Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Thank you. I will slow down and drink less at one time. I don't have any physical complaints so I am not thinking it has slipped yet. Maybe I have been lucky, but will change my behavior.

Probably a good idea to change your behavior but i dont think you have to worry about a slip from drinking Water. Even if you drink way too fast, it would go through unless you are wayyyyy too tight in which case something besides water would cause the slip. You feel the gurgling when you are basically fairly tight, but not neccesarily too tight. If you were too tight for it to go through fast as you drink it, it would come up. :mad2: Relax, no need to panic.

Corliss

My Dr. and nutritionist emphasized that I'd be able to eat too much if I drank before, with, or after the meal. The band would not be able to do its job because the food would slide through instead of sitting in the new pouch for a long time making me feel full.

If you're able to gulp liquid you do not have much restriction yet. Tell your Dr. so they know you need a fill.

I got some skinny, stiff straws (I can reuse) that make it hard to gulp and force you to take tiny sips.

Sometimes, if your pouch is full of dense meat (which is the best thing to have to make best use of your band), drinking Water on top of it will put you in pain and possibly make you pb or slime.

My Dr. and nutritionist emphasized that I'd be able to eat too much if I drank before, with, or after the meal. The band would not be able to do its job because the food would slide through instead of sitting in the new pouch for a long time making me feel full.

If you're able to gulp liquid you do not have much restriction yet. Tell your Dr. so they know you need a fill.

I got some skinny, stiff straws (I can reuse) that make it hard to gulp and force you to take tiny sips.

Sometimes, if your pouch is full of dense meat (which is the best thing to have to make best use of your band), drinking Water on top of it will put you in pain and possibly make you pb or slime.

That's a great idea regarding the skinny straws. You don't take in too much air? I'm going for another fill this weekend, so I'll have better restriction after Saturday.

I was instructed no straws after surgery...let's too much air into your stomach and fills you up. Just what I was told by my surgeon...

I was instructed no straws after surgery...let's too much air into your stomach and fills you up. Just what I was told by my surgeon...

Yeah, some doctors say that. I've used straws ever since surgery and don't have a problem.

I was alos told no straws. I abided by this early on, but now use straws. I never have had an issues of getting in too much air with the straws.

I still have issues with some dense meats..pork, turkey burgers especially.. so I now shy away from them..live and learn what you can and cannot tolerate

I was alos told no straws. I abided by this early on, but now use straws. I never have had an issues of getting in too much air with the straws.

I still have issues with some dense meats..pork, turkey burgers especially.. so I now shy away from them..live and learn what you can and cannot tolerate

I swallow less air with the straws, maybe because they're so skinny. I can't gulp. Gulping adds air.

I stick to mostly dense meats or my band doesn't work. I can eat anything I want if its moist and as much as I want if I eat slowly enough and chew well enough. But I can only eat a small amount of dense meats and I have to stop--and they provide the Protein I need to lose weight. I know I wouldn't be losing weight if I didn't avoid sauces, noodles, rice, moist breads, and potatoes. Those are all slider foods that make even the meat slide through. I'm cautious with vegetables. If they're too moist they can make the meat slide through too fast also. Raw vegetables can get stuck so I eat my veggies pretty well done.

I like the restriction of dense meats. They force me to eat a lot less. They force me to eat very slowly and chew very well and I have no doubts about when I'm full.

Hi, I just found this board. May I join you? I was banded 7/10/09. I could really use the encouragement.

Hi, I just found this board. May I join you? I was banded 7/10/09. I could really use the encouragement.

Welcome, Margie! This is a great thread--I don't post much but I read it every day. Looks like you are doing fantastically! Good for you. Tell us a little about yourself. Where do you live? etc.

Welcome aboard! Karen

Welcome. These threads have really helped me. I post a lot. I also write a blog I started in June. IF YOUR STOMACH OFFENDS YOU, TIE IT OFF

I deal with a lot of issues that contribute to compulsive overeating.

Welcome Margie2U....I was banded on 7-2-09. You are doing great. Tell us about yourself. It seems the more you talk the more you get responses.

Im a hairdresser 36 years. I have been a yo yo for a long time. I lost 100 lbs twice , even taught weight watchers for awhile. Last year I was getting ready to teach Sunday School class and I came around the corner and lost the use of my left leg. It just hung there. I was in a wheelchair for about 6 wks till the doc decided it was all in my knee and scoped it. Well it wasnt the knee but now I have pain constantly in that knee. I went to another doc and he wants my back checked out. He also said my hip is bone on bone and if I want to continue to work it has to be replaced. My primary doc said the weight loss surgery would be a good idea so I went for it. My daughter had the band 10/1/08 and has lost 73 lbs. I go tomorrow for a test that will tell if I have to have back surgery. If I do then that will have to be done also. I havent been able to work since July 3rd. It hasnt been the best year but I know its only up after this.I cling to the verse "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Boy , do I know that.

Forgot to tell you I"m from Lyons Ks. I was banded at Overland Park.

Im a hairdresser 36 years. I have been a yo yo for a long time. I lost 100 lbs twice , even taught weight watchers for awhile. Last year I was getting ready to teach Sunday School class and I came around the corner and lost the use of my left leg. It just hung there. I was in a wheelchair for about 6 wks till the doc decided it was all in my knee and scoped it. Well it wasnt the knee but now I have pain constantly in that knee. I went to another doc and he wants my back checked out. He also said my hip is bone on bone and if I want to continue to work it has to be replaced. My primary doc said the weight loss surgery would be a good idea so I went for it. My daughter had the band 10/1/08 and has lost 73 lbs. I go tomorrow for a test that will tell if I have to have back surgery. If I do then that will have to be done also. I havent been able to work since July 3rd. It hasnt been the best year but I know its only up after this.I cling to the verse "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Boy , do I know that.

Welcome, Margie!

I've had knee issues for close to 10 years and, except for around the house, have had to rely on an electric scooter to get around for probably the last 5-6 years. LapBand surgery was a little over 2 years ago and I've lost over 120 lb. Three weeks ago I had knee replacement surgery. And today.... I walked 1/2 mile!! I am excited!

Wishing you GREAT success!!

That is one of my very favorite scriptures, BTW!!

Hi all-

Today I went for my visit at the surgeon and spoke to him about this thread. He said that you are lucky that the band has not slipped but since it has NOT yet just change your drinking habit and he suggested that you speak to your surgeon :)

I am so happy because I lost 10 lbs after the fill and I was not exercising like I had done prior to my leave (see blog ...story to long)...anyway I am so happy because I have NOt weighed myself but this morning ...looked in the mirror and could see the fat is sliding off :sad:

Today,,,I was so BUSY..I almost missed my drs appointment.

I will be seeing him in 2 months before Thanksgiving..which his receptionist thought it was funny (NOT ME) MY SURGEON ASKed that if I could get to my preproblem..leaving weight I would feel great and he is right...so lleave office and reality strikes...had a lot of work waiting for me )work from home :unsure:

But. I will get my signature to work and work at the fat slip off

Hope all is well

Laura