Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Denise..sounds like things are working for you with the reflux problem taken care of. My wish for you is to be able to get your fills without the problem coming back. I am sure you are somewhat paranoid about getting fills but gotta try it. I have been so lucky. I have had two fills, eat my regular portions and no hunger for up to 4 hours. Everyone is so different and hard to give advice on fills. I have been stuck twice and both times was on deli meat. That's off my menu! Please keep us informed as you get your fills and how you are doing.

JoAnne...THIS IS YOUR BIG WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!! As I have said b/4, you have a great attitude going into this and have done your homework going into this. You will do just fine. Just remember to be patient in those first six weeks b/4 your fills. I kept SF Jello on hand, popsicles, etc. to carry me through.

I could have never given up my coffee either. In fact, I am brewing a pot right now. I have a stainless steel (inside and out) pot that I put it in and it keeps it so fresh and drink throughout the day. Once in awhile put SF DiVinci Syrup in for a treat.

Happy to hear that Abbie is out at least a bit and running and playing. Hopefully she will get back on her food and become stronger. I know exactly where you are coming from...my puppa is EVERYTHING to me. He replaced my boys when they moved out 10 and 8 years ago. Love, love, love my dog. (My boys too!)

DeeDee...you were asking for samples of what others eat...

Typical day for me is:

B-Greek yogurt with Splenda and small amount of Fiber One

L-3.5 oz of protien. Salmon, chicken, steak (hamburger of any kind does not sit well) Veggies or fruit

D- Same as above

S-Always treat myself each evening to 100 cal pack of popcorn and throughout the day will have SF Jello or 100 cal 1/2 cup FF icecream. I do two Snacks a day.

My doc is very stern on no snacks. Just 1/2 cup three times daily. Went below my goal weight and had to throw the snacks in. Did not have any snacks while in the weight loss mode. Stuck to doc's rules during that time. I am just careful that everything that goes in my mouth on most has good nutritional value. I do treat myself on special occasions and have bday cake, a bar, etc. Can't totally cut everything out and feel deprived.

As far as exercise...I walk the treadmill about 4 miles 5xweek when it is cold outside. Otherwise, same amount of walking outside. I also run my two sets of stairs in my house for extra exercise for about 20 minutes a day. We live 15 miles away from anywhere so do not want to spend my time on the road to go to a gym. (I work out of the home).

You will do just fine. Take a listen to what others are doing and cut the foods out that you feel are holding you back some (if there are any). Bump up the physical activity up a bit if you feel you are not doing what you should. It really does not take a lot of exercise to make a difference. I am not telling you not to exercise. But, if it is not your thing, try getting at least a 30 minute walk in a day. And...never feel inadequate if you are losing a bit slower than someone else. Be proud of everything you have accomplished. K

Yes, the unfill took care of the problems I was having. The problem I have now is that I do get full on smaller amounts of food, but not a very small amount like before the unfill. That means in about an hour, I am very hungry again . I see the dr. on Wed. and I am going to ask again if I can have at least .25 of saline. I wouldn't think that small amount would bring the problems back.

As far as what it feels like when food is stuck, I wouldn't say it feels like you need to burp. I would say it feels more like you swallowed a golf ball and you can feel it in your esophagus. With the stuck feeling, come great amounts of saliva. That is the body's way to try to produce enoungh liquid to make the stuck food go down. Unfortunately, this does not work, and in fact it makes things work. I usually start spitting it out (when I had the problem that is) rather than swallow it. If you swallow it, you have gobs of thick

mucas on top of the stuck food and nothing will move until it comes up.[/quot

That is exactly the problem I am having. I am calling the doctor in the morning and get some saline taken out. First I get stressed(taking care of my mother across town) then when I eat a couple of bites I get pain in my chest and I feel like I need to burp. The only way I can burp is for the mucas and food to come up. It sometimes takes and hour for that to all come up. Also, I think my reflux is back. I started back on pepcid today, and so far, no pbing. Thanks for sharing.

Charlene...smart to go to doc and let him know what is going on. Hope an unfill helps!

are any of you celiacs? Being a celiac(gluten intolerant), I am wondering if I can do the lap band. I have my first meeting Tuesday night. I have become so tired with my size and my self esteem and my three sizes of clothes in the closet. I want to be excited about the meeting.

