Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi, Katy! So good to hear from you again. Hang in there! You've been through a LOT!

Thanks for the kudos! Not bad for an OLD chick, huh! Weight loss goes very slow for me because of exercise restrictions, but it's coming off! Knee surgery in two weeks will help as mobility increases! We miss you!

Thank you Phyllser, much appreciated.

Both my parents have had their knees replaced in the last 12 months. Dad had one and is doing fine but won't listen to his physio and does his own thing re exersize. Mum has had both done, seperately and is ok but doesn't exersize enough. Her weight is slowing her down but she won't give up her jelly lollies and ice cream no matter what she's told.

Good luck with your op, keep up with the physio and do what they say and you'll be fine.

Best wishes, Katy.:cool::smile2::)

Another suggestion.... google "Five Day Pouch Test". It's a great way to get a jump start when you get stalled!

I was also going to suggest the "five day pouch test". I know several have used it as a boost or a tool to get back in touch.

I have struggled for a few months and maintianed and gained. no big loss.

I went ahead with my TT and thigh lift, almost 2 weeks post-op. I admit I may have rushed it, but am satisfied where I am and felt the "improvement" in my flabby appearance was a boost I needed. Like all surgeries the recovery sucks.. but we can heal, move forward and improve our life.

Good luck to all the knee replacements. I know the knees and back seem to be the main issues with the excess weight.

We all are moving forward and improving ALL aspects of our lives. Things just keep getting better

Phyll--I thought of one more exercise for the knees that I did before and after surgery. Stand holding on to counter or back of chair. Squat just a little. Bend your knees only a few inches and hold. Keep your back straight. Go down very slowly and come up very slowly. Gradually increase the amount of time you hold the squat. Do throughout the day.

I was also going to suggest the "five day pouch test". I know several have used it as a boost or a tool to get back in touch.

I went ahead with my TT and thigh lift, almost 2 weeks post-op. I admit I may have rushed it, but am satisfied where I am and felt the "improvement" in my flabby appearance was a boost I needed. Like all surgeries the recovery sucks.. but we can heal, move forward and improve our life.

Good luck to all the knee replacements. I know the knees and back seem to be the main issues with the excess weight.

We all are moving forward and improving ALL aspects of our lives. Things just keep getting better

It is so good to hear you are doing so well. Take care of yourself!

I want to get my thighs done SO BAD!! I hate the way they look. All the other flab I can deal with, but my legs are SO ugly! Talked to three PS offices and bottom line is... they want me at goal and I've got a way to go.

Phyll--I thought of one more exercise for the knees that I did before and after surgery. Stand holding on to counter or back of chair. Squat just a little. Bend your knees only a few inches and hold. Keep your back straight. Go down very slowly and come up very slowly. Gradually increase the amount of time you hold the squat. Do throughout the day.

Thanks so much! I appreciate you sending me those.

7_5_137.gif

I want to get my thighs done SO BAD!! I hate the way they look. All the other flab I can deal with, but my legs are SO ugly! Talked to three PS offices and bottom line is... they want me at goal and I've got a way to go.

I am about 20 # over my original goal, but realized I was happy at this weight so went ahead with the PS. Still have to find out how much weight was "cut off" at surgery..along with the lipo..Right now the itching around the stitches is driving me crazy. Last drain to be removed tomorrow..yippee. still lots of swelling to deal with, but improving everyday.

I found each PS i went to had different ideas on the best process for surgery. What to do, How much and recovery time. I was told if all was good getting back to work after 2 weeks would be ok. Heck no. I can't sit upright in a chair for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. and my job is a desk job. So if all goes well back to work on Aug 24. depending on DR appt next week, maybe half days the end of next week. Time will tell. but do not want to rush anything as I usually have a tendency to do. Better to take the extra time than chance any kind of relapse

I am about 20 # over my original goal, but realized I was happy at this weight so went ahead with the PS. Still have to find out how much weight was "cut off" at surgery..along with the lipo..Right now the itching around the stitches is driving me crazy. Last drain to be removed tomorrow..yippee. still lots of swelling to deal with, but improving everyday.

I found each PS i went to had different ideas on the best process for surgery. What to do, How much and recovery time. I was told if all was good getting back to work after 2 weeks would be ok. Heck no. I can't sit upright in a chair for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. and my job is a desk job. So if all goes well back to work on Aug 24. depending on DR appt next week, maybe half days the end of next week. Time will tell. but do not want to rush anything as I usually have a tendency to do. Better to take the extra time than chance any kind of relapse

Hi Lynnt1215,

Good to hear that you're doing so well. Do your private insurance companies pay for the plastic surgeries over there? No insurance companies over here in Australia will cover any part of cosmetic surgery to the face or neck even if it is through weight loss. Not sure about arms or legs either.

