Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi everyone! Welcome to the newbies! There is a wealth of knowledge here and so, ask away....

I WAS exercising 4-5 times a week, but when the play I directed was in its last month of rehearsal and then, I was attacked by allergies (blowing my nose and sneezing nonstop---veeeeeery pretty....) and the exercise was put on hold. I have not gained any, didn't lose any either. Staying around 151-153...want to get to 142.

I haven't had a fill since September. I was at my sweet spot--but now--3 months later--it has gotten tighter! Two bites of solid Protein (meat, chicken) and ugh! tight!

Daily PB. And--I am going on a cruise in 2 weeks!

Has anyone done well with a fill only to have it get tighter 3 months later?

(I also could make my bites smaller and eat slower....hmmmm...57 years of habits are hard to break)

Judy--enjoying the 70's degree weather

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a while- just been too discouraged. My fault, not the band's (although I would love to be able to blame something other than myself)...I don't know what it is, but it is like a fiend has been unleashed in the last month. I am eating everything in great quantities - even stuff I don't like! I eat until I'm uncomfortable, PB, and then do it again. What is wrong with my head - because that is obviously where the problem is!

I finally made it to a 'normal' BMI, and then I start this. And even though I KNOW it is wrong, it is like another part of my brain is just egging me on....

Sorry for the ramble, just feeling tired of fighting myself (and losing) and all out of sorts.

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a while- just been too discouraged. I am eating everything in great quantities - even stuff I don't like! I eat until I'm uncomfortable, PB, and then do it again. What is wrong with my head - because that is obviously where the problem is!

I don't know what it is either, but it's like self sabotage, like we don't really want to lose the weight. I call it being self destructive, hiding from people, pushing them away, putting on weight to make myself less attractive. I was in a abusive relationship and started it after that, you may have some reason like that in your past you can point at. Stopping it is another issue.

I lost only a little over a year ago down to 150 lbs and put it all back on. So to put it back on so fast, I know its head issues and self sabotage, because I promised myself never again. Even you say you are eating things you dont even like, its like a way to punish yourself.

I think you just have to keep trying and fight those head demons, I know I am fighting them.

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a while- just been too discouraged. My fault, not the band's (although I would love to be able to blame something other than myself)...I don't know what it is, but it is like a fiend has been unleashed in the last month. I am eating everything in great quantities - even stuff I don't like! I eat until I'm uncomfortable, PB, and then do it again. What is wrong with my head - because that is obviously where the problem is!

I finally made it to a 'normal' BMI, and then I start this. And even though I KNOW it is wrong, it is like another part of my brain is just egging me on....

Sorry for the ramble, just feeling tired of fighting myself (and losing) and all out of sorts.

not at a normal BMI and I am already into sabatogue!!! Eating things I know are wrong. I did restart using a food lournal and find myself doing better. Making oneself accountable on paper has been helpful. All I need is to get in time for exercise..

Seems I am fighting myself too. Like most times I lose weight and then feel like I can do anything and BAM, the weight goes back on. Of course not all that fast, but creeping. HELP, kick me in the A$$ to wake me up..

Can any one please tell me how I get the ticker factory to show on my messages. Have looked at all of yours and take an interest in your progress.

Patsy

OH I know exactly what's you are saying...I just had 3 warm Peanut Butter Cookies out of the oven that my DD is baking - here I'm so happy to be in onderland, and then I can't even walk away from a cookie! Now I'm 400 calories OVER my limit for today, once again. The whole time I'm like - you shouldn't be eating this, and so I didn't even enjoy it!! It's all in our complex psyches I guess.

Well, I'll go pack some boxes and burn off a few calories, and pray tomorrow will be better. This food addiction is tough to deal with!!!

Has anyone done well with a fill only to have it get tighter 3 months later?

I would go and see the dr. and possibly have some taken out. I hadn't had a fill for a year and started having trouble. I had to have an esophagram and it showed the barium just sitting in my esophagus for 15 min and not moving down into my stomach. It all sat above the band.

That is dangerous. I have no idea why, when I thought I was at my sweet spot, I had to have a defill. All I know is the dr. and the radiologist both told me I could have damaged my esophagus and that could have led to having the band removed.

Oh Brydie...I just read your post and it made my night. You are so kind. I hope I didn't get you in too much trouble. I don't even remember the panicky pre-op person who was asking all the PBing questions :=)! Sorry to hear about your almost PB at the lunch. A muffin some how seems like bread to me and a possible no no. I would skip the muffin next time ?...just not worth the hassle and go for the really good stuff!~

What a relief to finally have the procedure done and be on this side~! whew! I am so incredibly thrilled to be banded Byrdie...for the first time in my life I feel like a normal eating person. I'm not constantly hungry and thinking about what I can eat next!~ What freedom! I just had a sugar free popcicle and actually felt it fill up my stomach before I was completly finished!~!! I had those pops before surgery and would wolf down 3 and it would just tickle my hunger and get it started!!

Thank you so much B for your support! Have you heard from Joanne? I know her surgery date was yesterday. I have been thinking about her all day! I'm sure she is fine and taking it easy hopefully in the hospital. I had an out patient procedure and wished I had one day to recoup. I had a really tough 48 hours but today is day 4 and what a difference. I'm started to feel good ...and getting a taste of what great feels like.

see you soon,

Soo

Oh Liza...I don't think superwoman could resist pb Cookies ..especially when they were baking and you smelled the aroma! Don't be so hard on yourself....3 is ok. You walked away ...that dosen't sound like a food addicted person to me! good luck wiht packing and tell DH to bake them when your not home and stressed with packing!

I am glad to hear your're feeling better Sooverit!

You'll probably loose a bunch on the post op diet. That is when I lost the most. I am excited for you!

Denise--when you said that you started having trouble and that took you to the doc for a defill---

What were those troubles? I do not want any problems down the line, so if I can find out and avoid those problems......

Thanks-Judy

Wow Lisa you're amazing. I calculate 60+ pounds since April!? How do you do that? I can't wait until I post in onederland.

I have to tell you, the view from Onederland is great! I hope everybody here joins me soon!

I have to say, I did nothing special to get there - even with the band, it comes down to eating less and exercising more. My strategy is to log everything I eat - I use thedailyplate.com, but there are other free sites out there too. I follow the daily calorie limit advised to loose 2 pounds per week as much as possible. I am NOT perfect by any means, but when I see I'm close to the limit, or over (as I have been more often lately), I fight the urge to eat more, and try to get some exercise. It keeps me from fooling myself about how much I can eat. I needed help with portion control!

I was walking 2 to 2 1/2 miles a day till the Wisconsin winter set in. Now, I'm not doing much except packing to move in a few days. (However, I can sure go up and down those stairs with boxes now with minimal effort! :-) I hope to continue the daily exercise in our new routine once moved - hauling hay, Water, and cleaning stalls at our new hobby farm - a whole new experience for me!

But all of this would not have happened without the band. The band has kept me going. It has prevented that ability to overeat in huge quantities like I used to -- because I get too full. And then I walk away for awhile and forget about continuing to eat. Lilke a normal person!

With all previous diets I was on, I would dream about food and feel empty all the time. Within a couple months, I would ditch the diet and just eat whatever, whenever, and as much as I could stuff in. Which was never those huge amounts you hear people eating (I never ate a dozen eggs or a half-gallon of ice cream), but I'm sure it was about 4,000 calories a day. It took me 30 years to get up to 339 pounds! But I was always hungry it seemed. This has not happened with the band - I don't dream about food. I don't feel deprived.

Now, I can be full with 1400 cals a day. I still have my weaknesses - chocolate, and fresh baked Cookies - when available! I still have bad days and make poor food choices. Just not as often anymore. The key is to not make the highly calorie concentrated, low nutrition foods very available! I still struggle with wanting to eat more - to clean my plate like I was taught as a kid. And to keep eating after full. I'm at my sweet spot - finally - right now and I will get full and uncomfortable, even "slime" until something goes down if I don't chew well enough or eat too fast. Being bull-headed about eating, I need that negative reinforcement to shout at me - "stop eating, for heavensake!" :-)

I don't posses any stronger willpower than any one of you guys/gals out there. And that's the beauty of this band! Its working for me, and I hope it will for you too!

Actually, I just did the math...I've lost ~96 pounds since my April bandingl? Can that be right? I don't really track how much/fast I'm loosing. I just try to go down each day. To me it seems agonizingly slow. I guess I am doing OK-- It never seems like it on a daily basis, but the numbers in my sig are acurate, so it must be true!

That surprised even me.

Hello to all,

I had my original meeting with my surgeon on September 3, 2008. I weighed 265 at that point. When I had surgery on October 22, 2008 I weighed in at 258. Seven days after surgery I was down to 250#, on November 19th it was 248 and my most recent visit, December 4th, I was 242#. Here is my question. I thought that on Nov. 19th I would get a fill but they thought I should wait. When I went on the 4th, fully expecting to get a fill, he said, "You are doing well. Let's wait until next month to see how you are doing." Has anyone else had this happen? I thought fills were a big part of this surgery. I know I should be happy that I can still eat anything without getting "stuck" but I'm just hoping I don't hit a bit stall in weight loss. I have to have knee surgery on the 29th so I will not be taking any long walks for a while. Has anyone else have a doctor who put off on the fills and how was your weight loss? Thanks!