Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi Everyone---I have been reading everyone's postings in this thread and you all sound like such nice people. I was banded on August 27th, 2008. I am so happy that I made the decision to have the LB. I have lost almost 40 pounds and feel so much better. I am 54yrs old (until January 14) and have 8 children. Ours is a blended family (3 his and 3 mine and 2 together). Thankfully, my DH adopted my girls and we have been able to raise them all under 1 roof. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary last June. Six of our children are grown and raising their own families. Our 2 youngest are 19 and 21 yrs. Our 19 yr. old daughter is getting ready to go back to college in January. Our 21 yr. old son is trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life. He has not gone to college, and that is ok with us, but he needs to find a steady job. He is not living with us. My father is in a nursing home at this time. He is diabetic and has kidney failure. He can't walk because of poor circulation and the kidney problems. He refuses to take dialysis,so the DR said he would die without it. We do hope to bring home in a few weeks. We will get home health care and Hospice for him. This will help my MOM. We visit DAD every day and treasure each moment we have with him.

We also are the proud parents of one Lab, 1 Am. Bulldog, 1 spoiled Dachshund, 1 part chihuahua, and 1 full blooded chihuahua. Bear in mind that all the dogs originally were our children's. We also have a deaf white Cat. I love our animals a lot, but sometimes it does get a little overwhelming:ohmy:.

I am not too computer saavy, so you may not ever see the cute tickers that everyone else has along with their messages.:blush: I'll catch on one day.

I live in a small town in Texas. My husband and I retired from our jobs this year. He is a special ed. teacher and I worked for 25 yrs. as a banker. We love to take our 5th wheel and go camping. We have joined a group of Christian

campers and try to go camping once every mo.

Well, I know that I have rattled on way too long. I just wanted you to know about my life and I really look forward to hearing from y'all. Thank You---- :cursing:

Hi Mimi and Welcome,

You and your family sound like lovely people. This site is a very friendly one and there are lots of answers available for every problem.

Best wishes. :thumbup:

Restriction is a tricky thing. I think it is a very fine line between having enough, and having too much. I really don't know how to explain it to some of you newer people, but the band can be very fickle. Sometimes people feel like they can't eat anything, and some days, can eat anything they want. It took me many fills and a couple of unfills to get to what I thought was my sweet spot.

I hadn't had a fill in nearly a year and thought everything was perfect, until I started this throwing up in my sleep.

When I had the esophagram, the barium just sat in my esophagus, for over 15 minutes. It really made me wonder how long food was sitting in there, and why nothing ever felt stuck.

Hi AThinner Denise,

I obviously missed your earlier posts when I was in hospital, regarding your esophagus problems. This rings bells for me about before I went into hospital with the hernia problem. Would you mind filling me in re - your symptoms etc and what led to the esophagram please? My band is still empty since the operation but I see the surgeon tomorrow. Hopefully he will take the drain out. Don't know if he will also do a fill but I'd like a lot of questions answered not just swept under the table.

Best wishes.:blush:

Has anyone in this age group not used a scale to measure weight loss? I am not planning to purchase a scale because in the past, a lack of weight loss in numbers has devastated my progress.

I seem to have two strikes against me for weight loss; lower BMI and age; 50. Has anyone used tape measurements and clothes size changes to judge their progress? Just wondering if the people in my situation that aren't "losing" are getting smaller despite what the numbers say? I just don't trust scales any longer as I have dropped 2 dress sizes and only lost 4 lbs. on the scale! I hope this is the case for me after surgery.

m

Has anyone in this age group not used a scale to measure weight loss? I am not planning to purchase a scale because in the past, a lack of weight loss in numbers has devastated my progress.

I seem to have two strikes against me for weight loss; lower BMI and age; 50. Has anyone used tape measurements and clothes size changes to judge their progress? Just wondering if the people in my situation that aren't "losing" are getting smaller despite what the numbers say? I just don't trust scales any longer as I have dropped 2 dress sizes and only lost 4 lbs. on the scale! I hope this is the case for me after surgery.

m

I was measured right before surgery and then at 3 months post op. What a difference. Now I weigh once a week, maybe and judge more on how my sclothes are fitting. Everything is smaller, even my feer and of course my rings fall off too.

The scale can be anyone's enemy. Numbers are not the only way to measure loss...I find the best satisfaction in seeing my clothes get looser..:)

Many thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts about Abbie. She is doing so much better today - finally ate some turkey and rice last night - decided it was pretty good stuff - drank some Water and finally got the plumbing working. She is having some issues with getting out of the house quick enough, but I'm sure her muscle control is a little out of whack. She herded squirrels with Jack this afternoon, so getting back to her normal routine. We are very grateful for her company as long as we can have her.

