Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

BEST 50th birthday present ever! After my 2nd fill which was 2 weeks ago i found my "sweet spot"! Whhaahooo after so many trials (and there still are a few) I am losing weight consistently, eating healthy small portions, exercising more and having a much smaller appetite. I should be down 25 lbs. by my 50th Birthday on the 16 of this month!! I can't believe it ....my plan worked! I love my band and I am so happy I got this proceedure done! Being this age and a lower BMI I had my doubts. At 49 I know this was the only I could stop gaining and get to a healthy BMI....

PS Also went off BP meds yesterday!!! :tt2::tt1::tt1::tt1:

Congrats Sooverit :thumbup:

Haven't heard from you in a while - You are a lucky one like me to get to your sweet spot so fast.

Pre-Happy 50th - I love my 50's especially since I have lost the weight..

Kept up the good work - it really is a lifestyle change...

OMG Joann, those quilts are gorgeous. I particularlylike the Flagstone path one.

Peaches, don't sell yourself short those are gorgeous too. Way more than I could do. I have quilted some and only have done a logcabin pattern.

My talent? used to have a craft business and sold painted wood stuff. DH carves and we sold tons of hand carved fish and santas. He carved and I painted. Have also done some colored pencil but I have to copy something.

Busy with Grandma and mom and dad here, computer time limited, but trying to at least read.

Long - Hugs - I know it has to be trying even though you are glad to have them visit (well GM is staying)..

Yes Janet, I am really going through with the sleeve. I am worried about gaining weight because I can't get my band as tight as where I had it when I got to goal. I am sick of watching every single bite I put in my mouth and worrying what the scale is going to do. I am also sick of worrying that if I get a fill, I am going to start puking in my sleep again. That was very traumatic for me.

I hate my port which sticks out of me like an egg. I have so much scar tissue between my port and my band around the tubing, that I can hardly bend at the waist.

Yes, I am having it done by Dr. Aceves and yes, I am self paying. I think my health is more important than my children's inheritance.

Oregondaisy -When are you having it done - is Wasa going with you.. I hope I don't lose my band - I am lucky so far no reflux or any other issues - but heck who knows what's going on inside me... My doc does blind fills and I haven't had one since last January - lately I think I may need a tweek - but really don't know cuz you know how fickle our bands can be..

When I went to the lapband council last June - they asked Dr Dixon if we should periodocicly get and upper gi (or whatever the test would be) to ck for erossion - and he said no - if you don't have symptoms not to worry.. Well heck I have read that the only symptom some pple have is just no restriction - there is no pain..

My Dad said once why am I going to buy life insurance to leave other rich... I beleive in spending it if you can - enjoy it now - you worked hard for it..

My port sticks out a little and ya it's like an egg.. Oh you have scar tissue - I guess I don't cuz I don't have a problem bending..

Well, don't you still have to watch what you eat - (the whole eating healthy issue) What I've read (only a little) you still absorbe your calories - The sleeve is almost like a permanet band (well the cut your excess stomach and leave you will a smaller one like our pouch)

I am happy for you - and want to know when you are having it done - so I can keep you in my prayers - and now I will know 2 (well I think I know one other on that board can't remember her name) pple - so if I ever do have a problem - I know who to contact -

Seeing if my ticker changes

Congrats on that ticker - isn't it so great to update it and it keeps going down - WTG :mellow:

Hi all, I don't post here very often, but so enjoy reading what you all are talking about... Some are having such struggles and having been in places like that myself upon occassion in my life, I can surely sympathize.. My prayers go with you that everything will turn out very well..

I have love reading about these beautiful quilts and have made a few in my day, but only regular block ones just for use on a bed... I do love to crochet and was especially happy when I was making all the cute little things for my new granddaughter. I even made her baptismal gown.. It was gorgeous.. Never think to take pictures of the things I make... Haven't done it much lately.. I also am a singer and have done so many weddings and funerals that I have lost track of them all.. When I was young (20's) I used to take my 12 string guitar and entertain in the local bars on Saturday nights.. Love country, gospel, and oldies music....

Take care and thanks for all the good information and just letting me listen in while you all visit and share.. Julie

OMW Julie - now I know so much more about you :cool2:

Okay... I took a few days to think about what my talents are.

At this point in my life... mostly computer skills, I guess. I enjoy digital photography but my strength is mostly quantitiy and not necessarily quality... except thatwhen you take a LOT of pictures, you get some good ones here and there! :rolleyes:

[/url]

I think I have pretty good organizational skills, but somehow that doesn't extend to having control over my clutter. I seem to be somewhat of a pack rat and I especially have trouble getting rid of paper stuff... books, magazines, interesting articles I'll probably never look at again, etc.

I think I'm a good listener, but don't know if that's a "talent" or not!

I have some musical talent, but don't use it much anymore. I play the piano but have let myself get rusty even though I have quite a sophisticated electric piano at home... Yamaha Clavinova with a lot of bells and whistles that I really need to learn to use a little better! I used to play piano for our church and led an orchestra and song leaders for a while. I sing in the choir here in our RV park. I'm not a soloist, though. I have a low voice, so I sing with the tenors, along with another gal. A couple of weeks ago, the choir director said, "guys, I want you to sing this solo part." She and I looked at each other and grinned wondering if that meant us, too or not! So we asked him if we were guys or girls for that part! He told us to sing. In high school I played the flute and did quite well on it. Since high school I've played at church, but now too much arthritis in my fingers.

5_6_14.gif

So... most of my "talents" are "used to" talents! I used to sew all my kids' clothes, too! Matching outfits for all four!

I never made any quilts, but crocheted a LOT of afghans and hats, scarves, etc.

Phyl - Talent - being a WONDERFUL GREAT FREIND !!!   I can attest to her being a good listener...

Charlene - I thought I read somewhere (could be totally wrong) that insurance does cover it.. I didn't know about it until I got on this site and Wasa talked about it.. I have talked to another lady who's going to be banded this summer and she had a freind who had the sleeve and I think she said insurance covered it..

I wonder if something happend and you have to have your band out for a few months and you have a normal bmi - would insurance cover it to be put back in since you are no longer obese

In 2008 Aetna in Texas did not pay for gastric sleeve. I went with my DH in December for the seminar and they still were not paying in Texas. He did say one patient that was self pay had complications, and her insurance did pay for the complications. There are probably a few insurance companies that pay in other states. Yep, they do basically cut you stomach to a pouch. The hormone in the stomach that causes hunger is gone. You do absorb all of the calories, but you don't eat much. You do have to take more Vitamins than with the band.

Hey 50 @ over gang, I went to the Dr. 2day for my consult, have to go on pre-op diet for 3 wks. and then I have my surgery on 04-06-09 ,any ideas to make this as easy as possible ?

Can someone out there tell me how to copy my tickerfactory on my blog/?

In 2008 Aetna in Texas did not pay for gastric sleeve. I went with my DH in December for the seminar and they still were not paying in Texas. He did say one patient that was self pay had complications, and her insurance did pay for the complications. There are probably a few insurance companies that pay in other states. Yep, they do basically cut you stomach to a pouch. The hormone in the stomach that causes hunger is gone. You do absorb all of the calories, but you don't eat much. You do have to take more Vitamins than with the band.
Hey 50 @ over gang, I went to the Dr. 2day for my consult, have to go on pre-op diet for 3 wks. and then I have my surgery on 04-06-09 ,any ideas to make this as easy as possible ?

Welcome Doodlebug !!

#1 thing to know that your band is only a tool - it's not going to lose the weight for you - it's a great tool to help you make the lifetime lifestyle changes in your eating habit but that's all it is.. The band makes you feel fuller on a smaller amount of food *hard proteins) once you get proper restriction- but even with proper restriction - it's not going to stop you from eating a half gallon of ice cream - a bag of candy - Cookies - cake or high fat foods.

#2 Follow your doctors orders to a T - All our doc's have different instructions - you have to follow yours..

#3 - Don't eat when you are suppose to be on liquids - as you can damage your band (stiches that holds it in place)

#4 - Start an exercise program

#5 - Know that the band isn't going to stop your head hunger issues - remember they are banding our tummies and not our heads - I will be pouch full but still hungry (saitey) so that is something that you have to work on - and your new full is diff than what full use to feel like.

#6 - Keep a food diary - there are many online programs - I kept my own little notebook - but there's dailyplate.com - fitday.com - sparkspeople.com

Here a link with directions

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/

Oregondaisy -When are you having it done - is Wasa going with you.. I hope I don't lose my band - I am lucky so far no reflux or any other issues - but heck who knows what's going on inside me... My doc does blind fills and I haven't had one since last January - lately I think I may need a tweek - but really don't know cuz you know how fickle our bands can be..

Hi Janet,

Yea, I will still have to watch what I eat, but I think with the sleeve it will be easier. The band is fickle. Some days I have good restriction, other days, I feel I can eat way too much. I know it's up to me to do the work, but

from what I have heard, the sleeve makes the work a little easier than the band.

Plus all this stuff with Katy really has me freaked out. I know so many people who are having band problems all of a sudden around here, who have had the band for years with no trouble.

WasA is supposed to drive over, but I just won't know until it happens. My surgery date is 5-6. She works so many hours, sometimes she is not able to take time off from work.

It's really scary to me, as I do know that they chop off your stomach but the band is scaring me too. I have heard of cases where the band can damage the stomach to a point that no other WLS is possible. I hope I have made the right decision.

[/b][/color][/size]

Hi Janet,

Yea, I will still have to watch what I eat, but I think with the sleeve it will be easier. The band is fickle. Some days I have good restriction, other days, I feel I can eat way too much. I know it's up to me to do the work, but

from what I have heard, the sleeve makes the work a little easier than the band.

Plus all this stuff with Katy really has me freaked out. I know so many people who are having band problems all of a sudden around here, who have had the band for years with no trouble.

WasA is supposed to drive over, but I just won't know until it happens. My surgery date is 5-6. She works so many hours, sometimes she is not able to take time off from work.

It's really scary to me, as I do know that they chop off your stomach but the band is scaring me too. I have heard of cases where the band can damage the stomach to a point that no other WLS is possible. I hope I have made the right decision.

D

Ya I understand totally - lately I feel I am able to eat more but then the next day I get full fast.. Kathy story is very scary - but I do chalk some of it up to a bad doc to begin with - and you know what - crap happens - it's the luck of the draw.. I really haven't venture from my mentor thread - and my Lucky #7 and this one - I hate reading about the complications (I'm Scarlett O'Hara or an Ostrich).

I went to the sleeve thread - I didn't know you were such a baby about pain :rolleyes:- and can't beleivve you didn't have pain after your band - I woke up in PAIN but it was just the first 24 hrs really... Well that and the stupid port - they shoud design one that's low profile :0)

How's your weight doing since your unfill -

So you are going overthere by yourself - have you already met with the Dr.. I would need someone to hold my hand - I go to Mexico (well did w/my xdh but he spoke spanish I don't)- but it still sorta scares me - finding a doc who will touch you here in the states if you have a problem..

But I would look into it if I lost my band - I am just thankful that so far so good...

I am flying down to San Diego. They will pick me up and take me to the hospital. I have a friend who had the sleeve done by Dr. Aceves. I actually talked her out of the band and she is so glad. I told her having fills and unfills is really a pain in the neck. You're lucky Janet in that respect that you found your sweet spot early . I can't count how many fills I have had. I would probably say 9 as well as 3 unfills.

I've talked with them a lot on the phone. Most of the nurses do speak English. Dr. Aceves speaks English. He is the most experienced with band to sleeve revisions. My dr. has never even done one sleeve.

I really trust WasA. We talk on the phone all the time, and we have gotten together every time I go to Phoenix.

I know there are people on the board who find her abrasive, but she is very kind and caring, as well as very intelligent.

I am pretty freaked out, but when I think hard about it, I feel like this is a good decision. When I think about having a piece of silicone wrapped around my stomach, I get freaked out too. I have always been a worrier. I am unable to be an ostrich!

I am flying down to San Diego. They will pick me up and take me to the hospital. I have a friend who had the sleeve done by Dr. Aceves. I actually talked her out of the band and she is so glad. I told her having fills and unfills is really a pain in the neck. You're lucky Janet in that respect that you found your sweet spot early . I can't count how many fills I have had. I would probably say 9 as well as 3 unfills.

I've talked with them a lot on the phone. Most of the nurses do speak English. Dr. Aceves speaks English. He is the most experienced with band to sleeve revisions. My dr. has never even done one sleeve.

I really trust WasA. We talk on the phone all the time, and we have gotten together every time I go to Phoenix.

I know there are people on the board who find her abrasive, but she is very kind and caring, as well as very intelligent.

I am pretty freaked out, but when I think hard about it, I feel like this is a good decision. When I think about having a piece of silicone wrapped around my stomach, I get freaked out too. I have always been a worrier. I am unable to be an ostrich!

I agree with you on Wasa - do you know that she and I had a little spat when I first joined lbt :thumbup: and yes she can be abrasive - put she posted once that typing and talking are two diff mediums - I can say something like "oh what are you talking about" and you can see my face and hear the tone of my voice - but when I type those same words it can be construed totally differently.. She and I did become friend and I agree - she is truly kind and caring (she and I have pm'd in the past and she is a totally fun person) and I totally agree very very smart.. She is one of those persons that you have to get to know - and once you do you get her.

Ya I was freaked about the band - but heck you just gotta go for it sometimes and not think about it too much... And as long as there is not language barrier - I would be cool about going - since they come and get you..

You will be ok.. I'm not a worrier per se - I research and once I make up my mind I go for it -

I do feel quite fortunate in getting to my sweet spot in 2 fills with 1 tweak (wouldn't call .01 a real fill - more mental than physical I thing)

Well, try and not to worry too much :rolleyes: You will be having alot of pple pulling and praying for you...

Ok I have been on this computer since I got home from work - my eyes are killing me - so I am off to the couch..

TTYL GF take care:tt1:

Hi everyone---It's been a while since I have posted. I wanted to tell ya'll about my Dr. visit this week. I had had a fill 2weeks before and I could feel the restriction quite well. Last weekend, I began pbing every time I ate anything. Even a sip of Water would cause me to pb. On Tuesday I was able to get into see the Dr. After talking to him, he said he thought I was eating too much at one time. He stepped out of the room and came back with a urine specimen cup. He held it up and said that I should eat no more than what I could fit into a cup the size of the specimen cup. That is not much. I have cut down the size and amount of food and I am not pbing and actually am feeling much better. I did not get an unfill and went home feeling encouraged. I am really paying attention to the amount of food I eat and have found that I can eat much less and be satisfied.

Joanne--Boy, that blueberries and cream is a pretty quilt. I love blueberries! Everyone's quilts are beautiful and I want to thank you for sharing another facet of your lives with us. I enjoy sewing. I don't seem to make the time to sit down and sew very often, now that the children are grown. My dh and sons built me a little one room house (no plumbing) in our back yard so I could do crafts and all. They put a porch on it for me to sit and rock in my rocking chair and relax. I really enjoy going in my little house to play---I never had a playhouse when I was a child---Guess that's why I it so much.

Katy--I have been thinking of you and will continue to keep you in my prayers for a safe and speedy recovery.

To all of you---I want to thank you for all the great info I have learned from you. I always look forward to checking this site and reading what you all have to say. O-Daisy---I wish you all the luck with your new procedure. I will also be praying for your safety.

Edited by mimi 22

Yes, you really can't go by how fast you're losing to figure out if you need a fill. You can tell if you have restriction..

It sure is a hard choice. I had some reflux, gas again last night, nothing bad, but a little afraid to have another fill and Im not losing. Im into my 3rd week with zero weight loss and Im walking every day, usually twice and doing some long distances. I feel like I have no restriction though at night when it comes to snacking. When Iv gotten there before I went in and had another fill and it helped.

I did have some of this gas problem before I had my lapband and dont feel like this probably is because of the lapband.

I think Im going to wait until after my next cruise in one month before I go in, last cruise scared me, too hard to eat dinner fast enough. I was always a slow eater. So, going in after the cruise. I hope I lose something in the next month. I never completely stalled out before like this, maybe Im not eating enough calories Iv even thought. Its sure not as easy decision to wait or not wait. I havent had a fill since last Nov.

I agree with you on Wasa - do you know that she and I had a little spat when I first joined lbt :rolleyes: :thumbup:

I think she has had a little spat with almost everyone who posts very much on these boards. She jumped on me about something and someone pm'd me and said she was well known for starting fights, to not pay attention to her. I hadnt said anything to her at that time. She seems to want to wage a one person war against the band. She probably is her own worst enenmy. Probably a lot of us come off different online than in person. I know my jokes dont come off, cant hear that Im joking online.

Mimi, interesting how you feel all you had to do was cut down to solve your problem with pb'ing. I dont think Iv ever pb'd, havent been that tight. I do get gas, like from Protein Shakes. Glad Im not throwing up or pb'ing that some have too.

Glad to see and hear from everyone.

I dont have a blog, but I just copied my link and pasted it into the big white empty place, not the place for links on your signature. I put it where it looks like a picture should go. You dont need to touch it once its there, just update it from tickerfactory site and put it into your profile. User cp I think its called.

Im thinking about what mimi said, and maybe I dont have reflux at all, not the way lapbanders use the term?? I do have acid indigetion at times, and its often referred to as reflux, but Im thinking it is just gas, and not what folks here call reflux and thats why everyone says I am already too tight. Some foods just give me gas, and I worry the band makes that worse. I dont have hardly any resistance from my band or the pb'ing and never threw up (thank goodness).

Yes Janet, I am really going through with the sleeve. I am worried about gaining weight because I can't get my band as tight as where I had it when I got to goal. I am sick of watching every single bite I put in my mouth and worrying what the scale is going to do. I am also sick of worrying that if I get a fill, I am going to start puking in my sleep again. That was very traumatic for me.

I hate my port which sticks out of me like an egg. I have so much scar tissue between my port and my band around the tubing, that I can hardly bend at the waist.

Yes, I am having it done by Dr. Aceves and yes, I am self paying. I think my health is more important than my children's inheritance.

Hi Oregondaisy,

I totally agree with you about the inheritance.

I also agree with the puking in your sleep, not nice at all.

I know how you feel about putting weight back on, that scares me too.

I also understand about the port sticking out.

With the soccer ball (hernia) protruding from my midriff and the port corner sticking out on the other side, I keep thinking I'd easily fit into the movie Alien where the belly opens up and this THING comes out. I've gotta weird sense of humour.

My Best Wishes Are With You.