Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lapbanders called cheats

Hey there pipedoc,

Firstly just let me say that I wont hold it against you because you ride a Harley!!! ( I ride a Yamaha cruiser).

I know what you are saying about people accepting the lapband news. I have found my husbands mates are far more supportive of my desision to be banded than any of my so called girlfriends...maybe that is a testosterone thing or maybe women that don't support me are just envious themselves.what ever the story I am being banded tomorrow morning and I will not be labeled as a cheat..just a middle aged woman who wants the next decade to be way better than the last 2.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wndOoC3

Hey there pipedoc,

Firstly just let me say that I wont hold it against you because you ride a Harley!!! ( I ride a Yamaha cruiser).

I know what you are saying about people accepting the LAP-BAND®®® news. I have found my husbands mates are far more supportive of my desision to be banded than any of my so called girlfriends...maybe that is a testosterone thing or maybe women that don't support me are just envious themselves.what ever the story I am being banded tomorrow morning and I will not be labeled as a cheat..just a middle aged woman who wants the next decade to be way better than the last 2.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wndOoC3

exactly my point! anyone who has made the decision to get the band has already endured far more than some mindless twit can burden them with. I come from great genetics on both sides of my family, longevity is phenominal. At 41 I still have both Grandmothers alive. One of my grandfather's as well as a Greatgrandfather lived to past 95. Strange as it may be, we have on both sides of my family a tendancy to be very overweight. My one Grandmother @ 96 is only 4'10 but still overweight after being very obeese her whole life, same as my grandfather and both my parents. Cheat? I think not, I think it's just the will to have a better life and the guts to allow modern medicine and science to help play a part. My Mother had the Gastric bypass at age 59. She has lost 160lbs and now @ age 64 enjoy's a lifestyle that has eluded her for 40 years. My father who is also obeese, does not understand why I had the surgery however he is supportive of my choice to do so. Do not allow negitive people to bring you down, they are toxic. Anyone who truly cares for you without a hidden agenda will be supportivef your decisicion to live a better life on your own terms. To borrow a phrase I learned from my stepfather while he battled cancer "It's not about living, it's about the quality of my life". I choose to use modern technology as a way to help improve my life and anyone who say's any different can get outta my way. I know there will be many battle's fought, but I have already won the first couple. I've been a fighter all my life, now I am just fighting to improve it. Oh yea, about that Yamaha don't worry, I had a couple of them back when I was a kid. It's not what you ride so much the fact that you ride. Good luck with your surgery and keep it real, Doc.:thumbup:

Well, I guess that I am one of the lucky bandsters. I have told many people about my surgery and I have had nothing but positive comments. I've had 2 people tell me that they didn't really consider me heavy enough to require surgery. They were both just being honest, yet kind.

I have really used my experience to educate others. Most people I've talked with are really only familiar w/ gastric bypass. They really don't know much about the band. When I explain to them how the band works and what a fill consists of, they have plenty of questions to ask. I make sure to stress that losing 1-2 lbs per week is the ideal goal and that I can eat pretty much anything that I can tolerate. I can only eat very small portions and I have to watch my caloric intake (aka slider foods) just like anyone else on a diet. I also let them know that exercise is a crucial part of being a successful bandster.

I was banded on 6/8/09 and as of today, I've lost 50+ pounds. I won't know my true loss until 11/6 when I go for my fourth fill. I don't have a scale in the house b/c I was becoming too obsessed with it.

Good luck with your journey :cursing:

Woo hoo! this cheater just came from a unexpected weigh in at the Doctors office. Pickles123 here on the fourm was gracious enough to tell me of a class tonight that I then attended. After the class I got to weigh in and I have lost 16.5 lbs in 2 weeks since my surgery! So they wanna call me a cheater,go for it! I would rather think of myself as either a loser....or a winner! all in how ya view it!

Usually the reason that they call you cheaters is because there jealous themselves because they can't have it and really how is it cheating when your going to be able to keep off the weight instead of gaining it back like you would if you where using a fad? I hardly call that cheating

Hi

I am three days post op - and now that I have discovered this site and read this thread, I am glad that I haven't told all and sundry - only my partner, my sister and my two best girlfriends. Because I also had a hernia repaired at the same time, I have been easily able to explain my absence from work, and my admission to hospital. My biggest concerns about telling people are a)that I feel enough of a failure already for allowing myself to have reached the weight and poor health that I have, without having to deal with people's negative comments, and :sad: that I don't want to be under constant scrutiny for what I eat or what exercise I undertake. This is my life and my weightloss journey, and I will do it my way.

I know that if I don't do something about my weight and my health soon, I won't make 55 (I will be 50 in a few weeks) - so this is it. I've lost the first 6.5kg with the two week Optifast prep and the last couple of post of days, and I know I am on the way to the new me.

May my next half century be fitter, healthier and happier than the last:smile2:

Good luck on your journey all you fellow bandsters!

Sue

when you are banded you have to be pretty anal about what you eat, measuring , exercise, you are accountable to the band or it will punish you... you have to check in with your dr. all for the massive success, it is a lifetime commitment not a fad diet ... So how could that be cheating???? I have had to "educate" a few people and let them know about the preop and post op life.... the majority of the response is .... "wow I could NEVER do that , how are you doing it?, or I don't know how you are doing it!!!" Yeah and I am a cheater!?? what is up with that!!!!????

lap banders getting called cheaters??what a joke!!!!like to see them go through what we have been through.the first time i went under the surgeon pulled out n didnt finish because she was worried about damaging my liver.The second time i went under she finally got the band in because i had lost 10kg.Now ive still got another 15 days of injections of heparin so i dont develop blood clots.Everyone knows how hard it is to start off with the band in the first few weeks and other people sit in judgement of us??who died n made them god???

next time someone calls you a cheat just say yeah I am a cheat Im cheating death!

