Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dayton Ohio Bandster

Is there anyone in the Dayton Area who has been banded? I know of one support group that meets once a month. Looking for other individuals who have been banded in this area? I was banded through Dayton Bariatric Surgeons by Dr. Clarey. If anyone is interested in chatting or getting a group together in Dayton let me know. If you know of a group please let me know!

There were several bandsters support groups in this area. However I havent seen anyone post about that on here in along time. I do know that the hospitals have support groups as well. Kettering has one with their drs. Good Sam and also The Valley have one each. I will let you know if I hear of any meetings. I am not banded as of yet...however, I do take care of the band patients and do all the post op teaching for them while they are in the hospital and make sure that they understand completely what they have to do and need to have at home when they get there. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you! By the way congratulations on your band!

Hi Jess! Yep, I'm here in the Dayton Area (Beavercreek to be specific). I had my banding done by Dr. Schumacher at Sycamore (part of the Kettering Network). Surgery was on 11/20. I am having my first fill today.

Where are you? How are you doing? When was your surgery? Who's your doc? Fill me in!

As for groups, no - I've not yet attended any "meetings". I truly am getting most of my support from this web site. I can get immediate answers & tips, vs waiting for a monthly meeting.

Write back soon!

Hi Firebolt I am in the New Carlisle area. I had my banding done by Dr.Clarey from Dayton Bariatric Surgeons. My surgery was done 8/13/07. I have gotten a lot of support from this site. I am glad to have found someone close who has been banded.I had my first fill during surgery and a second fill about two weeks ago. It went well. I hope your fill goes good. I am basically looking for buds in the Dayton area. I love this website! Well hope to hear from you soon! Merry Christmas.

Hi Jess! Yep, I'm here in the Dayton Area (Beavercreek to be specific). I had my banding done by Dr. Schumacher at Sycamore (part of the Kettering Network). Surgery was on 11/20. I am having my first fill today.

Where are you? How are you doing? When was your surgery? Who's your doc? Fill me in!

As for groups, no - I've not yet attended any "meetings". I truly am getting most of my support from this web site. I can get immediate answers & tips, vs waiting for a monthly meeting.

Write back soon!

Hello!

I'm in Beavercreek and banded a year ago. I've just had a fill that has me losing again. (whew)

If anyone knows of support groups in the area could you post the times and places? My surgeon is great, but the support group is too far for me to make it.

:)Hi Ladies! I'm glad to meet you both:)

Jess - My husband works in New Carlisle!

Annie - We live in the same neighborhood!

Thank goodness we've found eachother here on this terrific forum. I apologize it's taken me so long to respond back to both of you. It's been crazy driving kids everywhere during the holidays.

Well, I had my first fill on 12/20 (right before Christmas) and have been fine. I had some restriction the first couple of days, but have been able to eat a good amount if I allow myself. I've lost 15 lbs, but all of that was the first 2 weeks after surgery. Other than that 15 lbs, I've been stable. I guess it's good that I haven't gained over the holidays. I think it's been the wine that I've been indulging in as well as going out to dinner when my folks were in town.

I did go for a walk this afternoon (in between rain showers - I wish it would just snow!)

What are each of you doing for exercise? How are you doing? Write back and let me know - again, so glad to meet both of you!

Judy:clap2:

Did you guys survive the holidays? After the last fill that I had (to 3.3) I'm a bit too tight, but am enjoying some weight loss for a change. If it still feels too tight when I go back in a few weeks I will have a tiny bit removed. Until then, I'm watching those pounds leave me. yea!

Firebolt, I sent you an email, did you get it? We live so close together we should really get together and compare notes. After the snow that we've had, cabin fever will set in pretty quick.

Hey Annie,

No, I didn't get your e-mail...who knows why. I even checked the spam box. Make sure to use this address:

rogerandjudygrant@sbcglobal.net

That one works for certain!

As for the holidays - yep, I did ok. Ate a little more than I "should have", but not near as much as I "would have" had I not had the band!

