Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Acid Reflux

Mgallagator -

Well, for me, it was my band causing the non-acid reflux. A sign in my doctor's office called it "night cough". Very polite way of putting it, wasn't it?

My night cough went away when I had all of the fill removed from my band. My band was slipped and I just had it repaired... 2 days ago. Good luck.

Has anyone else had the liquids backing up into their bronchial tubes at night? Not acid though -- liquid, like whatever I drank last plus whatever sinus secretions/saliva I have swallowed during the night. I have ruined some good pillow cases and now sleep with a towel!!!
Yes, I've had this. At least the description. And I've had acid reflux, so I know that the two are very different. The "liquids coming up" normally happens to me if I try to lay down while I'm "stuck" OR if I dize off before something has completely cleared. I put "stuck" in quotes because there's stuck stuck, as in I have to bring something up... and then there's "stuck" where I'm not bringing anything up, but there's unrelieved/prolonged pressure. If I feel that pressure, and lay down, I will bring up what's in my esophagus (normally slimy, and tasting faintly of whatever I last ate, but not acidy at all). As a matter of fact this happened about a week ago. I was having the pressure, feeling generally crappy, and sat on the couch to watch some tv. I dozed off, mostly upright but leaning slightly, and proceeded to be awoken maybe 5 different times by non-acid liquids backing up into my throat. It would wake me up, I'd swallow, and then fall right back asleep (which I absolutely can't do when it's reflux).

My guess - and I'm no doctor - it has to do with the onset of sleep, the relaxing of our muscles/organs, and the nature of the esophagus to clear itself.

So, when you go to sleep and then get the liquid backing up, how do you feel before you're asleep? Are you feeling "just fine" or are you having some signs of pressure (not necessarily "being stuck" so much as "hmm, something's there") in your esophageal area?

I too had this problem. It was bad, I could barely sleep. I went to the doctor who did my surgery, more or less knowing what the outcome would be,and I was right. The band had slipped (more stomach now above the band & mushed inside the band making for very little passage through the band). Complete unfill. I could chug a whole glass of Water again. Worked really hard not to regain weight, and only gained about 5 pounds in the 4 months it was unfilled. I could have gained 25, it felt so good to eat normally. Went back in August for refill, not as much as before, but definately enough. I am a wiser bandster now. I am very careful. When I get a hint of gastritis, and I do get it, I take an antiacid & restrict food to blandish mushies until the irritation is gone. I have been able to avoid the more serious complications so far, but know they could be around the corner if I am not very watchful. I have read a lot & think there is a very hagh rate of some kind of complication in long term banding. I got mine 1/15/07, but does that mean we should not be banded? I was 215 at banding & am 158 now. It has been well worth it to me. I only want to lose 20 more pounds. The doctor told me if you are having night coughs and reguritating into your nose & broncial tubes at night, forget it you need to be unfilled. I think it makes sense to try the antiacids, not eating or drinking at night, mushies, etc, but if it's still there you will probably need an unfill. Usually after letting your stomach heal you can have a refill. They can tell with the floroscope if the band has gone back to an acceptible position. I figure I'm going to be walking a tightrope with this thing. If I can avoid serious complications long enough to lose 20 more pounds, I'll unfill & rest my stomach, & refill it later if I start gaining weight, and then unfill,etc & soforth.

Here's what I have learned about avoiding complications:

1. I don't do well with alcohol & spicey foods & must avoid them.

2. I must chew, chew, chew.

3. If I don't observe the above I develop a mild gastric irritation & must go to antiacids & muchies.

4. If I don't do this I will start to throw up, which is a major contributing factor in slippage.

5. If I don't do these things I will start to have the reflux problems at night & soon will not be able to even drink fluids easily. At this point I will have to go & get unfilled which may or may not end my life as a bandster.

6. I must be very careful in my eating & face the fact that, for me at least, the possibily of complications is always lurking.

How did they "repair" your band after it slipped? I got some aloe vera juice, mixed it with Crystal Light and it has DEFINITELY helped. I see the MD in 3 days and can't wait to have this unfilled. I hope it hasn't slipped!

mgallagator, they repaired by band via surgery... my surgeon actually replaced my band, instead of just repositioning it, because he said there was a lot of scar tissue and my stomach had sort of "attached" to my band. (sorry if TMI... lol)

Jenny

I my case unfilling my band was all that was necessary. A slipped band has actually moved up & is no long sitting straight. If it's not too badly slipped when it's unfilled, & the pressure is off, it just slips back into the correct (or close enough to correct) position.

I my case unfilling my band was all that was necessary. A slipped band has actually moved up & is no longer sitting straight. If it's not too badly slipped when it's unfilled, & the pressure is off, it just slips back into the correct (or close enough to correct) position.

I have been having problems at night since my last fill about a week ago. I thought I was probably at my "sweet spot", but I was frustrated at how slow the last 20 lbs is coming off. I asked for a small fill, and now I am regretting it! I can't sleep very long at night, and I wake up coughing and gasping for air with lots of liquid coming up. Yuck! After reading all of these posts, I am going to go in and get an "unfill" tomorrow. I wish I had been patient and just left good things alone. I guess I got greedy! Well, next time I will know better. Thanks for all of the good information!

I too am having this problem. I have had only 1.0 cc in my band, and eating like crazy ! I went in and had a very small amount .3 put in, and now I am coughing at nite. I have already had a slip which I had repaired 2 years ago. (I have been banded almost 5). I have gained almost 20 pds and now I have to have the measly 1.3 cc taken out. Feels like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

That sounds just like me! This morning I feel like I have the worst case of the flu. My entire body aches. What did you finally do?

Okay, people, here is my band philosophy: The band is promoted as tool to help you to be satisfied with eating less (healthy) food. Some foods and drinks you won't be able to tolerate. Other than that, I don't think anyone signed on to develop reflux, heartburn, pain when eating, liquid coming out of their nose during the night or the whole host of complications people seem willing to put up with. I know I didn't. Having the doctor tell you to stop eating or drinking after a certain time, or taking a decongestant, etc.. is not the answer. Why shouldn't you be able to take a drink of Water before bedtime? Or during the night? That's normal. If you can't - in my opinion - something is wrong. No amount of weight loss is worth putting up with being unhealthy or miserable. I don't care if I lose another ounce. I was overfilled and developed reflux, heartburn and pain and when I got a slight unfill they resolved. My husband had GERD all his adult life, a hiatal hernia, aspirated food during the night and died of esophageal cancer 3 years ago. This is nothing to mess around with.

I was banded on 3/18/09 and for the past 2 days I have the feeling of food being caught in my throat it doesn't hurt but it is very annoying can anyone relate ...I tried to make myself vomit but nithing came up ...my mother is a nurse and said it might nbe from my sinuses

This sounds a lot like a problem that I've been having but a little different. My problems have gotten so bad that I don't eat in the evenings at all, it seems to come right back up or it will happen that night. I've complteltey givien up drinking (no occasional margaritas) becuase that's the kiss of death, I wake up through the night with the burning in my chest. Mine IS acidic, and when I throw up my vomit is a dark or black color. I'll do ANYTHING to keep from puking, which includes not eating. here's the complicated part. I had pneumonia a few weeks ago that was accompanied by severe upper back pain. Yesterday my fever and pain started, but the chest pain is horrible. I don't think it's acid reflux becuase I've taken everything, pepcid, mylanta, etc and that doesnt' seem to help. I'm not sure if I have a band problem, or my symptoms were brought on by the penumonia. How can you tell if you have a slip?