Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Regrets Out Their?

Hi this if my first time posting on this site and I have read mostly good but some bad. And wanted to see what the overall opinions are. I have been debating on getting banded for about a year now. And just recently got new inc. that MAY pay for it. I do have my fears several of them, like not waking up once I am put under, something going wrong during surgery and I have to stay in Hospital for a while, band slippage or erosion.

SO I am willing to hear more GOOD and BAD about getting banded. And those who Regret it or would not change their decision even with the bad that they my of had.

Thanks in advance.

Gina

Hi this if my first time posting on this site and I have read mostly good but some bad. And wanted to see what the overall opinions are. I have been debating on getting banded for about a year now. And just recently got new inc. that MAY pay for it. I do have my fears several of them, like not waking up once I am put under, something going wrong during surgery and I have to stay in Hospital for a while, band slippage or erosion.

SO I am willing to hear more GOOD and BAD about getting banded. And those who Regret it or would not change their decision even with the bad that they my of had.

Thanks in advance.

Gina

Gina

No regrets - I in 6 months I am 60 lbs lighter - feel 100% better

I am eating healthy and exercising - I am loving life..

I have been blessed and have had no complications - This is just like life "sh*t happens" it may or not happen to you - just like you can be driving to work and get hit by a truck - there is no predicting complications - but there is predicting complications is you stay fat, high blood pressure - diabetes, high cholesterol, heart attack etc..

It's all a roll of the dice - but I will take the band over what will happen if I continue to stay fat...:cool:

No regrets, I have been banded just a little over a year. It's the best money I ever spent, and the best thing I feel great!

~Betty

Hi 2gina,

No regrets here. Not a one. Unless you count not opting for it sooner to be a regret.

I had the same fears about not waking up from surgery or something going wrong during or after. I'm sure everyone does. But my fear of getting more and more overweight and the health complications that come with it made me realise that my health was already at risk and things were only going to get worse if I didn't do something. I tried every diet out there. I tried all the pills and the wonder exercise regimes. And it wasn't just a week or two I would try them and give up, I feel I really did give them my best.

I was morbidly obese. I was insulin resistant, which is pre-diabetes. My knee was beginning to give me problems. My cholesterol was high. My free testosterone levels were high. I had PCOS (still clinically do, but the symptoms have improved a lot) It seemed like my health was slowly but surely getting worse.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the band to anybody that asks. None at all. But I would tell them that it's not a magical cure. The band doesn't make you lose weight. It helps you. You still have to make the right choices. What it's done for me is made me realise that I was actually sabotaging my progress with the diets I was trying. I didn't realise that I was kidding myself when I was thinking it was okay to eat a huge bowl of salad with dressing on it and expect to lose weight. Then having dessert as a treat for eating well. Then maybe finishing off the pack of chips in the cupboard, or the last few scoops of ice cream because I needed room in the freezer.

What the band does for me is make it physically impossible to kid myself. I can cheat any time I want and eat anything at all that I want. But having experienced the golf ball effect, when it feels like that tiny bite of pizza I just swallowed turned into a bowling ball and is trying to burst out of my chest. It hurts like hell. And I don't like feeling like that. So I make a choice, do I eat the pizza and feel like hell or do I choose something else. There'll be a time when it will be okay to eat pizza again once I've got down to my target wait and possibly unfilled my band. But until that day the band is a non-negotiable conscience. I don't always like it, but it's the best thing for me.

Doing what's best isn't always easy and it can be a tough journey at times. I come here whenever I have a moment of weakness and am lucky to have people like IndioGirl to encourage me on. It really does help. Knowing the people here are going through or have gone through exactly the same thing is the boost I need to get me back on track.

You can find ways to cheat your band if you really want. But why would you want to? Why would you go through the surgery only to find ways for it not to work for you?

I think the hardest thing in the journey is dealing with your brain. It's been so used to needing certain foods to function and comfort that it's often on autopilot and you have to keep on and on at yourself that certain behaviours and needs are all in your head. A LOT of the time they are. And you know it. And it doesn't make it any easier knowing it.