I agree, we should get together sometime & share notes. Maybe Panera for Coffee/Tea? I'm so glad to have found someone so close. Between you and Jess, we can have our own local support group - huh?

Talk to you soon,

Judy

Is there anyone in the Dayton Area who has been banded? I know of one support group that meets once a month. Looking for other individuals who have been banded in this area? I was banded through Dayton Bariatric Surgeons by Dr. Clarey. If anyone is interested in chatting or getting a group together in Dayton let me know. If you know of a group please let me know!

I don't know if this helps but you can attend our band support group in West Chester, OH north of Cincinnati. From south Dayton the drive is less than 30 minutes. You could call the office for details 513-939-BAND (2263).

Dr. Watkins, I think that was the initial office I went to...I really liked Cookie the nurse...Anyways because of insurance reason I wasn't covered...So I went self pay route a little closer to home. Your right West Chester is not that far I appreciate the invite.

Annie and Firebolt...Yes I would love to meet up at Panera sometime, that sounds so fun! The holidays were horrible. I did eat more than what I wanted...My father also passed away and I have just had a horrible time with all the snow...I am glad now that School starts up on Jan. 7. I have been hitting the gym. I go to Premiere Ladies Fitness in Huber Heights. I love that it's just women. I love their Zumba class. I am getting back on track. The good news in one month I lost 13.5 inches...and 10 lbs! Yeah! I was excited for that and when I got on the scale this morning I was down even more...I am so siked ladies. It is so nice to finally find ladies that are close to me who have the band...Annie I kinda like being restricted that much...It sounds weird but I was probably over restricted when they put in my band so I was so tight it was rough at first but then it got better and I loved the weight dropping...Sounds crazy but it was forcing me to stay busy and quite eating out of boredom..All I can say is my fill is doing good and I am thankful I have it..I have a total of 6cc's in a 10cc band. I love the idea of finding people close to you to share this adventure with..It's very nice...I am very lucky to have found you both! I hope you have a great couple of days. Talk to you both soon!

Hi Jess - Glad to hear from you. I too, am so glad to have found some close buddies.

I am thinking of taking the Zumba class at the Kettering Rec Ctr (it's at 4:30-5:30 on Tuesdays Annie, in case you want to join with me!!). Jess, can you tell me what zumba is like? It is easy enough for someone with two left feet and 100 extra lbs to get through?:omg:

I know I need to get my but to an excersice class, since I won't be as disciplined as I need to be on my own. I'm thinking of doing the classes on Tues/Thurs. They are only 45 minutes each, so I think that would be good for starters. Once I get some weight off, I can switch to the Mon/Wed/Fri classes.

I'm sorry to hear that your dad passed away. That has got to be very difficult to deal with while simultaneously dealing with losing your additiction to food. I think I would normally eat to make myself feel better. How are you handling the stress of the loss? Were you very close? Was his passing expected or sudden?

Good news for all of us: I was listening to a report on the news last night about the 'fat gene' and how MRI's show how dopamine is released when we overeat to make us feel better (same way it does for alcohol users, cocaine & heroine users). We have been using food as our "drug of choice". They found (and I'm certain we all *Know* this) that the dopamine released during exercise will replace the dopamine created by our addiction, thus we will feel better if we can get our lazy butts off the couch & exercise even when we don't feel like it.

Well, with that information - I'm feeling very tired & will probably go to bed at 9pm tonight! So much for my dopamine getting a boost tonight! (See - That's why I need to force myself to that darned exercise class!!!) My brain knows what's right, but sometimes I just can't get my feet/heart to move out the door! Do you ever get that way? Especially when it's snowy & cold outside.:help:

I've set a personal challenge from today until valentines day:

Current Weight............Goal Weight................Lbs to Loose

Annie - I'm very pleased to hear that your fill is working. Everytime we loose weight, we loose fat from our stomach, which loosens our bands. It is normal to loose weight, need a fill, loose more, need an additional fill, loose again, etc...Just keep up the good work, and when you start feeling less restriction again - go get a fill! Don't wait until you're frustrated! I've only got 2CC's in mine (only had 1 fill). I cannot wait until I get up to 4-5CC's! I have very little restriction & am using lots of willpower to get me through the day! Seriously - Let me know if you need an excercise buddy. I'm wanting to start at the Kettering Rec Ctr on Tues/Thurs 4:30-5:15...I would love to have an "Accountability Partner"!

