Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastic Surgery Terms for Weight Loss Patients

Originally I was going to go to Mexico for mine. but I went to a lecture and saw the results of a patient (total body lift- but i'm not going to do all that) and was very impressed. He doesnt advertise as much as some of them do but you might want to consider him too. He is in Huntington Beach: Dr. Tavoussi. 714 596 2660. My surgeon, Dr. Owens recommends him and I trust my surgeon very much. Good luck to you too!

I'd like to add what I was told last week, from my surgery site. They have been following me since 2005 with lumps in my breast. Nothing significant is showing, I have large fiberous breasts and they have lumps. Just when a new lump shows up, I get a mammo, to be safe. Anyway, I was told that if I tell my doctor when I have rashes under my stomach flap and they note it in my records, that will be a plus for a Tummy Tuck.

Have a good day...

Its a leg lift and the info you were given is incorrect.

I've spent the better part of two months looking up all the plastics info because of the pain in my back. Theory is my weight loss redistributed my body fat which now disturbs an area of my back with a bulging disc, compressed vertabrae...and so on.

Meanwhile, here is what I found:

For the sagging skin at the tummy that hangs down, that piece of skin is called the "pannus". Having it removed is called a panniculectomy.

Clinical coverage: Determination of medical necessity for panniculectomy on a combintation of clinical data and the presence of indicators will effect the risks to benefits of this procedure.

Example: Patient has a substantial weight loss, stable for atleast six months. The panniculus causes a chronic and persistant skin condition. The panniculus hangs to or below the level of the symphis pubis.

* Skin conditions are those embarrassing smelly wetness that happens where the pannus rubs against your pelvic area. I'm sure some of you have heard of the white substance called "FROM-UNDA CHEESE":rolleyes:

Documentation of any problems pertinent to the diagnosis, including any interference with mobility or activities of daily living. (ADL)

Here is what I found on the definition of Medically Necessary:

Medically Necessary health care services are deamed by a Physician, using prudent clinical judgement, for preventing, evaluating, diagnosing or treating an illness, injury, disease or its symptons, and that are in accordance with acceptable medical practice; they are clinically appropriate, in terms of type, frequency, extent, site and duration and considered effective for the patient's illness, injury or disease and not primarily for the convenience of the patient, physician or other health care provider and not more costly than an alternative service or sequence of services at least as likely to produce equivalent therapeutic or diagnostic results as to the diagnosis or treatment of the patient's illness, injury or disease.

So bottom line is it isn't that your insurance doesn't cover it, it's that it may not have been deemed "medically necessary."

What is a beneficial thing is to be your own physician's ASSISTANT. By that I mean, take pictures when you have a rash down there or go to the doctor.

If you can't sit comfortably for more than fifteen minutes, if you find it difficult to use a public toilet because the skin falls down and you get a chemical burn on the pannus (what I did from the cleansers used), if you get pimples or blisters down under....take pictures, or go to the doctor.

These are the kinds of things that adversely effect your life. I don't believe any reasonable physician would expect someone to go the rest of their life dragging this piece of flesh along with them and putting lotion on, blow drying underneath it, using a towel to absorb the moisture...all the things that people do to go on with life and the extra folds of flesh.

I believe failing to communicate ALL of the things that have been medical problems is a big influence on many adverse medical decisions.

Procedures:

ARM LIFT (Brachioplasty)

The best candidates for a brachioplasty are men or women who are in relatively good shape but are bothered by loose arm skin that won't respond to diet or exercise. The surgery is particularly helpful to individuals who have lost a significant amount of weight through diet and exercise alone or with a gastric bypass procedure and are left with an excessive amount of loose skin and fat under their arms. The surgery is also helpful for individuals who desire better contouring of their under arm region.

Patients who intend to lose a lot of weight should postpone the surgery. Patients who have underwent a gastric bypass should wait at least six months after their weight has stabilized. Poor healing of the skin is most likely to affect smokers, so smokers must quit at least one month prior to surgery and refrain from smoking at least one month after the surgery.

Incisions and Scars in Arm Lift:

Scars are the greatest drawback of this operation. They will extend from the armpit to the elbow, along the inside of the arm. This operation exchanges one cosmetic problem (loose skin) for another (scars). In general, those with very loose saggy skin are most likely to find this exchange worthwhile. Those with a small amount of looseness will probably not want the scars.

Source: Lakewood Ranch Plastic Surgery - Sarasota & Bradenton, Florida

BREAST PROCEDURES: Help to correct breast drooping (called ptosis) and loss of volume by adding fullness and lift.

Breast Lift (Mastopexy)

Breastlift is a surgical procedure intended to correct a drooping bust line, raise and reshape sagging breasts. Over the years, factors such as pregnancy, nursing, excessive weight loss or gain and the force of gravity cause a woman’s breasts to lose their natural elasticity. Breasts may lose their shape and firmness and begin to sag or hang. During the procedure, excess skin and tissue are trimmed away and the bustline is tightened and lifted. Breast Lift can also reduce the size of the areola, the darker skin surrounding the nipple. If your breasts are small or have lost volume--for example, after pregnancy--breast implants inserted in conjunction with a breast lift can increase both their firmness and their size.

