Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2024 Surgery Buddies!

On 3/28/2024 at 3:27 PM, TinyBink said:

I've been struggling with the eating too fast. It's a problem i've always had, but now its having more of an impact on me (obviously).

I've luckily only done it twice, with today being the most recent, and I get so mad at myself for letting it happen. Any tricks or advice to slow down. It is probably as simple as taking a tablespoon of food and counting to 50 or something.

My team suggested putting the spoon down between mouthfuls, and waiting 3 to 5 minutes between each tablespoon for at least the first month. I found at first it was easiest to do while walking around my house: stash my Soup at the table, stop to drink a tablespoon of it, and walk back and forth for few minutes. (It also kept me walking more often, cause I know it's good for me but sometimes my stomach muscles just don't want the jostling)

My RNY gastric bypass surgery was at the blink of dawn on March 19th, 1 night in hospital afterwards. Two days of Clear Liquids at home before they approved the full liquid diet.

I feel like I'm doing mostly good?

Definitely chillier all the time -- I went from being someone who'd wear tank tops around the house in (Canadian) winter to being never without a sweater or throw blanket.

The full liquids, I don't hate it. My team gave me instructions to have a minimum of 1 Protein Shake a day, slowly moving up to 2. Beyond that, as long as I'm getting 60-80 g of Protein per day, they don't care if its whey protein added to Soup, or greek yogurt, etc. I also caved and bought a couple protein soup mixes / oatmeal from BP. Bacon and cheese instant soup was a life-saver those first few days. I had my first Tomato juice today, which I never used to be a fan of but it hits different after being on shakes for so long. (I was on these disgusting Medi Meal shakes for 2 weeks pre-op and haaaated every minute of them)

My last bandages came off today. Mildly grossed out but trying not to think about it. 😆

Band removed 3/26. Sleeve to follow. Good to see a fellow Floridian here (TinyBINK).

Eating slower is a challenge, I try to eat with someone around which is not easy, It makes me more aware somehow.

New learned behavior is just that LEARNED. My band failed because I couldn't learn. Now I believe I can do it, it takes a lot of mental ability to learn something new as we get older.

Had my sleeve on the 28th of March. Had a few problems with pain around the port used to pull the stomach out, so stayed in hospital a little longer than usual. Hopefully out tomorrow!

On 04/01/2024 at 06:25, AMJ2598 said:

Had my sleeve on the 28th of March. Had a few problems with pain around the port used to pull the stomach out, so stayed in hospital a little longer than usual. Hopefully out tomorrow!

Fingers crossed!!

On 1/21/2024 at 7:46 PM, Pines said:

Pines we have the same vsg date mines was March 6 and girl let me tell you I’m struggling but I’m fighting lol. Many blessings to you and everyone else.

On 1/21/2024 at 7:46 PM, Pines said:

After seeing the Feb 2024 thread and realizing my surgery is only 6 days later, thought I’d start a thread and see if there’s anyone else scheduled in March? I’m having VSG on March 6. I’ve been planning it since last June and am very excited! Any March 2024 Buddies out there? 😀

How are you struggling, Jah’linah? There are so many very experienced people on this board, I hope you’ll ask for help with whatever you are struggling with. I’m a newbie like you, but there are people here who have been in our shoes and they freely share great information. Blessings to you too, surgery twin! 😀

Today I was able to eat a little more and drink more too. Gas pain in my chest after each sip or bite is really aggravating but I have my gas-x to help. So far the hardest part is walking, I have 7 incisions and still have to sleep sitting up. Hoping that pain goes away soon ☺️

On 4/1/2024 at 2:53 AM, Edward said:

Band removed 3/26. Sleeve to follow. Good to see a fellow Floridian here (TinyBINK).

Eating slower is a challenge, I try to eat with someone around which is not easy, It makes me more aware somehow.

New learned behavior is just that LEARNED. My band failed because I couldn't learn. Now I believe I can do it, it takes a lot of mental ability to learn something new as we get older.