I'll never be able to enter a hot dog eating contest again. Oh darn.

I'll never be able to enter a beer chugging contest again. Oh darn.

I'll never be able to finish off an entire pack of Oreo's again. Oh darn.

I'll never be fat and judged unfairly for it again. Sign me up.

I know there are cases where the band hasn't worked for some people through no fault of their own. Or that there's been a surgical complication. I don't think it's fair though to blame the band itself for these failures. Sometimes there is no blame. And for those who find the band doesn't work for them, I would encourage them to continue searching for something that does. There's nothing that's 100% guaranteed and you need to find the best thing for you. I wish you well on your journey and hope it's one you're able to take with those of us here who are enjoying it. :smile:

I Have No Regrets And Im A Month Post Op. I Have Lost 35 Pounds And I Love It. Some People Come Into This Surgery Thinking Oh Quick Fix And When They Dont Lose The Weight Fast They Are Complaining. Well This Is A Slow Process Into A Healthy Lifestyle And Its Worth It.

NO REGRETS!! Mind you I have only had the band on since Jan. 16th BUT I am down 21 pounds (including the pre diet) and I have a much better motivation since I have some lost already! I was very scared and almost canceled up to the day I had the surgery for TONS of different reasons.I have read some bad on the board also but I guess that in normal. I have read SOOOOO much more good and these stories are just incredible! I feel like for the first time in my life I have a chance! That is an AWESOME feeling! ~Peace~ L

Hmmm. Regrets? Yeah, some.

First, to be clear: this was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I'm down 90 lbs since May, and I cannot imagine going back to what I was. My sleep apnea is gone, my blood pressure is now low normal, resting heart rate is down 30 BMP, blood tests are normal and I'm no longer getting the "lose weight or die" speech from my primary doc.

In addition, I look tons better. I can pass for a normal now, and even buy the expensive stylish duds (yes, I'm a guy -- that whole "fat clothes are expensive, ugly, and built poorly" applies to our stuff also). I see old pictures and I just feel sorry for that guy, because it's obvious he was miserable.

But regrets? Sure. Everything socially revolves around food, and not being able to participate fully does cause some awkwardness. One can only pull the "late lunch/upset stomach" card so many times. I've finally just told my friends so that there's no strangeness there, but it's still a huge problem with dates and such.

Secondly, the constant gurgling in the chest is just flat out annoying. Nobody told me that this was going to be a permanent situation, and it's caused some socially awkward moments too. Heck, I've had people in the next office ask me what that sound was!

The acid reflux at night is random and really only happens after fills, but I never had that issue before. I understand that for some who already have it, the band actually cures it. Strange.

Lastly, the inability to sedate yourself with food may require that you deal with your demons. Not everyone overeats to avoid conflict resolution, but in my case I did. Be watching for that root cause, and if you need help contact a qualified shrink. I thought it was interesting that Mary Jo from Big Medicine stated that many bariatric patients end up divorcing in later years.

Please don't take anything here as an excuse to avoid the surgery. Overall, this has been a life saver, and absolutely I would do it again.

My only regret is that I didn't know about is and have it a few years earlier. Even though I haven't lost a lot of weight do to no restriction yet, I'm confident that eventually I will.

No regrets, I'm almost 5 months from surgery and 56 pounds lost. I've had a few issues but not as great as the ones I was having before the lapband. WLS is not for everyone, but for the ones of us who took the chance it's WONDERFUL!!!!!

Of course I worry about a chance of slippage or erosion, but I have spent 4 decades worrying about a heart attack, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sore knees, hip problems, posterior tibialis tendonitis and gastric reflux. Some of these I had, most were on their way. To me it was an easy trade. I have no regrets and am aware of the complications that are possible.

Of course I worry about a chance of slippage or erosion, but I have spent 4 decades worrying about a heart attack, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sore knees, hip problems, posterior tibialis tendonitis and gastric reflux. Some of these I had, most were on their way. To me it was an easy trade. I have no regrets and am aware of the complications that are possible.

Congrats on you 119 lbs in six month you are doing great.....