Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

hey charlenek

it's not the bariatric dr. that's pushing me for the RNY, it's my regular dr. my regular dr. is Dr. Davis, weird. (i'm from Missouri)

i haven't been to the bariatric dr. yet. saw him at the seminar, but his office said i should get a call any day.

my BMI is reallllly bad. i'm glad i can count on you guys for support!

Dixie, back on the main page of LBTalk there is a section for Support Groups by the month, go to 2008 and find the October thread. You should find other October bandsters in there and can join in with one of the threads. I just received my December 4th date and today I started the first thread for December Bandsters. So far no one has replied - guess it's just a little out there yet... 9 weeks from tonight I'll be laying back in my recliner wondering why the heck did I do that???

Orea, it was good to hear from you. I hope you are doing well. You are not posting as much as you were before your surgery and I've been wondering about you.

How did DH's interview go? I hope he finds something he will enjoy doing. It's so frustrating to go to a job you do not enjoy. Good thoughts go your way, and his.

Well, one reason I got really quiet was that my computer died. It took several weeks to get the new one, then came a couple of weeks of fun getting my stuff (I call it my brains!) moved in. DH really only got it done on Sunday. (That was probably my best birthday present!) I lost count of how many reinstalls he did before he got it figured out.

So I took it as nature's way of telling me I should step away from the computer for a while and balance my life a bit more. I've been reading here almost daily on DH's computer, and staying on top of my email, but not talking much.

And I decided to make most of my Christmas cards this year, so I am working on that a bit every day so it remains fun and doesn't become a chore.

Then, next weekend is my annual weekend in the Poconos with the girls. We all met online maybe six years ago, at a diet website (Diet Divas) and became fast friends. Four years ago we did our first annual October get together in Luray, Virginia and had a wonderful time. There was absolutely no oddness or discomfort in meeting face to face for the first time, we just picked up our conversational ball and ran with it! For the last three years, the Poconos has been more centrally located, so we've been renting a house there. It's one of the highlights of my year now! We have had ladies flying in from as far as Denver and San Antonio, and driving from Canada and Long Island and Connecticut. And we come from Virginia.

So there are preparations to be made for that.

I haven't touched my arts & crafts hobby for quite some time as I was so absorbed in the whole lap band qualification and learning thing. Only a few weeks ago did my desire to play and create. return. It feels like a healthy sign to me, a healing of sorts. And a return to "normalcy." That is where the Christmas cards fit in. :tongue:

DH's interview and testing went okay as for as he can tell. He likes the place and the people. It looks like we can stay with Aetna but of course we have to check that there is no exclusion so they'll cover my lap band followup appointments. So my fingers are crossed for him.

hey charlenek

it's not the bariatric dr. that's pushing me for the RNY, it's my regular dr. my regular dr. is Dr. Davis, weird. (i'm from Missouri)

i haven't been to the bariatric dr. yet. saw him at the seminar, but his office said i should get a call any day.

my BMI is reallllly bad. i'm glad i can count on you guys for support!

Well, I had my orthopedic doctor and endocrinologist tell me to get bypass.....so I went back to Dr. Davis about the bypass.....by then he had operated on a lady with abdominal surgeries and he said she was a mess. So then he did agree with me before surgery. He still had to cut throught adhesions to get to my stomach. I was grateful he did the lap band. Stick to your gut feeling about this.

Dr. Davis has a show called "Big Medicine". It has been on TLC channel. I think he has filmed new shows for January.....at least I hope so. I love to see success stories.

Nys, I was supposed to go on a course of progesterone shortly before surgery and I was not to, as there is a relationship between that and blood clots. There may be an answer for you, so talk it over with your doctors.

Good luck! This is so worth doing.

My first fill is settling in nicely, 18 hours later. I'm already anxious for something in the way of solid food.< /p>

Ah Orea, I didn't think about that - but curious that no one seemed to worry about blood clots with all my other surgeries...I'll be in the office again next week so I'll have to see if there are any alternatives. Thanks!:tongue:

Go for the band! I had surgery 5-12-08, have lost 63 pounds. Went today for what I thought was going to be my fourth fill. The PA said I was doing so awesome that he didn't think I needed one. I had lost almost 14 pounds in 6 weeks since my last fill.

Yes, the band is slower, but slower can be healthier too. But the pouch in bypass patients can stretch out. I had a friend that happened to and she has gained all her weight back.

Recovery is so much quicker for the band and you don't have the dreaded dumping syndrome. I know I couldn't handle dealing with that!

I am very happy that I had the band. My only regret is not making up my mind to do it earlier! :tongue:

Hi lapbandana: You make me envious! I had my surgery 5-21-08 and as of 1 Oct I had lost 40 pounds. I thought I was doing great. But now a little disappointed. Have you lost all the weight since your surgery, or some while waiting? I had my 3d fill on the 1st of Oct and I can really feel the restriction this time. In fact, I am having a hard time with PBing. I really believe it is my chewing and maybe not taking small enough bites that is causing the problem. There are many things I can eat with no problem, but having a hard time with chicken and anything that has alot of Fiber to it. I still have alot of learning to do. lol. Anyway, congrats on your big loss.

