Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

starting BMI over 50? come on in!

hi all

im daqui and i just started the LB journey. my bmi is 52

im looking forward to getting to know as many people as i can & share our experiences

hi all

im daqui and i just started the LB journey. my bmi is 52

im looking forward to getting to know as many people as i can & share our experiences

Welcome, Daqui!!

Glad to have you here and congrats on the start of your LB journey!

I am 14 mos out, down almost 90 lb. My BMI was 64+ when I started my pre-op diet.

phyllser thank you for the welcome.

congrats on your loss so far.

phyllser thank you for the welcome. congrats on your loss so far.

Thanks!

I was so glad to see your post because this thread has not been very active for a long time! I was hoping some activity might get people to start posting again. Those of us with 50+ BMI face a long haul to get to "normal" and have special needs. It's good for us to communicate.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.

We are "snowbirds"!

We live in WA state, but travel south to Palm Springs area for the winter.. just arrived today, in fact.

We have an RV, so now will be living in it for the next six months.

We have lots of pools/spas here and will be doing Water aerobics weekdays for exercise. Can't wait to get started.

Thanks!

I was so glad to see your post because this thread has not been very active for a long time! I was hoping some activity might get people to start posting again. Those of us with 50+ BMI face a long haul to get to "normal" and have special needs. It's good for us to communicate.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.

We are "snowbirds"!

We live in WA state, but travel south to Palm Springs area for the winter.. just arrived today, in fact.

We have an RV, so now will be living in it for the next six months.

We have lots of pools/spas here and will be doing Water aerobics weekdays for exercise. Can't wait to get started.

Hey Phyl and Daq!

I too was sad this thread got so quiet!

Congrats Daq on starting your new banded life. I love mine! Sure some days are a litte rough, BUT I would do it again and again in a heart beat!!

WTG Phyl on your weight loss! I would love to be a snow bird! I live on Long Island NY. We have a house in PA as well that we go to on the weekends. Right now we are in GA visiting some family. We went to the fair and oh how everything smelled so good!! But you know what being able to WALK around the fair was even better! So I enjoyed the smells had a little ice cream and had a great time!

For me the band was a perfect fit! I had lost over 100 pounds once and then gained back 130 then I lost 70 and gained back 108. I have dieted sooo many times as we all have. This was the right thing for me for sure.

I wish you both loads of luck and hope you will keep in touch!

Daqui:

It really seems like just yesterday my bmi was 51. Now it's 28 and I feel great. I started at 324 in April 07. I was banded 7/26/07. Today I weighed 176. I'm kind of stuck there, but just joined the gym to start some weight and resistance training to kick my metabolism into gear to lose these last few pounds. Being stuck at 176 beats the heck out of 320 and climbing upward.

I love my band. It has improved my life tremendously. I feel 20 years younger.

I hope your band journey is as great as mine has been. I've been doing alot of cardio over the past year and a half. I think it has made a big difference versus those that don't exercise.

Best wishes to you.

Sue

I'm in the process of waiting for insurance approval -so impatient-

Hello everyone, Long time no talk!!!

How is everyone doing? Well I hope...

Froggi- Hang in there! I know the waiting part can feel like forever and like it is never going to end but it will.

Hello everyone, Long time no talk!!!

How is everyone doing? Well I hope...

Froggi- Hang in there! I know the waiting part can feel like forever and like it is never going to end but it will.

Thanks hun. I need all the prayers I can get right now my insurance is buttholes. :eek:

Hi everyone,

I am just beginning my wls journey. On Tuesday I went to my seminar and found it to be very informative. I have my second initial consultation (if that makes sense) on October 24th. I also see the nutritionist on that day. My surgeon will not perform the lap band on a bmi of 50 or more, so I have a lot of hard work to do. I was able to lose 100 pounds on the Atkins diet 3 years ago but have since gained it back obviously. I was very much opposed to WLS, but I am very confident and excited about my decision.

Hi everyone,

I am just beginning my wls journey. On Tuesday I went to my seminar and found it to be very informative. I have my second initial consultation (if that makes sense) on October 24th. I also see the nutritionist on that day. My surgeon will not perform the lap band on a bmi of 50 or more, so I have a lot of hard work to do. I was able to lose 100 pounds on the Atkins diet 3 years ago but have since gained it back obviously. I was very much opposed to WLS, but I am very confident and excited about my decision.

Wishing you the best of luck. BMI of 50 or less!! Wow! That's a tall order! Mine was about 64 at my initial pre-op consultation. My surgeon told me to lose 10% of my body weight and try to get my BMI down to 60. I did get my BMI down to 60 by next pre-op appt, but not the 10%. I think I lost about 18 lb. Plus my age was on the borderline of what he was comfortable with, so I was pretty BLESSED that he agreed to do it! And that Medicare did not protest either!

hi all

phyl- im in texas, hot and humid way too much. im so happy to have found this forum.

ann congrats on that great loss and thank you for the well wishes. im a little nervous about everything but i know this is the right decision.

sue i have to say congrats to you too on 28 bmi. i am so looking to improve my life. my legs have stated to hurt recently and sometimes its hurt to stand a long time. i guess the weight is starting to take a toll on me.

froggi i understand how the paperwork part can drive you up the wall. hang in there it will all work out. i have to do the 3 month diet/exercise, my insurance requires it. i've been dieting the last 4-5 years but hey if 3 months can add years to my life its worth doing.

inspired im in the beginning phases too. we should buddy up. i've tried everything but my highest weight lost was 34 pounds, i was sill proud of that but it didn't make me healthy. good luck on gettig your bmi down.

i think that covers everything, lol.

enjoy your day:tongue_smilie:

Hello All!

I am scheduled for LBS on Wednesday (October 22). I am starting with a BMI of 59. I am excited, anxious, and scared all at the same time. I am glad to have found this forum and will update everyone soon!

Hello All!

I am scheduled for LBS on Wednesday (October 22). I am starting with a BMI of 59. I am excited, anxious, and scared all at the same time. I am glad to have found this forum and will update everyone soon!

Hey purple!

Good luck, how exciting! You will love your band! Do you have a hating pad? I used mine, but I really didn't have a lot of gas pain. I think because I got up every hour and walked for 15 mins even when I didn't want to. Please keep in touch and if you have any questions feel free to ask!!

Best wishes!