Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Acid Reflux

I've had reflux for the last few weeks. It was so bad that I could not sleep. I attempted to sleep sitting up but that didn't help. I went to my regular doc and he did blood work and an Upper GI. The Upper GI showed that it was probably related to the band. I didn't think it was related to the band because I had been eating and food was going down.

I went to the band doc on Friday. He was not there but the nurse did an un-fill of 2.5 cc's and it helped tremendously. I've slept through the night lying down and no issues at all with reflux.

However, I am now getting pains in my middle back. It seems to happen twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. It is pretty painful but it goes away. I am going to see the band doc tomorrow for x-ray under flouro.

I highly recommend an un-fill to anyone with reflux.

I was a little scared because I now only have 2.25 cc's in my 10 cc band which is less than I had after my first fill. I thought I would immediately gain weight. I feel so much better and I am eating more but I am eating better foods. I didn't realize until after the un-fill that I really was not eating the right foods. It is so easy to fall back into old habits.

I am trying to tell the difference between esophageal spasms and too tight? It comes and goes and when it is happening it is even with liquids. Had .25 cc removed two weeks ago and no difference. Anyone experience this? I was banded 18 months ago have lost 120 pounds with really no complications until recently. Have figured out that the band does not like stress and closes right up. That is why I got the small unfull but not helping. Worried that it is something else.

Wow. I am shocked at how many people are having this problem. I started experiencing the 'night coughs' about a month ago after a stomach flu. It seems to be a tad random but the last week it has been consistant. I went to the band dr when the stomach flu was finishing up. He ordered a x-ray and said that it doesn't appear the band has slipped. If I still experienced it after a week, go back to the normal dr to look into GERD medication.

However, after reading all of your stories, I think my band must have slipped or something. The only relief I can get is if I sleep upright. Laying down, I get the night cough and throwing up slime with a bit of food that tasted what I ate last.

If I do have a band slippage, I am wondering if I get it fixed, what is the likelyhood that it will happen again? I am a pretty careful bandster. I am constantly listening to my body and just all of a sudden this started. I can't think of what might have caused the slippage. And if it is going to happen again, is it worth fixing it or just getting it taken out???

I've been banded 2 years. Not sure if I can go a lifetime with visits to fix the band every few years....

Well my band did NOT slip but any time I have a fill, I get GERD. My doctor says I just have a sensitive stomach so we UNFILLED my band and there is nothing in it. As a result, I've gained back 20 lbs. I don't know what to do. I can't keep a fill in me and I gain weight without it. I've gone back and forth to the MD 1 or 2 times a month. It's embarrassing. Anyone else have this?

I wanted to give y'all a quick update. After the barium swallow last year, the surgeon (Dr. Bagnato of Albany, GA) felt like the original band (4 cc) was too small for my stomach (remember that I had a memory of him saying "it was a tight fit, but we made it fit" when coming out of surgery, and I quizzed him about it at my 6 week checkup?) and the guidelines now state that if there is a hiatal hernia, it should be fixed before the band is installed. It used to be that they felt the band would fix GERD and hiatal hernias, now they know it does not in many people.

I fought with the insurance company (Definity) regarding removing the existing band, fixing the hiatal hernia, and replacing with a larger (10cc) band. First they stated it was pre-existing, and once I reminded them that THEY had approved of the original band being placed and they paid 100%, they came back with that they no longer allow bariatric surgery, even if they did originally. Their final offer was they would pay for the hiatal hernia repair, but I had to pay to get the band removed and for the new band to be installed. I finally gave up and changed insurance (Aetna) in January 2009, and fought with them, mostly arguments regarding faxes being received and then that it was a replacement, not altogether new band, so I shouldn't have to go through the 6 mos diet and multi-disciplinary review again. They approved the removal, fixing of the hiatal hernia, and replacement of the band, in late July.