Hi!

Thats what I need to cut myself slack on. It's the grace period to learn a new behavior. Its been humbling thats for sure.

My nutrionist approved me to go on the soft food phase. After Protein Water, shakes everything just tastes so much better! Currently going to try and see how much of one whole egg, one egg white and a bit of avocado I can get through,

Good Morning! Here is a update; I'm almost at my one month mark (on the 6th), I've lost a total of 40lbs. 20 Pre Op and 20 post op. I'm currently on pureed foods, its going good. I eat mostly eggs with cottage cheese, ricotta bake and sweet potato. To help ensure I reach my Protein goals, I will have a fairlife Protein Shake or Vidafuel. If you haven't heard of Vidafuel, its good to have, especially if you're on the go a lot. One 2oz shot is 16grams of protein, my dietician recommended it. There are two flavors Mixed berry and Orange; orange is by far the better flavor. I'm struggling with my Water intake, its been difficult to get 64oz in; I'm only getting about 43oz, so I've been doing hydrating IVs. My doctor prescribed hyoscyamine and that has helped me tremendously; it relaxes muscles in the digestive tract and reduces stomach acid. I have been walking and I think that's also helped with gas pains. Hope everyone is doing good!

My surgery was scheduled March 13th! I'm currently 3 weeks post-op and things have started to become tricky with the pureed diet! I hope your surgery went well and you're doing great!!!

1 hour ago, TMC0211 said:

Good Morning! Here is a update; I'm almost at my one month mark (on the 6th), I've lost a total of 40lbs. 20 Pre Op and 20 post op. I'm currently on pureed foods, its going good. I eat mostly eggs with cottage cheese, ricotta bake and sweet potato. To help ensure I reach my Protein goals, I will have a fairlife Protein Shake or Vidafuel. If you haven't heard of Vidafuel, its good to have, especially if you're on the go a lot. One 2oz shot is 16grams of Protein, my dietician recommended it. There are two flavors Mixed berry and Orange; orange is by far the better flavor. I'm struggling with my Water intake, its been difficult to get 64oz in; I'm only getting about 43oz, so I've been doing hydrating IVs. My doctor prescribed hyoscyamine and that has helped me tremendously; it relaxes muscles in the digestive tract and reduces stomach acid. I have been walking and I think that's also helped with gas pains. Hope everyone is doing good!

SO happy for you!! Sounds like you've been doing all the necessary things needed for your health! I'm, however, struggling with the pureed diet. Do you have any recommendations for pureed foods? I'm struggling tremendously with the textures...and craving to just CHEW. lol. I'm going to look into Vidafuel today im so glad i came across your reply!

1 hour ago, TMC0211 said:

Hi all, thought I would give an update and would love to hear how others March Buddies are doing!

I’m 3weeks post op (3/18) & have a bit more energy now that I’m taking vitamins! Still progressing very slow with food. I’m on puréed foods and able to get about 2T when I do eat something. But, mainly takes me most the day to get my 2 Protein Shakes in & started drinking Protein Water as well. I’m 5’ 8” & “big boned” so my nutritionist upped my protein target to 80g. I’m Averaging 350-420 calories/day, not due to nutritionist just because I’m not able to take in much. What are the rest of you averaging? Is this normal for 3 weeks?

Also, Hoping to get into a better walking routine. Confession: have not been doing a lot of walking, except when I’m shopping! I am parking farther away to get more steps in so making little adjustments.

And, my scale says 22lbs lost since day of surgery!

Hope you are all doing well on your journey.

I'm going to jump in here and say my insurance is making me go to (4) once a month primary doctor visits for nutritional counseling before I can move forward with Sleeve after my Band removal March 26th. Psych Eval next month so it won't be until end of July before surgery.

Doctor says no pain from staples but some people have nausea. My ex-port site was only pain from surgery, no gas.

Is he correct? Does anyone have pain inside at staples?