Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

My PA told me that tissue forms around the band causing it to be fairly securely set into the stomach. Don't worry about stuff it causes the band to get tighter! ;)

lynn, Amen to that! I'm really down today and thought I'd just take a lookc.About work, My husbands company has been doing lay offs and this round he was let go. On his birthday no less! He turned 64. They kept someone 1/2 his age and 1/2 the $ but believe me, they will be getting 1/2 the work. CRAP! Bummer of a week, actually 3 weeks now. Trying to stay focused and not gain. I'm hungry all the time. Have 4cc in my 10cc band. Go in again in 3 weeks. Just venting. Everyone have a good eve.

Question......What happens to the band if I get the flu. Does constant vomiting move the band?

I had the dry heaves for about an hour here about 3 wks ago. As far as I know I didn't do any damage to the band placement but I should find out for sure tommorrow as I go for my first fill and it will be under fluoro. I do plan to ask for an RX of phenergan to have on hand just in case this happens again.

Corliss

lynn, Amen to that! I'm really down today and thought I'd just take a lookc.About work, My husbands company has been doing lay offs and this round he was let go. On his birthday no less! He turned 64. They kept someone 1/2 his age and 1/2 the $ but believe me, they will be getting 1/2 the work. CRAP! Bummer of a week, actually 3 weeks now. Trying to stay focused and not gain. I'm hungry all the time. Have 4cc in my 10cc band. Go in again in 3 weeks. Just venting. Everyone have a good eve.

So sorry to hear about your DH. It's a tough market out there and I hope your DH finds another job soon. I've watched my company force out people with the skill and ability and willingness to do a good job for a younger/cheaper person. I think in the long run, service will suffer from it. Hang in there until your fill, you know you can do it.

ee

Hi Kay Ellen, Glad I found this thread and glad you are here. I was banded for the second time (lost first due to a slip) on June 18, 09 and had face lift and brachioplasty June 23, 2009. I had lost 203 lbs and regained and lost to the point that I was 50 lbs above goal when I had plastics. I carry most of my wt. in my legs so I was sooooo in need of face lift and brachioplasty and I got it! I love the results. Now I look on the outside like I feel on the inside!

I don't think of myself as old. Other people do though. I finished nursing school in 2007 after a 30 year career as a medical social worker and most of my co-workers are in their 20s and 30s. To top it all off, I looked so much older than I was and than I felt, many of them don't know what to make of me, but that is their problem. I can work rings around most of them, lol!

I may even go for the boobs and Tummy Tuck in a year or so, who knows? I probably won't cause it packs away pretty nice as is, I just need to focus on getting to goal now.

Keep your eye on your goal. I intend to live my last 50 or what may come active and healthy, both physically and mentally. I was encarcerated in a jail of fat for far too long, and I am making up for lost time.:)

Corliss

Hi Corlis,

I love the bit where you say you were "incarcerated in a jail of fat" etc... because that is so very true. That is exactly what it becomes, jail!!

Congrats for getting your degree and your wonderful outlook on life. I'd go for the ps as well but it's way out of my $ range unfortunately.

Good on you. :hurray:

Katydid

Hi Corlis,

I love the bit where you say you were "incarcerated in a jail of fat" etc... because that is so very true. That is exactly what it becomes, jail!!

Congrats for getting your degree and your wonderful outlook on life. I'd go for the ps as well but it's way out of my $ range unfortunately.

Good on you. :)

Katydid

Thanks Katydid, I think though the ps cost is a burden, (I spent money I did not have), that it was sort of a neccesary one for me as everytime I looked in the mirror I wanted to cry. I had lost all that weight only to leave my face looking like a 75 year old instead of a 57 year old. My arms were so bad they were disfigured. Hopefully I will stay healthy enough and employed and will be able to repay my pension plan for the money I borrowed. Everyone has to make that decision for themselves and I realize I am fortunate to have at least had that option. I just think of it as getting my self fixed up rather than buying another car which I really would not have thought a thing about a few years ago. I would just sweat to make the payments on time. I am driving a clunker and will continue to do so as long as it runs, LOL! :hurray:

I don't know about cost of plastics in Australia, but Mexico was a much cheaper alternative for plastics and especially for lap band than the US, as I had to private pay. If you are seriously interested you could go through one of the Medical Tourism companies if you see India or another country as a possibility. I am not real good on geography and have no idea the cost or wisdom of flying from Australia to Mx or Costa Rica, but they do great work there and have many many reputable surgeons and hospitals, and I hear they do in India.

Anyhow, just thought I would throw that in incase you or anyone was interested!

Corliss

Edited by Corliss

Wow, we all have so much going on

Hate the tactics of companyies these days. letting go the knowledgeable, experienced worker for the young kid who doesn't want to do the job, and not having all that experience. Companies are really biting themselves in the butt over their behavior..

Just got back from PS follow up. All is well.

may need a bit of evision on the upper thigh area. still alot of swelling, so waiting to see how that resolves anything. if not a small procedure in DR office and not extra time lost from work. back to work for half days next week.. then full schedule after that..

As we all move forward, just hink of where we were awhile ago. now, healthier, hopefully happier and moving forward!

My DH lost his job over a year ago. He only had that one a year. He had a horrible job at Best Buy for a while before that, sold cars before that because of a lay off from a decent 5 yr job before that. Older workers really do get shafted. They don't get hired for the jobs they're qualified for either because companies don't want to insure them. My husband took early retirement so at least he's getting Soc.Sec. I've been encouraging him to start looking again. He's had so many bad experiences but now my job is precarious and he can make up to $13,000 a year without losing his Soc.Sec.

Corliss, I'm 57 and had my first surgery June 18. What do you mean you lost your band due to a slip?

Corliss, I'm 57 and had my first surgery June 18. What do you mean you lost your band due to a slip?

LOL, just what I said, I lost my first band due to a slip. Technically the band didn't slip the stomach did. It moved up above the band and my stomach stayed irritated and inflamed and eventually nothing would go through even though I had no Fluid. I had it removed Sept 19, and had the new band placed June 18. I had my first fill today. It feels good to not want to eat.:sad:

Corliss

I just got this from Lapband (Allergan) Thought you who have their bands might be interested in this info

Dear LAP-BAND® System Advocacy Council Members,

I hope the summer finds you well and enjoying vacation with friends and family. For some time now, I’ve wanted to introduce a means of sharing information and ideas. If you agree, I’d like to create an online exchange of valuable information. You’ve provided valuable insight in the past, and I’d like to make sure I continue to listen to your ideas, as well as provide you with new information that you can share.

Initially, I’ll be sending out information and resources via email for you to use on your discussion board, site and/or practices. Hopefully you can help me shape our experience over the coming months with information and resources that will benefit your members.

Did You Know?

My LAP-BAND® Journey email and online support program has added exclusive partnerships with Lindora® and Curves®, two leading weight-loss support companies.

My LAP-BAND® TLC Program by Lindora®

LAP-BAND® Therapeutic Lifestyle Change Program, from the medical weight-loss experts at Lindora®, is a free 10-week program to help maximize weight-loss results. LAP-BAND® Therapeutic Lifestyle Change Program participants get 24/7 access to a “virtual clinic,” two 1-1 personal support calls with a Lindora® Health Educator, and unlimited email support. Plus 20% savings on Lindora® TLC nutritional products, supplements and support tools.

The program is designed exclusively for LAP-BAND® patients who’ve had their first adjustment and need a little extra TLC as they transition from soft to solid food. It’s also perfect if you’ve had the LAP-BAND® for 6, 8, 12, 24 months or 5 years and feel like you need to “reboot” with a little structure to get motivated and back on track. Check out the details:

Lapband.com - Exclusive LAP-BAND® TLC - Lindora® - Post-Op Weight Loss Support Program

Discount Membership to Curves®

Curves®, the largest fitness franchise in the world, offers female LAP-BAND® System patients a 2-week free trial membership. After the free trial, get 50% off the membership initiation fee and 10% off monthly dues. Curves® offers trained coaches to help you incorporate safe exercise into the fitness journey.

Lapband.com - Curves® Free 2-week Trial - Lap-band® Post-surgery Exclusive

Visit lapband.com to take advantage of these partnerships, and please spread the word about these exciting programs with other LAP-BAND® System patients. I haveattached a fact sheet on the new partnerships for you to read and pass along if you like.

Edited by IndioGirl55

Well, I am having my gallbladder removed on Friday. I've been really having a lot of pain lately so it's time to split up with my GB and say goodbye.

Keep me in your prayers on Friday

Well, I am having my gallbladder removed on Friday. I've been really having a lot of pain lately so it's time to split up with my GB and say goodbye.

We will and I hope your recover is quick and painless.

Lynn, glad to hear the PS is going well. Are you in much pain?

I'm such a baby, I know I will get PS when I lose this weight, but yuck on the pain. I will have to self pay and will probably go back to Mexico too. Guess I'll cross that bridge next year.

Take care all.

Eva

I am sure all will go well. I am trying to avoid same surgery. Luckily for me my FMLA starts over in Sept. so maybe I can hold out. Trying to eat by the gall bladder diet. I am going for a scan prob next week. Just got my first fill with this new band, so as the wt loss cranks up I do hope the gall bladder attacks don't. OUCH!

Corliss:thumbup:

Hi everyone!

I just found this thread, someone on the intro thread mentioned it. Wow, I can't believe there are so many of us over 50 going through this! A week ago, I would have sworn to you that I would never have WLS. But on Thursday, I went for my annual GYN exam, and my holistic-minded, all natural, fight the establishment doctor told me YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING, my weight is out of control. She recommended Lap Band! So I am going to the meeting on Sept. 3rd. I have spent the past few days pouring over the info on this site and for the most part everyone seems happy with the results of this process. I have changed a lot of misconceptions already, like this is the easy way out. Far from it! Sounds pretty hard to me! Lap Band is obviously a TOOL not a quick fix. Ironically, I try to eat healthy foods, I never consume artificial sweeteners or soda. But you know, they do make organic potato chips and cheese puffs!!

So I called my insurance company, they will cover 80% after a 6 month supervised diet. I have found out that my local hospital will not do the surgery anyway until you have gone through their 6 month pre-op program regardless of your insurance, I think that is a good thing.

Happy to be here, looking forward to getting to know you all better. I live in Bethlehem, PA.

Deb:smile2:

Hi everyone!

I just found this thread, someone on the intro thread mentioned it. Wow, I can't believe there are so many of us over 50 going through this! A week ago, I would have sworn to you that I would never have WLS. But on Thursday, I went for my annual GYN exam, and my holistic-minded, all natural, fight the establishment doctor told me YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING, my weight is out of control. She recommended Lap Band! So I am going to the meeting on Sept. 3rd. I have spent the past few days pouring over the info on this site and for the most part everyone seems happy with the results of this process. I have changed a lot of misconceptions already, like this is the easy way out. Far from it! Sounds pretty hard to me! Lap Band is obviously a TOOL not a quick fix. Ironically, I try to eat healthy foods, I never consume artificial sweeteners or soda. But you know, they do make organic potato chips and cheese puffs!!

So I called my insurance company, they will cover 80% after a 6 month supervised diet. I have found out that my local hospital will not do the surgery anyway until you have gone through their 6 month pre-op program regardless of your insurance, I think that is a good thing.

Happy to be here, looking forward to getting to know you all better. I live in Bethlehem, PA.

Deb:smile2:

so many differences in pre-op rituals. I have talked to some who see the DR. and get scheduled.. I had appt with pulmonology, cardiology, sleep apnea study, psychology. a whole process. I think the better work up and pre-op education is the best way to go. and support groups are a must.. god luck