Between the fight with Definity, marriage troubles, and my Mom dying in December, I managed to regain the 60 I lost plus 40 more. I am miserable with all the health issues being back (fibromyalgia with Migraines, blood sugar out of whack, and knees and hips crippling me with osteoarthritis) and mad at myself for regaining the weight. If nothing else, it reminds me of why I got the band to start with: to stop the gaining of weight, help me lose weight, and reducing the agony of the hips and knees.

My surgery is scheduled for 8/28/09.

Highest weight before surgery (1/06): 282

Weight at surgery (4/06): 262

Lowest weight after surgery (8/07): 219

Weight now (8/09): 319

Edited by Sherrirbgr
weight

Well my band did NOT slip but any time I have a fill, I get GERD. My doctor says I just have a sensitive stomach so we UNFILLED my band and there is nothing in it. As a result, I've gained back 20 lbs. I don't know what to do. I can't keep a fill in me and I gain weight without it. I've gone back and forth to the MD 1 or 2 times a month. It's embarrassing. Anyone else have this?

You might want to ask the Dr to schedule an upper GI series (EGD) to see if you have an ulcer or a hiatal hernia. You might also want to ask your surgeon what size band he put in. It is possible that the band is too small.

Hey guys, the same thing happened to me. Only when all was said and done, my stomach had herniated through my band. You really need to get a barium swallow. This can cause stomach erosion which can lead to a perforation then sepsis. Usually an unfill, full liquids for two weeks and then start refilling in three months is the treatment. I am just now starting back on solid foods. Really, go get it checked.

Hi All -

GO GET AN UN-FILL! The last fill I had was in March, so this sounds bizzarre - but do it.

I have been having the same problem over the last month and it has only gotten worse. I originally went to my LapBand doc, he took an x-ray saying my band may have slipped, but it didn't. Then he told me nothing is wrong with the band and to go to someone else to get treated for GERD.

I went as far as having an EGD today with a gastrologist, and he said everything inside of me looked fine except that my band seemed extra tight. He said he could barely get the scope camera through it!!

I am going in first thing in the morning to get an unfill. I am not sure how much yet (I have 8cc's in a 10cc band). And I am assuming that should give me relief asap.

Oh my I thought it was just me. I was banded a year ago and havent really had any trouble. After my last (3rd) fill this February, I have had difficulty eating. I thought it was normal, you know, the lap band preventing me from eating. Well, I deployed overseas a couple months later, and now here I am, and started "coughing at night" after a bout with a viral infection in my lungs. Yes, the Water spicket out the nose awakening me from the little sleep I get. The lovely taste of what I ate earlier coming back to haunt me. Sounds like I have the same problem, but will have to wait till I can get a flight home....Please keep posting info so I have some guidance as to what to do. It is not as easy as just getting on plane and coming home from here. Thanks to everyone for sharing!

I got my un-fill today. I feel MUCH better already. The strange thing is that the last fill I got was in Sept 08 - I got .5cc's. Then in April 09 I got .25 removed. Now since this incident I asked to get another .5cc's removed. I feel much better. I'm not sure about how the restriction will hold up - I haven't eaten yet today (just a smoothie). Hopefully the reflux will stop completely and I will be able to maintain my weight. I am at 164 and am totally fine at this weight. Of course loosing another 10 or so would be great- but not if I have the terrible reflux. I guess my tentative plan is to keep this fill level for a few months and depending on the scale, I might increase a bit. At thing at this point my stomach just needs a break.

The great part is that we have the band! So we can continue to fill/unfill as needed!

But - I would suggest - with reflux problems, first thing is to get an un-fill!

This exactly my problem also but it's been going on for years. I get filled and the liquid reflux comes immediately I can hold out for maybe two weeks / I get unfilled and 20 pounds comes back on. It's been a roller coaster. I'm self pay and the barium swallows cost a lot each time they do and they don't find anything wrong. I actually feel I'm going to drown in the night. (I doesn't help that I lost a friend who died in the night after vomiting and aspirating)

It's so sad and upsetting because I spend $17,500 on this which like to break me and now I can't even give it a chance to work.

