill person not too far away. And if I have a major band issue, I can return to Toronto in no time flat and have my band surgeon fix me up.

If you do choose to go out of country, make sure you have your follow up arranged before you get the band or you will be making numerous trips back to Mexico. If you can find a doctor or nurse that is willing to tak you on as patient to do fills/unfills, then at least you have that much available to you right here. If you have to put off being banded until you find that person or until you have enough funds to have it done closer to home, then I'd do that. I'm not against out of country at all, it's just that you have to ensure you have good follow up people in place here.

Edited by so done with it all

Great post susieq. I sure hope people read this that are contemplating going out of country. There has been so many posts praising the Mexican clinics but very little information on the downside. Desparate people need all the information they can get including the negatives to make informed decisions.

Well it seems the cat is out of the bag.

First off, I dont want the fact that I have been setting up this company to help people who are seeking Lapband else where to undo all good will that I have built up here. It does not change the fact that I have lost 140lbs, and am now close to considering myself at goal. It does not change the fact that I have helped people, and have been helped by people here. I came to a point in my life after losing all my weight when I realized that in many cases it was not my weight that was making me unhappy, but also my current career. I felt is was time for a change, and this opportunity presented itself so I took it. If someone can fault me for doing that, then so be it.

Yes, I am working with Dr. Ortiz, but you dont know everything that lead up to that, so please dont think that my opinion is totally biased. You dont know the goings on with other clinics and what transpired with them time will tell which other clinics are on board.

I agree that people should research clinics. I think that most people who have done thier research will find that Dr. Ortiz's clinic near the top.

The reason why I have not made a post to the effect of what I am doing is that I would like to keep my posting here and my business seperate. I know it may be impossible, but I am going to try.

Please note what Julie (JAC) is talking about is a conversation that I had with her regarding my gas pains vs, her gas pains. If it will help progress the conversation here I will ask Dr. Ortiz when I am at the clinic tomorrow.

Here is what I know of the operations that I have been seen. Please note that this is only what I know of Dr. Ortiz and I cant speak for any other doctor. I have only been present for 3 Lapband surgeries, and I was only awake for 2 of them. The patient is somewhat reclined almost like that are laid back in a Lazy boy. When I asked Dr. Ortiz about gas, he mentioned that he does not use as much gas as some other doctors.

I will report more on this tomorrow.

Now, you have all read my comments earlier in this post, and they all hold true. I dont think it benefits anyone to pit bandsters against one another just because of where they were banded. I agree that people need to make their own decisions, and they need to research what is right for them.

Finally, I think that it is safe to say that gas pain is individual for everyone, just like the lapband is individual for everyone. Some people are fast losers some people are slow losers. Some people get it bad, some people dont we are all individual.

With that being said, here is my web site. Medical Edge Weight Loss Group . I figure since I was called out here I should at least be able to show you all what I have been working towards.

Andrew

Actually Andrew, I didn't out you so you could advertise your new venture in a patient based forum. I outed you because JAC said you were the only one that had a right to comment on Mexico and Canada since you have been to both. Your first post was already a sales pitch and that's why I looked into it further. It was far too obvious to me that you were now whoring yourself out to Dr. Ortiz to speak so highly of him and his clinic. It was very easy to find your link on this website and then I had proof right there that my gut instincts were correct.

You said you wanted to keep your personal from your business yet you throw your link out there and basically advertise again. As one poster said in the CIBO thread where Nisrine made her sales pitch about her new job in her new clinic that it was unethical, the same stands for you. If you really wanted to keep the 2 separate, you could have simply stated, yes I do now have a referral agency and left it at that.

This place is getting to be a real joke and they seem to be allowing self-promoting advertising within the patient support forums. What a shame!!

Good Post. I for one will continue to warn people of the downside of going out of Country and the importance of doing research past the reputation of the surgeon and clinic. Aftercare information is vital and ensuring after care is enshrined in the coverage is just as vital. As this link has shown, people that tend to bully me into keeping quiet are representative of clinics from out of country. The average joe reads my posts, takes or leave it as their choice but at least they have more information to work on. Doddie

I just had my re-vision band surgery this a.m.

I had a leak in my port tubing (needle prick) and Dr. Yau fixed it today. General anesthetic (Dr. Talmeiter is awesome) no pain, no nausea... I had a 5 hour sleep once I got home and now feel great.

I especially feel great because it was done in Canada by my original Doctor for free. Part of the LIFETIME follow up care..

I don't think another thing needs to be said.

Peaches. Your post will help many I am sure. Sure glad you are doing ok. What is a "general". Don't you go to sleep just as you did when the band was inserted around your stomach?

Doddie

Wow Peaches. I am so glad that you got that problem figured out and fixed. Cute dig but good point. Take care of yourself.

Peaches. Your post will help many I am sure. Sure glad you are doing ok. What is a "general". Don't you go to sleep just as you did when the band was inserted around your stomach?

Doddie

We are referring to the same thing. Being put to sleep is General Anesthetic... same as when I had my band initially input.

Actually when I went into the OR I didn't know if I was getting a whole new band(ie if the leak was coming from the band itself) or if I was getting my port Tubing replaced( it was the later). So I still hav e 5 poke hole incisions to heal up and some bruises today. But my HUBBY said Dr. Yau was out into the waiting room in 20 mins. done. So I wasn't out that long.

Feeliing great today, just a wee bit of tenderness around my port incision.

Wow Peaches. I am so glad that you got that problem figured out and fixed. Cute dig but good point. Take care of yourself.[/quote

How are you doing Donna D? I havn't heard much from you lately... is the scale moving for you??? Any luncheons planned?

I just had my re-vision band surgery this a.m.

I had a leak in my port tubing (needle prick) and Dr. Yau fixed it today. General anesthetic (Dr. Talmeiter is awesome) no pain, no nausea... I had a 5 hour sleep once I got home and now feel great.

I especially feel great because it was done in Canada by my original Doctor for free. Part of the LIFETIME follow up care..

I don't think another thing needs to be said.

Peaches you are so right about TLBC.... speed recovery and take it easy

Heather

Hi Julie, I am in Airdrie and going to Dr. Ortiz with my girlfriend on September 8th - who do you see for fills? I have a friend who goes to Dr. Mitchell but doesn't care for him due to a couple of unpleasant fill experiences in the office. I know of someone who goes to Dr. Botha and adores him - do you have any advice?

Also, is there anything more you can tell me about your experience with Dr. Ortiz and the clinic - really, anything at all about your whole experience would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Sincerely

Jenny

Hi Julie, I am in Airdrie and going to Dr. Ortiz with my girlfriend on September 8th - who do you see for fills? I have a friend who goes to Dr. Mitchell but doesn't care for him due to a couple of unpleasant fill experiences in the office. I know of someone who goes to Dr. Botha and adores him - do you have any advice?

Also, is there anything more you can tell me about your experience with Dr. Ortiz and the clinic - really, anything at all about your whole experience would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Sincerely

Jenny

Jenny,

I know you will have a great time. The clinic is so clean and modern and they make you feel like a queen. Dr. Ortiz is very outgoing and is very skilled. My surgery was about 3 times as long as other people's as I had a giant hiatal hernia with my stomach adhered in many places. They figured I had had the hernia for more than 25 years or that it was a birth defect. Those types do not just develop. Sliding hernias are very common and if you have one, they will fix it and most of the time only require a stitch or two and less than five extra minutes.

Flying back I had to go through Vancouver and I asked for wheel chair assistance as I new there would be no way I could pick up my luggage and clear it through customs by myself. The day before my surgery I did some sight seeing / shopping. The first day back at the hotel I also went to costco (it is right across the street from the clinic, you'll be able to see it out the window of your room).

Dr. Ortiz's mom works as the patient advocate at the clinic. She is extremely nice and will answer any questions you ask her. She will pick you up at the hotel and then will take you back the day following the surgery.

As far as claiming money back from Alberta Health Care, if you go to their website, under forms, you will find one for out of country claims. You need to complete the form and send it in with an itemized receipt. It takes about 8 weeks to get the refund. It is nice to get a little bit back. Anything that they do not pay, as well as hotel, flight, food, and any other expenses are also claimable on your year-end taxes.

Fill doctors - I go to see Dr. Descoteaux as I also heard not good things about Dr. Mitchell and I wasn't fond of his receptionist on the one day I called his office. I do know that Dr. Botha has made arrangements with Dr. Ortiz to do all of his patients as Dr. Ortiz has agreed to make any revisions, corrections, replacements, etc. if anything should happen. I have never heard anything but wonderful comments about Dr. Botha, so he would be a good choice. Dr. Botha is at Glenmore and Macleod and Dr. Descoteaux works from Peter Lougheed Hospital. Since you are in Airdrie, the PLC would be closer, but on Deerfoot, Glenmore is not that hard to get to either.

Consider joining our Calgary lapbanders group in Yahoo Groups. We have a great time just talking about issues that concern us. We have regular get togethers, about every 6 weeks. Our next get together is on May 9 at 5:30 at Open Sesame on Macleod Trail. You are more than welcome to attend and just hear from everyone as we are all at various stages of the journey. It is very encouraging to hear everyone's story and it helps keep us all on track.

As far as the weight loss goes, they say that the band is supposed to help you lose about 80% of your excess weight. I had about 100 pounds of excess weight, and so far I have lost 71, so I am getting close to the 80%. I have not been as fast as many other people, but I am sure happy being considered just "overweight" as opposed to "mobidly obese."

Julie C

258/187/158

Nov 6/06

Dr. Ortiz