BREAST AUGMENTATION

Breast Augmentation:

Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure to enhance the size and shape of a woman's breasts. There are many reasons to choose breast augmentation:

The best candidates for breast augmentation are women who are looking for improvement, not perfection, in the way they look. If you're physically healthy and realistic in your expectations, you may be a good candidate. Poor healing of the skin is most likely to affect smokers, so smokers must quit at least one month prior to surgery and refrain from smoking at least one month after the surgery.

Breast Lift (Mastopexy)

Breastlift is a surgical procedure intended to correct a drooping bust line, raise and reshape sagging breasts. Over the years, factors such as pregnancy, nursing, excessive weight loss or gain and the force of gravity cause a woman’s breasts to lose their natural elasticity. Breasts may lose their shape and firmness and begin to sag or hang. During the procedure, excess skin and tissue are trimmed away and the bustline is tightened and lifted. Breast Lift can also reduce the size of the areola, the darker skin surrounding the nipple. If your breasts are small or have lost volume--for example, after pregnancy--breast implants inserted in conjunction with a breast lift can increase both their firmness and their size.

Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia)

Male breast overdevelopment, known medically as “gynecomastia,” is a very common condition affecting an estimated 40 to 60 percent of all men to some degree. Though certain drugs and medical conditions have been linked with Gynecomastia, there is no known cause in most cases.

For men who feel self-conscious about their appearance, breast-reduction surgery can help. The procedure removes fat and or glandular tissue from the breasts, and in extreme cases removes excess skin, resulting in a chest that is flatter, firmer, and better contoured.

SOURCE: Lakewood Ranch Plastic Surgery - Sarasota & Bradenton, Florida

Abdominoplasty

(tummy tuck)

Eliminates excess skin and tightens muscles in the abdominal wall. The skin is pulled down, to achieve a flatter appearance, and the excess is cut away. If a hernia is present, it may be repaired at the same time. This procedure can also benefit a patient after pregnancy to remove unwanted skin.

Lower Body Lift

Flattens the abdomen and flanks by removing excess fat and skin and tightening muscles of abdominal wall. It also lifts the thighs and buttocks.

Procedure: Flatten abdomen and flanks by removing excess fat and skin and tightening muscles of abdominal wall. Lifts thighs and buttocks.

The best candidates for a lower body lift are men or women who are in relatively good shape but are bothered by a large fat deposit or loose abdominal skin that won't respond to diet or exercise. The surgery is particularly helpful to individuals who have lost a significant amount of weight through diet and exercise alone or with a gastric bypass procedure and are left with an excessive amount of loose skin and fat around the lower abdomen, hips and buttocks. The surgery is also helpful for individuals who desire better contouring of their lower abdomen, outer hips and buttocks.

Medial Thigh Lift

Can lift the inner thighs and remove wrinkling and excess bagginess of the thighs.

With only mild skin and fat excess confined to the inner thigh region and good skin elasticity, you may be a candidate for a minimal incision approach. As the preoperative condition worsens in severity, the incisions required to obtain proper correction must be larger. For the most severe type of hanging skin conditions, a circumferential incision may be required.

Combining surgeries:

Sometimes procedures can be combined in one operation which reduces total recovery time and cost. For example, a Tummy Tuck is often combined with liposuction and/or a breast lift (with or without implants). However, safety is of utmost importance and total duration under anesthesia is a key factor in making any decision about combining procedures. During a consultation with Dr. Kreithen, your own anatomy is assessed, as well as your priorities, and then a complete plan is created for total body contouring. Some procedures may be covered by medical insurance.

Source: Lakewood Ranch Plastic Surgery - Sarasota & Bradenton, Florida

There are also other sources:

The American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons (ASBPS) - Bariatric ...

Organization of board-certified Plastic Surgeons who specialize in all aspects ... The American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons | Executive Offices 1540 ...

www.asbps.org

Body Contouring After Major Weight Loss Plastic Surgery Procedure

The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and Plastic Surgery Educational ... Are you a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons? ...

plasticsurgery.org/patients_consumers/procedures/Body-Contouring.cfm

American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)

... Member plastic surgeons are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery ... Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia), Post-Bariatric, Liposuction (Lipoplasty) ...

www.surgery.org

I wanted to find out when do you even go and talk to a plastic surgeon? I talk to one before my surgery and he said he could give it to me because of my excess skin from 4 c-sections but he told me to loose weight first. My question is how much weight do you have to loose before I can have a Tummy Tuck?

I was told recently that certain doctors will remove excessive skin if you donate it to the "burn center" for children. Anyone have knowledge of this?

Bette

My Surgeon says he will not even recommend cosmetic surgery until 2 years after my surgery- and it was just last week! :)

But- he says my skin looks pretty good and to use lots of cocoa butter and olive oil to keep my skin well hydrated and it can "mold" around my new body. I hope so, because I sure don't feel like ever having surgery again!!!

~Stephanie:thumbup:

I was told recently that certain doctors will remove excessive skin if you donate it to the "burn center" for children. Anyone have knowledge of this?

