Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shake recipes

I have finally hit the end of my rope with Protein supplements. Every thing about them makes me want to

I'm not a food for Breakfast eater, I like to drink my breakfast because that's when I take a bulk of my medications. I need good bariatric friendly protein shake/smoothie recipes. I'm willing to put powders or premade shakes in as long as I CANNOT taste it. If you have a good website or cookbook with recipes in it, that'd be nice too.

Thanks, everyone!

I put sugar-free coffee syrups in mine. I like the taste of coffee so sometimes I add dehydrated Decaf coffee to my chocolate shake powder.

I really like to make this shake, 1 cup almond milk, 1 scope chocolate Protein Powder, a few shakes of dehydrated decaf, shake it up, then add using your intuition as a guide coconut Syrup, amaretto syrup, hazelnut syrup, chocolate syrup (smaller amount on this one because it will make it taste very sweet) and heavy on cinnamon syrup and toasted marshmallow syrup.

I also make a lot of other drink variations with those syrups as well with and without the dehydrated coffee,

If you can have salt, then 1 cup of almond milk, one scoop of vanilla Protein powder, caramel syrup to taste, and a dash of Kosher salt, is pretty good.

If you like Peanut Butter, consider adding peanut butter powder to your shake as well as chocolate syrup and maybe some bananas.

Unflavored protein is great too, but if you have vanilla and adding fruits and/or veggies tends to cancel out the vanilla taste.

Thank you! Do you have a brand of Protein powder you like? I have some "unflavored" left, but I can still taste it.

I just get the GNC brand normally because they cost the least per scoop in a 5 lb tub.

If you like milk, there is a heap of Protein in it. Add milk powder or yogurt with fruit and its good and easy on the pocket

2 minutes ago, summerseeker said:

If you like milk, there is a heap of Protein in it. Add milk powder or yogurt with fruit and its good and easy on the pocket

Our milk has 8 g of Protein per 8 oz. At that amount, I can't use it as a Meal Replacement. I may looking into milk powder to add to the milk. Thanks!

This is a favorite breakfast smoothie for me as well as my 15 year old daughter. I'm pre-op right now, just as an FYI, and my daughter is an active kid at a healthy weight who likes to start the day off with a quick, nutritious breakfast. I have a 16oz blender cup, and this fills it fully, but if you have a 22 oz or larger, it would let you make it a little thinner. For me, the ginger is key to masking any taste from the powder. I use the kind that comes in a squeeze bottle from the produce department. I don't add any sweetener and I personally love the natural flavor of it. The blueberries disguise the green from the spinach in case the color turns you off. You can weigh and measure everything to be sure how much you are getting the first time around, but I tend to just wing it now since I've done it so often. I may make some changes post-op based on nutritionist recommendations, but overall I think this is a pretty solid smoothie recipe that you can change up in several ways with different fruits. Oh, you can also use Greek yogurt instead of skyr if that's not as easy to find, but I'm a big fan of the Siggie's brand skyr. I also love to buy the mixed fruit blends from the freezer section to get lots of variety in one bag. All of the produce I use is frozen, including the avocado.

Oh no! I just realized I entered hemp seed twice in my recipe. That should be a tsp of chia seed!

Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 11.45.20 AM.png

Edited by NickelChip

On 10/27/2023 at 10:42 AM, LindsayT said:

Our milk has 8 g of Protein per 8 oz. At that amount, I can't use it as a Meal Replacement. I may looking into milk powder to add to the milk. Thanks!

Have you tried Fairlife milk? It's just ultra filtered milk. I pick mine up at Target. The skim milk is 80 cals for 8ozs and 13g of Protein. I will either make my morning coffee with just that and add some collagen for an extra boost or use it to mix my protein powder in for an extra dose of protein. (I typically make coffee protein and use Chike and have currently tried the Javy Instant Coffee Protein.)

I can't help too much with protein brands as I'm still looking around for a decent powder. Personally I love the Fairlife Nutrition Plan ready made Protein Shakes, but they can get difficult to find or pricey. I enjoy them with my coffee either cold or hot. The chocolate one also just makes a great hot chocolate warmed up and 30g of protein.

49 minutes ago, Shanna NYC said:

Have you tried Fairlife milk? It's just ultra filtered milk. I pick mine up at Target. The skim milk is 80 cals for 8ozs and 13g of Protein. I will either make my morning coffee with just that and add some collagen for an extra boost or use it to mix my Protein Powder in for an extra dose of Protein. (I typically make coffee protein and use Chike and have currently tried the Javy Instant Coffee Protein.)

I can't help too much with protein brands as I'm still looking around for a decent powder. Personally I love the Fairlife Nutrition Plan ready made Protein Shakes, but they can get difficult to find or pricey. I enjoy them with my coffee either cold or hot. The chocolate one also just makes a great hot chocolate warmed up and 30g of protein.

I do use Fairlife milk if it has something in it, like light start carnation instant breakfast. By itself, it tastes like it's been sitting out too long.

Thanks, everyone, for the fantastic recipes! I've been experimenting, and here's a game-changer I discovered: the "Berry Bliss Delight." Blend together 1 cup almond milk, a scoop of vanilla Protein powder (I prefer GNC brand), a handful of mixed berries (frozen or fresh), and a dollop of Greek yogurt. It's a burst of flavor, packed with protein, and totally masks the usual supplement taste 🍓🥤💖

see my work info

Edited by Janeer32