For a Tummy Tuck they will pay a small amount of the surgeons fee and will cover the hospital but the patient still has to pay the majority. With our Government harping on about all the overweight people here, you'd think they'd come to the party a bit more by helping to cover the costs of lopping the loose bits off after the fat has gone.

I treated myself last Friday by having Juveraderm injections for the fine wrinkles in my top lip. Ouch! I'm a big wuz! I really can't see there's much difference though for $450. A nasty bruise in one place but I guess I can't expect miracles.

I'm just not ready for wrinkles yet! The fat filled them out before but I still don't want to go back to that size again.

Best wishes to all.

Katy.:w00t:

It's getting close!! I remember that excitement it's great. I was also emotional right before because I was in and out of doctor's offices and hosptitals ...it reminded me of when my mother was sick...ehh gad did I have a melt day a few days before surgery. It was just pent up emotions ...good I finally let it out and the nurses didn't put me in the phycho wing!:@IJ

back on antibiotics. chance of an infection at part of the incision, so better to be cautious and treat before anything serious occurs. otherwise doing better. still sitting and relaxing alot, legs elevated and a bit reclined. such is the life !!!

Splurged today and bought some new shirts for work.. everthing I have is for my flabby stomach, butt and back, so decided I needed to have something to wow them with when I go back to work!!

definitely glad I decided to go ahead with all the work..

Lynn, Good for you in going ahead with your PS. At this point in my life, I believe if it makes you feel better. Hope everything stays healthy (no infections) and your recovery goes smoothly.

I swore I would not have a face lift...I've only lost around 30 pounds and my face is already sagging and has some interesting new wrinkles. So when I get close to goal, the first thing I will probably get done is the face. I will get a TT in my future, but that I can hide for a while.

Phyll, good luck with the knee surgery. My friend had both of hers done and she is able to move much easier now. She actually had to have one done twice because one of them broke. But all seems better now.

I'm fortunate right now because my knees don't really bother me, but I do have hip and back issues. I am completely off my prescription antiflammatory and wish to stay that way. So it's weight loss and exercise (gentle in the pool exercise). When the pool gets too cold, then I will be walking.

Have a great night ladies.

ee

I just found this thread and am excited to know that others my age made this choice also. I have learned a lot through all the years of yo yo diets and can loose 30 pounds; but then gain it back and more. With the band I know this is it. I am saying goodbye to this weight for the last time. I want to go into the next stage of my life healthier, feeling better and with more energy. My children are proud of me that I didn't get to this age and just give up on my weight because I am "older". I was banded July 22 2009 and will have my first fill 9-4-09. I am happy to share a thread with other spirited people who are still working on making their lives better.

I just found this thread and am excited to know that others my age made this choice also. I have learned a lot through all the years of yo yo diets and can loose 30 pounds; but then gain it back and more. With the band I know this is it. I am saying goodbye to this weight for the last time. I want to go into the next stage of my life healthier, feeling better and with more energy. My children are proud of me that I didn't get to this age and just give up on my weight because I am "older". I was banded July 22 2009 and will have my first fill 9-4-09. I am happy to share a thread with other spirited people who are still working on making their lives better.

Welcome:

This is a great place for friendship, knowledge and fun. Ask quastion, let us know your concerns, how you sre feeling. I have not seen anything off limits for discussion.. except maybe politics!!

Hi Kay Ellen, Glad I found this thread and glad you are here. I was banded for the second time (lost first due to a slip) on June 18, 09 and had face lift and brachioplasty June 23, 2009. I had lost 203 lbs and regained and lost to the point that I was 50 lbs above goal when I had plastics. I carry most of my wt. in my legs so I was sooooo in need of face lift and brachioplasty and I got it! I love the results. Now I look on the outside like I feel on the inside!

I don't think of myself as old. Other people do though. I finished nursing school in 2007 after a 30 year career as a medical social worker and most of my co-workers are in their 20s and 30s. To top it all off, I looked so much older than I was and than I felt, many of them don't know what to make of me, but that is their problem. I can work rings around most of them, lol!

I may even go for the boobs and Tummy Tuck in a year or so, who knows? I probably won't cause it packs away pretty nice as is, I just need to focus on getting to goal now.

Keep your eye on your goal. I intend to live my last 50 or what may come active and healthy, both physically and mentally. I was encarcerated in a jail of fat for far too long, and I am making up for lost time.:blink:

Corliss

Edited by Corliss
grammer

Corliss, congrats on getting your nursing degree. And working rings around the younger set.. I know our work ethic as older people in the work force is so much different from those younger. I see it a work myself and want to scream. These younger kids don't know what a hard day of work really is!