Bette

It's an urban legend. For thing thing, typically cadaver skin is used for burn victims. Our skin is not appropriate for that use.

How do i donate skin to the burn centers? - Yahoo! Answers

Contact Us - Donating Skin after Gastric Bypass Surgery - Saint Barnabas Health Care System

There is one place that says they are collecting donated skin after PS but you still have to pay for the PS yourself and they don't use it for burn victims but for other surgeries.

melting mama - life after weight loss surgery: Donating excess skin?

It's actually illegal to pay for your PS because of the Organ Donor Act which says you can't be paid for organs (skin is an organ).

I have have not yet been banded. I'm getting banded on 12/15. Over the past 6 months I have lost 20 lbs and I have 70 to go. I'm 24 yrs old. And Im curious to know if I'm going to have excess skin that will need to be removed after I lose the weight? I know there is no way of forecasting of whether or not this will be an issue... however I would be interested to hear from people with similar stats on whether or not excess skin was an issue after weight loss.

Hello! I'm also 24, and had the surgery almost 4 years ago now. I'm 120 lbs. down, and feel fabulous. They assured me that my skin would heal itself a lot faster because I'm young, and thus far it's been doing pretty well. I've got a bit of loose skin around my belly that I'd like to take care of, and that's how I wandered into this forum.

Please please get this surgery if you are young. I got it done at 20 and it was the best decision of my life! I am a new person because of it, and probably added another 10 years onto my life. Feel free to e-mail me: rschmeling@discoveryworld.org

hope this helps!

rachel

Hello! I'm also 24, and had the surgery almost 4 years ago now. I'm 120 lbs. down, and feel fabulous. They assured me that my skin would heal itself a lot faster because I'm young, and thus far it's been doing pretty well. I've got a bit of loose skin around my belly that I'd like to take care of, and that's how I wandered into this forum.

Please please get this surgery if you are young. I got it done at 20 and it was the best decision of my life! I am a new person because of it, and probably added another 10 years onto my life. Feel free to e-mail me: rschmeling@discoveryworld.org

hope this helps!

rachel

I hope I will be as lucky as you.

I have alot of stretch marks, and I have a really really think calf ( muscle calf ). Originally a compeititve swimmer, gained from 110ish to 215 (today).

Will be having my surgery this Friday. I doubt my skin can heal on it's own. I'm 23, going to be 24 this year. Seeing so many stretch marks around my stomach area, I am so :thumbup: that it won't heal itself. And my breasts.. got so heavy over the years my breast are hanging down... Sigh. So depressing.

I hope I will be as lucky as you.

I have alot of stretch marks, and I have a really really think calf ( muscle calf ). Originally a compeititve swimmer, gained from 110ish to 215 (today).

Will be having my surgery this Friday. I doubt my skin can heal on it's own. I'm 23, going to be 24 this year. Seeing so many stretch marks around my stomach area, I am so :thumbup: that it won't heal itself. And my breasts.. got so heavy over the years my breast are hanging down... Sigh. So depressing.

I understand this is a scary time for you-- trust me, in that your first week you HAVE to follow the rules, take it easy, and keep those portions small. It'll be a lot easier than you think... I lost 12 lbs. my first week alone and it just starting falling from then. I was VERY doubtful that I was going to lose any weight at all, and then they said "Oh, think 100 lbs. lost, Rachel! You're not just going to lose weight, you're going to be a brand new person!" And I doubted. Then I lost. And my confidence skyrocketed, and I felt like I was released from this prison that I didn't even know I was in.

It's a lot more dramatic of a change for people that are younger--- we put a lot more into our looks I think. Please keep up with the forum, and go to the support groups-- they will help immensely. Even though a lot more people getting the surgery are older (most of the people in my support groups were 40-50 years old), we're all human, and this is a lot easier conquered en masse than alone. Also, look to the support of your family to help you through it-- mine did a lot to help with my Portion Control and push me through the tough times.

I understand this is a scary time for you-- trust me, in that your first week you HAVE to follow the rules, take it easy, and keep those portions small. It'll be a lot easier than you think... I lost 12 lbs. my first week alone and it just starting falling from then. I was VERY doubtful that I was going to lose any weight at all, and then they said "Oh, think 100 lbs. lost, Rachel! You're not just going to lose weight, you're going to be a brand new person!" And I doubted. Then I lost. And my confidence skyrocketed, and I felt like I was released from this prison that I didn't even know I was in.

It's a lot more dramatic of a change for people that are younger--- we put a lot more into our looks I think. Please keep up with the forum, and go to the support groups-- they will help immensely. Even though a lot more people getting the surgery are older (most of the people in my support groups were 40-50 years old), we're all human, and this is a lot easier conquered en masse than alone. Also, look to the support of your family to help you through it-- mine did a lot to help with my Portion Control and push me through the tough times.

*Nodd nodd*

Thankyou for your encouragement !

Now I gotta think "100 pounds louise, I can do it!!" :thumbup:

I'll try to keep up with the forum, just that there's not much ppl in my area, sigh. But I'll try to keep active on the forum!!