I just didn't know if there were other celiacs out there to give me hope.

thanks.

marketmillie

are any of you celiacs? Being a celiac(gluten intolerant), I am wondering if I can do the lap band. I have my first meeting Tuesday night. I have become so tired with my size and my self esteem and my three sizes of clothes in the closet. I want to be excited about the meeting.

I just didn't know if there were other celiacs out there to give me hope.

thanks.

marketmillie

Market...your best bet is to start a thread asking if there are any other celiac banders.

Typical day for me is:

L-3.5 oz of protien. Salmon, chicken, steak (hamburger of any kind does not sit well) Veggies or fruit

D- Same as above

S-Always treat myself each evening to 100 cal pack of popcorn and throughout the day will have SF Jello or 100 cal 1/2 cup FF icecream. I do two Snacks a day.

What is Greek yogurt? Is that a brand name? I haven't seen it in the Houston area. Where do you shop?

Typical day for me is:

D- Same as above

What is Greek yogurt? Is that a brand name? I haven't seen it in the Houston area. Where do you shop?

I get it at Walmart. Comes in container about 5oz. Oikos is the brand name that I use. I buy the fat free because that is all I can get. Has 15gr Protein. I love it. I am usually tight in the morning and I have my coffee about 6 and get the yogurt in about 9. I use it as a snack once in awhile also. It is thicker than reg yogurt and keeps me fuller longer.

May: I was wondering about this. My follow up care/fill center says it's mandatory to have a Fluoro after 6 weeks post op before the fill! I think it's another way to get another hefty fee. I am not cynical but I do think the health care system is a bit corrupt when it comes to $. I want to out right refuse...I don't think there's anything they can do except not fill me and I can go to my regular doc for that but of course I would lose the 3 free fills I have coming. You can never get complacent! .

Thanks, I will look for it. There is a Walmart every few miles around here. I haven't seen it ,but I usually eat Yoplait or WW.

I put the Fiber One or Kashi in it for fiber which really helps to keep me regular. It is so nice and thick and filling. I have tried other Greek yogurts when I could not find the Oikos brand. It is more than double the cals per serving and half of the Protein content. It is so nice when I am tight in the morning to get that protein in. If it wasn't for the Greek yogurt, I would be short on protein per day.

I also eat a lot of beef Jerky. My 1.5 oz serving has 23gr protein and 140 cals. Filling snack. Can't get over the fact that I can eat jerky but not hamburger in any form. Even turkey sausage does not go well.

I saw a couple of you talking about the feeling you get when you are stuck. I get this terrible pain at the center of my back, hurts soooo bad, then I will start slimming if it doesn't go on down. I never get the pain in my chest or fell like I need to burp. I guess some are different.

Congratulations! You did great not only with your weight loss, but you ate the right way on Thanksgiving. I on the other hand didn't listen to what I know is the right way to eat. I gained 3 pounds.

I am now on liqueds to hopefully get myself back on track.

I am my own worst enemy,but you have inspired me to sit myself down and start all over again---

GOOD JOB SOCIALDOT!

Edited by mimi 22

I saw a couple of you talking about the feeling you get when you are stuck. I get this terrible pain at the center of my back, hurts soooo bad, then I will start slimming if it doesn't go on down. I never get the pain in my chest or fell like I need to burp. I guess some are different.

Oh, my back hurts too. It is just plain misery. I had gallbladder attacks 18 years ago, and I would have to say getting stuck is a close second in pain.:thumbup:

i have been so bad this thanksgiving. i am so upset and mad at myself. :thumbup:

the scales this morning showed 2 lb gain, not telling what tomorrow morning will show. i have to get back on track, i made a bet with sis in law to see who can lose 10 lbs by christmas.

Hi Twirl,

Don't believe everything you read here. Most people do not feel hungry and I haven't in the 7 weeks that I have been on this journey. I had 2 weeks on VLCD (very low calorie drinks or shakes), it is more boring than hunger making. Since I have had the band I can honestly say that I have not felt hungry either - over full yes, and narrowly avoiding returning my food that I gulped down as I have been used to. The new little stomach that you receive does need to be 'run in' and learned to live with but then most people get on well and love the new body and energy that comes with weight loss to say nothing of the improved health and longer life expectancy. So get good advice and come join our happy band of "mature aged bandits" that may be an Australian term. All the best.

Brydie :thumbup: