Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Regrets Out Their?

Hmmm. Good question. Let's see if there are any regrets for the nearly 75 pounds I've shed as well as other things I have lost since having the surgery nearly 14 months ago...

• High Blood Pressure (cured!)
  • Acid Reflux (cured!)
  • Plantar Fascitis (cured!)
  • sleep Apnea (cured!)

In that same time though, I have gained some things along the way:

• Respect from my family, friends, neighbors & co-workers
  • Respect for myself and a huge sense of achievement
  • A rediscovery of attractiveness which I thought my wife would never have for me again :sleep:
  • A long forgotten wardrobe from the '80s (well, I suppose that some things are best remained lost!) :)

Yeah, I'll take what I've gained over what I've lost any day! :eek:

I have no regrets whatsoever. I am going into my 4th week banded today and have so much more energy and a much more healthy mental outlook already. I am looking forward to my first fill and what the addition of exercise back to my life will bring. Wish I would have taken the steps to have it done sooner.

No regrets about the surgery at all. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself. It forces me to look inside and take control over my life and my choices.

My only regret is that I wasted the last six months falling off the wagon, so to speak. I stopped exercising and following a proper diet. I would be at my goal already if I didn't slack off.

Hi All:

I'm going to my first Dr's appt on 7/21 to get this lapband ride started. I'm 40 yrs old, 5'11", and need to lose about 133 lbs before my insulin resistance turns to diabetes. I've struggled with this weight for over 15 yrs and I just found out that our insurance will pay 90%.

What usually goes on that first dr's appt? Curious about the process... Lynda:cool2:

The first doctors appointment usually talks about your overall health, what weight loss methods you've tried, how long you've been overweight... the usual "Intake" stuff. With insurance cases I think they have to book you for a Psych eval (they don't bother with this with the self-pay since). They'll also do (or send your for) the usual pre-op tests like blood, and a couple of x-rays. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi All:

I'm going to my first Dr's appt on 7/21 to get this lapband ride started. I'm 40 yrs old, 5'11", and need to lose about 133 lbs before my insulin resistance turns to diabetes. I've struggled with this weight for over 15 yrs and I just found out that our insurance will pay 90%.

What usually goes on that first dr's appt? Curious about the process... Lynda:cool2:

Hi Lynda, Welcome to the band club. :biggrin2:

Mostly on the first visit they'll talk about the procedure; what to expect, what not to expect. They'll probably give you a time-line as well; how long it'll take for insurance approval, psyche evaluation, blood tests, sometimes a pre-op diet, etc. A lot of things seem to depend on your insurance company. Some take longer than others and some are more strict than others when it comes to requirements. For me, the most frustrating and stressful part of this whole thing was dealing with the insurance company. The operation and tests were a walk in the park compared to them. :tt1: But don't let them discourage you. A lot of times they can be strict to weed out the ones who aren't serious about it and are just going for it because it seems to be the latest fad. :tt1:

I was insulin resistant prior to surgery as well. I also had PCOS and problems with my right knee because of the extra weight I was carrying. I knew my health was quickly declining and something serious needed to be done. I tried all the diets and fad miracle pills to no avail.

It's been almost a year since I was banded and I no longer take any medication for insulin resistance. In fact, I was off that stuff (Metformin) within a month after surgery. The PCOS is significantly better as well. I will still have an occasional month where my period is painful, but it's not crippling like it once was. My knee will never be 100%. I'll never be a marathon runner, but I can walk up and down stairs now without it causing me pain and without looking like a slow little old lady. :lol:

It's been a little tougher at times than I expected. But I would do it all over again in a heartbeat if I needed to. I just know that I'll never need to. It's the first time I can say with any confidence that this weight loss procedure works. It works because I make sure it does. The band is not going to lose the weight for you. It's a tool that helps you lose the weight yourself. You still have to decide what to eat and when. You still have to be the one to exercise should you choose to do so. You'll stumble across foods that will simply slide through your band (usually naughty things like Cookies or potato chips) and it'll be up to you to avoid them. There will probably be some "good" food that you won't be able to eat. For me it's white meat chicken, bread and sometimes melons. Also sometimes your band will seem tighter than others. For me the morning is really hard to get any food at all in. I just have coffee and a Protein shake. A week prior to my period I will be tighter. And occasionally if I've had a really active exercise day I'll be tight as well.

Listen to your body. Not your head. Your head will be able to make excuses for bad behavior more often than your body will. When your body/band tells you "you've had enough", believe me, you've had enough. Even one more mouthful can send me rushing off to the bathroom to try to get rid of that last bit (and sometimes more) that I didn't have room for. Your head will tell you to eat Cookies when you're starving and can't get chicken in without it getting stuck. Your body knows that fish or ground beef or Soup is better for you than those cookies. And it'll satisfy your hunger more.

Many people have said they've wished there was a band for their brains as well as their tummies. It would make life so much easier if there were. :tt1: Hope this helps. :)

Hello Ladies,

First Im also thinking about getting banded my appt is July for the consultation. My questions is what do you guys mean when you say the band feels tigh...is this an actual feeling or does it mean you feel full and you cannot eat?

Hello Ladies,

First Im also thinking about getting banded my appt is July for the consultation. My questions is what do you guys mean when you say the band feels tigh...is this an actual feeling or does it mean you feel full and you cannot eat?

Usually for me when my band feels tight it means I can't eat very much at all before it becomes physically impossible to eat any further. What happens if I continue to do so? At first it feels like whatever I've just eaten has turned into a bowling ball that just won't go down. So if it can't go down, it has to come back up. :frown: It quickly evacuates itself from my system.

When this happens a couple of times you get to recognise the symptoms of eating too much or too quickly. It doesn't necessarily mean that there is a feeling of tightness, but more often than not describes the fact that the band has tightened a little more than probably necessary so that barely anything can pass through.

Hope this helps.

No regrets here either..

I LOVE my band..I am 1.5 yrs out and have lost 162lbs!

Couldn't ask for anything better!

GOOD LUCK!

Wow, that is awesome! Congratulations.

I think the best answer to OP's post is this;

Write down what is most likely to happen to you if you don't go ahead with the op. The high blood pressure, diabetes, shortness of breath, gout (my mother has this and now looks like I do), heart attack, etc etc etc.

Now write down a list of what could happen if you have the op. The least likely of all is death. If you have to stay in hospital a little longer than expected, that's OK it will be the best place to be anyway. The band loosens or the port detaches, just a quick op to fix.

I think the benefits far out way the risks and the risks of not going ahead far out way the risks of going ahead. But that's my opinion. You need to decide for yourself.

As a yo-yo dieter for my entire adult life, I have to say that I am thankful for this tool, the lap band. I have had it for two months and have lost 26 lbs so far.

I am definitely on a learning curve. It is kind of hard to get out of that dieter's mentality about being "good" or "bad" depending on how I am eating any given day. For the first time I am eating normal portions and able to stay away from all of the junk.

No regrets.