Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Carol and Lynn, thanks for the good wishes. I have been wanting someone in my life for a long time. Everyone told me I would find someone if I stopped looking. My thought was I would never find anyone unless I kept looking.

I never go anywhere so I knew there wasn't much of a chance to meet someone unless it was from a dating site. I sure met a lot of frogs before finding this person. He is worth the wait though!

I love this thread. Everyone is so kind to reply and make you feel welcome. This is the first place I come when on my computer. Thank you all.:thumbup:

Beverly - I agree, I get up in the morning nd first thing when I get home from work, I turn on computer and check out the thread

Denise- I am also on dating sites and take things as they come, I have met some great individuals, but like you, want to find someone, but not going to sweat over it. I have been divorced since 1998. My time will come....

Denise--While you are on the board I have a question for you. I read one of your post on another thread in which you described some type of medical test you took that measured your resting metabolic rate?? I mentioned it to my bariatric nurse because I want to do it. She said she never heard of anything like that. What is the specific name for the test? It sounds like you were saying that if you know what your resting rate is then you will know how many calories, carbs, Proteins, fats to eat? I really like the thought of having concrete proof of my nutrition needs. It sounds like it could take some of the guess work out of what I’m trying to do.

Speaking of testing, I’m scheduled to do the precision body fat analysis this Tues AM. I decided to get it done for 2 reasons. First, there is a 30lbs weight range for my height. I’m actually a rather muscular person so I just don’t know how accurate the BMI chart would be for me. I’d like to know exactly what percent of fat I have so I can get a better sense of what my goal should be. The other reason is that I think it would be helpful during times of weight loss stalls to actually be able to see proof that my body fat is really decreasing. I know we can use a tape measure but I just feel that it would be more encouraging for me if I could really see the medical proof in fat content. And – then IF the fat content is NOT going down then I really will have hard proof that I need to do something different.

LYNN1215,

I'm in exactly the same place you are. Eating well, but eating more and aware of it but not stopping. I had an uncontrollable Saturday. Of course, what I call uncontrollable now is nothing what that meant before. Now it means getting to 1800 calories- before it would be what, 3000? I also want another fill, but then after yesterday's eating and feeling like everything was just sliding on down, today I can barely eat. I had liquids all day- and they didn't even go down well. Tonight I had some veal stew- soft and warm- and that went down but I really don't feel great. My band seems to be tighter some days than others- even with the same food. I have been losing (getting a bit slower) and I see the doctor on Tuesday (no fill- just a follow-up). It's a month since my one fill of 2ccs. Yesterday I thought "GET ME A FILL ASAP", but today, I feel very constricted. So, I just don't know what to do. I guess I'll just talk to him about it. I'm going away for a week on the 16th, so I wouldn't go before then anyway, but this is yet another twist in the roadmap. Happy to be down close to 45, but wanting more!

I have a question for anyone ---

A couple of pages back there was a discussion about the percent of weight loss that is average for lap banders. I believe it's 56-60 percent of extra poundage. My question is- 50 to 60 (or more) percent of what number? The weight from those old insurance charts? From some other published "ideal weight" roster? And as they give a range, would you use the high, low, or some abstract average? I really want to know what number to use. Anyone?

Lynn, You are right. You will meet someone. I met a lot of people, but none were the right one for me, until now. It's so great to meet people when we feel more confident after losing weight.

Rugman, It's called a resting metabolic test. My surgeon's office had the equipment. I wasn't allowed to exercise for 48 hours before the test. It had to be done first thing in the morning 8am. They stuck something like a close pin on my nose, hooked me up to something that looked similar to a computer, and for 20 min. I had to breathe in and out of my mouth. Then I got a print out with a graph on it that showed where my metabolism was, which showed very slow. It said to

lose weight I had to consume 1,000-1200 calories per day, depending on how much exercise I did. It didn't tell me about fat calories, carbs or Proteins. I basically just counted calories. There are online sights to do that, but I used a book most of the time. Most things have the calories on the packages now a days. I also measured my food to make sure my portions were the same size as the postion listed.

Hope that helps.

Lynn--Thanks!! This is the info I was looking for. I'm going to print out your description and take it to my MD. I go to a large teaching hospital so someone there ought to be able to do or refer me for this testing. I stay between 1000/1200 but there are days that I wonder if I should be lower or higher in calories. I’m losing slowly right now and I want to do everything I can to get to the bottom of it. Could just be that I need to wait it out or maybe I need to do something different. Thanks again.

gdf18---I'm a researcher and perhaps I can help with your questions. When they do these studies on different sample groups they find that the mean (average) weight loss was 50-60% of the sample group's excessive weight according to the BMI charts currently presented by the CDC (national Center for Disease Control in Atlanta) . For example I was 43.0 BMI. That means I was 100lbs over weight. According the studies --- if I do average -- I can expect to lose 50 to 60lbs. But it's important to understand that the 50-60% is the AVERAGE results across many studies. That means-- if the statistical curves were normal -- then about half the people in the study lost less than that and half lost MORE than that. Sometimes the study reports give more information about WHY some people lost more or less than the average. There are many reasons why some people do better or worse. It can be about the band, the surgery, the surgeon, patients age, gender, race, metabolic issues etc.---But from what I have seen in the many studies that I have read, most of the time it’s because the people who follow their MD's aftercare instructions, stick to a good eating plan and exercise are the ones who usually do better than the average. That’s US!!! We are going to be GOOD and beat the average!!

Lynn--Thanks!! This is the info I was looking for. I'm going to print out your description and take it to my MD. I go to a large teaching hospital so someone there ought to be able to do or refer me for this testing. I stay between 1000/1200 but there are days that I wonder if I should be lower or higher in calories. I’m losing slowly right now and I want to do everything I can to get to the bottom of it. Could just be that I need to wait it out or maybe I need to do something different. Thanks again.

gdf18---I'm a researcher and perhaps I can help with your questions. When they do these studies on different sample groups they find that the mean (average) weight loss was 50-60% of the sample group's excessive weight according to the BMI charts currently presented by the CDC (national Center for Disease Control in Atlanta) . For example I was 43.0 BMI. That means I was 100lbs over weight. According the studies --- if I do average -- I can expect to lose 50 to 60lbs. But it's important to understand that the 50-60% is the AVERAGE results across many studies. That means-- if the statistical curves were normal -- then about half the people in the study lost less than that and half lost MORE than that. Sometimes the study reports give more information about WHY some people lost more or less than the average. There are many reasons why some people do better or worse. It can be about the band, the surgery, the surgeon, patients age, gender, race, metabolic issues etc.---But from what I have seen in the many studies that I have read, most of the time it’s because the people who follow their MD's aftercare instructions, stick to a good eating plan and exercise are the ones who usually do better than the average. That’s US!!! We are going to be GOOD and beat the average!!

Thanks for the info. My surgery is on the sixteenth of July. I went to pre-op and signed a paper stating that I understood that weight loss would be up to fifty or sixty per cent. It is only a tool. What we do with it determines our outcome. My son lost 120lbs in a year and then his dr retired and he did not go get a fill. He has gained back 60lb. Now he has found a new doctor and is back on track. I just don't want to get off track and fall off the "bandwagon". I am so thankful for LBT support group.

Hi everyone, I have not been on the forum much in the last two months as I have been busy with seasonal work.

In many of my posts along the way, you might have noticed I was always waiting for restriction and the right fill amount. Well, I had nine fills and 9cc's in my band and still had hunger and lacked restriction. Had an x-ray last week and the Dr. believes my band is unlocked! I don't know if it has been unlocked the entire time or came unlocked along the way.

I have a surgery date for him to go in and lock it. Hate the idea of being opened again and recovery etc. He says recovery should be easier as no port incision or stitching, just lock it and get out.

Fingers crossed he's right about it all when he gets in there.

At least I know why I was struggling to lose any more weight and I know it's not my fault.

Fortunately my walking has prevented any weight gain and I have been able to maintain what I lost previously.

I guess I will have to start all over again with the fill process however and that I am not looking forward to. I will discuss the option of at least one fill with floro with the Dr.

I have been checking new posts on the forum, so I am kind of following along with everyone still, just haven't had a lot of time to reply to many.

Yes, that is how I would describe it. The band is secured to the stomach but the diameter looks larger on the x-ray b/c it's not locked.

I'm probably one in a million, so why couldn't I be one in a million with a lottery ticket instead?

And my Dr. says I'm the second patient he's had with this problem. I guess I wonder if he is forgetting to lock it or the locking device on my brand band has some issues.

Hi everyone, I have not been on the forum much in the last two months as I have been busy with seasonal work.

In many of my posts along the way, you might have noticed I was always waiting for restriction and the right fill amount. Well, I had nine fills and 9cc's in my band and still had hunger and lacked restriction. Had an x-ray last week and the Dr. believes my band is unlocked! I don't know if it has been unlocked the entire time or came unlocked along the way.

I have a surgery date for him to go in and lock it. Hate the idea of being opened again and recovery etc. He says recovery should be easier as no port incision or stitching, just lock it and get out.

Fingers crossed he's right about it all when he gets in there.

At least I know why I was struggling to lose any more weight and I know it's not my fault.

Fortunately my walking has prevented any weight gain and I have been able to maintain what I lost previously.

I guess I will have to start all over again with the fill process however and that I am not looking forward to. I will discuss the option of at least one fill with floro with the Dr.

I have been checking new posts on the forum, so I am kind of following along with everyone still, just haven't had a lot of time to reply to many.

Hi Shortgal - I have been thinking about you !! Hadn't seen you around the boards in a while - was going to p.m. you but you know how that goes - you get a though then lose it :)

Sorry that they have to go back in and lock the band - but look how good you have done so far 43 lbs :biggrin: just imagine what it's going to be like once you have restriction :cool2:

Let us know when you go back in so we can say our prayers for a safe surgery and speedy recoverage - ya it shouldn't be as bad - I think for most of us our port site is what hurt the longest..

Hi all--

I had a fill 2 weeks ago and only had slight restriction--if any at all. I went in today for fill #2 and was changed from 3.1 to 5.7. The doc said, "You'll feel this!"

Uh-oh.

I can swallow Water, but let's see what happens when I can eat again on Wednesday evening.

Part of me is anxious to have a real change--let's knock this weight off!! Who's with me?

PS I went to a singles' dance in the community--got some attention for the first time in a long time. NSV!

Congratulations, Judy! Way to go! You will lose the rest of the weight---I'm sure of it. Your motivation is awesome!

Nancy

P.S. The NSV is even better, huh?