Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

There are many people on this board who have lost 100% of their excess body weight. It all depends on how hard you are willing to work. The band doesn't do all the work.

Shortgal, that really stinks. If that happened to me, I would probably have to pay for it.

Rugman, I assume you were talking to me and not Lynn. I am glad I could help. That test was a big help for me.

Hi, I'm 53 for a couple more months, and I'm going to be banded at the end of the month. I live in Northern Virginia, and I have been married 34 years to a great guy whom I still enjoy. We have two grown kids, a daughter 31, and a son 25. No grandchildren yet. We also have a Keeshond and 8 cats, one of whom is trying to get me to stop typing and pet her! Yeah, every single one of them is spoiled.

I've been losing weight on my own for the past 15 months, but I'm more than ready for some assistance. I've known for years that my hunger doesn't turn off correctly. That is where the band will hopefully come in.

This is the week I get all of my preop testing done, and see the dietician. I am not looking forward to the preop Optifast diet but I'll do what I have to do.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

Orea

Lynn--Thanks!! This is the info I was looking for. I'm going to print out your description and take it to my MD. I go to a large teaching hospital so someone there ought to be able to do or refer me for this testing. I stay between 1000/1200 but there are days that I wonder if I should be lower or higher in calories. I’m losing slowly right now and I want to do everything I can to get to the bottom of it. Could just be that I need to wait it out or maybe I need to do something different. Thanks again.

gdf18---I'm a researcher and perhaps I can help with your questions. When they do these studies on different sample groups they find that the mean (average) weight loss was 50-60% of the sample group's excessive weight according to the BMI charts currently presented by the CDC (national Center for Disease Control in Atlanta) . For example I was 43.0 BMI. That means I was 100lbs over weight. According the studies --- if I do average -- I can expect to lose 50 to 60lbs. But it's important to understand that the 50-60% is the AVERAGE results across many studies. That means-- if the statistical curves were normal -- then about half the people in the study lost less than that and half lost MORE than that. Sometimes the study reports give more information about WHY some people lost more or less than the average. There are many reasons why some people do better or worse. It can be about the band, the surgery, the surgeon, patients age, gender, race, metabolic issues etc.---But from what I have seen in the many studies that I have read, most of the time it’s because the people who follow their MD's aftercare instructions, stick to a good eating plan and exercise are the ones who usually do better than the average. That’s US!!! We are going to be GOOD and beat the average!!

THANK YOU, Rugman. Great explanation. And yup, we are the ones going to do it. My therapist hears all about the Forum and she thinks it's something like this that can make that bit of extra difference. To have postitive, ongoing support is priceless.

My starting BMI was 55. I played on the internet last evening and found those old charts. According to them, at 5 ft 2 in I shouldn't weight more than 132 ish. That means in their world, I started out 183 pounds overweight. Now, I dont' expect to be 132 pounds, but it was interesting because 60% of that is 110 pounds. That would put me at 205. I want to crash the 200 mark and feel that anything more (or less) is gravy. Ideal target is 160-170. So, I feel that this is all very doable.

Thanks again.

Hi, I'm 53 for a couple more months, and I'm going to be banded at the end of the month. I live in Northern Virginia, and I have been married 34 years to a great guy whom I still enjoy. We have two grown kids, a daughter 31, and a son 25. No grandchildren yet. We also have a Keeshond and 8 cats, one of whom is trying to get me to stop typing and pet her! Yeah, every single one of them is spoiled.

I've been losing weight on my own for the past 15 months, but I'm more than ready for some assistance. I've known for years that my hunger doesn't turn off correctly. That is where the band will hopefully come in.

This is the week I get all of my preop testing done, and see the dietician. I am not looking forward to the preop Optifast diet but I'll do what I have to do.

Orea

Welcome to the Fabulous Fifties! You will get alot of support on this thread.

Thanks for the info. My surgery is on the sixteenth of July. I went to pre-op and signed a paper stating that I understood that weight loss would be up to fifty or sixty per cent. It is only a tool. What we do with it determines our outcome. My son lost 120lbs in a year and then his dr retired and he did not go get a fill. He has gained back 60lb. Now he has found a new doctor and is back on track. I just don't want to get off track and fall off the "bandwagon". I am so thankful for LBT support group.

Charlene - Yes - lbt is the greatest - and you are so correct it's what we do with our band - it's all about changing our eating habits & increasing our physical activity... The band really does make the job of controlling our portions easier..

Hi all--

I had a fill 2 weeks ago and only had slight restriction--if any at all. I went in today for fill #2 and was changed from 3.1 to 5.7. The doc said, "You'll feel this!"

Uh-oh.

I can swallow Water, but let's see what happens when I can eat again on Wednesday evening.

Part of me is anxious to have a real change--let's knock this weight off!! Who's with me?

PS I went to a singles' dance in the community--got some attention for the first time in a long time. NSV!