Cashley, that is very disturbing. Was your friend a lapbander? That has always scared me. I will wake up from a sleep with the Water spicket or the reflux. I thought, what if I had taken my sleeping pills, Ambien, would I wake up? I hope your friend didnt suffer too much. And I feel bad you had to pay all yours and still dont have the satisfaction. There are more problems with lapband than I thought. I wonder if I would have done this if I had known all this. Dont get me wrong, the 110 lbs gone is a miracle to me. But it comes at great risk. I have not been able to eat since February. I kept thinking it would get better and my stomach would stretch or what ever it does. And this heat over here is like 120 degrees everyday. We have to drink lots of water, so much so, i get sick and am now throwing up liquids. sighhhhh

I have the coughing and slime all the time, not just at night. No liquids coming up. I had a scope and it's not acid reflux. I'm totally unfilled and back at my surgery weight - very discouraged, but I think it's my fault for overeating. I can eat just like I did before I was banded. I'm embarassed to go in to the doctor, but I know I need to. I'm just dreading the skinny yoga nurse telling me to eat less. :w00t:

235/230

Hi all. Well my reflux is back again. sleeping upright the last 4 weeks or so has been terrible. I hate it! The meds (Nexium and Protonix) haven't done anything. After talking with a fellow bandster, she suggested trying to get another unfill since that fixed the prob last time. I have an appt tomorrow to get that done.

I tried calling the gastrologist again to see what he had to say. He started telling me to try a lactose free diet. I thought 'seriously? This guy is shooting in the dark on this one.' My friend said her Dr said sometimes the stomach slips up through the band a bit and causes these symptoms. Usually it is triggered from throwing up. I am just hoping this doesn't keep happening.

yep - it happened to me too.:)

I was just rebanded on Nov 5, 2009. (originally banded 9/07). I started getting reflux off/on. It progressively got worse. I was taking pepcid AC every night. Then my friends noticed I had a "little cough" during the day. (I did it so often I didn't even notice it!). Couple times I woke up with acid coming out of my nose!

I got sick, and threw up multiple times one night. I believe that is when my band slipped. After a few times, I realized what I was throwing up, wasn't something that should be in my stomach. It was dark brown. (basically it was blood). I felt sooo tired from having to sleep upright for weeks (thinking that would stop the reflux). Everytime I would start to go into a deep sleep, I would start coughing. I think my esophogus would relax, and the contents of my belly would just come right up it. I called the doc on call @ 5am. He wasn't a lap band doc. He ordered me a prescription for anti nausea, and said to go directly to the ER if I couldn't hold liquids down. (I stopped puking @ 3am). I went on liquids and it seemed to get a little better.

Oh, and I had to sleep in another room (for weeks) because my coughing all night was keeping my hubbie up - and he needed to sleep so he could go to work!

The next week, I went to a support meeting and talked to MY lapband doctor. He said, get into my office in the a.m. This is NOT right. You should not be having these symptoms. The next day, he did an immediate total unfill.. MAN WHAT A RELIEF! I felt wonderful. Had a barium swallow @ 2pm. Went home and slept soundly that night for the first time in months.

Well, I thought everything was fixed.. but the doc called me @ 7am to see how I was. He said the xray showed my stomach had prolapsed up thru the band.:) The stitches even came undone! Said the only way to fix it was surgery.

So, a week and 1/2 later - rebanded with a new LAP-BAND® APL (had the VG 10 cm before). I FEEL GREAT.:bored: I am bummed that there is a higher % of it happening more than once though.

So, Please - do NOT ignore your symptoms - tell your doc, and get it fixed. It can escalate to be a dangerous situation.

I am a couple weeks out from my surgery. Still on mushies, but sooo glad to be able to sleep laying down thru the night without reflux! WAHOOO!