I've been fairly open about it (I didn't post it on Facebook :tongue2: LOL!!!) but to anyone that got smart with me about it being cheating... I would probably just be honest and say "Yeah, I thought that at one point until I learned about what it is and what it does... I know I could have lost the weight by myself without it, as I have done MANY times, but I always gain it back because I go back to eating the way I always did... and now, I won't!"

And while I totally admire the Biggest Losers, I sometimes wonder if they won't resort to their bad habits too. They are hard to change, often just ingrained in our being... I am a member of the clean-plate club and no amount of re-training will change that, I will never be able to throw half a plate of food out (i've probably done this like 3 times in my life!) so I have to serve myself a smaller portion, period. And it is ingrained in me also to want second helpings... now I simply will not be able to do it.

my 2 cents....when someone is referred to as a cheat it usually means they are in competition and are cheating to get an unfair advantage.

This is an incredibly perceptive observation on the use of the word "cheat." It absolutely implies that there are supposedly some "rules" that all people should play by ... when there just aren't. What's that pill some alcoholics go on ... the one that makes them violently ill if they ingest alcohol? Is that a "cheat" because other alcoholics use their will power? No, it just observes that for some people whose issues run deeper, "will power" alone isn't enough.

Great for the other people if their will power is stronger. They win. I'm not them, but if the size of my behind was any indication, that was already obvious.

Of course I can lose weight with diet and exercise. If I make my life's profession losing weight, which I have to do, then I lose the weight. But, my body goes into panic mode always after around the 3 month mark. Continuing to eat at diet levels makes my subconscious kick into survival mode, and I frequently found myself eating portions that were even larger than my "pre-diet" portions just to get that "okay, I'm satisfied now" feeling. I need the help.

The one neighbor I told in great confidence actually said her sister had undergone the procedure ... used to be a large woman and now is quite petite, and very happy! It did take me a while to tell my husband ... he surprised me by being incredibly supportive. He even said he was really excited for me!

As for my extended family, fortunately the only two sisters-in-law who would ever say anything on the subject, both of them have had liposuction and breast work, so they are the last ones to point out anything about "cheating."

But, great observation again on the "competition" - there sure is, in their minds. I also liked very much the comment about yes, I'm cheating ... I'm cheating an early death ... good one.;)

Kim

in the pipeline, looking for surgery date probably April 2010

you know insecurities are an awful thing- and we, more than most know how it feels to think that everyone in the room is looking at us. I think these people who call us lazy or cheaters have more insecutities than we do, and are happy to have us around because our large size is much more notocible than any fault they may have- and so while someone is looking and judging us they are not paying as much attention to anyone else. For us to do something positive about our weight means our insecurities decrease along with our size, and then these very vocal people have to face their worst fears- that someone may begin judging them as they judged us.

I have also discovered that my being fat makes others feel better about themselves- and I think it's about time I worked on making me feel better about me and if that means they haveface their own insecutities then too bad- build a bridge and get over yourself!!!!!

I for one have spent too many years worrying about what these people and people just like them think of me and so if you wanna judge me and call me a cheater instead of all the other names you have come up with bring it on all they are doing is showing me that they are not worthy of my time and that I will dump them along with the extra weight

JEALOUSY IS A CURSE MOST OF THE PEOPLE THAT CALL US CHEATERS REALLY WANT TO SAY eeeew wish i could afford one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO

well just got back from a support meeting, this "cheater" is down 88.5 lbs in 5-1/2 months! I have gone from a 46 jeans to a 36 and for the 1st time in 20 yrs I can fit into a size large shirt (snug but can put it on) down from a xxl or sometimes a xxxl. I am no longer on BP meds and my BP is down to 118/65 not bad for less than 6 months and only having to "cheat"

I cannot beleive that people think this is cheating. Are they stupid as or what???

I had the surgery as i have a hormone imbalance and ate less than most people. I ended up with Insulin Resistance so no matter what i did, my cells would not accept the insulin my body made.

Because of this my Insulin levels where so high that this made me lethargic and i felt so tired and sick all the time.

Even with medication they weight still did not come off and i resorted to having this surgery done.

I have now lost nearly 15 kilos, slowly, but lost it and i no longer have this horrible disease.

I no longer have high blood pressure due to my diabetes.

No one can tell me that i have cheated or taken the easy way out.

Ihave worked bloody hard to move my weight and at times it didnt come off. I ate better and excercised more and beat 2 chronic diseases.

People who sayt things like this are just plain stupid and narrowminded.

I am PROUD to be a Bandster and deserve this title as so do all of you on here trying to work out their weight.

People only want you to feel bad about yourself to make themselves feel better about their insecurities.

Stuff em all and be proud.

I don't care and i tell people. I know i will be healthier and live longer.

Good luck all and stay strong, don't care about the small minded people in the world and next time someone puts you down, picture their small brains in their heads and laugh at them. It will stop them in their tracks hahahahaa