Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2024 Surgery Buddies!

This is the type of abdominal binder I was given at the hospital. It has Velcro& easy to put on/take off. I really liked it and find it helps keep things supported especially getting in& out of bed.

IMG_0258.jpeg

March 18th was my surgery. I’m really struggling with the liquid phase as I feel everything is the same over and over but I’m pushing myself. I go back to work soon so I’m excited for that.

On 3/24/2024 at 10:58 AM, GrammyMooMoo said:

I almost feel guilty, but I am actually feeling very well, I have not had any bad pain at all, my highest number was a 3. I have been able to get all of my fluids in, my Protein and my medications/supplements. I was actually wondering if the doctor had really done the surgery. 😁

At this point I'm wondering why I waited so long to do this.

TBH, this gives me hope. My surgery is in two days (March 28), and I've been trying my best not to stress out about it. Hope your recovery continues to go smoothly!

On 3/25/2024 at 11:17 AM, gracie25 said:

My gastric sleeve is tomorrow at 6 am! I'm starting to feel nervous. Are there any last tips I should know?

How did it go?

I had my SADI yesterday morning. I’m doing well but uncomfortable. I also had a hiatal hernia repair that’s added to it.

24 minutes ago, Mercury.Belle said:

How did it go?

I had my SADI yesterday morning. I’m doing well but uncomfortable. I also had a hiatal hernia repair that’s added to it.

my surgery went very smoothly. lots of gas pain but walking helps a lot! getting Water and Protein Shakes to finally stay in my stomach.

Hi Everyone,

I am a March 2024 Bariatric By-pass patient. I am only into my 3rd week post op and I am down 50 lbs and counting. I am still learning the ins and outs of how to eat again. Drinking too fast or too much triggers consequences. Also, with eating too fast or too much will trigger throwing up. However, by eating the ways that are prescribed will render the proper results. I am very impressed with the results I have seen thus far.

I've been struggling with the eating too fast. It's a problem i've always had, but now its having more of an impact on me (obviously).

I've luckily only done it twice, with today being the most recent, and I get so mad at myself for letting it happen. Any tricks or advice to slow down. It is probably as simple as taking a tablespoon of food and counting to 50 or something.

Surgery was 3/27 and it’s been a struggle with keeping down Water. I’ve thrown up a few times so that makes me nervous to drink more. I’m just trying to take it one day at a time. I’ve noticed that I’m a lot colder now too

I had a hard time getting enough Water at 1st as well. I hope today is better for you. My Dr prescribed a nausea medicine that dissolves in the mouth which was helpful. I had my surgery 3/18 and can now get 6-8oz in 1 hour.

And feeling cold is a very common side effect I'm learning... a nice warm blanket when leaving the hospital would be awesome!

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Emeraude said:

I had a hard time getting enough Water at 1st as well. I hope today is better for you. My Dr prescribed a nausea medicine that dissolves in the mouth which was helpful. I had my surgery 3/18 and can now get 6-8oz in 1 hour.

And feeling cold is a very common side effect I'm learning... a nice warm blanket when leaving the hospital would be awesome!

This is absolutely accurate for my experience as well. I had my surgery on March 11th and after a week I was able to drink more. I transition from drinking more to wanting to eat and learning how not to eat or drink too fast or too much. I am still learning to be careful about not eating too much or too fast because you will feel it in your throat and have a nauseous feeling. And perhaps, you may throw up to relieve yourself. The important lesson here is to measure your food at the prescribed portion by your physician and other instructions given.

Edited by FormerSGT

On 3/29/2024 at 4:43 AM, simonne_a_lisa said:

Surgery was 3/27 and it’s been a struggle with keeping down Water. I’ve thrown up a few times so that makes me nervous to drink more. I’m just trying to take it one day at a time. I’ve noticed that I’m a lot colder now too

This has been my experience too. My surgery was 3/28, and I'm barely now getting down a little Water without it coming back up. I'm trying to figure out how to get down my crushed meds if I can't get down much water.

14 minutes ago, NovelTee said:

This has been my experience too. My surgery was 3/28, and I'm barely now getting down a little Water without it coming back up. I'm trying to figure out how to get down my crushed meds if I can't get down much Water.

I’m still struggling with that. I don’t do well with taking pills and taking them while drinking out of a medicine cup is even more of a challenge. Yesterday I was able to drink about 12oz of water throughout the day and I added a Gatorade zero pouch for some electrolytes, and I was able to keep that all down

Had my sleeve done 3/13! Just over two weeks post op

On 3/30/2024 at 9:25 AM, simonne_a_lisa said:

I’m still struggling with that. I don’t do well with taking pills and taking them while drinking out of a medicine cup is even more of a challenge. Yesterday I was able to drink about 12oz of Water throughout the day and I added a Gatorade zero pouch for some electrolytes, and I was able to keep that all down

I tried cutting my pill into small pieces rather than crushing them into powder, and I was finally able to get them down. Yesterday I was able to get down a little over 40 oz, thank goodness. I know they were super ready to send me to the hydration clinic if I wasn't able to get my water intake up. Today has been much smoother with water and a Protein Shake down so far.

On 3/26/2024 at 7:09 PM, DD_losingin2024 said:

March 18th was my surgery. I’m really struggling with the liquid phase as I feel everything is the same over and over but I’m pushing myself. I go back to work soon so I’m excited for that.

I was March 19th, and honestly after 2 weeks of (really disgusting) pre-op shakes, everything on the full liquid diet feels amazing in comparison. Try switching up some of your liquids maybe? Don't be afraid to throw the rest of the portions of things like Soup in the freezer so you can get more variety in. You can always use them up later when making purees, etc.

(I fantasize about the puree stage at least twice a day LOL)