Sounds like everyone else is doing well this weekend. Welcome Mimi - your life sounds very busy! I understand about the dog situation. We frequently have granddogs visiting - some have stayed a year or more. We are down to just our two dogs now, but we still have our daughter's 12 year old cat. DD and her family are posted with the Army in South Korea and we are all concerned he would have a hard time with the 24+ hour trip in a cage. I know he would complain about the service on the aircraft - he gets pretty much whatever he wants from us.

10 days and a wake up... I am being a very good girl. Protein Shakes and a reasonable dinner today. I guess I just can't wait!!

So happy to hear that Abbie is eating and drinking, what a releif!!!

I am a friend of Janet & Phyl's (from another thread) and I lurk on this thread often too.

So many new faces though, I had to do a lot of reading to catch up.

Hi gang...have not posted much the last couple of weeks. Something needs to give with my volunteer jobs. I am busy full time four days a week plus still have all my farm and business bookwork to catch up on. I am ready for a break. It's so difficult to give up any of it because I love it. I am going to give up the scheduling part of it though. I schedule all of the volunteers at the hospital and it is a thankless job. I get waaaaaaaaay too many calls at home from little old ladies that panic because they are not in the same spot they were last month. Can only put so many in the 10am-12pm slot when there are only 5 days a week!. I figure when I wake up during the night worrying about it and I have calls at 6:30am over this scheduling....it's time to give it back to a PAID person at the hospital to do it. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!

Having a good week. Been doing some baking (special little Cookies, candies) to take to our friends for Thanksgiving. Going to dear friends, staying over and shopping the next day. Have NEVER ventured out on the biggest shopping day of the year. Will give it a try. My friend does not cook or bake so I will be doing some cooking also. And....I literally need to take all the serving dishes I have cuz she does not own any. She never entertains. I talked her into at least looking for some the day we shop.

It's still difficult for me to get in all the calories I need for the day. I am trying really hard and most days get what my body needs. I know I am not too tight but pretty difficult to get quality calories in a half a cup. I'm doing OK but it seems like more work than figuring out what to eat when I was losing. It will all work itself out with time. I just really want to maintain and realize this will be a lifetime job.

Hope everyone is doing well. Thinking of you JoAnne and Sooverit and your upcoming surgeries. Anyone else??????? Hope I didn't leave anyone out. Have not taken the time to catch up on my threads. First time ever. Well, better get ready for the guys coming in for dinner. I think I only have six today. Menu is: Taco/rice hotdish made with Italian sausage, homemade faccocia bread, banana pineapple bundt cake. OOOPS...hope I didn't make anyone hungry...actually it was kind of a tease!!!!!! Nasty me!!!!!

:thumbup::cake::w00t::cake::tt2::cake::tt1::cake:

;):cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake:

:)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PHYL

:P

:cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake:

Janet...thanks for the reminder of Phyll's bday...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAL PHYLL

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peaches, thank you for your kind thoughts of Abbie. She is a gentle little soul - in all her 10 years I have known her to growl only once, and that was at Jack when he was a new puppy in our house and she was trying to teach him to be a squirrel dog. It took her weeks to get him to focus and she became a little frustrated with him. She finally did get him trained and they are a tough squirrel herding team now.

We received some tough news yesterday, though. Our vet (a very caring man) called with the results of Abbie's tissue biopsy. She does have cancer and it has spread. She is recovering from surgery very slowly - not eating or drinking. She follows me and lays down and sleeps wherever I am. We are having some difficult days but we will just love her for as long as she has.

Peace to all,

post-231390-13813137898958_thumb.jpg

Edited by JoannMarie

INDIO,

HELLO AND THANK YOU FOR ALL THE ADVICE, i WILL DO THIS FOR MY HEALTH AND I WILL LOSE THE 160 LBS I NEED TO LOSE MY HEART IS ALSO GOOD BUT THE HEART DOCTOR TOLD ME I NEED TO MAKE A WHOLE LIFESTYLE CHANGE. So I am going to do this, I'm sorry about your brother !!

I really am looking forward to doing this to be able to play with my graddaughter and not be out of breath and walk with her is reward to me in itself..I will prove my h wrong i can and i will ose all this weight, I believe he wants me to lose but, he is also afraid that someone else will look at me as he has told me when i lose this weight I might leave, I have been hiding under all this weight far to long, it is time for the me inside to come out..he has to get over it.. because I WILL complete my plans for my health my health first.. I have my mother inlaw living with us and I have to take care of her as she is in a wheelchair, and this weight makes it difficult at times and h eventually will be more than likely getting a heart transplant, some where down the road, he just got checked for this at he heart hospital here and theysay he is holding his own right now, that the doctor will let us know when we have to go back, so I can't take care of anybody else the right way till I take care of my self first and this is my first big step...

Thank you so much for all your response this is helping me a great deal.. because he is not going to give it to me at this time, maybe when he sees me doing it and see me working hard he will change his mind..