Linda

Orea, I am so happy to hear you are doing well. Sorry about the computer dying - I have learned to actually enjoy my computer since retiring; it is really tough when I am away... It's so good to hear you are working with your crafts again. I agree with you - preparing for banding is very time consuming. I've spent a lot of time working with and coordinating the docs, reading the books, and getting as much information as I can to make the decision and then making it happen. I am a devoted quilter, both art and traditional, and those projects have stepped to the side while I've been pushing this along. I have been back with it the last 3 weeks or so. My art quilt group has made a quilt for show entries next year and my part is doing the machine quilting. I've been working on that for several weeks and should finish it up in the next couple of days. I've really enjoyed it and it has started the juices flowing again -looking forward to the next project.

I love what you and your on-line group are doing with the yearly retreat. It sounds like a lot of fun. With all your experience along those lines, maybe we should start thinking about something like that for the LBT group(s). A lot of us are posting on the same threads, obviously have something in common and would have fun together.

Have a great weekend!

what am I doing wrong with the weight loss ticker, I can't get it download to my profile area. Does it go in the signature area? Help Help Help!!!

I had to copy and paste my ticker into the big white spot, not where it says paste a link here below the big square white space.

Hi, Im not new, but havent yet posted on this thread. I just got back recently from a disaster cruise (was on the Conquest when Ike hit) and I think the stress kept me from gaining weight, lots of walking the stress off in the middle of the night. Allstate still hasnt dealt with my car.

Im banging on the door of 200, the big number, but havent made it thru the number yet. Had my second fill last Saturday. Finally a tad of restriction.

Annual get togethers would be a great thing.

Maybe there is a way we can coordinate some regional get toethers.

Enjoy the Poconos. I haven't been there for a few years, but enjoy the area and it is so closr to me. This time of year will be so colorful with the leaves changing their colors.

went to my regular dr. today. he is still trying to persuade me to get the RNY surgery. he doesn't think i will lose much with the band. i told him that i read a lot of posts on this forum and the majority of them are losing weight real well. he can talk all he wants to, i am going to have the band. i just don't feel good about the RNY- too much cutting and more side effects. :lol:

While its true you can lose more weight faster with by-pass, all the people I know who had by pass have regained the lost weight. Once you start to over eat and stretch out the new pouch, you regain the weight and there isnt a thing that can be done. I know two sets of two sisters, one set regained more than they lost eventually, the other I dont want to be rude and ask them where they started, but they are very overweight now so obviously by pass wasnt a good thing for them.

Lapband you dont lose as fast, but at least if you arent losing you can go in for a tighter fill.

Orea, I am so happy to hear you are doing well. Sorry about the computer dying - I have learned to actually enjoy my computer since retiring; it is really tough when I am away... It's so good to hear you are working with your crafts again. I agree with you - preparing for banding is very time consuming. I've spent a lot of time working with and coordinating the docs, reading the books, and getting as much information as I can to make the decision and then making it happen. I am a devoted quilter, both art and traditional, and those projects have stepped to the side while I've been pushing this along. I have been back with it the last 3 weeks or so. My art quilt group has made a quilt for show entries next year and my part is doing the machine quilting. I've been working on that for several weeks and should finish it up in the next couple of days. I've really enjoyed it and it has started the juices flowing again -looking forward to the next project.

I love what you and your on-line group are doing with the yearly retreat. It sounds like a lot of fun. With all your experience along those lines, maybe we should start thinking about something like that for the LBT group(s). A lot of us are posting on the same threads, obviously have something in common and would have fun together.

Have a great weekend!

Oh Joann.....your a quilter? I knew it! I am a beginning quilter, but I love everything about quilting. Are you a long arm quilter? Are you going to the International Quilt Show in Houston? I could meet you. The quilt show was another reason for losing weight and walking. I want to go this year and really enjoy it. Hey, you need to start a LBT thread for quilting banders.:lol:

i finally got my appt. with the dr. my appt. is Oct 8, next wednesday.yaaaaaaa

:lol:

they said that when i go for my appt. they will give me a date to get all my testing done. they do it all in one day. i'm glad. i have to drive over 3 hrs. to get to my dr. it's only about 15 min. from where one of my sisters live.

she's driving. hate all that traffice in St. Louis. i'll probably keep my eyes closed. ha ha she made me promise to keep quiet while she drives. i do feel sorry for anyone who is in the car with me when we're traveling. i get realllly nervous in traffic. :w00t:

I hit the big magical number of 70 today!!! YAHOO!!! Whodda thunk it?? Surely not me when I got my band 4 mos ago. I did lose 10 of that preband. I've been losing rapidly the past week or so, so that means I better get ready to settle in and maintain for a few weeks. That's how my body seems to operate. hang on, hang on, and then WHOOSH! I really want to hit 75 by the end of the month. I'm very anxious for my parents to see me next week. They are coming next week and have no clue about my surgery or weight loss, unless my sisters broke their vow of secrecy to them, which I know they haven't or mom would've said something.

Orea, glad to see you back!

I've quilted in the past, just not much recently.

Get together? I'd love it! Is there some place central to all of us?