Jb - That was a big fill - suggestion don't go to regular food right away - ease back into to it - have soft mushie foods for your first few meals to see how you tolerate it...

Congrats on your NSV !!

There are many people on this board who have lost 100% of their excess body weight. It all depends on how hard you are willing to work. The band doesn't do all the work.

Shortgal, that really stinks. If that happened to me, I would probably have to pay for it.

Rugman, I assume you were talking to me and not Lynn. I am glad I could help. That test was a big help for me.

Denise - I am happy for you and your BF - that you have met someone that you really relate to and like - That's great - I knew that you really wanted to have someone in your life.

Orea

Welcome Orea - The band is a great tool and yes once you have proper restriction it really does help ...

THANK YOU, Rugman. Great explanation. And yup, we are the ones going to do it. My therapist hears all about the Forum and she thinks it's something like this that can make that bit of extra difference. To have postitive, ongoing support is priceless.

My starting BMI was 55. I played on the internet last evening and found those old charts. According to them, at 5 ft 2 in I shouldn't weight more than 132 ish. That means in their world, I started out 183 pounds overweight. Now, I dont' expect to be 132 pounds, but it was interesting because 60% of that is 110 pounds. That would put me at 205. I want to crash the 200 mark and feel that anything more (or less) is gravy. Ideal target is 160-170. So, I feel that this is all very doable.

Thanks again.

Gd - my bmi was 42 something - 5'4 250 lbs - per the charts I am suppose to weight 145 - I original set my goal at 170 (I got there once on WW and starting weight then was 206 and I had the help of drugs) I figured 170 was a good weight for my age - well got to 190 moved it to 160 - still didn't believe that I would get there - got there on 5/8 and since have lost another 10 - I am striving for the 145 - and I know that I can get there - but truly for my age - I feel fine at 150 'I'm in a 6 - heck my trainer said tonite - oh you are a 4 now aren't you.. - Well ya I would be but the saggy skin issues - Next on the agenda - plastic surgery... I have muscle for the 1st time in my life - you can see it in my legs and arms.

Take it slow - make your first goal to get to onelander and the reevaluate it then - you most likely be like me and see that for once in your life - you really can attain your goal..

I was on a plateau--3 weeks of gaining and losing the same 1-2 lbs. My calorie intake was 800 to 1000, and I was getting that old "oh what the hell, bring on the chips" feeling. Well, I saw a post about the "pouch test" and went to the website "Living after Weight Loss Surgery" to check it out. I lost 7 lbs. !!!!!!! and am below 250 (now 242, have to change my ticker) for the first time in over 20 years.

I realized that 1) It does matter about Protein first, and the no fluids before or after meals rule 2) I was eating too many slider foods---not bad, but not giving me that satisfied feeling 3) drinking LOTS of Water makes a difference and 4) My carb intake was creeping up. It was a difficult 5 days, but I feel hopeful once again, and the scale is moving down!!

Carol

Indio - I started at the same point as you, I am a little shorter, but otherwise the same. I originally made my goal at 175, but as I have lost I have moved it to 145-150. I am halfway there.

After what I ate tonight I do hope for a fill on Thursday. I went out to dinner and ae lobster, bked potatoe, spinach dip w/ chips and could still have eaten more..... I did not feel full at all...

Orea

Orea,

You lost 53 pounds on your own! That's fantastic! Hopefully the band will take some of the 'pain' out of dieting! It's working for me, or at least it will when I get another fill next week.

Welcome!

Hi Denise--yes---sorry--I did mean you. Thanks again. I'll let you know when I get it done.

Shortgal----AWWRRRRWWW!!!!!!! :) I'll be thinking about you and looking forward to your post regarding the proceedure.

Gdf18---I agree with Indigo---you'll get a better idea of what you want to do as you get closer. The thing is -- even though those BMI charts are quite good they are also only averages for thousands of samples. Each one of us may have more or less bone, muscle, Water than the average person our height. Tomorrow AM I have an appointment to get a custom fat percent measurement done. Most people don't go to all of that commotion but I always have to make a production out of everything! LOL!

orea15---Hi. Welcome. Wow! You have already done a LOT of work!

I was on a plateau--3 weeks of gaining and losing the same 1-2 lbs. My calorie intake was 800 to 1000, and I was getting that old "oh what the hell, bring on the chips" feeling. Well, I saw a post about the "pouch test" and went to the website "Living after Weight Loss Surgery" to check it out. I lost 7 lbs. !!!!!!! and am below 250 (now 242, have to change my ticker) for the first time in over 20 years.

I realized that 1) It does matter about Protein first, and the no fluids before or after meals rule 2) I was eating too many slider foods---not bad, but not giving me that satisfied feeling 3) drinking LOTS of Water makes a difference and 4) My carb intake was creeping up. It was a difficult 5 days, but I feel hopeful once again, and the scale is moving down!!

Carol

Carol - it's true about the slider foods - that's why so many pple are able to eat around their bands - Not drinking hasn't even been too much of problem for me - but I have to watch the carb/starches (I'm Old School)

I allow them but limited - They are our biggest comfort food and I would self medicate to sleep with them - I may have some in the morning but like 1/4 c granola in my yogurt and oatmeal in the morning - lunch is usually protien & veggies - dinner protein veggies 1/2 c rice - but in the old days it would be 2 cups rice Pasta mashed potatoes - I would make a meal of starches & fats (my 2 fav things) in the past - but no more.

Glad to hear you are back on track - this is a learning process and it will be a lifetime struggle not to fall back into old habit..

Indio - I started at the same point as you, I am a little shorter, but otherwise the same. I originally made my goal at 175, but as I have lost I have moved it to 145-150. I am halfway there.

After what I ate tonight I do hope for a fill on Thursday. I went out to dinner and ae lobster, bked potatoe, spinach dip w/ chips and could still have eaten more..... I did not feel full at all...

Yep GF you need a fill... My first experience with lobster got a llittle stuck and for the appetizer - omg i really try and stay away from them - mose of your meal except the lobster was slider foods but totally agree you are in need of a fill.. Good Luck on thrusday

it's funny closer we get to our goal we see that we can attain it and move it lower - I just didn't want to set myself up for failure - but it's so doable.

Hi Denise--yes---sorry--I did mean you. Thanks again. I'll let you know when I get it done.

Shortgal----AWWRRRRWWW!!!!!!! :) I'll be thinking about you and looking forward to your post regarding the proceedure.

Gdf18---I agree with Indigo---you'll get a better idea of what you want to do as you get closer. The thing is -- even though those BMI charts are quite good they are also only averages for thousands of samples. Each one of us may have more or less bone, muscle, water than the average person our height. Tomorrow AM I have an appointment to get a custom fat percent measurement done. Most people don't go to all of that commotion but I always have to make a production out of everything! LOL!

orea15---Hi. Welcome. Wow! You have already done a LOT of work!

Penny - yep I agree with the bmi chart not being use to fit all - I am told I look 120 that I a piette - I have always carried my weight well (evenly distribuated) also we have to take the whole age factor into consideratin too -

I've been losing weight on my own for the past 15 months, but I'm more than ready for some assistance. I've known for years that my hunger doesn't turn off correctly. That is where the band will hopefully come in. Orea

Welcome, Orea!

You've already made remarkable progress.

You've obviously already made significant lifestyle changes, especially regarding food!

KUDOS!!

You're going to do GREAT!!

I had nine fills and 9cc's in my band and still had hunger and lacked restriction. Had an x-ray last week and the Dr. believes my band is unlocked! I don't know if it has been unlocked the entire time or came unlocked along the way.

Fortunately my walking has prevented any weight gain and I have been able to maintain what I lost previously.

Wow!! I've never heard of such a thing!

You've done a great job in not gaining in that situation! Hope everything goes well for you.

Be sure and keep us posted!

I'm probably one in a million, so why couldn't I be one in a million with a lottery ticket instead?

And my Dr. says I'm the second patient he's had with this problem. I guess I wonder if he is forgetting to lock it or the locking device on my brand band has some issues.

No kidding.... you definitely ought to invest in some lottery tickets!!

I would wonder about the doctor's procedures if he's had that happen twice. My DH had a lifetime career in aviation... AF/Boeing, and then got his private pilot's license.

As a result, he is a BIG advocate of the CHECK LIST!!

Sounds like maybe your doctor needs a CHECK LIST!!

Insert BAND....

Engage LOCK......

:eek::):biggrin::mellow::biggrin::cool2::biggrin::tt2::biggrin::eek:

No offense, please!! Just funning you a little!

Have to also consider the band itself.

Wonder what brand he uses. Do you know?

Think that could be the problem??

I probably didn't read back far enough, but what is the pouch test?

Google 5 day pouch test - it's really for bypasser but at my support they said it was good for us banders too .

Essentially you go back to post op diet - liquids for a week then mushies then soft then regular - That is if I remember it correctly...

google it and you will find it and it will explain it better - remember the title of the thread 50+ - senior moments all the time :):lol:

Google 5 day pouch test - it's really for bypasser but at my support they said it was good for us banders too .

Essentially you go back to post op diet - liquids for a week then mushies then soft then regular - That is if I remember it correctly...

google it and you will find it and it will explain it better - remember the title of the thread 50+ - senior moments all the time :):lol:

I printed it up tonight.

Day 1 & 2: All liquids... Protein Drinks, etc, but LOW CARB

Day 3: Soft Protein... cottage cheese, canned fish, soft fish - grilled.

Day 4: Firm Protein.... ground meat, shellfish, scallops, salmon,halibut..

grilled, lightly seasoned.

Day 5: Solid Protein: White meat, poultry, steak