Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Talents - wow those seem to have waned as I get older. I was always an active sewer when my girls were little, making all the fancy clothes for holidays.

Cross stitching, until carpal tunnel put a halt to that.

Now....gee not much..i make wreaths as gifts for friends. the kind you may put on your front door..

Katy - keep thinking of you and keeping you in my thoughts

Joann - You are one heck of an artist !!!! Those quilts are beatiful...

Peaches - You know I like your too :0)

Apples - Talents - I don't think I have any - I can copy other pples ideas well - don't have much patience and Haven't tried any hobbies lately - cuz when I do - I get all consumed with them - right now I would say lbt is my hobby... I don't have time for anything else - I would like to paint one day..

Kathy - Prayers...

Oregondaisy - are you really going with Sleeve - will you have to be self pay - are you going to the same doc as wasa. I know if I lost my band - I would consider it... I feel to darn good to go back to being obese.. I say I have done 75% of the work - but that 25% of restriction is still a big part of my success - I think I would try to maintain 1st then if I couldn't I would consider the surgery...

Hi Oregondaisy,

Thank you so much. The new surgeon said that if it is safe and the stomach is ok, then he will put a new band in (glutton for punishment I am) but he doesn't think that will be the case and has warned me that I will put weight back on. Just have to get through Monday first.

Best wishes.

Katy...will be thinking of you this weekend, Monday and until we hear from you again. Wishing the best for you!

Honestly I have no talent unless you count diagramming sentences. I can't draw, sew etc. People say I am easy to talk to and should have been a shrink, but I hated school.

Both traits should be considered talents, Oregon. (Now we have to watch how we diagram our sentences!). There aren't many people who are easy to talk to and REALLY listen. If you've been told that, consider it your talent!

Lynn...I did the big burn out on sewing also. As young as 12yrs of age I hired out to sew for the teachers in town. Then when I had children, I sewed all their clothes and DH's shirts. Made all the Christmas gifts for others in the family and continued to hire out to sew for others. About 25 years ago when I went back to work full time, I shut the machine up and never went back. Totally burned out on it and never picked it up again.

Not sure if you can call this a talent or not but I can do a NY Times crossword in about ten minutes flat...LA Times also. Every night I do each. Started this many, many years ago and continue to do so to keep my mind fresh. And, I'm coming back in my next life as an interior decorator!

BEST 50th birthday present ever! After my 2nd fill which was 2 weeks ago i found my "sweet spot"! Whhaahooo after so many trials (and there still are a few) I am losing weight consistently, eating healthy small portions, exercising more and having a much smaller appetite. I should be down 25 lbs. by my 50th Birthday on the 16 of this month!! I can't believe it ....my plan worked! I love my band and I am so happy I got this proceedure done! Being this age and a lower BMI I had my doubts. At 49 I know this was the only I could stop gaining and get to a healthy BMI....

PS Also went off BP meds yesterday!!! :unsure::tt1::laugh::tt1:

OMG Joann, those quilts are gorgeous. I particularlylike the Flagstone path one.

Peaches, don't sell yourself short those are gorgeous too. Way more than I could do. I have quilted some and only have done a logcabin pattern.

My talent? used to have a craft business and sold painted wood stuff. DH carves and we sold tons of hand carved fish and santas. He carved and I painted. Have also done some colored pencil but I have to copy something.

Busy with Grandma and mom and dad here, computer time limited, but trying to at least read.

Peaches, your quilts are beautiful - and so are YOU! Is that really your studio? I would never allow a picture in my studio - you can't believe how messy it is! My DH is a woodworker and built me a great work table. But the room is accessible from everywhere in the house and EVERYTHING ends up on that work table (mostly DH's stuff!). When I'm in the creative frenzy I just clear enough room to start cutting fabric and go for it. I try to clean it up often, but it's a never-ending battle. My desk is not much better and I can't blame DH for that.

Thanks so much for your comments. It's been hard for me to be working for the last year or so - just recently have been able to get some things done. I have several family quilts to catch up on and a lot of new ones in the planning stages.

LBTalk cuts into my quilting time!!! See - I am making good choices!

Long - I am glad you are checking in. I hope everything continues to go okay - I see the scale is cooperating, and that's a big plus.

Katy, I woke up this morning thinking about you. Your Monday will be our Sunday if I am not mistaken. If I am wrong it still will not hurt to be praying for you all day Sunday-which I will be doing. God be with you.

Yes Janet, I am really going through with the sleeve. I am worried about gaining weight because I can't get my band as tight as where I had it when I got to goal. I am sick of watching every single bite I put in my mouth and worrying what the scale is going to do. I am also sick of worrying that if I get a fill, I am going to start puking in my sleep again. That was very traumatic for me.

I hate my port which sticks out of me like an egg. I have so much scar tissue between my port and my band around the tubing, that I can hardly bend at the waist.

Yes, I am having it done by Dr. Aceves and yes, I am self paying. I think my health is more important than my children's inheritance.

Oregan: Yea girl, your health is way more important then your kids inheritance and I'm sure they feel the same way! When is your surgery? You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Katy: Well, I have prayed for you everyday this week and will be holding you before the Lord both on Sunday and Monday. Your surgery will be successful and you will do fine. Please post or have someone post for you as soon as possible as I know we will all be on pins and needles until we hear from you or a family member. God's Speed-Susan

Yes, Katy... we will all be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers this weekend.

And waiting to hear how the surgery went!

God Bless!!

17_1_10.gif 17_1_10.gif 17_1_10.gif

Hi all, I don't post here very often, but so enjoy reading what you all are talking about... Some are having such struggles and having been in places like that myself upon occassion in my life, I can surely sympathize.. My prayers go with you that everything will turn out very well..

I have love reading about these beautiful quilts and have made a few in my day, but only regular block ones just for use on a bed... I do love to crochet and was especially happy when I was making all the cute little things for my new granddaughter. I even made her baptismal gown.. It was gorgeous.. Never think to take pictures of the things I make... Haven't done it much lately.. I also am a singer and have done so many weddings and funerals that I have lost track of them all.. When I was young (20's) I used to take my 12 string guitar and entertain in the local bars on Saturday nights.. Love country, gospel, and oldies music....

Take care and thanks for all the good information and just letting me listen in while you all visit and share.. Julie

Okay... I took a few days to think about what my talents are.

At this point in my life... mostly computer skills, I guess. I enjoy digital photography but my strength is mostly quantitiy and not necessarily quality... except thatwhen you take a LOT of pictures, you get some good ones here and there! :rolleyes:

36_13_13.gif

I think I have pretty good organizational skills, but somehow that doesn't extend to having control over my clutter. I seem to be somewhat of a pack rat and I especially have trouble getting rid of paper stuff... books, magazines, interesting articles I'll probably never look at again, etc.

I think I'm a good listener, but don't know if that's a "talent" or not!

I have some musical talent, but don't use it much anymore. I play the piano but have let myself get rusty even though I have quite a sophisticated electric piano at home... Yamaha Clavinova with a lot of bells and whistles that I really need to learn to use a little better! I used to play piano for our church and led an orchestra and song leaders for a while. I sing in the choir here in our RV park. I'm not a soloist, though. I have a low voice, so I sing with the tenors, along with another gal. A couple of weeks ago, the choir director said, "guys, I want you to sing this solo part." She and I looked at each other and grinned wondering if that meant us, too or not! So we asked him if we were guys or girls for that part! He told us to sing. In high school I played the flute and did quite well on it. Since high school I've played at church, but now too much arthritis in my fingers.

5_2_110.gif 5_6_14.gif

So... most of my "talents" are "used to" talents! I used to sew all my kids' clothes, too! Matching outfits for all four!

I never made any quilts, but crocheted a LOT of afghans and hats, scarves, etc.

Edited by phyllser

Yes Janet, I am really going through with the sleeve. I am worried about gaining weight because I can't get my band as tight as where I had it when I got to goal. I am sick of watching every single bite I put in my mouth and worrying what the scale is going to do. I am also sick of worrying that if I get a fill, I am going to start puking in my sleep again. That was very traumatic for me.

I hate my port which sticks out of me like an egg. I have so much scar tissue between my port and my band around the tubing, that I can hardly bend at the waist.

Yes, I am having it done by Dr. Aceves and yes, I am self paying. I think my health is more important than my children's inheritance.

I think you are making a wise choice. Dr. Davis said I really needed the gastric sleeve because my BMI was so high, but insurance would not pay. It takes care of that hormone than causes hunger. You probably will lose a lot more weight. I wish you success on the sleeve. I would do it if I were in your situation.