How long did it take you to lose all the weight that you have that is fantastic !!!!!

May- Thanks about my bro - I stated it just cuz I wanted pple to know that obesity does kill.. Yep with the weight off you will have a more energy - the quality of your life will improve so very much... Ok you type like me - you leave little words out - so am a bit confused - is your DH overweight too and he needs a heart transplante?? That in itself is scary. Yes - this is about you. as I said on my other thread last night

That's the key - it is about us sometimes - that's always been all of our problems - it's always about someone else and not us - that's why we fed our faces 24/7 - cuz that was just for us...

Hello Wake Up People it is ok to be selfish - it's ok for it to be about us... We are important too... That's why we got banded - for once it was about us and doing something for us...

Ok enought of my rants... But I want everyone to take care of themselves and not with food - Take care of you with making time to go exercise & fix a good healthy meals - To rest and put your feet up - go watch a movie - go buy that new blouse, purse, pants whatever - get a facial - massage. Say no to that candy cuz that's not about you - that's really feeding your frustrations with others...

My original goal was 170 (my starting weight was 250 my highest ever and I'm 5'4) - as that's the lowest I ever got on WW and looking back at those pic's thought I looked good.

Well when I got to like 190 - I moved my goal to 160 (still overweight BMI) - Then wanted to move it to 150 but was scared to - even at that weight my BMI was still overweight - 145 gives me a normal BMI and that's what I wanted NORMAL.... .

Even though I was continuiousely losing weight by eating healthy & exercising - I was so afarid it would stop.. I got to goal on 5/8 90 lbs lost in 10 months 160 - then 1 week after by band anniversay 7/17 - I got to 100 lbs gone - weighed 150 - now I am between 138-140 and I am very happy at this weight and size 4 pants and medium tops - Started out 18/20 pants - 22/24 tops..

Hi everyone: I agree three cheers for exercise!! Outdoor exercise such as power walking in nature ...on trails...is a mental exercise for me that keeps me happy and sane. When I walk ...easier on a wooded trail...I only focus on the sounds and beautiful surroundings and my legs and none of my thoughts. 45 minutes later I feel like I can keep going but usually have to get to get to some task. Unfortunately I sprained my food this summer and can't go to far...there is treatment though.

1 week to go ...I am excited about feeling alive again...

Sooverit - Yes exercise is wonderful - I never thought I would ever say that :0)

m

You will find that this is diff than any other program you have been on.. If you don't want to get on the scale - then don't - use the measurement system.. It's what work for you

So happy to hear that Abbie is eating and drinking, what a releif!!!

I am a friend of Janet & Phyl's (from another thread) and I lurk on this thread often too.

So many new faces though, I had to do a lot of reading to catch up.

Peaches - who's Peaches - oh Ya My DEAR Canadian Friend :)

Hi gang...have not posted much the last couple of weeks. Something needs to give with my volunteer jobs. I am busy full time four days a week plus still have all my farm and business bookwork to catch up on. I am ready for a break. It's so difficult to give up any of it because I love it. I am going to give up the scheduling part of it though. I schedule all of the volunteers at the hospital and it is a thankless job. I get waaaaaaaaay too many calls at home from little old ladies that panic because they are not in the same spot they were last month. Can only put so many in the 10am-12pm slot when there are only 5 days a week!. I figure when I wake up during the night worrying about it and I have calls at 6:30am over this scheduling....it's time to give it back to a PAID person at the hospital to do it. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!

Having a good week. Been doing some baking (special little Cookies, candies) to take to our friends for Thanksgiving. Going to dear friends, staying over and shopping the next day. Have NEVER ventured out on the biggest shopping day of the year. Will give it a try. My friend does not cook or bake so I will be doing some cooking also. And....I literally need to take all the serving dishes I have cuz she does not own any. She never entertains. I talked her into at least looking for some the day we shop.

It's still difficult for me to get in all the calories I need for the day. I am trying really hard and most days get what my body needs. I know I am not too tight but pretty difficult to get quality calories in a half a cup. I'm doing OK but it seems like more work than figuring out what to eat when I was losing. It will all work itself out with time. I just really want to maintain and realize this will be a lifetime job.

Hope everyone is doing well. Thinking of you JoAnne and Sooverit and your upcoming surgeries. Anyone else??????? Hope I didn't leave anyone out. Have not taken the time to catch up on my threads. First time ever. Well, better get ready for the guys coming in for dinner. I think I only have six today. Menu is: Taco/rice hotdish made with Italian sausage, homemade faccocia bread, banana pineapple bundt cake. OOOPS...hope I didn't make anyone hungry...actually it was kind of a tease!!!!!! Nasty me!!!!!

Ok I am about to loose my internet connection - we are having problems here at work - so I gotta close - will respond when we are back up :0

:w00t::cake::tt2::cake::tt1::cake:

;):cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake:

:P

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PHYL

:thumbup:

:cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake:

Morning, Nope, no chocolate today!!! :) Unless you count my Protien shake for Breaky!!!!:tt2:

And I got in my excersise today!! DH is away and the snow all fell off the roof, so I had to get up first thing this a.m. and blow it out of the driveway before it freezes in boulders that I can't move...

The temp has warmed up a bit to above zero now its just messy...

JoAnne...so sad about the news of Abbie's test results. Just cuddle her up and be the mom you always have to her. I am sure she knows she is loved. Our baby is a 100# black lab that sits on my DH's lap in the recliner every night. They snore in unison. He is EVERYTHING to us. We got him when we became empty nesters and he filled a huge gap. I hope Abbie is comfortable and has many happy days in her future. "Hugs"

May- Thanks about my bro - I stated it just cuz I wanted pple to know that obesity does kill.. Yep with the weight off you will have a more energy - the quality of your life will improve so very much... Ok you type like me - you leave little words out - so am a bit confused - is your DH overweight too and he needs a heart transplante?? That in itself is scary. Yes - this is about you. as I said on my other thread last night

That's the key - it is about us sometimes - that's always been all of our problems - it's always about someone else and not us - that's why we fed our faces 24/7 - cuz that was just for us...

Hello Wake Up People it is ok to be selfish - it's ok for it to be about us... We are important too... That's why we got banded - for once it was about us and doing something for us...

Ok enought of my rants... But I want everyone to take care of themselves and not with food - Take care of you with making time to go exercise & fix a good healthy meals - To rest and put your feet up - go watch a movie - go buy that new blouse, purse, pants whatever - get a facial - massage. Say no to that candy cuz that's not about you - that's really feeding your frustrations with others...

My original goal was 170 (my starting weight was 250 my highest ever and I'm 5'4) - as that's the lowest I ever got on WW and looking back at those pic's thought I looked good.

Well when I got to like 190 - I moved my goal to 160 (still overweight BMI) - Then wanted to move it to 150 but was scared to - even at that weight my BMI was still overweight - 145 gives me a normal BMI and that's what I wanted NORMAL.... .

Even though I was continuiousely losing weight by eating healthy & exercising - I was so afarid it would stop.. I got to goal on 5/8 90 lbs lost in 10 months 160 - then 1 week after by band anniversay 7/17 - I got to 100 lbs gone - weighed 150 - now I am between 138-140 and I am very happy at this weight and size 4 pants and medium tops - Started out 18/20 pants - 22/24 tops..

Sooverit - Yes exercise is wonderful - I never thought I would ever say that :0)

You will find that this is diff than any other program you have been on.. If you don't want to get on the scale - then don't - use the measurement system.. It's what work for you

Peaches - who's Peaches - oh Ya My DEAR Canadian Friend :)

Ok I am about to loose my internet connection - we are having problems here at work - so I gotta close - will respond when we are back up :0

OH OH:unsure: Am I going to get a lecture from Janet for posting the noon menu????????????? I'm scared. Don't make me wait Janet...

thats great, hope i can do that, i am in plant city

dr. aguila will be doing the surgery if i get approved..

did the liquid diet taste ok he said i would be on Optifast.< /p>

i am scared, excited cant name it all and my husband says i ma taking the easy way out, but i dont believe it willbe easy. i just have to show him i can do it..

hope to talk to you again :w00t:

May - I knew your doc's name was familair - Now I know why - Tina !!!!! She's the paitient cordinator there right??

I know her :thumbup:- I met her in Vegas in June (we were invited to sit on a allergan lapband council together)- We hung out :)- Her, Me and a girl from boston Jennifer.

Great gal Tina :P- she is going to make you tow the line and follow the rules to a T - she and I think a lot a like (along with Jen) that's how come we all hung out together...

Tell her I said Hi !!!!! Tell here you met Janet on LBT....

Peaches, thank you for your kind thoughts of Abbie. She is a gentle little soul - in all her 10 years I have known her to growl only once, and that was at Jack when he was a new puppy in our house and she was trying to teach him to be a squirrel dog. It took her weeks to get him to focus and she became a little frustrated with him. She finally did get him trained and they are a tough squirrel herding team now.

We received some tough news yesterday, though. Our vet (a very caring man) called with the results of Abbie's tissue biopsy. She does have cancer and it has spread. She is recovering from surgery very slowly - not eating or drinking. She follows me and lays down and sleeps wherever I am. We are having some difficult days but we will just love her for as long as she has.

Peace to all,

Oh JoannMarie - I am so very very sorry to hear this news..

Hugs & Prayers - Know my thoughts are with your - our animals are our babies... I wish I could give you a real hug - but a cyber one will have to do.. xoxo Janet