Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

starting BMI over 50? come on in!

Anyone banded that had a BMI of 70+? I am 440 lbs and just starting to get co-morbidities.

The doctor I plan to see in Puerto Viarta, Dr. Joya is recommending I get the gastric sleeve, I would really rather get the LAP or Realize band. I'm looking for success stories for the 70 BMI crowd!

Hi - I am 5'6"" and my starting weight was 424lbs so my BMI was 68.4 - almost at 70, but not quite. I have lost down to 175 lbs with the band. My doctor didn't think i would do it, he was trying to encourage me towards bypass, but I refused- I wanted the band. I knew I could make it work. Now, he screens carefully, but does encourage bands for us high bmi patients and there are lots of successes in his practice. I was banded almost 6 years ago, it took 28 months to get the weight off (that's for those of you who are not yet at goal and consider yourself slow losers- you're not- we just have alot of weight to get off). If I had any regrests they would be that I didn't get the band sooner. I love my new life!

Hi - I am 5'6"" and my starting Anyone banded that had a BMI of 70+? I am 440 lbs and just starting to get co-morbidities.

The doctor I plan to see in Puerto Viarta, Dr. Joya is recommending I get the gastric sleeve, I would really rather get the LAP or Realize band. I'm looking for success stories for the 70 BMI crowd!

I, at one time weighed over 480 lbs. I've lost 223lbs from my highest. Success is possible for us higher weight Banders. It's totally possible! What I love about the band is that you can control it yourself. I recently had the first phase of my plastic surgery and just kept my band a little less tight, so that I was able to eat a little more to get my extra Protein in for healing. Then I returned to the doctor and got a fill to get back on track. IF, God forbid one of us ever got a cancer or some other illness or luckily got pregnant - we could just lessen the restriction of our bands and eat what we needed to to heal or to have a healthy baby. I love that I am able to eat fruit and other healthy foods by keeping my band a little less tight. With the sleeve, you get what you get and you are left with that the rest of your life until you stretch your stomach out. Then you are able to eat more and if you haven't learned how to not eat more - you will gain. This is my opinion from what I know about the sleeve. I do admit that if I ever lost my Band, I would get the sleeve. But for now, I am happy with the Band.

I, at one time weighed over 480 lbs. I've lost 223lbs from my highest. Success is possible for us higher weight Banders. It's totally possible! What I love about the band is that you can control it yourself. I recently had the first phase of my plastic surgery and just kept my band a little less tight, so that I was able to eat a little more to get my extra Protein in for healing. Then I returned to the doctor and got a fill to get back on track. IF, God forbid one of us ever got a cancer or some other illness or luckily got pregnant - we could just lessen the restriction of our bands and eat what we needed to to heal or to have a healthy baby. I love that I am able to eat fruit and other healthy foods by keeping my band a little less tight. With the sleeve, you get what you get and you are left with that the rest of your life until you stretch your stomach out. Then you are able to eat more and if you haven't learned how to not eat more - you will gain. This is my opinion from what I know about the sleeve. I do admit that if I ever lost my Band, I would get the sleeve. But for now, I am happy with the Band.

You are so right about the adjustable nature of the band being great, and about how we get to use that adjustability to maximize our performance in this journey of wieeght loss and good health. After losing 250 pounds and maintaining that loss for several years I KNOW I made the right decision.

If anyone is deciding on which surgery they want to choose with a high BMI you may want to read my story on my blog as I go into details about how and why I chose lapband over other surgeries as well as my journey to better health. You can find it at:

Sandi's Banded Living — My Lapband Weight Loss Success Story

Or just post or email any questions you might have.

I'd be interested in your feedback.

Phyl and I are slow losers! but We are still losing so that counts. Being heavy makes it difficult to work out at times. But every little bit helps.

For me the Tax season makes it difficult for me to have any kind of life. lol Hopefuly with the new fill tommorrow I will have restriction again.

Phyl and I are slow losers! but We are still losing so that counts. Being heavy makes it difficult to work out at times. But every little bit helps.

For me the Tax season makes it difficult for me to have any kind of life. lol Hopefuly with the new fill tommorrow I will have restriction again.

Consistent losing is what is important- and keeping it off.Learning how to work the tool and then making choices regarding your food, etc is what this is all about. you should be thrilled with your loss, and as long as you keep at it, it will keep coming off no matter how slowly. If you decide you would like to kick-start your weight loss, send me an email and I'll share some ideas that worked for me as well as others I have been a mentor to.

I set my exercise for first thing in the morning before work because I know myself well enough to know that I would never get there after work.

I also bring my Breakfast and lunch with me to work to try to keep myself from making not so great choices. these are just a few....Basically, it's have a plan and work the plan, don't expect miracles, MAKE them!

For me the Tax season makes it difficult for me to have any kind of life. lol Hopefully with the new fill tomorrow I will have restriction again.

Consistent losing is what is important- and keeping it off.Learning how to work the tool and then making choices regarding your food, etc is what this is all about. you should be thrilled with your loss, and as long as you keep at it, it will keep coming off no matter how slowly. If you decide you would like to kick-start your weight loss, send me an email and I'll share some ideas that worked for me as well as others I have been a mentor to.

I set my exercise for first thing in the morning before work because I know myself well enough to know that I would never get there after work.

I also bring my Breakfast and lunch with me to work to try to keep myself from making not so great choices. these are just a few....Basically, it's have a plan and work the plan, don't expect miracles, MAKE them!

Yep... just have to keep working at it. I'm trying hard to ramp up my walking... new knee last August, so I am much more able to walk than I was before and no longer relying on my electric scooter everywhere I go! In fact, I'm walking in a 2 mile walkathon for Alzheimer's on Saturday. First time I have EVER tried anything like that and I'm fairly confident I can finish it.

We constantly have to face challenges... mine are mostly social. So, be as prepared as you can be! Today went out to lunch at a BBQ place with my Red Hat group. I LOVE BBQ!! But I found a 1/2 BBQ salad on the menu that allowed me to have my BBQ and still keep it fairly healthy. Used more Salad Dressing than I probably should have, but I wasn't eating pulled pork sandwiches and sweet potato fries like most of the other ladies!

lol I have found out that my body dosent work like others. If I concentrate of food and eatting healthy then I dont lose. No matter how many calories I get in. But if I ignore it I lose...I have to eat unsteady high calories one day low the next...for me to lose. If I stick to 1100 calories I may lose the first week...like 2lbs...but then I plateau till I start ignoring it again lol

My body is so fickle lol Thank goodness I have the band where I can NOT concentrate on the amount I eat. I just have to remember to not eat crap and to not drink while eatting.

I am getting a fill today and I am going to take this time to restart myself on the correct path. I miss excercising...but when you work 2 full time jobs there is honestly no time to work out. I am walking arround as much as possible...with out getting sweaty because of work. *sigh* 6 more weeks and I will hit the gym hard.

I'm new to this whole thing but am being banded on May 25, 2010 and am looking forward to my new journey in life. Everyone seems so knowledgeable and I don't even know what I should be drinking/taking pre-op. In Canada we meet with the dietician once, 2 weeks b4 surgery and it seems everyone on this site has met with a dietician at least 3 to 4 times and has sat in on some discussion groups.

It's sad, they want our money but keep us in the dark till right before surgery when they have the deposit.

I'm still going ahead, but any candid advice would greatly be appreciated. I've read numerious stories and just read about the thread "food" for ideas post surgery for every step along the way.

Any takers on your experiences:wink:

Well before surgery My Dr had me on a strict low carb to no carb then liquids the week before. all to shrink my liver for surgery.

Then After surgery I was on stages of liquid to mushy purred then solid foods...My dr didnt have super strict time table on how long I had to be on liquids...just to go slow and be aware of the full sensation and If I was not staying full then I was to move to the next step.

I'm new to this whole thing but am being banded on May 25, 2010 and am looking forward to my new journey in life. Everyone seems so knowledgeable and I don't even know what I should be drinking/taking pre-op. In Canada we meet with the dietician once, 2 weeks b4 surgery and it seems everyone on this site has met with a dietician at least 3 to 4 times and has sat in on some discussion groups.

It's sad, they want our money but keep us in the dark till right before surgery when they have the deposit.

I'm still going ahead, but any candid advice would greatly be appreciated. I've read numerious stories and just read about the thread "food" for ideas post surgery for every step along the way.

Any takers on your experiences:wink:

OK- I only met with a dietician once before surgery and I do not even remember what she said- but then it was a long time ago.:) What I've learned is that every doctor has a diferent set of "rules", of what they want their patients to do before surgery and immediately post operatively. It is important that you follow the instructions you get from your doctor. I know this sounds a bit "straight-laced" but you will find all sorts of, let's say "interesting" information on various boards and you may find yourself so overwhelmed with information you may not be able to distinguish what your doctor told you vs what you read somewhere. That aside, I have almost 6 years experience with the lapband, I am now 61 years old...ughhhh...and have successfully lost 250 pounds and am maintaining that weight loss. I would be delighted to share my experiences and help you any way that I can. I feel so passionate about "paying it forward" that I have begun a blog of my experience. You can find it at Sandi's Banded Living — My Lapband Weight Loss Success Story

You may find some useful information and tips there. I'd be interested in your feedback.

i'm new to this site, but i'm considering the gastric sleeve, i started this procedure in june, my bmi was 51, now it's 50, i'm 5'8 when i started going to the doctor i weighted 351 now

i'm 337 lbs. i don't have a date scheduled for surgery yet, but it will be soon, i have 2 more doctor visits. my question is has anyone had the gastric sleeve, or know anyone who has?

i'm new to this site, but i'm considering the gastric sleeve, i started this procedure in june, my bmi was 51, now it's 50, i'm 5'8 when i started going to the doctor i weighted 351 now

i'm 337 lbs. i don't have a date scheduled for surgery yet, but it will be soon, i have 2 more doctor visits. my question is has anyone had the gastric sleeve, or know anyone who has?

Hi!,

Sorry don't know anyone but can I ask why not get the lap band?

Good Luck!

Hi,

I am new here. I am not banded yet but really want to be. I have seen the only two Dr's in the 25 mile radius that do the lap band with my insurance and neither of them will band me due to my BMI (52). I have to lose 20 pounds before I am eligible with one and the other just won't do it. My insurance doesn't cover the sleeve and I refuse to get the bypass (only cause I am terrified of it).. I don't know what else to do to try to lose weight. My meals consist of :

Protein shake for Breakfast

Protein Shake for lunch (some days I eat veggies with it)

low carb/low sugar dinner (eat Protein, first)

This is my pre-op diet (which I thought would help but hasn't yet). I workout every day anywhere from 45 min- 90 min.

Anyone have advice??

I was banded with a bmi of 51. Nothing was ever said about my bmi being to high. My 10 pre-op diet was 3 to 4 Protein Shakes (EAS low carb) and 1 lean cuisine (300 cals and under) a day. I also drank lots of Water

My BMI was 68 when i asked for band surgery, i was told i would have to get down to 60 bmi before they felt safe to operate. I did 600 calories for over 2 months and got down to a bmi if 61, was operated on fine and had no problems since. Never touched a Protein Shake, just good old fresh healthy food and no fat to shrink my liver.. worked fine :)

You might have to travel further away to get a doctor to accept your bmi level if not just lose the 20lbs if u can .. good luck...