Have a great weekend gals & talk to me soon!!

We all need the support!

support.gif

My Aunt goes to the rec in Washington Twp. She said they have Zumba their too. Zumba is latin dancing...It's pretty tough. But boy I just love the class! I am clumzy too, so it's hard at first just dont give up, they use a lot of basic moves so do it low impact..You will still get a workout! I think I still ate a little to much after dad's passing. He had been in a nursing home almost 6 years from a motorcycle accident. He was only 50 but he had a traumatic brain injury. We had decided not to treat him with anymore antibiotics, so we knew that we were letting him go, somehow it didn't make it any easier. I am thankful that he is not here and suffering anymore. So it was expected but no one knew when. I slept a lot.. It was also hard when the snow came.. Christmas was just hard all together so... I need to replace my dopamine in my brain, or atleast I am working on it..It's one day at a time...The other things is don't think about going out the door just do try not to think until your at the gym..Sometimes we talk our self out of things because we think so much..I find that if I just get up and get dressed I won't think of as many reasons to procrastinate..It's so hard Firebolt..I think it will still take awhile to get my brain to think like others and get this stubborn weight off but I am not giving up..I am about 20 lbs away from my first hundred and I am excited about that. Well gotta hurry and hit the gym!

Hello all,

I live in Dayton, Oh and I will be banded this year! I have researched the information and I know that this is what I want to do. In reading this talk forum, I see that the surgery and expectations are done differently in different states, with different Doctors, and different insurances. I have Anthem BC and know that this will be approved. My requirements consists of getting a referral from my primary Dr. (which I have), have a psych eval (which I have done), and see a nutritionist (which I have scheduled).

My questions... have anyone had a surgery done at Good Sam (I live in Englewood) with Dr. Sudiqui? Have anyone been to the informational meeting at Good Sam (they offer one where my husband can attend in the mornings with me)? The staff seems to be very friendly.

I called Miami Valley... but did not get a warm or fuzzy feeling. They would not share any information with me- they just wanted me to sign up for the informational session.

More questions... please share with me what to expect. I know that everyone's experience is different- but please, share the good, the bad, and the ugly. What was the hospital stay? Did you have to diet before the surgery? How many days were you off work? With hindsight being 20/20, what would you have done differently?

I am 5'2" and weigh 225. My BMI is 41 and I have high blood pressure. My weight is hard on my knees/legs. But, I am heading in the right direction to do something about it and I have the right frame of mind for it to do successful. I know that the band is the tool to support me to change... the change will come from a different mindset.

Thank you

Hi RB,

Dr. Sidiqui, was in on my surgery but Dr. Clarey performed it. He is really awesome surgeon I heard...I went with Dayton Bariatric Surgeons.. I wish I could have had the band earlier. It sounds like your doing the right thing... A lot of the threads on the home page should answer a lot of your questions but I can say this was the best decision I could have ever made...I have lost 80lbs and I am so very thankful! I had to have the preop diet and it wasn't fun but it really helped me get my priorities together about food and my addiction to it. I went to Gradview so I am not sure about Good Sam's hospital stay.. I don't think I would have done anything different except got the band sooner! Lots of luck keep us posted on your surgery!

Thanks Jess!

The Dayton Bariatric Website is very informative :whoo:. I did not research or call them :faint:. I do want to attend one of their

informational meetings:). My informational meeting is on 2/6/08 (I would love to attend one this month- I guess I am rushing it:car:). I am so excited :clap2: