Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

HEY EVERYONE, I'VE been other places on this site but found you all. Was band Aug 5th this year down 60 pounds and about 45 inches all over my body.Best thing i've done for myself.I run and walk 1 1/2 miles a day,core training 5 days a week also curves everyday.So much energy not sure where it came from.Start trainig for 5k after Christmas...Lost three pounds on turkey day, food just wasn't my thing this year.. Best of luck to all of you.

Hey Apples, think those marinades would make me like venison? :):biggrin::) Don't think so!

Charlietuna, welcome. Congrats on your awesome progress!

Hey Apples, think those marinades would make me like venison? :):biggrin::) Don't think so!

Charlietuna, welcome. Congrats on your awesome progress!

You can always try them for your DH and sample a bit.

Hi Joann, Soo and Others,

I am sorry if I offended anybody but I was just trying to reassure Soo that most people do not have a lot of problems and by following the doctors instructions and staying in touch with them then the progress is usually smooth.

At the weekend I was at my daughters college graduation and fell into my old eating habits when afternoon tea was set before me. I ate a small muffin very quickly and was starting on a Portugese tart when I did experience chest pain. What to do? didn't know where the bathroom was and too many people to make a dash for it, so I picked up an empty disposable cup and made my way slowly outside, had some sips of Water and soon the problem was gone. This was a near thing and a STEEP LEARNING CURVE for me. I must in future be extra vigilant when out and food is everwhere so that I do not wolf food down like I used to. Soo was concerned that some people had said they PB everything they eat but these other episodes are to be learned about and are controllable in most cases. I still maintain that this journey is a great opportunity to be healthy and to be an active participant in that good health. I am sure Soo will do well and am sure that attitude has a big part in it.

I have now lost 22 lb (10 kilos) which is nearly %10 of my original weight. It makes you feel so gooood and I was nearly jumping out of my costume at aquarobics this morning. Why did I tolerate that old body for so long?

Best wishes to everyone, especially Soo.

Brydie :biggrin:

Byrdie,there will come a time if you get more fill that drinking even a sip of Water will not help and can in fact make it worse.

There have been many times when I could not get to a rest room fast enough and pbed into a cup, a plant, or whatever is closest and seems the least obvious.

Apples, thanks for the marinade recipes! They sound yummy. I wonder what the Sprite does? Do you know?

Is it the carbonation that tenderizes meat?

Gypsy thanks for that website. I looked at it and it looks very interesting!

I am not writing this to anyone in particular, but would like to comment on the difference between head hunger and regular hunger.

When I have regular hunger, my stomach growls and feels empty almost to the point where I feel nauseous.

When I have head hunger, my stomach is not growling, but my head is saying "oh this or that really sounds good"

or "gee what is there around here that I can eat"

Both types of hunger are hard to battle.

someone on another thread suggested a book you can get at Amazon. It's called emotional first+Aid kit.

I think I will look there and see if it gives more of a description of this book. All I know is I need help. I

don't want to go back to wearing bigger pants. I know they wouldn't be the biggest size I ever wore, but right now, all the pants I have are not comfortable, and I hate that.

I also need to go to the low carb section of this board, under food and nutrition. I know for a fact that when I eat low carb, I have less cravings. The problem is, I am sick of all the stuff I normally eat. I need new ideas.

Hi Denise - the book you are referring to is one I mentioned some time back. It is The Emotional First + Aid Kit - A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery. The author is Cynthia L. Alexander, PsyD. It is a good book and deals with the whole process from research and decision time - all the way through. It was recommended by my psychologist, and he recommended I buy it. He said if I have it at home I will refer back to it many times as questions come up. It does deal with head hunger, exercise motivation, dealing with friends and families, etc. The author has been treating bariatric patients for many years.

I am sorry to hear you are having these issues. I agree the high protein/low carb plan sounds like a good one. It is one I plan to use throughout my weight loss phase - and probably beyond. DH and I both feel better when we eat that way anyhow.

I also remember reading a few posts about the 5-day pouch test. I believe Phyl did something like that last summer to get a jump start when she had hit a slow period. You might pm her to see if she has any information about it.

I am with you on the tight pants - ugh. My closet holds so many sizes of jeans I won't have to buy any for a while! All purchased while on the way up... I may find them hideously out of style when I get there.

Cheryl, the orthopedic surgeon who replaced my left knee told me my treadmill exercise days were over. He recommended the elliptical and a stationary bike with no weight for me because of my severe arthritis. I think if you have no arthritic problems with your knees it does not matter, but if you begin to develop pain in those knee or hip joints get it checked. Impact exercise will only make it worse. Maintaining a good weight is the best thing you can do for your knees, hips, and ankles (and many other body parts!). Yay for maintaining a good weight!

Joan, The 5 day pouch test is very good. It's hard to go back to the liquid stage though. I have done very well today drinking lots and lots of Water. I think if I can just make it through 3 days of no carbs, I can get the cravings out of my system.

that's the problem with those carbs. They sneak back in, and then I crave them all the time. I need to get it into my brain that one bad choice leads to many many more.

Phyl---I am very interested in learning more about this 5 day pouch test. I can't seem to set myself straight and am eating what I should not. Please fill us in on the test .

Thanks--mimi

Byrdie,there will come a time if you get more fill that drinking even a sip of Water will not help and can in fact make it worse.

There have been many times when I could not get to a rest room fast enough and pbed into a cup, a plant, or whatever is closest and seems the least obvious.

Apples, thanks for the marinade recipes! They sound yummy. I wonder what the Sprite does? Do you know?

Is it the carbonation that tenderizes meat?

You know, Denise, I'm not really sure. I think you might have guessed right that it tenderizes. That is what I have always thought. I have friends that throw a can of real coke into their roast beef when they cook them.

Hi Joann, Soo and Others,

I am sorry if I offended anybody but I was just trying to reassure Soo that most people do not have a lot of problems and by following the doctors instructions and staying in touch with them then the progress is usually smooth.

At the weekend I was at my daughters college graduation and fell into my old eating habits when afternoon tea was set before me. I ate a small muffin very quickly and was starting on a Portugese tart when I did experience chest pain. What to do? didn't know where the bathroom was and too many people to make a dash for it, so I picked up an empty disposable cup and made my way slowly outside, had some sips of Water and soon the problem was gone. This was a near thing and a STEEP LEARNING CURVE for me. I must in future be extra vigilant when out and food is everwhere so that I do not wolf food down like I used to. Soo was concerned that some people had said they PB everything they eat but these other episodes are to be learned about and are controllable in most cases. I still maintain that this journey is a great opportunity to be healthy and to be an active participant in that good health. I am sure Soo will do well and am sure that attitude has a big part in it.

I have now lost 22 lb (10 kilos) which is nearly %10 of my original weight. It makes you feel so gooood and I was nearly jumping out of my costume at aquarobics this morning. Why did I tolerate that old body for so long?

Best wishes to everyone, especially Soo.

Brydie :biggrin:

Brydie, I didn't think you offended everyone. I freaked myself out reading too much negative pre surgery too. I needed to know the pros and cons but then I concentrated on the what if's. And i do believe as you state many of them can be controlled by following the rules and learning what works for you and what doesn't. There are going to be those uncontrollable complications, there are in everything but I now choose to read only the positive. I'm one that if I go to a site like Web MD and read up on an illness, I can convince myself I have it. I start imagining symptoms. So I need to be educated but not obsessed, balance I guess is what I am trying to say.

Yes, the unfill took care of the problems I was having. The problem I have now is that I do get full on smaller amounts of food, but not a very small amount like before the unfill. That means in about an hour, I am very hungry again . I see the dr. on Wed. and I am going to ask again if I can have at least .25 of saline. I wouldn't think that small amount would bring the problems back.

As far as what it feels like when food is stuck, I wouldn't say it feels like you need to burp. I would say it feels more like you swallowed a golf ball and you can feel it in your esophagus. With the stuck feeling, come great amounts of saliva. That is the body's way to try to produce enoungh liquid to make the stuck food go down. Unfortunately, this does not work, and in fact it makes things work. I usually start spitting it out (when I had the problem that is) rather than swallow it. If you swallow it, you have gobs of thick

mucas on top of the stuck food and nothing will move until it comes up.

Hi AThinner Denise,

My surgeon emptied my band just before he operated to repair my last hernia and is not going to refil it for another two months to allow my inards to heal. Problem is that I still have the reflux and constant loud large burping problems. It feels as if it stays in my esophagus and I have to make sure it all comes up so that I can lie down in peace and comfort.

That helps the reflux but the burping can continue all day and is so uncomfortable as well as embarrassing. Any suggestions?

Best wishes.

I was banded on October 8th. Lost 24 lbs and have 1.5 cc of fill. Thanksgiving I felt like I could eat anything. Did not eat what I used to but am feeling the guilt and depression again. I think I did gain about 5 lbs though. Do I need another fill or am I just having head hunger? How do you know? Also, I am looking for either a treadmill or eliptical machine......which one have you heard is best for our age? Cheryl

Im in a apt, so I dont have as much space as a house has. I got a deluxe gazelle, but think I would have been just as happy with the cheaper model. The Gazelle is the thing where you walk and your legs swing, harder work than it looks like on tv. You see him with his legs way out in the air, he makes it look so easy.

Another problem with a treadmill is you need help to transport all but the mini models (which run more money than a regular treadmill). Regular treadmills were on sale at Sears, except for the small space models. I got my Gazelle from ebay, sorted them by distance and found one about 15 miles or less from home in almost new condition with all the tapes. If you know someone with a truck and a couple of guys you can move a treadmill, my gazelle, my elderly Dad and I got it into my trunk and tied the trunk lid down, it did scratch a little, but it was easy to move comparitively. Moving and space is why I decided on the Gazelle. It is harder than it looks.

Tony Little - Detail

I dont think you should beat yourself up for eating a little extra on Thanksgiving, if you are up 5 lbs, it will come off fast, temporary gain. I do it on cruises and can get weight I gained fast off faster than usual. Just get back to eating right.

My last fill, the doctor thought was too tight, but I can eat anything again once I come home. It makes no sense. I do lose 2 - 3 lbs every time I have a fill, probably from a day of liquids and a day of mushies, when I dont eat much for 2 days, not the fill itself Im telling myself. I was 187.5 when I went in for my fill and swear one time I weighed this morning I saw under 185 lbs now. I struggled with the 190s and zipping thru the 180s. I was barely under 190 this time last week and then dropped several pounds before my fill. Im pleasantly surprised that I still lost weight from the fill after just dropping the few days before my fill. 5 lbs poof in a week. (and I was the one complaining here a while back about losing so slow). This is in spite of eating a full meal on Thanksgiving at my parents. So, eating a large meal once isnt enough to hurt you if its just one meal imo.